Revolver ONLY--Anyone?

PDA

Commander Crusty
August 31, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm just tired of fighting with automatics and thinking of taking a revolvers only pledge for one year. How about you? Is there anyone out there who has switched over to, or has always, ONLY carried, used, owned revolvers?

I'm looking for feed back from you if you carry a J-frame, keep an L-frame, and shoot a 625 in competition.
Or carry an SP101, keep a GP100, and hunt with a Super Red Hawk.
Or maybe you own ONE gun--say a S&W Model-10 and that's IT!

If you've done it, how has it gone?
Any "withdrawal" pains?
Do you feel better knowing how to operate one guns (and so, ALL your guns)?
Do you miss your flat guns?
Did you find your round guns too bulky, get tired of being poked in the ribs and switch back?
Ever run out of ammo in a match or SD situation?

Just wondering.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver ONLY--Anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawk
August 31, 2008, 03:46 PM
Guns ain't marriage; we're allowed to be promiscuous with them. There are too many good firearms today to limit yourself to just one.

...or just one type.

MMCSRET
August 31, 2008, 04:39 PM
As a general rule I will search out revolvers when I am shopping for something to jump out and grab me. Then, if I want to take the time or find it necessary to avoid the wife for a while longer, I will look at the others, what did you say they are called?

Loomis
August 31, 2008, 04:45 PM
Not only have I thought about going to revolvers only, I've thought about going to 5 shot revolvers only.

pinkymingeo
August 31, 2008, 04:54 PM
Until I started reading threads on this forum I wasn't aware that there was any controversy revolver vs semi. Can't imagine why there should be. One isn't superior to the other. Different products for different needs and different tastes. At one time I always kept at least one 1911, usually a couple, around the house. In the last few years I've gone 100% revolver. The primary reason is that I reload 100% of my ammo, and don't feel like chasing brass all over the countryside. Also I find handloading to be a large part of the fun, and revolvers give me a larger variety of opportunities to blow myself up. I have two J-frames that I rotate for pocket carry. I don't bother with carrying reloads. I'll let somebody else protect the OK corral. I'm just addressing the infinitesimal possibility of a mugger or bad dog. 45acp is my favorite handgun caliber and I shoot about 7K annually, but not in competition. I have a 625-10 2", 325PD 2 3/4", 625-6 3", 625-3 4" and 625-2 5" to run the 45's through. There's nothing 1911's could do that the 625's can't, plus I have a lot more ammo flexibility. And, I shoot revolvers better.

.38 Special
August 31, 2008, 05:00 PM
I've been "revolver only" since my 1911 got stolen maybe seven years back. Revolvers work fine for me and I don't feel handicapped with them. I do have a Smith model 41 on the way for bullseye shooting, so do not feel that I have to stay with revolvers or anything, but the short answer is that revolvers suit my needs.

1/7GRUNT
August 31, 2008, 05:03 PM
At the moment I only own a S&W model 65-3 and a 442. I love revolvers, there is just something about the look of them to me. However, I am always on the lookout for a new gun, and some of the ones I have my eye on now are autos. Cant wait to get my concealed permit, will more than likely be a wheelgun that I carry then. I may even carry the 65 when it gets cold.

Guy B. Meredith
August 31, 2008, 05:13 PM
Semis just aren't interesting to me. Not that I dislike them, just have no interest or use of them in general.

I did have a Ruger MK512 that I bought as I had the image before becoming a gun owner that I wanted at least a Ruger MK1 and a .357 Magnum and thought everyone should.

The Ruger was okay, but was severely neglected except to introduce new shooters to the sport. Finally exchanged it for a Mossberg 500.

I think that some day I may purchase a Ruger MKII or MKIII for new shooters. I would really prefer a .22 cal revolver, but they seem more expensive than the Ruger pistols...

Vern Humphrey
August 31, 2008, 05:15 PM
I have a Colt DS which I sometimes carry, otherwise my carry gun is an M1911 (currently a Kimber Classic MK I).

I did carry a Colt M357 my first tour in Viet Nam, and was quite satisfied with it -- although issue revolvers tended to suffer from neglect in that war.

When out and about the property, I will often carry my Colt Woodsman, but when I want a heavier gun I will carry either a Ruger Blackhawk or Colt New Service in .45 Colt.

Stainz
August 31, 2008, 06:06 PM
My metamorphosis is nearly complete... only a Ruger MKII left.

I have covered the bases. I have a 6" 629 for emphasis, a .45 Colt 625MG for fun - or woods stomping, and a recent 64 for a house gun. For pocket carry, there is a 642. Now, to answer the Zombie protection questions, I have a 4" 625 in .45 ACP - and a metal ammo can with over a hundred moonclips loaded with ball ammo. Okay, that's for SPC competition! And... how could I forget... for primitive needs... my only Ruger revolver - now - a SS Old Army .45 black powder cap & ball. I just need a rimfire revolver - that works (I have a paperweight H&R someone gave me.). Yes, one can live quite well with 'just' revolvers!

Stainz

moph759fl
August 31, 2008, 06:15 PM
Revolver only, Taurus all Titanium snub .357MAG. For SD 1st round .357MAG all the rest .38SPL+P

SAWBONES
August 31, 2008, 06:43 PM
...thinking of taking a revolvers only pledge for one year...

Did that for a couple years, learned to appreciate the designs, materials, operation and mechanics involved in shooting revolvers.

Also learned to put up with the worse-than-semiautos job of thoroughly cleaning revolvers. :)

Revolvers "point" more naturally than do semiautos for many folks, they're reliable and self-contained, they're easy to carry and conceal in J-frame examples, and have several other potential avantages over semiautos, which have been enumerated ad nauseum in the various "semiauto vs. revolver" bulletin board threads and in gunrag articles.

I don't think a period of "revolvers only" dedication is a necessity, but I do think every small arms owner should take the trouble to learn to appreciate the benefits of revolvers.

The only downside on returning to semiautos for me was finding that certain semiauto guns which had previously worked flawlessly were having some failures to feed or extract, and I realized that these particular guns had to be held very firmly for reliable operation. (During the "revolver period" I'd unwittingly gotten into the habit of gripping the stocks somewhat more loosely, and it took me a bit to figure out what was wrong!)

jdc1244
August 31, 2008, 06:51 PM
thinking of taking a revolvers only pledge for one year. How about you?

My love of 1911s will always keep one foot in the semi-auto camp.

BigBlock
August 31, 2008, 07:01 PM
If I ever end up with an auto loader in my posession, it will be promptly thrown into a box, driven down to the local gunshop, and traded for a beautiful hunk of stainless steel with a wheel in the middle.

don95sml
August 31, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm just tired of fighting with automatics and thinking of taking a revolvers only pledge for one year.
And that's about as long as that pledge will last! Quit trying to fight it. Wheel guns and bottom feeders both have their advantages.

machinisttx
August 31, 2008, 08:18 PM
It's been a long time since I carried anything other than a wheelgun. I've only got three autoloaders, and rarely shoot them...I'm much more inclined to pull out one of the K frames or my SP101 when I want to go shooting.

MMCSRET
August 31, 2008, 08:23 PM
The only semi-auto i have a loyalty to in a 22 rimfire. I have others but they just lay there.

45Guy
August 31, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have a XD9, SIG P6 and a Beretta Bobcat. Those are the only semi-autos I plan on buying. I love my SP101 and I want a GP100 in the worst way.

I like my semi-autos, but I don't think I'll buy another one anytime soon. Revolvers are too reliable, accurate, and overall just feel more natural when being shot.

theotherwaldo
August 31, 2008, 09:15 PM
-And next you'll swear to drive only stick shifts, use only incandescent lights, and forswear electric razors.

Moderation is for monks.

rollback88
August 31, 2008, 09:21 PM
Revolvers are my favorite. Like most here, though, I've got a real nice 1911 and a Model 41 Smith that aren't going anywhere.

Shagging brass is my biggest peeve with the semi's. So, I bought a 625JM for most of my 45acp shooting.

I've got a couple of M&P9 (one c, one full size) for home and carry, but I've also got a Rossi "j-frame" .38 snub. So many gun choices, so little money and time to shoot them all. :)

--jcd

TallPine
August 31, 2008, 09:24 PM
The only semi-auto I own is a Kalashnikov ;)

And next you'll swear to drive only stick shifts, use only incandescent lights, and forswear electric razors.

No way man - candles and coal oil lamps are way better. Horseless carraiges are a passing fad, and who needs a razor? :p

2ndamd
August 31, 2008, 09:34 PM
I am revolver only (unless you count the double barrel 12 ga, pump 12 ga. and the .357 mag lever gun).

Handguns are all revos. I have one S&W 642-1 that just came out with the no lock ( I will not own a Smith with a lock) I have GP100s and SP101s. I live in the city. If I lived in the backwoods or country I would have a few .44s in there too.

I just like the revolvers better. I started with and continued to own and compete with autos for quite some time. But, I simplified my life with one cartridge for handguns and rifles (.357 mag) and of course you have to have a couple of 12 gauges :)

It works for me and I like it this way. But, many people think I limit my fun by doing this. I guess fun is in the eye of the beholder?

2ndamd
August 31, 2008, 09:35 PM
ps : I like monks :)

Brasso
August 31, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have a Buckmark. And I'm issued a glock 22. The other 5 are revolvers. But I'll be honest and say that I'd really like one of those bobtail dan wesssons.

Kind of Blued
August 31, 2008, 11:55 PM
I only owned a revolver last week for about 3 days after I sold my Sig, then I spent the money on a new, smaller auto (Kahr PM9). :)

I'm a "right tool for the job" kind of guy, so I don't stick to one type of tool.

I use a razor when I have some extra time in the morning, but my backup is an electric razor that I use in my car on the way to work. :)

I like carrying an auto as my primary and a J-frame as a backup. If I ever need to use them, the right tool for the job will be a bullet launcher... whichever one I can get to most easily.

Wolfeye
September 1, 2008, 12:31 AM
I've only owned revolvers, not counting a few .22 rifles. If I carry it's usually to make me feel safe out in the Alaska wilderness, and most autos don't pack quite enough punch for that sort of thing. Autos may suit the majority of owners out there, but they just won't fit my needs or likes as well as a good hunk o' stainless magnum will.

My soon-to-be wife also prefers revolvers because she claims to like their big kick. :D

Gary A
September 1, 2008, 01:01 AM
Used to have both. Now have only revolvers, both single-action and double-action and some DAO. If I ever have another auto it will be another 1911. They're both good but revolvers suit me better.

Youngster
September 1, 2008, 01:24 AM
Even though I consider myself a revolver guy I can't see myself going revolver only, however I'm getting to the point where I can see myself getting rid of of my non hi-cap autos.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
September 1, 2008, 02:07 AM
Last 1911 was sold in February, together with a Buckmark. Since then, a GP100, NM Blackhawk and S&W 586 have joined my twin 686's. Not only have I standardized in revolvers, but in caliber as well....357 magnum.

No turning back here. No more wasted time picking up/looking for brass.

Oh yes, there is a S&W M-17 for cheap practice and introducing newbies to the sport.

Catherine
September 1, 2008, 03:27 AM
I never had to "fight" with my semi automatic pistols that I owned in the past. I did not have a problem with them but I tend to be more of a Revolver Lady now. (I loved the Glock Model 19C, the S&W Model 22A and the S&W Model 41 that I bought for my late husband.)

I think that some people change their taste in guns and/or DISCOVER something that they did not know or shoot before that they FALL IN LOVE with... in my case it was single action revolvers!

I am into Smith and Wesson D/A revolvers.

I am way, way INTO, grin, Ruger Single Action Revolvers.

I am into lever action rifles too.

If I ONLY had a choice of 2 or 3 handguns... it would be my Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt aka long colt, my Ruger Bisley in 22LR, my Ruger Super Single Six - 22LR/22WMR.

I absolutely adore my single action revolvers!

Catherine

Stainz
September 1, 2008, 04:04 AM
It was ten years last month since I sold my favorite case-tosser - a Glock 21. With +2 extenders, it held 15 rounds of .45 hardball per mag. My 625JM carries six - but I am far more accurate - and faster, as well, with it.

Interests change - I drove a 4 sp Audi 100LS from '70-'73, then Alfa Romeo's, all nine were 5sp, until '84, then a couple of MOPAR 5sp turbo-ed cars. Four years back we bought a new '05 Jeep Liberty, V6/auto, and ordered a Dodge SRT4 - turbo-ed pocket rocket/5sp - for my speed demon wife. I had finally tired of rowing cars through traffic. Yep, the 'soccer mom's ride' Liberty is mine - and it totes my bag-o-roundguns to the range quite nicely, thank you very much. I just need to find a bag that matches the interior... must accessorize!

Oh, the continued growth/interests change phenom... I started reloading six years back. Being both volumetrically and chronologically challenged, brass is easier to recover with a revolver. Also, earlier this year found me divesting myself of my SA revolvers, my rifle having been decimated earlier (I am down to a few .22 CZs and a Puma M1892 in .45.). About the SAs, I just shoot DA all of the time... even my old 1895 Nagants, which you have to continue, as you squeeze harder and harder, to assure yourself really isn't a SA-only.

Firearms are cyclic... I just started to miss the M1 Garrand I sold five years ago. That'll pass.

Stainz

Bigger is Better
September 1, 2008, 04:34 AM
How about you? Is there anyone out there who has switched over to, or has always, ONLY carried, used, owned revolvers?

Do you want a "revolver only"? Well, here it is! The only semiautomatic handgun I've had (and I still have) is a Walther P38 my uncle gave me for my last birthday, 27th sept. of last year... and this year I hope (or better I expect) for another present like that on behalf of him :o :p
Is also true that I've learned shooting with a Beretta 98, like almost all kids in Italy, 'cause it is the gun which all gun-trainers say you is more easy to learn with. But in my life (as gun lover) I've bought and sold only revolvers, among them I prefer SA, but I own DA rev too. Ah, there's another thing that is very important: my revolvers, as a a great deal of you already know, are chambered for calibers not inferior than .44!

woad_yurt
September 1, 2008, 10:13 AM
I have sort switched to revolvers, at least for my main house gun. I have an old K-frame .38 SPL S&W that shoots where you point. For groggy, low light conditions, I feel safe with that old revolver. Now, when I'm out and about (awake) I'm prone to semi-autos. I like the extra round capacity or the tiny size available in semi-auto form.

hicksdm
September 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
I started out with all Glocks, then went over to 1911's, then a mixed sort. Once I shot my first revolver, a Ruger GP-100 I was hooked. I sold all of my semi-auto's and went over to revolvers. I have not regretted the move yet. I carry a S&W 442 or a Gemini Customs SP-101. I have a GP-100 and a Speed Six in the house. I am saving for a 625 but they may be a while off. It took me some practice to get the reloads quick and effecient but i just prefer the wheelgun. I shoot them better and can reload my rounds the way I want them.

CajunBass
September 1, 2008, 11:06 AM
Until I started reading threads on this forum I wasn't aware that there was any controversy revolver vs semi. Can't imagine why there should be. One isn't superior to the other. Different products for different needs and different tastes.

That's about the way I feel about it. Why should you have to "pick" one or the other? So what if you've bought 10,000 revolvers does that mean you can't buy a semi next time? Or the other way around.

I've gone through times when I had more revolvers than semi's, then it turned around for a while and now might be heading back for all I know. On the other hand, some auto might catch my eye the next time I'm looking.

Gary A
September 1, 2008, 11:42 AM
Revolvers "feel" right to me. I like circles and things that go 'round. Mandalas, Medicine Wheels, Prayer Circles, analog clocks, gears, Mayan Calendars, Mexican sun disks, circle dances, window fans, bicycles, sitting around a campfire, and wheel guns. Always thought DA Colts turned the wrong way, though. :)

kcmitch
September 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
I had a Taurus 24/7 - .40S&W. Fine gun, I just got tired of chasing brass. Also the trigger pull in single action was not as crisp as I liked. By accident I ran across a S&W Mod 10, built in 1968. It was in fantastic shape and is a virtual tack driver. I love it. I was so moved I purchased a Taurus .357 Mod 66. My son took it away from me, (paid of course) so I went to a cowboy single action Uberti Cattleman in .357. Love them all. Reloading is a little faster with the auto, and the mags are thinner for concealment. I have a speed loader for the .38 but am going to try the speed strip available at Midway USA. I've read good reviews on them and they are two for half the price of a speed loader. Easier to carry also. I just love revolvers. Carried a S&W mod 15 combat masterpiece in the USAF.

Big Mike
September 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
I asked the question a while back. I've thought of consolidating to all .38/.357 revolvers for ammo simplicity. Have lost the drive to have the "variety" of caliber in a variety of handguns (getting older? :confused:). Looking at a 627, maybe a GP100 for home.

loneviking
September 1, 2008, 06:55 PM
For the last twenty-some-odd years, revolver only,and only one--a Colt Peacekeeper. I had, many years ago for about three weeks, a Walther P38. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and sold it. I picked up a CZ 75 for my dad and had it for a couple of weeks. Great gun and accurate, but didn't have the punch of the .357. In April of this year, bought a CZ 82 mainly for backup or one of the girls to use. As with most autoloaders, it has feed issues and is touchy on ammo--which my .357 isn't.

Nope, sticking with a wheel gun. I'm bringing home my new wheelie this week. A S&W 65-6, 3" barrel, 38/357. I won't be buying anymore semi-autos.

I have a friend that just bought a Springfield XD 45, which is a nice gun. But, he and I were one day out shooting my .357 at a target over 100 yards out and hitting it consistently. I asked him if he was able to do that with the XD 45 and he said 'well, no, it doesn't have the barrel length and sighting plane of that big revolver'---yep, exactly, and I'll stick with that sort of design.

george29
September 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
There are so many variations on semi-automatics, DAK, DAO, Magazine disconnector, hammer drop safety, hammer safety, slide safety, grip safety, safe-trigger. There are only thre pistols I would consider, the first two, 1911 and Hi Power are the same mechanisms, and a Glock for it's simplicity. But a revolver is always in my pocket to back up those pistols that I no longer own. Funny, I always shot better with a pistol, but at the distances I need to be able to hit something, the sights or grips are not that important anymore.

jim85255
September 1, 2008, 07:16 PM
Revolvers work. My autos jam. My revolvers don't jam. Enough said.

JRB

BikerRN
September 1, 2008, 08:22 PM
Is there anyone out there who has switched over to, or has always, ONLY carried, used, owned revolvers?

I'm looking for feed back from you if you carry a J-frame, keep an L-frame, and shoot a 625 in competition.
Or carry an SP101, keep a GP100, and hunt with a Super Red Hawk.
Or maybe you own ONE gun--say a S&W Model-10 and that's IT!

I don't meet all your criteria, but I'm going to chime in anyway. :)

I switched from the Autoloader to the Revolver for off duty carry about two years ago. I did this because I too got tired of "fighting with my Autoloaders". On Duty it's Autoloader Only, so I'll always shoot both.

I like the simplicity of the Revolver for the same reason I like Glocks. They are both "point and shoot" pistols. Now as far as carrying and keeping it's a long story, but here goes.

I carry a 3" GP100 and a 2 1/4" SP101 as well as a J-Frame. Yes, it's a bit of weight to pack around off the clock, but I have a gun accessable to me no matter what hand I have to draw with or position I may find myself in. For competition I may shoot a 45 ACP Revolver or a 4" GP100. I hunt with a .44 Magnum, so you could say that I have a few guns for various uses.

Next year I'll probably switch back to mostly Autoloaders, but I've kept a J-Frame of some sort as a BUG for the past twelve years and I'm not about to change that! I hope I was able to provide some information that was useful to you.

BikerRN

cerberus65
September 1, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hmm. I much prefer to drive a stick shift. I hate fluorescent lights, especially in the morning. I swore off electric razors almost four years ago and my face has been happier ever since.

So I guess it's no wonder I love revolvers. I'm a keep it simple, pragmatic kinda guy and revolvers just plain work. Not having to chase brass is a bonus too.

I do have a couple of bottom-feeders, though. And I don't see myself selling them... ever. One's a .22, one's the smallest, lightest gun I own, and one just shoots really well. Plus I'm sure I'll add another one at some point in .45 ACP.

So while I love revolvers I can't imagine going exclusive. Besides what would I do with my bolt action rifles and pump shotgun?

Drgong
September 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Guns ain't marriage; we're allowed to be promiscuous with them. There are too many good firearms today to limit yourself to just one.

Or you can have think of your guns as plural wives, and there is nothing wrong with have a few Sister firearms, you need 3 to get exalted in the celestial kingdom of firearms. ;)

Brian Williams
September 1, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have a 1911 and a Glock 19 and they are rarely used or even brought to the range. The 1911 needs a new barrel and bushing fitted and Glock is technically my wife's. I have a Colt Woodsman 1st series and it is such a nice collector shooter I can't get rid of it, besides it has been on my wish list longer than any other gun.

SR_
September 2, 2008, 01:13 PM
After talking with an instructor that I work with from time to time, I decided to shoot a revolver in IDPA for 3 months - work on trigger control (full stroke, etc.) The three months turned to a year which turned to 2 years.

At the end of 2 years I switched - from a SSR (stock service revolver with speedloaders) to ESR - moon clip revolver.

I still have a like my bottom feeders - might even switch back later this month after a major match.

batmann
September 2, 2008, 02:07 PM
I have only one auto and that is a Kel-Tec, the rest are revolvers.
I find revolvers more 'elegant' and appealing than autos, as well as more versitile.

Evyl Robot
September 2, 2008, 04:15 PM
In my household, there are five firearms. Of those five firearms, all of them are revolvers. A few days ago, I got a call from the gun shop that my next one has come in. If we are going to make the "guns are like women" argument, here's my take on it:

When I was dating, I found all kinds of women to be beautiful and attractive, but I wound up just dating brunettes. It's not that I was opposed to blondes or redheads, I found them just as attractive. Funny enough, I wound up marrying a brunette. I suppose to me, revolvers are brunettes. (If I get a bottom-feeder, my wife may start to wonder!)

--Michael

scrat
September 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well like others i have never had a revolver jam. so thats a plus
Unlike my semis or jamloaders

weisse52
September 2, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have always had both. Have carried some sort of J frame for many years. But then I have carried a 1911 for many years. I love my 1911,s + my Ruger MKII's. But that is about all I care for in auto's. Not going to give them up any time soon.
On the other hand, revolvers are what I plan on buying in the future. I do not feel under gunned no matter what I choose.

jim85255
September 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
Revolvers rule!! Easy to clean-don't jam, always fire,shot every type of ammo, are not tempermental

JCMAG
September 2, 2008, 07:47 PM
If I were to pick just one handgun and just one handgun only, it would be a medium frame .38. Just something magical about that ole thirty-eight, especially in a light and handy six-shooter with a four-inch barrel.

ziggy222
September 2, 2008, 09:11 PM
it was easy.1st i went to a shooting range with a bunch of friends in erie pa while it was snowing.by the end of the shooting sesion the only guns still functioning were the 2 revolvers.the ppks was 1st to go,then the ruger mk2,pretty much all of them.the springfeild 1991 was ok till the empty clip froze in the gun.autos are fun but i carry a revolver.many people claim wheel gun users use them do to lack of knowledge of firearms,but i use revolvers because i am knowledgable of both.police and military like their clips because they may need to fire alot and reload many times in a long gun fight but i use mine for defence which means my 5 shots are more that enough to allow me a chance to escape an attacker.

dmazur
September 2, 2008, 11:29 PM
My love of 1911s will always keep one foot in the semi-auto camp.

I feel the same. I prefer 1911's, but I allowed the "dark side of the force" to make me purchase a Ruger SBH in .44 Mag, which I use for backcountry worries.

I admit I like the simplicity of the SA revolver, but the thing weighs a ton, pokes me in the ribs when I carry it "high", and makes follow-up shots kind of an illusion at best.

I can see there is a place for a heavy revolver, but (for me) I can't see it replacing the 1911 for CCW.

steveracer
March 19, 2009, 11:12 PM
As of today, I have ONLY a 629 MG, a 325 Night Guard, and a 10-7 snubby.
That's all my handguns.
Steve

Stainz
March 19, 2009, 11:24 PM
Within a few days of my earlier post back in September, I took the plunge. I bought a new 4" 617 10-shooter .22. Within days my beloved only bottom-feeder - a MKII - was sold to defray the new revolver's cost. I have regrets... I should have done that years ago! Shooting wimpy little .22s is more fun from a revolver, too. Everyone needs a .22 revolver, whether they realize it or not. I am totally revolvers now in the handgun department - just what i wanted!

Stainz

Bubba613
March 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
I have simplified down to a Model 10 for daily carry backed up by a Model 49. I don't need adjustable sights. I don't need .357mag capability. And I sure don't need super-ultra-hi-cap magazines. All I need is lots of practice ammo and time to use it up.

pps
March 19, 2009, 11:56 PM
I sold my 1911 to pay for my college textbooks. I have not owned a semiauto since, however I do plan on getting another 1911, though I'll probably get a CZ RAMI first (one of the few semi's that just feels right). I presently have had only revolvers for about 20 years.

Doug Add
March 20, 2009, 01:11 AM
Everyone needs a .22 revolver, whether they realize it or not.That has been at the top of my wish list for a while.

I do have twice as many revolvers as I do autos, but I could never see myself parting with my SIG P228. I like all my handguns for different reasons, and don't really have a desire to select one platform over another.

Fishman777
March 20, 2009, 09:48 AM
I only own revolvers, right now. That is not to say that I don't plan on getting an autoloader eventually. There are at least two that I'd like to get, actually.

Gary A
March 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
Since I posted last September that I no longer owned any semi-autos, I have purchased two of them. A blued and a stainless Ruger P90 .45. Just wanted to two .45s to keep around the homestead that were perhaps a tad more efficient delivery platform than my Blackhawks. Not for competition, not for carry, just for reliable, durable, dependable .45 handguns. I think they fill the bill.

Now back to my single-action revolvers with a nod to my shrinking DA stable.

Ruodo
March 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm new to owning handguns and I only care about revolvers. The only semi auto I would consider buying right now would be a makarov.

Confederate
March 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
My biggest problem with autos is that many of them lack any charm whatsoever. There are the polymer ones, then the just ugly "clunk" type guns like the Sig 225/226, which are just rough and mechanical. They'll save your bacon, but they're about as fun to own as a frying pan or vacuum cleaner.

Other, though, do have charm. Many of the 1911s, the S&W 659/5906, 645/4506. These are as finely manufactured as any revolver and are a pleasure to own and to use.

Revolvers are incredible for a variety of reasons, primarily because you just never have to worry about them. They can sit in a drawer for years, yet if needed they can be used with the utmost of confidence. Even if your auto is top-rate, if it's been loaded in a drawer for years, there's always a tiny niggling in the back of the mind as you wonder if it will work reliably.

I know people who have full confidence in their autos and so be it. They've shot their guns for years without nary a bobble. But in a stressful situation, you're not shooting at your best. You wonder, when did I last change that magazine? What if dust or grit found their way into the mechanism? What if I limp wrist it?

True, these may be more mental than actual, but why sweat it? I see people with jammed autos all the time on the firing line. Do I want those images to come swimming into my mind in a critical situation? Nah. The revolver just exudes confidence. (Once at a range, I told someone just how utterly reliable I thought the Ruger Mark II auto was. I fired three shots and the thing decided to embarrass me by jamming on the third round. It was a first, but I felt betrayed. The thing just never jammed until I bragged about it!)

Still, my adage is, never sell a gun. If you do, you'll always regret it. I regret selling every gun I've ever sold, except three stainless Sterling .22LRs that didn't work. Had they worked, I never would have sold them, though.

crebralfix
March 20, 2009, 12:36 PM
I did a 30 day revolver experiment. It was interesting.

The primary problem I had was transporting spare ammo in a concealable and comfortable way. I built a whole bunch of gadgets to handle ammo (speedloaders, speed strips and moonclips). In the end, I just wrapped the moonclip with kydex (for protection from dings and bending) and dropped it into a pocket.

I also like to carry 24 rounds...three full reloads. For my 8x357 six shooters, I built an IWB dual moonclip holder. This worked pretty well and kept the ammo on my centerline for fast reloads.

Given the lower capacity of a revolver and longer reload times, I also carry a BUG. But, that's just me.

Revolvers do jam. It's happened to me several times. I've also shattered S&W floating firing pins (two so far, but this was a result of dry firing without Snap-Caps). The main jam I've seen is bullets jumping crimp. It happens...so carry a second gun. It doesn't have to be a big gun...just carry something in 380 Auto or 32 Magnum or larger.

skoro
March 20, 2009, 02:06 PM
While I defintely prefer revolvers and own more than autos, I think the bottom feeders are very useful and I wouldn't get rid of them. But the wheelies are just so much more pleasing to shoot, IMHO.

edrice
March 20, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'm a revolver-only and a semi-only kinda guy. I shoot only one at a time. But with 4 semis and 7 revolvers, I have lots of "only's" to choose from.

Ed

Vern Humphrey
March 20, 2009, 03:31 PM
I own more revolvers than autos, but it's mainly a cartridge issue -- I have .22 autos and one .22 revolver, plus three M1911s -- true defensive weapons. But I also have .357s, .45 Colts, and one .38 Special.

BullRunBear
March 20, 2009, 04:50 PM
Probably 95% of my handgun shooting is with revolvers. For one thing I reload all my center fire ammo and revolvers lend more latitude, including loading some black powder 45 Colt ammo for the Vaquero. Also, the ground gets farther away every year and shagging brass is not fun. But the real reason is I just plain prefer the look and handling of revolvers, whether DA or SA. I carry a 2" SP 101 DAO with laser grips, loaded with 38+P ammo. Shooting from the hip, that lets me call my shots within 30 feet which is good enough for defense purposes. If I had to worry about shootng through an engine block or similar TV type stuff, I would use FMJ full house loads in my 357 magnum Redhawk. Fortunately, that isn't necessary.

We do own two autos: a Ruger MK II competition model and a CZ 75B 9mm. (I guess it's two and half autos since I also have the Kadet conversion for the CZ.) We got them for my wife. They are simply more comfortable to her. If I feel like shooting 45 ACP, I just put the spare cylinder in the Blackhawk 45 Colt conversion. :D

I wish I could say I shot revolvers more accurately than autos, but I don't. At 25 yards it's a toss up. Farther out, the edge definitely goes to the revolvers. But I have a buddy who lets me use his Glock 9mm. I hate the look and I hate the grip, and I REALLY hate the trigger. (Try going from a K-38 to the Glock and you'll know waht I mean.) But I shoot the dang thing as well or better than any other handgun. That drives me NUTS. :cuss: But the next gun will still have a cylinder.

Jeff

rdrancher
March 20, 2009, 05:36 PM
I like semi-autos and have a few, but for me it's been revolver only for carry the last two years. 642, SP101 or an Old Charter Arms Undercover.

rd

bflobill_69
March 20, 2009, 05:56 PM
You've heard the debate time and again...

A quality revolver is the most reliable handgun made.

Six for sure,

Bflobill69

Vern Humphrey
March 20, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hang around here long enough and you'll read plenty of accounts of revolvers failing. And most revolver failings can't be cured by tap-rack-bang.

BlindJustice
March 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
I seem to fit your revolver 'profile,' but have two semi-autos - shoot all of them. First handgun I ever bought, well Dad did for me was a S&W
Model 18 4" Bbl. .22 LR. It served me well on the farm in my teens in the
mid/late '60s - Central Washington STate. These days I have:

Revolvers in order of shooting pref.
------------------------------------
625-8 5" Bbl. w/full underlug .45 ACP & I shoot the
.45 Auto Rim with Semi-wadcutters as well. Nice
complent to my 1911 as a source for once fired brass..

617 6" Bbl. 10 shot cylinder, great for warmup for a DA
centerfire session, or in the field SA plinking/rabbit gun;

60-15 3" Bbl. .357 Mag. but 95% .38 SPecial +P Great
balance - waffling on some wood grips, all my other smiths have
Hogue Rosewood or Coco Bolo.

686P 4" Bbl. with a Milt Sparks #AW200 holster, Compact style
grips with finger grooves/checkering In .357 Mag. I shoot it least
effectively but I keep working at it.

I'd like to get a 610 10MM AUto/.40 S&W for the next revolver,
as well as a 63 3 1/2" Bbl. to pair with the 60 and have a llighter .22 LR
to start the grandkids on in a 8 or so years.

I don't know what Semi-AAutos you have but I took a friend to the range
with my S&W 1911 and CZ 75B - 9mm luger last summer. He had remarked he had shot some semis of other friends and had rarely gotten through a magazine without a jam. Afterwards, he said he liked the 9mm luger but
would want it in a 1911 for the better trigger. Also said it was obvious his friends didn't have quality guns or ammo compared to mine.

The SW1911 settled down after a 400-500 rd break-in, just needs cleaning after every or every other range session. The CZ 75B has never
missed a beat in 1300 rounds so far, not a single FTF or FTE. I have a
Milt Sparks 1 1/2" belt and MS #Axiom holster for the 1911.

Both the 625 and 686 have had the Main spring back off for dud primer hits and the 625 stuck it's Firing pin into a shotshell .45 ACP once and locked it up, but the 60 & 617 have been reliable.

Next Semi-Auto? S&W has the small 908 single stack 9mm Luger I'd like for the firepower advantage over the 5 shot 60 for an inexpensive purchase. but I'd really like the new offering of the 1911 Compact ES, it's the Officers frame with a Commander length 4.25" Bbl./ slide.

I don't see many young guys shooting revolvers much at the range I go to
- Bob the owner said they all mostly like tupperware semis.

Randall

ojibweindian
March 20, 2009, 07:25 PM
Revolvers are very reliable, 'till they're not. A time or two, I've had a poorly crimped bullet jump its crimp and lock up the cylinder. Took a trip to the gun shop to fix it. Also had a primer back out, again, locking things up.

A semi might choke more often, but it's usually very easy to tap-rack-bang your pistol back to happiness.

rishooter
March 20, 2009, 09:56 PM
revolvers better than automatics as a rule and mostly shoot them.I do like the Browning HP and 1911 though,and can't give them up.
The Browning is a snap to break down and reassemble anyway.
For rimfire I like either just as well,but Ruger 22 autos are a pain to put back together.

wrs840
March 20, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm a revolver fan these days for practical reasons. I carry a 442 every work-day, and it's because it's become very comfortable in a pocket holster in pleated dress-pants to go with my regular not-so-casual business wear. It's just "right" for the gig.

I regularly hip-carry one of several larger frame revolver in the woods and around the farm, and again, it seems to me like the better utility tool for those semi-abusive conditions. I own two Smiths, three Taurus, and one Ruger revolver and love them.

I used to be a mainly-auto guy twenty years ago, and sold some I should have kept, but the FN BHP I bought new way back when and thankfully kept is pure joy and runs like a sewing machine. But it's too big for me to CC and too cherry for me knock around in the rough with.

Les

22-rimfire
March 20, 2009, 10:20 PM
Each firearm fits a purpose or niche. I own and shoot both. But franky, prefer double action revolvers.

I hunt whitetails with a Super Redhawk.

Confederate
March 21, 2009, 12:38 AM
I've experienced some bum revolvers, mostly Llamas, Taurus and S&W. Never a Ruger. Ever. If a revolver has too much head space, the cartridges can come out the back and bind. If the B/C gap isn't right, you can get spitting and excess flame. Use factory ammo and you're in good hands. If you reload, crimp the bullet.

It's a real pain in the ass to reload 9mm.

Dr.Rob
March 21, 2009, 03:01 AM
Carrying the speed loaders is my biggest complaint about the DA revolver in general. I like revolvers, its the speedy reloading that makes them cumbersome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver ONLY--Anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!