Gustav Preparedness thread...

PDA

Drgong
August 31, 2008, 10:27 AM
Due to the fact that not a few gulf coast THR readers facing the wrath of a soon to be catagory five hurricane, as a member I propose that we suspend the rules for this one thread for these users, and for any new users who come here for last second self defense/property questions, and also to help with any logistics or "what to buy" in food, water, and other gear.

If the mods disagree, just lock this thread, but I say that this is a special situation, the BAHIOU (Bigg A$$ Hurricane Is Opon Us)thead.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gustav Preparedness thread..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWarren
August 31, 2008, 10:33 AM
I agree, but its not up to me.

My contribution to this thread is this-- a link from Zombiesquad that has some good hotlinks and other links for information:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34065&start=168

Today will likely be the last day I am on THR for some time-- as will be many other members. In Katrina, we were unable to get on-line for approximately 2 months. Cell phone coverage will be non-existent or spotty at best. Land-line phones will no doubt be out.

-- John

PTK
August 31, 2008, 10:40 AM
It's a touch late to think about getting ready for a Cat5.

JWarren
August 31, 2008, 10:49 AM
It's a touch late to think about getting ready for a Cat5.

One thing that we all can agree on.

At the same time, one would like to think that thier "home" forum is a place they could discuss things like this. Otherwise, really, what exactly IS a community?

I am proud to say that I've gotten PM's from people I've never met at Zombiesquad.com offering to open their homes to me and mine should I decide to get out of dodge. While it looks like I'll be outside of the eye wall and am staying, the offer touched me in ways that I can't describe. That says a LOT about community to me.

-- John

sniper5
August 31, 2008, 01:26 PM
Preparedness advice for Gustav: This is what a bugout bag and destination is for. Grab it and leave.

JWarren
August 31, 2008, 01:41 PM
I've spoken with a few members here privately, and it got me to thinking.

A preparedness thread is a good idea, but really if anyone is looking to start preparing today, you are already screwed.

There's been tons of preparedness threads on here in the last 3 years that I hope many have read and taken to heart. Today isn't the day to get a crash course in SHTF.

Bugging out is the absolute best option for a person who for whatever reasons finds themselves unprepared a day before landfall.

So what good does a thread like this do? Well, it does have benefits. Some planners DO forget things. I think that a thread on this day would better serve to mention things that are not as obvious.

For instance...

EVERYONE knows they need some water, food, and fuel.

But I just realized that I forgot to stock up on Insect Repellant. I think my dad has a good bit, but I don't know. I hope I can pick some up today since it isn't a thing that most people are thinking about right now.

I DID remember to get a LOT of baby wipes. If you are going through this and don't have some, go get some now.

-- John

Jdude
August 31, 2008, 02:25 PM
I suggest some extra fuel so that you do not have to worry about running out when you leave. The last time this happened, the fuel stations were empty for a long distance outside of NO.

jakemccoy
August 31, 2008, 04:03 PM
The following is too late to get for Gustav, but what do you experienced folks think about emergency food kits?

For example...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11219554&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

JDoe
August 31, 2008, 04:24 PM
Credit to MyrnaTheMinx for this...

This is a link if you like to listen to scanner traffic:
It's a streaming audio feed of the evacuation, (in progress):
Hurricane Gustav Communications - New Orleans
State of Louisiana P25 Emergency Management Broadcast
Stream URL: http://www.radioreference.com:8000/nola.mp3.m3u

Fascinating to listen to these guys and gals trying to get people out, get pets out, get in more buses and ambulances, trying for one more train. Bless their hearts.

Mot45acp
August 31, 2008, 09:52 PM
I decided to ride this one out. Wife n kids are safe with family. I am on high ground and 30 miles inland. And stocked up on the essentials that should be. They issued a mandatory evacuation for my county. Now that everyone is gone they are thinking if lifting it.

As bad as it sounds, I do get some pleasure in seeing everyone RUSH to the wal mart. Also satisfaction in the fact that I did not need to get one thing. I wonder if Hardin Co. Sheriff is going to establish there new base of operations in wal mart, like they did during Rita.

Hurricane supply roster:

3 cases Ramen noodles mmmmmmmm:
5 lbs rice
various other food items (perishables are being eaten first)
3 5 gallon bottles of potable water (water cooler bottles from work)
5 cases of 20 oz water bottles.
lots of non potable water for flushing
lots n lots of ice
lots n lots of batteries
extensive home made first aid kit
enough fuel to get 600 miles on a good day so I estimate it to be 200 miles
3 cases of beer
1 gallon of Kentucky's finest.
3 2liters of Diet Pepsi to mix with Kentucky's finest
guns n ammo (though I dont expect to need it in my area)

And a few others that I cant think of right now.

My back fence line is on one of the major evacuation routes. I just sit, raise a beer, and wave at those going by.

To my brothers and sisters riding it out, keep your beer cold, your head up, and your powder dry.

mio
August 31, 2008, 10:18 PM
jwarren if you cant get your insect repellant simple imatation vanilla works great for my wife and daughter. at least for the mosquitoes.

Rmart30
August 31, 2008, 11:09 PM
I went down 3 days after Katrina hit and worked down there for about a month. Fuel was the main thing that was unavailable, I was stationed in Mobile and working mostly the coast from Mobile to NO. I carried 20 gallons of spare fuel with me at all times just to make sure I could get back.. i carried enough food and water for 3 days if i got stranded.

By the 3rd day water was plentiful in most locations, FEMA and others had tons of bottled water handing out. Id have a bunch of it stocked up.

Food that does not require refrigeration and enough of it to last for at least 2 weeks should be minimum.

A chainsaw and spare chains is a valuable tool in times like this. Anyone able to safely run one should have one , gas and 2 stroke oil and bar oil ready. The nieghborhoods that had their roads cleared by the time FEMA , the power co and others got to them were a big help.

Cash, cash and cash......... did I mention cash ? Amazing the # of people who rely soley on plastic and dont keep cash.........
NO POWER + NO PHONES = WORTHLESS PLASTIC

Lots of other things that people were looking for when I was there, first aid kits, duct tape,plastic sheeting,raincoats/rubber boots,bug spray, ice chests.....

From the news reports it looks like they are much better prepared than last time, I sure hope they are.

JWarren
September 1, 2008, 12:43 AM
Fortunately, I discovered a hidden cache of insect repellent that my wife hid from me a while back. So those mosquitos the size of small dogs that will be coming are covered.

We've gotten a few feeder bands come through already. Fortunately for me, it looks like I am going to dodge this bullet. I shouldn't get winds above about 90 mph here.

Gas is gone. Period. I wanted to get a bit more but after getting back from Bogalusa just now, it looks like that may not be an option. Everywhere was sold out. It's not the end of the world for me, but I really wanted to top off my wife's car just in case. I've got my jeep filled and have about 100 gallons in cans/barrels.

I pulled out my emergency stash of hurricane cash to have ready.

I swear to God, if this thing doesn't hit me, I am going to be eating Chef-Boy-Orde' until I am sick of it. (Chef-Boy-Orde' is the original MRE :) )

-- John

Logan5
September 1, 2008, 02:22 AM
One of the crazy things that blew up after Katrina/Rita was infant formula. ARC personell will sometimes roll with diapers, but rarely with baby formula, while the SA will frequently bring both, eventually. But you don't want to wait for us. Not to cause a run on the stuff, but if you want to be the good will ambassador, that's the way to go.
Anyway, packing the bag... apologies in advance for the tuna surprise. Hold on to your hats down there, and we'll be there if you need us.

hso
September 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
Instead of killing this thread I've trimmed it so it's a little more usable.

I'll second the statements that if you don't know what you need to hunker down and ride the storm out it's just too late. If you have an internet connection you only need to search THR for advice on what you should have. Your best bet is to read JW's account.

For those who are getting out of harms way at the last moment -

Look at the requirements for interstate travel with a firearm if you're evacuating and taking weapons with you. This will help keep you from running afoul of the law.

As a default position for those of you without carry permits or traveling by some form of mass transit, follow the airline rules of hard casing your weapons and keeping ammunition in the original boxes and in a separate case from the weapons. Lock both cases. Doing so should be compliant with any peaceable journey laws.

Know the weapons laws of your destination and those states you'll be traveling through and print them out and carry them. If you get stopped for any reason provide a copy to the LEO and explain that you've made the best effort to be compliant with the law. That demonstration of effort to follow unfamiliar laws can go a long way in a tense situation.

JWarren
September 1, 2008, 02:12 PM
Still in Washington Parish here. Still have power. Gusting around 70mph now. The worst will be here in the next 2 hours. Its really starting to cut up now.

A limb just broke out of a tree and hit the storm window in front of my computer. I actually reflexively ducked.

Hanging in there.

-- John

Eric F
September 1, 2008, 02:15 PM
John, settle down a bit relax drink a beer(as in 1) stay dry.

hso
September 1, 2008, 02:18 PM
http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop04_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

Landfall ~70mi west of NOLA as a category 2 hurricane.

JWarren
September 1, 2008, 02:27 PM
I am in the circled area:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84016&stc=1&d=1220290013

-- John

bogie
September 1, 2008, 03:17 PM
I've got the news on, and I'm waiting for the breathless report about how there may actually be a danger of getting wet.

I'm guessing that the greatest damage from this will be from looters who remained in the city area... threats of Angola aside...

rbernie
September 1, 2008, 06:33 PM
Best of luck, to all of y'all in the path....

ColinthePilot
September 1, 2008, 06:49 PM
I ran into the smartest guys in New Orleans today, the ones at the Arkansas Travelers Baseball game in Little Rock. They didn't sound too bright, but they've been in Little rock for a few days already runnin from the storm. 2 smart cookies.

Good luck to everyone in the path.

JWarren
September 1, 2008, 08:05 PM
Just checking in. Washington Parish is 100% without power and phones. Oddly enough, my home out in the woods still has both phones and power. Winds are bad still, but not terrible. I've got a few downed trees, but no damage. Since cell phones are out, I'll be leaving in a few minutes to check on my FIL. I should get a much better idea of the situation after the trip.

-- John

bogie
September 2, 2008, 12:29 AM
JW, have you applied for your federal disaster relief cash yet? Doesn't matter that you're prepared, and in years to come, you will look back upon this as a relatively minor event... I can tell, from the timbre of your typing, that you are traumatized beyond belief.

Think of it this way - the government owes you a nice Garand, at least...

Geronimo45
September 2, 2008, 12:48 AM
Since it appears to be headed northwest, I should be getting the thing when it's down to heavy rainstorm stage...

JWarren
September 2, 2008, 01:30 AM
haha, Bogie.

I need to try that.

Oddly enough, I went to check on my FIL a few hours ago. He's without power atm.

I went 3/4 across Washington Parish with a 1911 on my hip and an AR in the back of the Jeep. I saw 4 or 5 LEO units and spoke to one deputy-- all this AFTER the mandatory curfew.

Somehow, I neither had my guns confiscated nor was I taken to Angola.

-- John

Vector
September 2, 2008, 01:41 AM
Good luck you guys in it's path.

May God watch over you.

bogie
September 2, 2008, 03:32 AM
Well, JW, you're not in New Orleans... That means you're probably at least equal in intelligence with the folks in Florida, who seem to ride these puppies out with pretty fair regularity...

Suggestion: Try about a half-pint of mad-dog before you go talk to the FEMA folks... Dump that IQ a little, and twitch if it gets a little breezy...

And keep a watch toward the city limits...

mbt2001
September 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
I hope Gustav worked out OK, he missed us, although it wasn't clear that he would until Monday...

Anyway, we have more lining up... WAY early to tell, but so far virtually every storm has tried to hit Texas or LA or a combo of the two.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/overview_atl/atl_overview.gif

feedthehogs
September 2, 2008, 02:25 PM
3 cases Ramen noodles mmmmmmmm

Looks like you have plenty of water to go with that unlike the lady in my neighborhood who bought a couple of cases of that for herself and daughter but forgot to get water.

Only liquid she had was soda as without power, there was no water.

Wonder what it tasted like?

totoro
September 3, 2008, 12:04 AM
With all respect gentlemen,there are people down here that are and will stay traumitized for a long time to come.Please keep in mind there will be many families without homes for a while.It is easy to think of the scenerio from a cool little computer,fantasizing about SHTF situations.May I suggest something,learn how to point shoot behind a flashlight,because it gets mighty dark after a storm.:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Gustav Preparedness thread..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!