Throw the book...the laptop at them!

PDA

Oleg Volk
September 1, 2008, 12:26 PM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/25413-2/orly5904.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Throw the book...the laptop at them!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owens
September 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
Good one Oleg! Not only does it make a point, it gives me a chuckle.

springmom
September 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
Me too. I'm too old to lolspeak much, but that's good.

The only thing, and this is probably picky, but....why is she all hunched up in herself? Body language wise, that says "vulnerable, scared, hiding". Now, mind you, if someone is committing mass murder around me I too will very look vulnerable, scared, and will be hiding :neener: but, for a poster, maybe a stance and an expression that looks a little bit more assertive?

Just my highly overinflated $.02.

Springmom

hso
September 1, 2008, 12:47 PM
It might be my perspective, but I'd think a model that was obviously old enough to have a carry permit would be a better choice.

I'd like to see one with an older returning student with a CCW being denied their right to self defense by the university addressed.

Service member in LBE or LE in uniform and weapon contrasted with same person as student with books. "I already passed a test to get my permit and now you expect me to throw books and computers at a murdering lunatic?!?"

If the state trusts them to carry, why can't the university?

Etc.

blackcash88
September 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
It might be my perspective, but I'd think a model that was obviously old enough to have a carry permit would be a better choice.

And it's a huge problem that the vast majority of students are under 21 and can't even obtain a hand gun in many places.

Oh, and give her something better than a POS Kel-Tec. :rolleyes:

Picard
September 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
I like it. Very good message. I would move the "O Rly" text to the right a bit, to center the message in the white space. It would make it so that she's pointing her gun at the message and it would look nicer.

ultramag44
September 1, 2008, 04:34 PM
[quote

Aaryq
September 1, 2008, 04:43 PM
Nice work, but I agree with some of the other posters. I thought it was great but an older model and something implying she had a concealed weapons permit or her University wouldn't let her carry on campus.

Oh, and Mr. Volk...I love your use of lolspeak. Srrsly. When I se teh owner of THR use lolspeak, it makes me ROTFLOL and fills me with great joy...no sarcasm implied or intended.

blackcash88
September 1, 2008, 04:44 PM
I LOL'd

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 1, 2008, 04:48 PM
Being a "newby" here, I don't catch much of what you are saying (lolspeak).

As for the original post, I agree. I also agree with the statements so far.

3KillerBs
September 1, 2008, 09:46 PM
That's a great one. Should appeal tremendously to the student age groups.

Travis McGee
September 1, 2008, 10:07 PM
I think it's perfect. She could be 17 or 24, so age is not an issue so far as I can see.

Oana
September 2, 2008, 02:52 AM
Me likez. Srsly. :cool:

I'm in college, and I don't think she looks too young at all. The only thing is, I agree with springmom - she should probably be a little more assertive, standing up straighter. And maybe move the "O RLY?" more to the right.

I very much like this one!

Geronimo45
September 2, 2008, 03:49 AM
Might be your perspective. I'd lay good odds she's in her 20s, m'self. 23 or higher.
Nice job.

jakemccoy
September 2, 2008, 03:51 AM
I like it overall.

Is "O RLY" regional slang? I don't get it.

Geronimo45
September 2, 2008, 04:01 AM
O RLY means "Oh really?" Might be text-speak, some lolcats stuff... bit outside my operating radius. It is of the internet, though, AFAIK.

romma
September 2, 2008, 08:16 AM
Excellent, no cocky expresion, just a casual stance and ready for business...

tinygnat219
September 2, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'd lose the text speak. Otherwise, it's good.

Vern Humphrey
September 2, 2008, 09:51 AM
How about one on the professors who are dumb enough to bring a laptop to a gunfight?:D

TallPine
September 2, 2008, 11:15 AM
I like it! :)

GEM
September 2, 2008, 11:21 AM
I would throw at laptop at O'Reilly. Grownups won't get the slang.

When we talked about this at work, the question was : Would you save your work before you threw the laptop?

I can see the excuse now. Dear Dr. M - I didn't save my essay because I had to throw my laptop at the madman.

blackcash88
September 2, 2008, 11:32 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/AlbertD/o-rly001jpg_thumb.jpg

Mrs. Armoredman
September 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
I like it. It's direct and to the point. It makes you stop and think.

Drgong
September 2, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well really, if college students demand the right to carry, they will get the right to carry, its one of those higher learning things...

Justin
September 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
Perhaps try one version with the LOL speak, and one without. That way, whoever opts to use the poster can pick the one most suited to their needs.

myrockfight
September 2, 2008, 01:11 PM
Perhaps try one version with the LOL speak, and one without. That way, whoever opts to use the poster can pick the one most suited to their needs.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I know that you are targeting the younger audience with the "O RLY".

You guys need to lay off! You guys don't need convincing to promote concealed carry for campuses laws! LOL! :D

jakemccoy
September 2, 2008, 02:22 PM
I didn't see anybody here who was laying it on him. I'm 34, and I didn't know what "O RLY" meant before this thread. I doubt any of my friends would know either. That's useful information for the original poster. I'd think that the original poster would want to target more people than the 21 to 29 year old texters and bloggers. Or maybe not, but at least the original poster should know that the average person of my age is not going to take the time to figure out a poster message that initially appears to be a different language.

Nolo
September 2, 2008, 02:49 PM
Almost all college students know what "O RLY?" means.
And it makes us laugh.
Keep it.
(Okay, why does this thread say there's two pages, but there really isn't?)
My personal opinion...
I think the text is fine.
But I think that you should change models.
Well, maybe not. But I would certainly if she can't manage a huge "one eyebrow up, extremely ridiculous look of disbelief" face.
If she can, then I'd reshoot it so that she is making that face.
If she can't, then keep this (either way, keep it, it's a fine image) and shoot a new version with someone who can do that face.
I find it really ironic that you have one poster where people are saying it's not understandable, and another where people think it has too much impact.

bigfatdave
September 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
Nice for the college crowd.
Does this one have a destination? Printing up a bunch postcard-size and letting campus carry supporters do what they like with them comes to mind.
The more I look at it, the more I agree with springmom regarding the body language. Minor, but every bit counts when addressing neutrals.

If you enjoyed reading about "Throw the book...the laptop at them!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!