Opening Day of Dove Season...

PDA

Snarlingiron
August 31, 2008, 09:48 PM
The alarm will sound at 4:00 am in the morning. I will get up, get coffee, and jump into the already loaded up car and head for my buddy's house. I'll get there about 5:15. We will get into his jeep, with the shotguns, the decoys, all the paraphernalia and head for the dove lease.

It's about an hour from his house. We will get there just before sunup, and will hike out to our pre-selected spot and wait for sunrise. With a little luck, the dove will begin to fly.

It doesn't get any better than this. I think of the approaching dear season. It will be cold then, but much the same. Watch the sun creep over the trees, and see the critters come to life as they begin their workday.

Opening day of Dove Season...anybody else pumped up as much as I am??

If you enjoyed reading about "Opening Day of Dove Season..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Floppy_D
August 31, 2008, 10:06 PM
Sure, except it opens for me at noon. I'll leisurely roll out of bed some time around 930 or 10, eat a breakfast burrito on the way to my buddy's house, and listen to Minor Threat and drink coffee on the way to the sunflower fields.

Don't get me wrong, the car is loaded, and I am excited. :)

chas08
August 31, 2008, 11:14 PM
Opening day of Dove Season...anybody else pumped up as much as I am??

YUP!!!.....Trucks packed, Alarms (2) are set. All I need now is tommorrow. :)

Blue Brick
September 1, 2008, 06:16 AM
I'm up already! 0216 AZ time

plumberroy
September 1, 2008, 06:23 AM
:D5:22 headed out the door:D

3pairs12
September 1, 2008, 07:45 AM
Good luck guys and be safe. Gotta go I am a little late.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
September 1, 2008, 09:10 AM
Opens at 11am here. Truck's not packed, but I've got plenty of time this morning and everything's piled up ready to load. Trusty ol' pump gun and the autoloader my wife got me last year for Christmas in cases next to the shell-laiden vest and a still-in-the-box Mojo dove decoy recently shipped to my doorstep.

TexasRifleman
September 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
Enjoy :)

This year with the first day coming on Monday I'm having to wait until next weekend to begin......ugh.

3pairs12
September 1, 2008, 12:12 PM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/steere12/BritsDove001.jpg

My kids first bird :)

plumberroy
September 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
:D:D:DNow that looks like a happy young Lady.:D:D:D
That is what it's all about (I'm willing to bet the guy behind the camera had just as big a smile)
Roy

3pairs12
September 1, 2008, 12:26 PM
Probably bigger. It was so cool and surprising too. I am very proud today.

Matt-J2
September 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
What's the point of dove hunting? Seriously, I have no idea. Do they taste good, or is it just the shooting that's the objective?
I've never been even slightly interested in bird hunting of any kind...up until I tasted pheasant last year. Mmmmm, gotta get some more of that.

3pairs12
September 1, 2008, 02:11 PM
They are a challenging and fun bird to shoot. They are like little fighter jets. I think that they actually fly 50 mph. I also eat them, some people don't care for the taste. I like to take half of a breast a jalapeno cut into 2 halves put a piece of sharp cheddar half the breast inside the pepper halves wrap it with piece of hickory bacon, put a toothpick thru to hold it together and barbque them. Turns out pretty good for apetizers.

TexasRifleman
September 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
Do they taste good, or is it just the shooting that's the objective?

No, it's not the shooting, it's the eating. OK well it's both, but the eating is so good :)

My 2 favorite ways are
1) a small slit on each side of the breast with a slice of japapeno in it then smoked.

2) marinated overnight in italian dressing with a slice of bacon wrapped around, then grilled.

Mmmm, we should start a dove recipe thread!

Virginian
September 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
It's the experience.
I was back in the back yard in the shade cleaning birds at 8:30 this morning, with two dogs and a cat anxious to help. I finished up well before it got hot, and reflected on how great a morning it had been. It was my stepson's first ever hunt of any kind, and he did okay. I warned him there might not be too many birds, and then we got absolutely swarmed. Life is good.

Snarlingiron
September 1, 2008, 06:41 PM
Man what a hunt this am! My buddy and I both limited out around 10:30, and his 9 year old son took 11 birds. Steady run of birds all morning. What a great time. We both took the day off tomorrow, and are going back.

I'm thinking a Dove Recipe thread would be a capitol idea.

My kids first bird

Start 'em young. Great photo.

Dave McCracken
September 1, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the pic. Made my evening.

Dove Marsala.....

Cut each breast half in half thickness wise.Remove any shot. Wet,then dredge in seasoned flour. I like some salt and Old Bay Seasoning.

Saute, not fry, in butter and olive oil. As it cooks, in a second pan saute sliced white mushrooms, onions and Prosciutto. Towards the end of cooking add a cruched clove of garlic.

When the mushrooms are done, remove the contents to a platter with steamed rice on it. Deglaze both pans with Marsala wine and pour the sauces over the breasts and veggies. Enjoy....

Note, a decent white wine can be used instead of Marsala.

3pairs12
September 1, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the recipe I am going to make some Dove Marsala for dinner tomorrow.

rantingredneck
September 1, 2008, 11:05 PM
We ended up getting a last minute invite to some private land in Lee County NC. Acres of standing sunflowers awaiting the birdies.

We got there about 12:30. It was my Father In Law, Me, and 4 other guys.

As soon as we got out of the truck and got guns loaded I had one rise right out of the sunflowers in front of me. Almost looked like a pheasant taking off. Straight up and then broke left. I swung through and fired. Head shot, helicoptered to the ground.

I thought "Oh boy we're gonna have a good day." We dispersed around the field. My FIL and I sat near the trucks for a bit to see where the flyways were. We had about 80 acres to just the six of us so there was plenty of space. We sat there for about an hour and a half just shooting the breeze and shooting (at) some doves.

After that first one I seemed to start having "issues". My swing through wasn't swinging right. I finally looked over at my FIL and said, "Hey, you take the lead out of my shells when I wasn't lookin?" He laughed, I said a few choice words when I missed and missed and missed again.

I put the 11-87 up and broke out the Remington 31. Talk about a difference in weight. The 31 weighs nothing compared to the 11-87. I had forgotten how light it is. I folded one bird with it and missed a few more. Finally decided that I wasn't in the mood to pound myself to death with the light weight pump gun with no recoil pad to speak of.

Went back to the 11-87.

By this point we decided to move upfield a bit. There was one corner that seemed to be getting a lot of traffic and no one was there. We spread about 100 yds apart to cover this corner. It was about 3:00. We had 6 doves between us at this point.

Well, about half an hour later I thought we'd stepped through a wormhole and ended up in Argentina on one of those guided dove shoots. The sky was dark with 'em. I couldn't keep my gun loaded. I missed three straight shots at one bird and then there were 20 overhead. I slammed one home in the chamber and fired taking one down with the two other shells between the fingers of my support hand. I fed two more singles in that way and took one more dove out of those two rounds before I could get my gun fully reloaded.

I've never seen so many doves in one place. EVER. And I've dove hunted every year for the last 20 years. I was still a little shaky in my shooting though. I was nailing the longish shots but missing some of the easy ones. :cuss: "Hey, you been at my shells again?"

Finally settled in after I figured out what's different. My swing through is definitely off and the reason seems to be my back surgery. I just don't have the ROM in my torso like I used to. I adjusted by getting more up on the balls of my feet and pivoting more from there. Then I started nailing them. By quarter to six I had limited out. So had my FIL. Two of the four other guys had too, with one of the others getting six birds and another 12.

The doves are dressed and in the fridge. I'll freeze them tomorrow. Probably cook them this weekend.

All in all it was a good day. Limited out, but it took me near four boxes of shells to get there........:banghead:

chas08
September 2, 2008, 12:19 AM
Great opening day. The Ithaca Ultrafeatherlight 20 ga. performed flawlessly. What a sweet little gun. My first time hunting with it and I couldn't be happier. :D

Larry Ashcraft
September 2, 2008, 12:46 AM
Great pic 3pairs12! Congratulations!

Matt-J2, dove meat is great, but it should be. It costs more per pound than the finest Filet Mignon in the finest restaurant. :rolleyes:

We always looked at dove season as a tune up for wing-shooting season, but it's a great time all by itself. Nice weather, good company, lots of shooting.

I may not have mentioned, but we live on 35 acres of river-bottom land. Our dove hunting is done about 100 feet from where I sit right now. I just grab a hat, vest and shotgun and walk down to the barn. :p Yep, hunted all day without even starting the truck. :D

TxState101
September 2, 2008, 12:51 AM
Got the new over and under out for the first time hunting with it. It performed flawlessly, I, however, did not, but still managed being decent.

The morning hunt, I was hunting in Stonewall with two buddies at his grandparents' place, not a whole lot of birds flying, knocked one down and couldn't find it, couldn't hit anything else that flew anywhere in range, we closed up at about 10:00. Total birds knocked down and found: 5.

Took a quick nap after breakfast, left Stonewall, and met my dad at his buddies' house in Austin, where we hunted from 3PM - 6:30PM, just about everybody limiting out, except for me. Wasn't taking my time lining up the shots, and shooting out of range a few times. Still, 7 birds in my vest and they were flying like no other. Lost a couple in Austin, knocked one bird out of the air with the top barrel, and knocked down the second bird with the bottom, and reloaded and started trekking my way down the hill, and searched for about 25 minutes and couldn't find the birds, though I found many feathers laying about.

Still, one of the best days this year, and I couldn't think of a better way to spend Labor Day.

Larry Ashcraft
September 2, 2008, 01:14 AM
TxState101, most of the time when I'm missing like that, I figure out I'm taking too much time lining up the shot. I don't shoot sustained lead well. Give me all day watching a bird coming in and I'll miss him, every time. A shadow over the barn, and a snap shot, and I'll usually drop him.

Trust your instincts.

That's just me of course, but I've hunted doves for 48 years, and I know I can hit them, but sometimes I think myself into a miss. I missed doves all morning today, but once I let the old skills take over, I was doing all right.

Okiecruffler
September 2, 2008, 01:31 AM
Didn't do that well this morning. Only 5 shots, 3 birds. MIssed the first double, scored the second, then picked up a single on the way to the jeep. But I was only out for about an hour, had worked all night. This evening was much better, five for five. Alot of birds flying, but not coming to my little pond. Might try again tomorrow afternoon if I get my patients wrapped up quick enough.

And my personnel favorite is just a pinch of salt, pepper and believe it or not brown suger, then bake in foil. But I do believe I'm going to have to try some Dove Ala Dave.

MCgunner
September 2, 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't get to go til this weekend due to work. Dangit, missed opening day. Who the HELL scheduled Texas north zone to open on a Monday, anyway, damnit!!!??? I mean, I wasn't doing anything, but it's a long drive to Waco.

Dave McCracken
September 2, 2008, 10:40 AM
Envy, envy....

Working until Friday. may get to go then. Had some doves at work, just taunting me...

Chas, after looking at your pic, I wonder if we're related.

About Dove....

Being the first thing open, dove season serves as a humbling experience. Some of us are rusty, some using shotguns that have sat un exercised since last season, some of us just get The Fever.

The Fever is more oft associated with big buck deer, but a half lb of feathers and velocity can cause it also. Don't ask how I know.

A couple tips.

Preseason, some clay shooting helps. If your friendly local clays course has a tower, work on incoming and outgoing birds from different firing points. Use the gun and load you'll have on Opening Day.

Also, most of us focus on the wings. The rapid movement draws our eyes to them. If we can shift our focus to the head, we do better.

HTH....

chas08
September 2, 2008, 10:55 AM
Who the HELL scheduled Texas north zone to open on a Monday, anyway, damnit!!!???

MC,
I think I remember reading one time that it's a federal ruling of some sort. That the migratory bird season can't start before Sept 1 and the states don't have the latitude to change it. Seems silly, but I guess they have their reasons. We had a great hunt near Converse,Tx. I was limited out in 45 minutes with six shells to spare from the box. (the old man has still got it, at least for now) I really like my Ithaca 37 but I don't think it will replace my 28 ga Baikal SxS. (LOL) I'm getting to old and fat to be bending over picking up hulls. I think that Ithaca has,first grandchild, written all over it. Happy Hunting. :)

chas08
September 2, 2008, 11:00 AM
Chas, after looking at your pic, I wonder if we're related.

Of course we are!!!...We're Shotgunners. :D

TxState101
September 2, 2008, 11:27 AM
TxState101, most of the time when I'm missing like that, I figure out I'm taking too much time lining up the shot. I don't shoot sustained lead well. Give me all day watching a bird coming in and I'll miss him, every time. A shadow over the barn, and a snap shot, and I'll usually drop him.

Trust your instincts.

That's just me of course, but I've hunted doves for 48 years, and I know I can hit them, but sometimes I think myself into a miss. I missed doves all morning today, but once I let the old skills take over, I was doing all right.

I know what you're saying, and it's a hard thing for me to adjust to. Yeah, I know I can hit them when they're coming in with the wind and I have no warning. But I feel that if I have one coming in low and slow, I still blaze away at it instead of taking my time.

It's been over a year since I got to go out hunting, I'll blame it on the rust and make up for it next weekend, or barring that, on the south zone opening day.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
It wasn't good. Saw only 9. Shot at only 3. Missed all 3. Man, they'se is fast. Between three of us hunters, we came up with ONE dead dove. :scrutiny: Hoping that their numbers will increase with some cold fronts. My buddy, hunting elsewhere, really got into them, and he used 4 boxes of shells (100) to come up with 13 doves, so I guess I ain't the only one who is none too good of a shot.

MSWildfowler
September 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
My opening day (afternoon) was quite a treat. Winds were high, which makes for some very interesting shooting. Definitely not a day for the 28 gauge, who was left in the truck for this hunt.

We got a report Sunday evening from our farmer friend who said that dove were boiling out of one of his corn fields while they were cutting it. Just the kind of report we needed to hear. Hunting in Humphreys country, which is just above an imaginary line defining setting the boundary of central MS kept us out of most of the rain from Hurricane Gustav, but it didn't put us far enough away to be out of the high wind. I'm sure I've hunted on windier days, but yesterday was a screaming east wind for sure, and the dove were flying crazy and very difficult to connect with.

Every dove I shot that was flying with the wind (managed to hit very few of these) fell to the earth about 100 yards away. The best bet was to try to shoot the ones that were flying into the wind, which offered little resistance to the shot.

Our hunt began at around 1 pm, and it was a steady barrage of shooting for the next three hours. There were around 30 shooters spread out over 300-400 acres where the dove seemed to be congregating. It was a mad house with dove flying everywhere. Combined with the excitement of the opening day, I'll admit that I was having a difficult time making the connection. I've always felt under gunned on windy days. With reports of the hurricane all week long, the wind was surely on my mind and had psychologically taken it's toll on my shooting.

Frustrated with my less than stellar shooting, I had to change my plan of attack. Under these conditions, dove hunting by yourself can be very good walking them up out of the stubble. On high wind days, I've learned that dove will hold very tight in stubble. Corn/Milo stubble is tall enough to hide my approach, and on the windy days, they just don't hear you coming. On a normal day, while walking through the same field, dove will get up at least 100 yards our in front of you. There's no way you can walk up on one. On windy days, they'll not flush until you're within 20-25 yards of them. Walking into the wind, will almost always put a bird struggling to get out and away from you. I don't think I've ever had one come out and zing over my head with the wind. They always flush into the wind and it is some kind of fun shooting and such a different change of pace from a typical MS dove hunt. It was not long into the hunt, before I stuck out on my own path away from the other hunters. If I were going to save face and come away from this hunt with a limit of birds too, I was going to have to find some closer, slower moving shots.

Mississippi doesn't really have much remnants of wild bird quail hunting anymore, and I've never been on a wild bird quail hunt. In fact, I've never shot a quail. Reading stories about upland bird shooting, I know I would love it, but we're just not blessed with access to this type of wingshooting in my area. We are blessed with an abundance of dove, and being on the southern end of the migration, we are blessed with good dove shooting opportunity during the entire 70 day season. If given a windy day with some good stubble, this is as close to upland bird shooting as I have been able to imagine. I managed to shoot half of my 15 bird limit yesterday walking most of them up in the corn stubble. My Labrador has no pointing instinct whatsoever, so there is no warning when a bird is going to flush. You've got to keep your eyes peeled, or you might miss it. What she lacks in pointing skills, she makes up for in retrieving. While making a retrieve on a windy day, she's bound to give rise to more birds which just don't spook easily. It's upland bird hunting, Mississippi style, or at the very least, it's my version of upland bird hunting.

Happy days are here again.

ch1966
September 2, 2008, 06:29 PM
I limited out yesterday and today. At least I thought I did yesterday. When the cleaning was all done I was one bird short. I wonder what happened to it?
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2231/p9010008as0.jpg

Dave McCracken
September 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
Chas, I was referring to the,uh, counterweight and mustache.

Of course, we're both Knights Of The Scattergun.....

chas08
September 2, 2008, 11:51 PM
Chas, I was referring to the,uh, counterweight and mustache.

(LOL) I knew exactly where you were going with it. I seen pictures of the "Geezers" and I'd blend right in.:D

rantingredneck
September 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Don't feel bad ch1966. At least the dog has the look of "plausible deniability" about him.

This afternoon my father in law found a dove in the back of his truck. Apparently last night when we were dressing them we missed one. That proves 2 things:
1) We can't see in the dark even with 2 flashlights between us and his area light at his shop helping us.
2) Neither of us can count. I could swear I counted 30 birds dressed, I guess I shoulda took my shoes off.

Dave McCracken
September 3, 2008, 08:17 AM
Chas, you would.

MCgunner
September 3, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well, hell, we're going to leave out of here (Port Lavaca) after my son-in-law gets off work at 6 friday afternoon for Whacko, er, Waco. My buddy says they had an average hunt opening day, but he's got it a little better scouted out, now. He has a couple of places, one leased for the hay, the other his place (70 acres) and his dad's 400 acre farm to choose from. I go up there every season for a hunt. So, I figure we'll get in by 12 midnight and leave for home Sunday evening after the evening hunt and get home whenever 'cause son-in-law has to work Monday. Me, I can sleep. I'm old, I need my sleep. I just hope he stays awake at the wheel. LOL

South zone opens up in a few weeks, so maybe I'll make an opening day. I'm sorta thinking about running my boat out to Matagorda Island. They allow dove hunting out there. If we get a hunt going out there, Chas, the boat will hold 3. :D I've never tried the dove hunting out there, so I have no idea how good it might be. I do know I want a flat bay to get over there. It's a 3 mile run across open water.

Of course, we have teal season coming up, too, which might conflict with dove plans. I need to look at the schedule and figure that one out.

Snarlingiron
September 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
Preseason, some clay shooting helps. If your friendly local clays course has a tower, work on incoming and outgoing birds from different firing points. Use the gun and load you'll have on Opening Day.

Elm Fork had a "Dove" course set up. 50 targets set up to simulate dove presentations. We shot it the day before opening day, and all did pretty well. It does help.

Well, hell, we're going to leave out of here (Port Lavaca) after my son-in-law gets off work at 6 friday afternoon for Whacko, er, Waco.

I was born in "Whacko", and lived there until I was 36. Usually good dove hunting.

chas08
September 3, 2008, 12:29 PM
Of course, we have teal season coming up, too, which might conflict with dove plans. I need to look at the schedule and figure that one out.

MC,
I'd most definitely be interested. Teal season is Sept 13 - 28. I just got that off of the TP&W website. Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm hoping we can hook up for a goose hunt this coming season. I hunt mostly public lands these days. But I'd be up for a guided hunt too.:)

Chas, you would.

Dave, thats not a counterweight, it's my chest, I'm just wearing it lower these days. :D

MCgunner
September 3, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'll give you a holler. We got a decent goose hunt last year just south of town for 120 a gun, think it was. We're thinking about another late season book, probably January or February after duck season. Could add another gun. Heck, I'm always going to GDWMA for ducks, too. :D I'll shoot you a PM soon. If we get a good morning over to the island, we could take the fishing gear, too. We'll see what shakes, but we're definitely going to do a teal hunt or two, also. I'm going to have to get my bow light and stern light going on the boat. Haven't taken it out before dawn in a while. LOL Might also run up to Mad Island this season if I ever get that blasted 10 gauge. There's a good spot up there for geese and I have 150 or so wind sock rags.

I was born in "Whacko", and lived there until I was 36. Usually good dove hunting.

My buddy is from West, grew up on the farm there. He runs Matula Insurance in Belmead. He's an old Aggie buddy and "BFF" as the kids say now days. Don't know if ya know him, but he's a Waco original. :D Larry's on the right, I'm on the left. This is from last year on his dad's farm.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh305/goose150/PICT0185.jpg

hkenvy91
September 6, 2008, 09:58 PM
well, im 35 yrs old and i got my first bird thursday evening.i went with my dad up to his buddies house and set up around 3pm, it wasnt to busy out there and watching my dad miss 3 double sets that went his way , i went over to where he was as no birds were flyin my way to ask him if he needed bifocules, lol. he said go grab your chair and come over here with me as i cant hit anything today.well soon after i set up with him a loner came in fast right above me, i jumped up and folded it on the second shot with my 11-87. so all in all ,2 rounds / 1 bird. we plan on goin back as the same field usually has thousands of birds in it

Gordon
September 7, 2008, 12:50 AM
To me it is amazing that the season runs pretty much the same across country!
I went today- 100 miles round trip. I got my 5, my wife will cook them for us Sunday. I used a Browning BSS 12 ga. with MANDATED steel shot (Winchester Xpert steel 1oz. #6s) which worked well in the old 1974 mod and imp. SxSBSS

adam_oz
September 7, 2008, 01:47 AM
VERY! It is already open in Nebraska but i am in college and cant go home to shoot them until later this month. Cant wait!

Rock_Steady
September 7, 2008, 10:11 AM
Monday was my first time out. Wandered to a cornfiled near Bruceton, WV with my hunting buddy, who realized that he forgot a crucial element when he got there - a shotgun! So while he and his dog left for an hour to go get said gun, I knocked down 6 and then 4 more when he returned. I consider that pretty good for a first time winghunter. :)

Camjr
September 7, 2008, 10:36 AM
We were out just southeast of Rockwall, TX. Echoing the other posts, for me it's more about the experience of being out in the field before the sun comes up on opening day, watching the sun come up, and waiting for the birds to start flying. I don't deer hunt much, but love to hunt dove, quail, and pheasant. We were all staying at a REALLY nice man-cave (converted crop duster hanger) that has every ammenity you could think of (including a craps table), and the fellowship with guys I reconnect with every year makes it a great time. I usually find that opening day is not about the birds...

I limited the first day with a combination of mourning dove and whitewings. The second day was no good, as the outer bands of Hurricane Gustav started coming in, the wind picked up, and the pressure dropped. As many birds as we saw on day 1, there just weren't any flying on day 2.

I pull the breasts off the bone, put a slice of fresh jalepeno, a little cream cheese, and a bit of red onion between them, and wrap them in maple bacon. Grill them off for good eatin'.

Okiecruffler
September 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
Went out friday morning, didn't see a single bird, danged cold snap. But I did bag a pair of squirrel, so I still managed to put something in the pot.

cerberus65
September 7, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yesterday was my first time ever. First dove season here is Saturday afternoons only so there were way more hunters than doves at any one time in the field. It was fun to watch multiple guys get shots at the same bird until someone took it down. Not many birds got all the way across the field. :-)

I pulled down 7 myself. I'd have had double that number if I could shoot better. Guess I'll need to go get more practice. :evil:

Hardtarget
September 7, 2008, 09:54 PM
I didn't make the hunt this year. Shoulder surgery will preclude any shooting for a while.(left shoulder/south-paw shooter :mad: )

My sons went. Had the BEST hunt ever. In fact, it was a very good day. They went for the early season goose that A.M. and got two. Then headed for the dove field and... well...they stopped at 25 combined bag.

They will rag me about this for years! :rolleyes: :D

Mark.

MCgunner
September 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
We're back from Waco. Didn't do as good this year, could only hunt a day and a half due to son-in-law's job. I did eek out a limit Saturday, but the birds weren't flying Sunday morning and didn't even pull the trigger. The little Spartan 20 gauge choked I/C-mod was THE ticket, though. :D Last year I'd choked I/C-full and the full choke was a bit much. I hit some 35 yard shots with the Mod choke a lot easier, better pattern for doves. Started out a might slow Saturday morning, but got into it by the afternoon and was concentrating well on swing and follow through. Main thing is, I had fun. :D

berettashotgun
September 8, 2008, 02:11 PM
I actually seen more Dove this past weekend than last..

TxState101
September 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
MCgunner, whereabouts do you live in Port Lavaca?

My step-great-grandfather lived inbetween Port Lavaca and Tivoli, and my great-aunt lived in Tivoli proper. I haven't been down there in 9 or 10 years since they passed away, but I figure the mosquitoes are still as large as mourning doves.

Crazy Fingers
September 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
You guys are killin' me. The season opens October 4th here in Florida. I've got a Dove Club permit to hunt a state run special opportunity field fot all 8 hunts it is open. It's one of the better ones in the state. They've got probably a hundred acres of millet out there. I just wish I could go to sleep for another twenty something days so I could hurry and hunt!

I have seen more doves than ever in the past few weeks around here. Apparently the biologists have noticed too, we are allowed 15/day here and it was 12/day last year. It's going to be a great year!

BruceRDucer
September 10, 2008, 10:19 PM
You have to see this little hunter shoot doves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDmYVidO_AM&feature=related

If you enjoyed reading about "Opening Day of Dove Season..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!