What is this shotgun accessory?

PDA

oldjeeps
August 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
Found an old "Columbia" 12 gauge single shot that had this attached to it's left side. Was wondering what anyone might know about it - it appears to be a 'reloader / autoloader' of some sort.
This appears to be made of stamped steel and I know 30+ years old.
Markings: "ALOFS MFG. CO", "G.R. MICH. PAT 99-24"
It currently has some surface rust and a bad "control" spring but seems to be generally functional.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this shotgun accessory?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vaarok
August 31, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'll be damned, sure looks like a quickloader. There were similar inventions for single-shot rifles in the late 1870s, like the Martini-Henry, but I've never seen something like it for a modern shotgun.

Kewl!

Jim Watson
August 31, 2008, 03:03 PM
Agreed, a speedloader to "automate" a single shot shotgun.

John Stimson, Jr.
August 31, 2008, 03:06 PM
A link to the patent explaining it's function.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=M55YAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=1507881

oldjeeps
September 1, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the link. That was very informative.

Definitely think that I am going to have to have that setup brought back into working order. Can't say that I really want to spend much on the "columbia" (as I haven't heard much good about them), but between the quickloader and sentimental reasons it looks like it's on its way to the gunsmith.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on value (not that it'll be up for sale at any point in the next 50 years)?

The_Antibubba
September 2, 2008, 03:42 AM
If the design is authentic for the late 19th century, "new" ones would be a hit with the SASS crowd and reenactors.

Vaarok
September 2, 2008, 11:07 AM
Novelty value alone, you could probably get several hundred dollars for it, I can't imagine they're common or that many have survived.

oldjeeps
September 2, 2008, 06:38 PM
As stated, I won't be selling it. But also don't really want to invest too much more than the setup is worth (at the gunsmiths).

The_Antibubba: IIRC the date on the patent that John posted was in the 20s.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this shotgun accessory?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!