So I saw a NEF w/ a short barrel at the pawn shop today.....

PDA

Realbigo
August 31, 2008, 09:45 PM
So i saw a NEF single barrel at the pawn shop today, and the barrel looked a bit short, so I broke out a $1 bill and low and behold it was shorter than 3 bills and 3 inches long. I showed the owner this and he told me that the chamber was included in the legal 18 inch barrel. I don't believe this is the case, and in the past the owner of this shop has been a stand up guy, so I don't want to get him in a jam, over a misunderstanding of the law. Does anyone know for sure About this??

If you enjoyed reading about "So I saw a NEF w/ a short barrel at the pawn shop today....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingjoey
August 31, 2008, 09:52 PM
The barrel length is measured from the boltface (when the bolt/breech is closed) to the muzzle.

wdlsguy
August 31, 2008, 09:52 PM
the length of the barrel having an integral chamber(s) on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breech block when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked.

27 CFR 479.11 (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_08/27cfr479_08.html)

orvpark
August 31, 2008, 10:00 PM
he's right

highorder
August 31, 2008, 10:03 PM
not to mention a dollar bill is 6" long. 3 bills would do it.

Realbigo
August 31, 2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks gents. I stand corrected(and awed by how quickly wdlsguy came up w/ the code section)

wdlsguy
August 31, 2008, 10:15 PM
It's a frequently asked question around here. ;)

KarbineKrazy
September 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
go buy it!

I used to have a 20 inch H&R Topper 88 with an adjustable choke tube.

It was stolen from my car, but it was one of my favorite guns!

I would buy another one if I found one set up for under $100, but I won't have the barrel chopped and choked on another one.

HiWayMan
September 3, 2008, 11:16 AM
Just recencently chopped a 20 gauge NEF I picked up for $45. Barrel is @ 18 7/8" and dropped 1" off the butt. Total length is something like 33". It makes a hell of a quick handling bunny gun. Everyone who gazes upon it, covets it.

If you enjoyed reading about "So I saw a NEF w/ a short barrel at the pawn shop today....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!