870 mag extension

PDA

jpatterson
August 31, 2008, 04:37 PM
I have an 18inch barreled 870 and would like to expand the magazine a bit. It's currently at 4+1, so what is the longest extension I can get to make the tube flush (or close) with the barrel? My guess is a +2, but I just want to make sure before I buy anything. Anyone have good experience with a certain kind? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "870 mag extension" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FLRon
August 31, 2008, 04:43 PM
The +2 will make it flush to the end of the 18" barrel. The 20" barrel has a +3 available.

Devonai
August 31, 2008, 05:18 PM
FLRon is correct. As far as brands, I had good results with Tac-Star.

Pardon me if you already know this, but you may need to do some work on your existing tube to get the extension to work properly. You may have two dimples on the inside of the tube near the cap that will need to be removed. I used a semi-circular file and some elbow grease to get rid of mine.

MAX100
August 31, 2008, 05:18 PM
Measure your bbl with a dowel from the closed bolt face to the muzzle. If it is a newer 870 it will have a 18.5" bbl. The barrels are also beefer and have a larger diameter. So much so the LE Speedfeed forends will not work on them without modifying it.

I make a +3 tube ext for the newer 18.5" bbl 870. It is a +3 (7+1) even with the muzzle on a 18.5" bbl 870. No other manufacture offers these. Their tube ext are for the the older 18" bbl 870 shotguns. They will be 5/8" shorter on a newer 18.5" bbl 870.

If you just want a +2 (6+1) tube ext that is even with the muzzle look for a factory tube ext kit or Tanks Rifle Shop makes a very nice copy of the factory tube ext kit and it cost much less. I don't know if tanks will be even with the muzzle on your shotgun.

You will have to drill out the mag tube dimples on your shotgun for any tube ext to work.

GC

Calhoun321
August 31, 2008, 05:32 PM
For quality go with Wilson Combat or Vang Comp. Wilson is less expensive of the two.

kingjoey
August 31, 2008, 05:41 PM
+1 for MAX100's extensions, we got our first one in last week and the workmanship is top notch.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 mag extension" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!