Just picked up some 7.62x54 and found a split neck...

PDA

Auburn1992
September 1, 2008, 01:08 AM
Well I picked up some ammo for my Mosin yesterday. It was expensive for some cheap stuff but I needed it for the range trip tomorrow; and besides that there was absolutely NO other 7.62x54 at the gunshow! It was like $15 for 50 rounds, so I got 100 of them for the range. Next time I guess I'll order online.

While I was handling the bag, I heard loose powder sifting inside it. I opened the bag up and removed the powder, found the bullet, and the case. As I was looking I noticed that the case had a split neck on it.

What would be the dangers of shooting a cartridge with a split neck?

Reccomend any good websites for x54 ammo?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up some 7.62x54 and found a split neck..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
marktx
September 1, 2008, 01:15 AM
I had a similar problem, wouldn't shoot it myself as I can imagine the crack could lead to a full on case rupture.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=363735

Funderb
September 1, 2008, 01:24 AM
i've had a full case rupture, since it headspaces on the rim everything was okay.

I wouldn't shoot a round with a split neck for fear of missing powder/squib fire.

jws527
September 1, 2008, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't be comfortable shooting a cartridge with a split neck, either. I found a few in a can of Bulgarian heavy ball I bought last month, but not many - maybe 4 or 5 out of a case of 250. Just check them as you're loading them.

I have to imagine that actually firing it would probably rupture the entire case, which is at least going to make a mess inside the chamber.

Dents, on the other hand - never a problem.

RichardInFlorida
September 1, 2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Auburn, War Eagle!

You mentioned picking up some ammo. I've picked up some tins from Aim Surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/7_62x54R.html) in the past and found their service and shipping times to be very good.

Right now they have spam cans of 70's Polish surplus (147 gr/silver tip) at $79.95/440 rounds and current manufacture Prvi (brass case/boxer/non-corrosive) at $11.95/20 (reduced prices if you buy in bulk).

They also have some Bulgarian stuff from the 40's and 50's pretty cheap, but I don't know how many neck splits you might find in that lot.

Jeff F
September 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
Split necks are no big deal. I reload for my .303's until either a split case neck or a case head separation occurs then I chuck the brass into the recycle bucket. I would not purposely shoot ammo that I knew had split necks.

SimpleIsGood229
September 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
www.ammunitiontogo.com is a good place to start.

Rmac58
September 1, 2008, 08:04 PM
You may want to try gun-deals.com

Deer Hunter
September 1, 2008, 08:28 PM
Watch Bulgarian ammo. 1 out of 10 packages seem to be in bad shape. 5 or more split necks.

I just pull the bullets and dump the powder.

JTW Jr.
September 2, 2008, 01:59 AM
one of those chances you take with some of the old milsurp stuff.
This one happened today , 8mm Turkish I believe.
Spooked the daylights out me , I still got my hit on the steel at 848 yards though. :)
This happened after I had fired 150 rounds thru my 38 Turk , I fired about 3 more and called it a day , dang that thing needs a recoil pad.

http://members.cox.net/subguns-lv/8mm%20case%20rupture.jpg

Mk VII
September 2, 2008, 08:57 AM
if it says * 11 54 then I've had the same experience. Yugoslavian stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up some 7.62x54 and found a split neck..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!