Thread Necromancy (Again)

PDA

VHinch
September 1, 2008, 12:42 AM
Seems that thread necromancy is worse than ever, and the reviving post seldom, if ever contributes anything useful to the thread. Maybe it's just me, but it's god awful annoying. Has any thought be given to restricting posting access to old threads? At the m1911.org forum for example, when you open an old thread, you get this flag "This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?" I don't know the inner workings of vbulletin well enough to know the specifics, but has any thought been given to incorporating something similar here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thread Necromancy (Again)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
September 1, 2008, 12:50 AM
Yet if someone starts a new thread just like an old one, someone screams "Use the search function!"

VHinch
September 1, 2008, 12:51 AM
Haha. Touche'.

Loomis
September 1, 2008, 12:51 AM
Nah. I like the undead threads.

What I would like though, is some kind of method for determining what posts are responses to which posts. POssibly put a button at the bottom of each post within a thread so you could reply specifically to that post. then in the heading of each post, there maybe could be a line that says "reply to post # such and such"

Also, maybe there could be an alert message show up in your user control panel everytime one of your posts is responded to. Kinda like youtube. They give you a heads up in your email account whenever someone responds to one of your comments.

zxcvbob
September 1, 2008, 01:01 AM
Is there a pop-up here that asks "Do you really want to reply to a thread this old?" (paraphrased) Or is that at TFL?

ZeSpectre
September 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
Well,
I do have a habit of reviving a select few of my old threads after a year or so, but it's usually because I'm giving an update on a review I did.

For example I just revived a Bersa thread to give a "1 year update and range report".

VHinch
September 1, 2008, 01:17 AM
ZeSpectre-
Completely different, as you are actually contributing to the original thread.

R.W.Dale
September 1, 2008, 02:34 AM
what happens when a person digs up an old thread about old threads.............

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372190

hso
September 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
So much of what is said has already been said (and usually better), but every now and then some new contribution can be added to a topic.

What is confusing is the ones that are revived and nothing of value is added.

Tribal
September 1, 2008, 12:40 PM
Just speaking for myself, but I actually get a kick out of threads that get resurrected after a few years with a relevant addition. Sometimes classic threads can even stand a "bump" to let newer members have a chance to enjoy them. Count me as a vote (as if we vote here) for allowing thread necromancy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thread Necromancy (Again)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!