pawn shop find rem 600

PDA

Jon Coppenbarger
August 30, 2008, 04:02 PM
Found a remington model 600 mohawk in 308 win. It came with a redfield 3x9 scope thats very nice. oh also sling and swivels. I have wanted one for awhile and came across it last night. paid 289 out the door so Its not a great deal but I like it.
cleaned it up and bore and everything else is real nice, stock has a few dings but not bad.
18 1/2" barrel and rifle is fairly light. I wounder what the twist is on this?
Can not wait to shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "pawn shop find rem 600" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
August 30, 2008, 05:11 PM
That is a great deal in my part of the world!!!!! I have looked at the identical set up at $600.00 and it was snatched up before I could make an offer.

rioalumni05
August 30, 2008, 05:13 PM
i too enjoy searching pawn shops for deals. pics?

critter
August 30, 2008, 05:17 PM
A steal deal! I've always wanted one of those.

Legionnaire
August 30, 2008, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a deal to me! Good get!

Dookie
August 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
Great find, and a super deal.

I just got one about a week ago, Rem 600 Mohawk in 243, with a Redfield 3-9x40. Traded my ruger charger for it. It is a stinking laser, nice to carry and looks good also. A few aftermarket parts for it.

Boyds has new solid walnut stocks for 59.99

SGW42
August 30, 2008, 06:18 PM
My father has one of these, it is quite the piece. It was his Pennsylvania woods gun. Has not seen any use since he has been in Texas.

Not sure if it is the "Mohawk" model but it has the vent rib on the barrel. His also wears a Redfield scope and I believe it is in .35 Rem.

Neat looking rifles, congrats.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 30, 2008, 06:34 PM
The original Scout rifle - Luckeeeeeey [/N. Dynamite] :)

Walkalong
August 30, 2008, 06:49 PM
Outstanding find and great price. Those guns were never really appreciated like they should have been. They were before their time. :)

rangerruck
August 30, 2008, 06:54 PM
are you kidding?? if that has the full vent rib down the bbl, you cannot touch that for less than 500 bucks, in any condition, anywhere.... as far as I am concerned you stole that, so do pennance by sending you filthy lucar to me...

rangerruck
August 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
the 600's/660's had the full vent rib, the mohawk went without...

rangerruck
August 30, 2008, 06:56 PM
oh yeah, plus you got a choice little scope on that, another good amount of bucks, used. It should be a 1/10 twist, if it is not that, then it is 1/12.

Oohrah
August 31, 2008, 03:02 AM
SGW42, If a 35 Rem 600, very valuable as very few made. a Couple
of years back appraisal for nearly new was $1400. I have one bought
in the early 90s.

ftierson
August 31, 2008, 05:27 AM
Jon, it sounds to me like you got a pretty good deal.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Remington 600/660 carbines.

Enjoy it...

Forrest

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 31, 2008, 02:57 PM
the 600's/660's had the full vent rib, the mohawk went without...

While I think you are right, it certainly seems like it should be the opposite, with the Mohawk having a "mohawk" (vent rib) along the top...

Colt46
August 31, 2008, 03:10 PM
Never gotten around to finding one for the price I'd like to pay. They were pretty much a flop and probably should never have got out of the concept stage. Still, they are highly regarded and hard to find.
Remington tried to revive the concept with their 673 a few years back. I don't think they sold many of those either.

JShirley
September 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a great deal to me.

Good disaster rifle.

Merledog
September 3, 2008, 07:14 PM
I've got a 600 in 243 with a weaver 2.5-8 power and external adjustments via the rear ring. I inherited it from my old man and it really surprised me to find out how high the prices on these things can go. I'd never sell it, but it's nice to know that it's worth something if I ever had to. Mine shoots 80 grain remington loads into an inch @100 yards all day long, but I remember my dad telling me his dad bought one in 308 and promplty traded it off, said it's accuracy was terrible. Wasn't there an issue with the safety on the 600s?

ftierson
September 3, 2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Merledog
I've got a 600 in 243 with a weaver 2.5-8 power and external adjustments via the rear ring. I inherited it from my old man and it really surprised me to find out how high the prices on these things can go. I'd never sell it, but it's nice to know that it's worth something if I ever had to. Mine shoots 80 grain remington loads into an inch @100 yards all day long, but I remember my dad telling me his dad bought one in 308 and promplty traded it off, said it's accuracy was terrible. Wasn't there an issue with the safety on the 600s?

There was an issue with Remington safeties...

Most of the .308 Win. Remington M600/660 rifles were quite accurate.

I also have a Swedish M94 Carbine in 6.5x55mm with one of the early Weaver V8 scopes on it (with the external adjustments and whatall). The scope works just great even now after all these years...

Forrest

351 WINCHESTER
September 3, 2008, 09:23 PM
I had one in .350 rem mag (ouch), a .308, .243 and .222. All but the .350 mag. were tack drivers. I believe the short bbl. had something to do with their accuracy.

If your trigger is not stamped with the letter "v" you can send it to remington to have the safety checked out. Some had issued with a/d when the safety was somehow manipulated in a certain way. I never had a problem with mine, but then I don't trust any safety.

Merledog
September 3, 2008, 10:23 PM
Where at on the trigger would a fellow look for the V? On another note the only thing I don't really like is the plastic triggerguard. I've seen ads for a steel replacement but haven't actually had one in hand. I did not mean to infer that all the 308s were inaccurate, I only offered it up as anecdotal. I've still got the "sharkfin" front sight but have never seen the rear, on any of them I"ve come across. That would be neat to have too.

rangerruck
September 4, 2008, 12:22 AM
.. you would think, but no, the mohawks have the 'no vent rib'...

GunNut
September 4, 2008, 12:42 AM
Great deal, I would definitely have bought it for that price.

Congrats.

MikeWSC
September 4, 2008, 01:15 AM
Jon,

I'm not sure how to tell you this, but, EVERONE is just patting your back so you don't feel like you've wasted your money. The 600 is a terrible shooter and all the guys at the range will hang there head and shake it saddly back and forth. I understand your pain and will give you $300 for it!!! :evil:

Just kidding, great find!! :D I think the twist is 1" in 10 .... have fun with it!!!!!

RIATAC45
September 4, 2008, 01:30 AM
I concur very nice find! I have one in 6mm rem. that I was given by my maternal grandfather. Mine also has the same scope on it, may have been a combo? All I can tell you about mine is I can shoot 1" to 1 1/4" groups at an amasing 225 yds off sand bags. Congrats on a great find, I would love to find another one for a shooter. Mine is in about 95-98% so she spends alot of time in the safe.

Dookie
September 4, 2008, 02:04 AM
Where at on the trigger would a fellow look for the V? On another note the only thing I don't really like is the plastic triggerguard. I've seen ads for a steel replacement but haven't actually had one in hand. .

Safety Recall Link (http://www.remington.com/safety/safety_center/safety_modification_program/models_600_&_660.asp)

Steel Trigger guard link OUCH$$$ (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=191082)

dakotasin
September 4, 2008, 08:56 AM
huge score. a similiar rifle around here will start at $700 and go up - you done good.

don't know for sure on the twist, but i would think it is a 12-twist because for years and years all remington 30 cal 700's were 12-twist.

load up some 165's and have a ball.

Merledog
September 4, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the links Dookie.

Jon Coppenbarger
September 4, 2008, 08:02 PM
thanks everyone.
It does not have the A prefix in the serial # or the V on the trigger. It seems to work fine but I will put some round threw it and check it out the weekend after next.
I have been looking for one for a couple of years for a decent price and got lucky.
I hit the pawn shops or a few of them every couple of weeks or so and run across a deal every so often.
I almost missed this one as I had looked at all the rifles up close and was walking away and said that looks like a 600, well it was and I do not know how i did not see it from 2 feet away but saw it at 15 feet. Getting old I guess?

i have some 308 rounds and like 400 or 500 rounds of hand loaded 168 sierras from a match rifle a few years ago. Will dig out some dies and load up some hunting rounds also.

thanks again.
jon

SGW42
September 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
I double checked last time I went home and my father's gun is indeed in .35 Rem. It has the nylon vent rib, and it has what I assume is a custom scope mount that clears the rib.

Even had a vintage vinyl softcase that was perfectly fitted to it. Had no idea it was rare/valuable.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
are you kidding?? if that has the full vent rib down the bbl, you cannot touch that for less than 500 bucks, in any condition, anywhere.... as far as I am concerned you stole that, so do pennance by sending you filthy lucar to me...

Hee hee, not to mention that that is likely one of the old high-quality Redfields on there.

rangerruck
September 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
sgw42, that rifle you have there could pull over 1500 easy, take great care of it, oil it regularly.... other dude, these sights are easy to get, just look on the various auction sites, escam, I mean bay, auction arms, gunbroker. if all else, e gunparts has fullsets, where i got mine, front and rear, make sure you get the screws that hold them down in place as well. and they are not a lot of money, I think 6 bucks, for the shark front, and 25 for the rear, which is like two or three pieces. the 3o8 was the most finicky of the rifles, so make sure you try as many factory loads as you can get your hands on, just to be sure, and if you are handloading, well then you are just gonna have to go to town.

another thing, if you have one that is collectable, do not get rid of the plastic trigger guard and other parts, and as for swg42, that full vent rib is plastic as well, and adds at least 300 dollars of value to that rig in 35 remmy...

Ridgerunner665
September 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
It is 1 in 12" twist...I have a 600, a 660, and a 673...all in 350 Rem Mag.

jordan1948
September 21, 2008, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me, Remington now makes a "modern" version of it the 673 that looks pretty sharp

vzenmn
September 21, 2008, 09:33 PM
I have a Mohawk 600 in 308. I can put 4 rounds into an inch group at 100 yards with Win 180gr silvertips if I really pay attention to what I am doing.

If you enjoyed reading about "pawn shop find rem 600" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!