Just traded a kel tec pf9 for a King Cobra

PDA

steelyblue
August 30, 2008, 11:39 PM
I got my first Colt!!! It is like new 3" King Cobra in Stainless. I traded a kel tec pf 9 and some extras plus $20 for it. How much is this gun worth? I can't wait to shoot it!!! Anyone else have one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just traded a kel tec pf9 for a King Cobra" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shade00
August 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
Umm - you made out like a bandit, especially if you think about it this way - you traded a piece of plastic for a stainless hunk of awesome.

I'm not sure how uncommon the 3" barrel is, but King Cobras are routinely going in excess of $600 - usually more. They are fine guns, and although not as tuned as a Python, will serve you well and look good doing it.

steelyblue
August 30, 2008, 11:46 PM
It may be 2 1/2. I haven't measured it. I got it from a local pawnshop, but I'm visiting my mother and she doesn't like guns. When I get it home, I'll post pics and look at it some more. Last time I was here I found 2 remington shotguns for $300. I've been wanting a Colt for a while. Do they still make them? I'm a 1911 guy, so I don't know revolvers very well.

CZ.22
August 30, 2008, 11:57 PM
Colt only makes SA revolvers now.

steelyblue
August 31, 2008, 12:37 AM
The trigger pull is a lot shorter than my 686 was. I also like the fact that the fornt sight is not part of the barrel. Do they make night sights for it?

Is it possible to lighten up the trigger a bit?

I know, I'm asking too many ?'s, but I'm excited when I get a steal!!!

Phydeaux642
August 31, 2008, 02:26 PM
Let me ask you this: Did you have the Kel-tec loaded and pointed at the man as you made the trade?:evil: Because that sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

Loomis
August 31, 2008, 02:38 PM
Colt only makes rifles and 1911s now. They sell SAA but I'm told those are actually made by uberti and colt just puts their name on them. They don't even offer DA revolvers anymore. Haven't for years.

GUNKWAZY
August 31, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it will be 2.5 inches when you measure it.
There were only a few, I mean only a handlful of 3 inchers made and I think the 3 inch ones had fixed sights.
2.5 inch tubed King Cobras are very tough to find. You got yourself an excellent deal there.
The 2.5 inch Blued ones are the toughest followed by the stainless 2.5's.

Nice piece, congrats.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

JERRY
August 31, 2008, 02:48 PM
somewhere out there, there is an idiot who used to own a Colt King Cobra.......

you must have met the sucker born that minute....you made out better than anyone should. congrats on your deal. those dont come around very often.

Loomis
August 31, 2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe it's a stolen gun.

The Lone Haranguer
August 31, 2008, 05:28 PM
That's a great trade! :) The reverse would not have been. ;)

Lashlarue
August 31, 2008, 06:34 PM
A $200 gun for a $1000 gun, send me the name of this trading fool!

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 12:24 AM
I got some pics of my new Colt. Yes, I got a deal I couldn't pass up!!! Oh and it is 2.5". I bought some 38's and some 357 rounds for it. I plan on shooting it Tuesday, because the range is closed tomorrow. I wonder if I should leave it unfired. It has never been used.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/colt011.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/colt012.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/colt013.jpg

Loomis
September 1, 2008, 12:32 AM
If it really is unfired, i'd not have the heart to shoot it.

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 12:34 AM
How much of the serial number is required to find the date it was built?

Shade00
September 1, 2008, 12:35 AM
If it didn't have that turn ring on the cylinder I wouldn't fire it. But since it does, I'd wouldn't hesitate. :evil:

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 12:46 AM
Oh wow, I didn't notice the turn ring. I have never seen a revolver with absolutely no powder on it before. They were very good at cleaning this gun. Other than the ring and a couple of faint scratches, I can't find any evidence of wear. Even the steel under the shell extractor is clean. I never could clean my 686 this well.

Majic
September 1, 2008, 12:48 AM
You will have to call the factory for the DOB. KCs are too new for published data on dates.

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 12:51 AM
Do any experts know how many were made. It has a K03--C. That seems like a rather low number.

Shade00
September 1, 2008, 12:57 AM
It is likely only Colt knows how many were made, and they are unlikely to share that information.

MikeWSC
September 1, 2008, 02:44 AM
Steelyblue,

Congrats on your new Colt!!! :D To shoot or not to shoot....... as I don't buy to collect , but collect to shoot, I'd shoot it.

I just picked up a 6" Nickle Python unfired..... took it to the range yesterday. As I was laying my stuff out a young member of my club said I'd knock 30% off the value of the gun. I told him that may be true as I loaded it up with a wheel of 180g XTP's.... :evil: shoots very well and she'll see the deer woods this season.

If it is a really special/rare gun, sure, put it aside for future generations, but don't keep it in the dark. Take it out once in a while to show it that's it is loved, just like your shooters! :rolleyes:

DRYHUMOR
September 1, 2008, 07:54 AM
Sweet trade.

You may check online for some serial number history.

hhb
September 1, 2008, 08:42 AM
That's like trading a Yugo for a Jaguar

peyton
September 1, 2008, 08:46 AM
Shoot that Colt!!

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 08:56 AM
OK, you guys convinced me(I didn't really need it). I'll shoot it tomorrow.

GUNKWAZY
September 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
FYI: You won't find serial number or production info online.
It was never published info.

***Calling Colt will be FREE, the info and date of MFG will also be FREE.
Call them at 1-800-241-2485

***Also, just because it has a turn line, does not make the gun fired.
You can get a drag line on the cylinder just by opening and closing the cylinder.

One more thing, while I'm passing out info, just because the serial number is 3 digit does not mean it's early production. Colt was constantly changing their prefix and suffix letters, so you may have a 3 digit serial number, but just with that prefix and or suffix. Hope that all makes sense.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Euclidean
September 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
I like my PF 9 more than I ever thought possible.

I'd have executed that trade in a New York Nanosecond. Very nice!

svtruth
September 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
a six inch. Bought it used but only slightly, the trigger was gritty and it failed to detonate some primers that worked fine in my Model 19. Sent it to Colt and now the trigger is very nice and it goes bang every time.
Good luck.

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
The trigger on this one is very smooth, heavy and short. My 686 had a lot longer pull. Does anyone know what kind of recoil to expect with the 357 rounds in a 2.5" barrel? It seems like a very heavy gun.

meh92
September 1, 2008, 08:39 PM
I hate you.

:cuss:

Really... I hate you.

Seriously, you made a HECK of a deal there!!! There's nothing like making out like a bandit in a trade! Obviously, the other person got what they wanted, so I guess everyone should be happy.

If it is truly unfired, you may want to consider keeping it as a collector's piece. I have a NIB .44 four-inch Anaconda which hasn't gone bang yet and I am holding off firing it until I decide whether it's an investment or a shooter. Your decision, obviously.

Whatever the case, you certainly made out in that trade. Congratulations!

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
I actually found some more evidence that it has been lightly fired. I will be shooting it either tomorrow or thursday. I want to use it for my car gun. That is what the Kel Tec was for.

meh92
September 1, 2008, 09:33 PM
Enjoy!

Shade00
September 1, 2008, 09:34 PM
Use that as a car gun? I would be happy to trade you a more appropriate car gun... I'll see to it receiving a nice, loving home...

4xfourfun
September 1, 2008, 10:19 PM
Man you are lucky. Thats a nice wheel gun. I have a sweet Dan Wesson 357 that would be a great car gun for ya ;)

I bought a Trooper MK III at a pawn shop, but I didn't get as good of a deal as you.

meh92: I'd love to have a 4" Anaconda like yours, LUCKY!!! :D

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 10:39 PM
Shade00, Which one should I use as a car gun? This one:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/colt011.jpg

This one:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/002-1.jpg

This one:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/001.jpg

Or this one:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/1911004.jpg

meh92
September 1, 2008, 10:44 PM
If you're going to leave it (secured) in a vehicle, I'd go with a revolver for a first. A gun bouncing around in a vehicle could lead to a dislodged magazine or disengaged safety levers. Of course, that might be avoided depending upon how it was stored. It's something to think about anyway.

steelyblue
September 1, 2008, 10:49 PM
I was thinking the revolver may be my best bet. I will carry a 1911 C&L all day long, but I prefer DA for my console. I can't carry into work, I'm a teacher!!! A car gun is the next best thing. I wish my wife would get her license, but then, she works in a Hospital.(nurse)

Shade00
September 1, 2008, 11:41 PM
Honestly, I couldn't bear to leave any of those bouncing in a vehicle. Very nice pieces.

steelyblue
September 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well, it shot beautifully!!! This baby shoots way better that my -1 686 6" did!!! Less recoil and the DA trigger is way better. The sights were a little off, but I will have to get some more ammo to sight her in. 357 was very manageable and 38 had almost no recoil. I had 5 offers on the gun at the range from $400 to $600. I would say the gun is worth much more. This King Cobra is a keeper! Thank's for the replies.

earlthegoat2
September 3, 2008, 12:03 AM
whoever traded you that send him my way, i have a couch and some old sneakers he can have for his python or diamondback

rantingredneck
September 3, 2008, 12:22 AM
Why do I never find deals like this??? :confused:

Great deal for you. Sucks to be the other guy..........

steelyblue
September 3, 2008, 07:22 AM
Its just a pawnshop. I have a feeling he made double on the trade. I was there when someone else brought in a brand new makita cordless drill and the guy gave him $12 for it! I'll bet he had $100 dollars in the gun. He does have a lot of guns at very low prices. I just did not like the other guns or I would have brought them home too!!!

BTW, It's my shop and I won't tell anyone where it is!!!lol

g17
September 3, 2008, 08:53 AM
sometimes life smiles on us. Nice grab

If you enjoyed reading about "Just traded a kel tec pf9 for a King Cobra" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!