A wedge remover

PDA

jojosdad
August 31, 2008, 11:33 PM
I was cleaning my '51 Navy and didn't have the piece of antler that I usually use to tap the wedge out handy, so I used the rim on a 30-06 case I had handy. Worked great. Just thought I'd pass it on.

If you enjoyed reading about "A wedge remover" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokin_Gun
September 1, 2008, 02:52 AM
I use a cut off handle of a tuff telon/nylon/plastic white round handled brushes. Filed down with a hoof Rasp(heeHee)funny but true to a wedge shape the width of your wedge to tap or hammer it out with no damage.

If no white round teflon brush is readily available use your old toothbrush.

SG

Mike 56
September 1, 2008, 01:06 PM
I fit mine with a fine file and stone. I can push mine out with my thumb or a light tap with a screwdriver handle.

Mike

Omnivore
September 1, 2008, 06:33 PM
A piece of wood dowell, an old drum stick cut short, a standard brass punch (leaves brass marks) a standard Delrin punch or whatever small block of wood happens to be within reach. It takes such a light tap, or a few light taps, that we're not talking a big issue here. I use whatever's handy. Usually that means a Leatherman tool, folded as a mallet, with several layers of cleaning patch or paper between the two. You don't see any dents or other marks on my gun or wedge either.

I figure if I can't push the wedge out (Colt's called it a "key") with my two thumbs with moderate pressure, it's tight enough. Usually that's about four light taps with the Leatherman going in, and one or two coming out.

scrat
September 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
i have a pancho made brain fart tool.

In fact where has he been lately

Sistema1927
September 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
I have a little brass headed hammer that stays with my BP gear.

If you enjoyed reading about "A wedge remover" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!