Marlin 917v mods-super ultra tacticool

PDA

john917v
August 30, 2008, 03:02 PM
I've got a Marlin 917v, and I plan on doing some realistic (actually beneficial) mods to her. So far, I've got the following on the to-do list:
Remove more material between the stock and barrel,
Do the pen spring-trigger trick,
Make and attach a rubber 'barrel tamer' ring-about the size of the ones they sell,

What else do you think I should make? Keep in mind that I am a huge fan of the low-or-no buck mods.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 917v mods-super ultra tacticool" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rantingredneck
August 30, 2008, 03:04 PM
Buy more ammo??? :confused:

Geno
August 30, 2008, 03:11 PM
Some guys just gotta be tinkerin'. :neener: I haven't a clue as to what to suggest, but I'm tagging this thread for future reads...and to learn something. It sounds pretty interesting, especially per your no-to-low-cost requirement. :) Great thread idea!

Doc2005

john917v
August 30, 2008, 03:12 PM
I want to try out different types. I've shot the Winchester Supreme bullets, and they do seem to be the most accurate out of her so far. I'd also like to try hunting with the rifle.

john917v
August 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks, doc! I am a tinkerer by interest, since I was young, I haven't been able to leave things that are 'well enough' alone. I always tore apart VCRs, electronic toys, all sorts of gizmos (I still do, but for parts). I made a bullet holder/butt protector, similar to the black ones they sell for rifles and shotguns, but made from digi. camo fabric, and a ghillie-style rifle/scope cover, also made from digi. camo fabric. With it on, you can see through the scope. I'll post pics soon.

Domino
August 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'd be very interested in some details on those mods. I have a 982 I wouldn't mind tinkering with so please do tell!

john917v
August 30, 2008, 04:57 PM
Let's see. The barrel is free floating, but I'd like mine to be a little freer.

For the pen-spring trick, you take out the trigger group, and replace the trigger spring with a pen spring, which helps a lot with trigger pull (I've heard).

And, the rubber barrel damper is a ring that you slip over the barrel to absorb the force of the bullet, making the barrel flex, which will generally flex more if your rifle has a sporter barrel.

RevolverMan567
August 30, 2008, 05:14 PM
john

Ive toyed alot with barrel harmonics and accuracy, dont buy the band that limb saver makes, its a waste,

its much easier, and much more effective to releive the barrel channel oversizd as you mentioned and then use the 1/4" or 1/8" weather stripping with 2 sided tape.

move it forward and rearward about an inch at a time and fire a good slow group at each position. you will definately find the sweet spot here the dampener works best and then you can remove one side of the 2 sided tape and fix it there semi perminately. wont move on its own if you sand with a fine grit (2000) and degrese bfre you stick it down, but can easily beremoved and replaced.

Dookie
August 30, 2008, 06:38 PM
If you want a bench gun you will have to spend money.
The pen trick is a fairly good way to go. But Midway always has the rifle basix fully adjustable triggers on sale, much better quality.
Then do a complete bedding job, and get a good scope, find a good stock, Richards makes very nice stocks but expect to wait a long time and have to do a lot of sanding to get it finished.

and after all that, accuracy might not be significantly better, the marlins are sweet shooters totally stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?t=82579&pageNum=0&tabId=9&categoryId=17990&categoryString=10636***10560***9216***

benzy2
September 1, 2008, 07:09 PM
I had a real headache with mine from day one. I hated the trigger, the stock didn't stay free floated when heated, poi moved. Then I did two things. First was to bed the action. This in and of itself transformed the gun into a tack driver. After that I gave up on all the home mods for the trigger and bought the rifle basix. It made shooting the rifle fun. While you could get great accuracy out of it with the stock trigger (home mods) it was still heavy and had way too much creep and a few hitches in the pull that it just wasn't fun to shoot. If you wanted tacticool you could paint the stock to float your boat. Beyond a new trigger, bedding, a decent scope, and a paint job the rifle is pretty good to go out of the box.

rangerruck
September 2, 2008, 12:03 AM
instead of a bbl damper, use these, they are cheap, and much easier to use.
just move the tab the width of the pad, for each new group. buy these at home despot or the like, they are cabinet door stopper pads.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/006-4.jpg
chances are, on that marlin, which is great, will work better with a very good free float, but the pad did improve my groups on a couple of my rifles, and a marlin 717.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 917v mods-super ultra tacticool" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!