Asked if I had a gun on me.

PDA

Hot brass
September 1, 2008, 01:35 PM
Went furniture shopping with the wife and a salesman asked about my fannypack. He asked if there was a gun in there? I opened the first compartment and said wallet, checkbook, etc. Why? He said lots of LEO come in and have fannypacks, and he asked one and the LEO said yes I have a gun in here. Then the wife said, he asked because you look like you are a cop. When we go into places you are looking around. I said I like to know who is around me, and where they are. She said just like a cop.

If you enjoyed reading about "Asked if I had a gun on me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
springmom
September 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
That's interesting. I have never had anybody ask about my belt pouch. Of course, there are advantages to being a mid-fifties, um, statuesque, female...maybe that's why.

Doesn't sound like he had a problem with it if you did, but it was an odd question. Might be the time for a smile and a gentle "concealed means concealed."

Springmom

Bill2e
September 1, 2008, 01:45 PM
So where was the gun....:)

csmkersh
September 1, 2008, 01:47 PM
In the second compartment of the fanny pack.

Hot brass
September 1, 2008, 01:48 PM
The fannypack has three compartments, gun was in the rear compartment.

Eric F
September 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
fannypack in todays world=90% cancealed gun. They are pretty much a give away any more.

Treo
September 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but my response would be " What business is it of yours? "

VPLthrneck
September 1, 2008, 02:37 PM
After showing him the wallet and checkbook, you should have asked to see his selection of couches that have built-in holsters, kitchen tables that have gun mounts under them, or an office desk that has a shotgun swivel under it. :)

zxcvbob
September 1, 2008, 02:39 PM
" What business is it of yours? "

"What business is it of yours, Friendo?", and give him a spooky look on the Friendo part. :D

ZeSpectre
September 1, 2008, 02:41 PM
I think I would have said "is this how you usually start a conversation?"

rainbowbob
September 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'm astonished that anyone would open and dispaly the contents of a fanny pack for a curious furniture salesman.

My response would have been something like. "I beg your pardon?"

If he persisted I would have asked to speak to his manager.

There is friendly chit-chat...and then there is intolerable nosiness. This was the latter.

pakmcc
September 1, 2008, 02:46 PM
Here in texas, the only one that can ask that question is an on duty police man.
NOT a judge, not your employer, or anyone else.
I worked for academy for three years, and yes, i was the one behine the gun counter. I was always asked if i was carring my the other workers, and I told them that if I tell you, I'll have to kill you. :-)
My boss knew that I had a 01FFL, and knew that I had a bunch of guns at home and that I sold out of my house. But he never asked me if i was carrying.(It was against store policy).
ok, so I was the same age as his father!!
Pat

Zedo
September 1, 2008, 02:47 PM
"No" --

Because it's none of their business.

"Pardon me miss, do you have tampons in your purse?"

gastong30
September 1, 2008, 02:48 PM
HotBrass: It's good to have a plausable story, to rebuff peoples rudeness.

ASM826
September 1, 2008, 02:51 PM
http://img136.exs.cx/img136/1867/mmmwwwfriendly1fk.jpg

No guns here. Nope. Not me. Just supporting the Moms.

Rokyudai
September 1, 2008, 02:52 PM
So, lots of LEO's come to this furniture store wearing fanny packs with guns in them which prompts the furniture guy to make small talk with other folks wearing a fanny pack. Meh, he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but why worry about showing him what's in your fanny pack?

I don't think I have typed 'fanny pack' so many times in one sitting. Fanny pack.

Rok

BillyBothHands
September 1, 2008, 03:03 PM
My response would have been 'No I'm just happy to see you' rofl

JackBurtonJr
September 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
I have always found that answering with "Now, why in the world would you ask that personal of a question" said with a big smile on my face pretty much shuts down the other person no matter the question and regardless if they are strangers or even my mother.

myrockfight
September 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
Do you think robbers who are willing to kill would outright shoot someone who wore a fanny pack? I always wondered that. Besides, I couldn't deal with the fashion faux-paux it is. So I just carry IWB.

Anywho. This reminds of the time I was in a gunshop and a clerk asked me if I was in the FBI? I quizically answered, "No," with a slight grin on my face. I should have asked him why he thought that. The could only reason that I was in really good shape at the time, had a buzzcut, and was looking at .45s - that was my best uneducated guess. It was really weird though.

Rokyudai
September 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
Anywho. This reminds of the time I was in a gunshop and a clerk asked me if I was in the FBI? I quizically answered, "No," with a slight grin on my face.

You should have said, "Uh, der! I'm in a gunshop!" :neener:

BillyBothHands
September 1, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think people in all kinds of retail get bored sometimes and look for interesting conversation. On the weekends i'm usually in a Dickies shirt and bass pro cap. Everywhere i go people always ask if I've been hunting. In fact 2 different people asked that saturday.

Schmidlin
September 1, 2008, 03:20 PM
do that many guys wear fanny packs anymore? My father in law wears one just so he doesn't forget his pills camera keys and glasses, and STILL forgets it all.

rainbowbob
September 1, 2008, 03:27 PM
"Now, why in the world would you ask that personal of a question" said with a big smile...

That pretty much covers just about any inappropriate question including:

"Are you carrying a gun?"

"Have you put on some weight?"

"How much money do you make?"

"Are you pregnant? And can I feel your belly?"

"How much did you pay for your house?"

"Is that your nose? Or are you eating a cucumber?"

Dookie
September 1, 2008, 03:28 PM
A grown man wearing a fanny pack? And you admitted it? :D

GRB
September 1, 2008, 03:46 PM
As with the rest of you, I agree this is an unsual questiuon to have asked of you by a store clerk. The fact that it is so unusual would have put me on alert. Had I been asked that question, I would have immediately went into a higher state of alertness than in which I normally would be while shopping in a furniture store. I am pretty sure I would have reacted, then acted, differently than the thread starter.

I would have been wondering: Is the store being robbed? Is the guy asking me this trying to let me know something bad is happening because he thinks I am a cop? Is the guy asking me about to try to rob me? Or is he just a curious person who asks strange questions?

I probably would have been scanning this guy for weapons, and for idiosyncrasies that might give away intent, scanning the rest of the store for unusual activity or lack of activity, readying to take other action as I might find appropriate. Such further appropriate action, dependent on my assessment of the situation could be: succinctly indicate to my wife to move aside toward cover or to get out of the store, readying to take cover myself, readying to draw; knocking the so called clerk on his other end.Of course that wouold be if there was a threat sufficient to warrant such.

Otherwise I might just ask this guy why on earth he would ask me such a question and why on earth I should feel compelled to answer. If he contnued in any way about asking me if I had a gun, I might ask him if he saw a bulge in my pants would he then ask me if it was a gun too? Something to throw him off a bit, and to get us off of the subject of guns and back to why I came into a furniture store in the first place - to buy furniture not to answer nosy questions.

BruceRDucer
September 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but my response would be " What business is it of yours? "--Treo

Yes, I might tend to answer that way also. This is a highly personal question.

It isn't of necessity anybody's business. In this case, if the question is friendly, it works out okay to just come right out and tell them.

On the other hand, some questions have a hostile intention. After all, this was a highly personal question, equivalent to asking:

"Do you have "Fruit of the Looms" on beneath your trousers?" :what:

If it's anybody's business what I have on my person, I'll tell them. If it isn't, I can deal with it other ways.

I can be funny, saying with a smile; "What is this, a test?" (grinny grin)
or...."Are you doing body cavity checks too?"

Or I can be defensive and say:

"Perhaps my business isn't welcome here?" ...accompanied by an inquiring look.

Anywho. This reminds of the time I was in a gunshop and a clerk asked me if I was in the FBI? I quizically answered, "No," with a slight grin on my face. I should have asked him why he thought that. The could only reason that I was in really good shape at the time, had a buzzcut, and was looking at .45s - that was my best uneducated guess. It was really weird though.--My Rock Fight

Gee, maybe I should try wearing my FBI SWAT TEAM bill cap around more. It was in a thrift store when I found it!

/

Seancass
September 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
I honestly didn't know any adult males still owned, let alone wore, a fanny pack before i started frequenting this site. Maybe it's just because i'm not looking for them.

Ed DCB
September 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
"If he contnued in any way about asking me if I had a gun, I might ask him if he saw a bulge in my pants would he then ask me if it was a gun too?"

Yes, of course!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/th_WaltherPPK.jpg (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/WaltherPPK.jpg)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/th_stealth4.gif (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/stealth4.gif)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/th_Glock262.jpg (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/Glock262.jpg)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/th_concealedcarry.jpg (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/concealedcarry.jpg)

The Bushmaster
My 64 year old younger brother does. Of course we both don't really care what other people think of us. No I carry IWB because I don't like fanny packs...

Loosedhorse
getting asked this question (by friends, since they all know I like to shoot recreationally and I collect guns).

My standard responses are:

(If I'm feeling cute): "Why? Do I need one here?":neener:

(Most other occasions):"No." ;)(Inapprorpriate question asks for an untrue response--and my license says "concealed carry," so I feel I'm legally obligated to keep it a secret.)

(If asked by law-enforcement during car-stop or any other situation, while my hands are motionless and in plain sight):eek:: "Officer, I have a legal carry permit, and I am carrying today. Tell me what to do next."

The Bushmaster
September 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
I still like the "No. It's a colostomy bag. It's still warm. Ya wanna feel it?":D

zxcvbob
September 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
I still like the "No. It's a colonostopy bag. It's still warm. Ya wanna feel it?"

The word is "colostomy". HTH ;)

The Bushmaster
September 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks...Came within a hair's breath of having to wear one and I still can't spell it. Scared the snot out of me though...

csmkersh
September 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
Here in texas, the only one that can ask that question is an on duty police man.

That is so wrong.

411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a
license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license
holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that
the license holder display identification, the license holder shall
display both the license holder's driver's license or
identification certificate issued by the department and the license
holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display
the license and identification as required by this subsection is
subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by
Section 411.187.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or
refuses to display the license and identification as required by
Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license
suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this
subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1,
1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, 9.17(a), eff.
Sept. 1, 1999.

Pat-inCO
September 1, 2008, 04:47 PM
I like "Who ME!?" pause and then say "Now why in heaven's name would anyone ask a question like that."

springmom
September 1, 2008, 04:49 PM
Funny coincidence. After my post earlier in this thread, I went off to HEB for groceries. The young man who carried them out for me was not the sharpest tool in the shed. I opened my trunk and he started loading groceries. Then he stopped.

"There's a target back here." (It was unused, a leftover from a previous trip to Carter's Country.)

Silence. Then, "Yup."

Silence, as he tries to think what this means. "Well, I hope nobody was holding it...." (not noticing the unused part....)

STEELY silence, accompanied by steely mom look. "I target shoot."

"Oh." More thinking, but at least he's loading my groceries now. Then, in the middle of the Woodlands HEB parking lot, with a voice that probably could have been heard at the nearby mall, he brightens up and says "I don't shoot pistols much. Not much good. But give me a rifle and I'm REAL GOOD!!!" I'm thinking, Lord, how long before SWAT gets here. He continues "I'm so good I shot a squirrel once. When I was just trying to scare it. I'm so good I hit it anyway!!!!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank God, the groceries were in the trunk. I waved goodbye and ducked into the car.

There's a lot of cluelessness going around these days.

Springmom

bobbarker
September 1, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wow...I sincerely hope I wasn't that stupid back when I was a bag boy... :D Kids these days....

Schmidlin
September 1, 2008, 05:29 PM
im sure he was just confused seeing a real target out side of the computer gaming world.....his reality where probably colliding as you stood there.

"so they are real........"

Artiz
September 1, 2008, 05:47 PM
When we go into places you are looking around. I said I like to know who is around me, and where they are. She said just like a cop.
Same thing for me, when i'm shopping I know where is everybody, anytime, I do that without noticing. But people kind of ask themself what I am doing, with a strange looking face when they see me looking around, employes too, lol.

g.willikers
September 1, 2008, 05:55 PM
Gun? In my fanny pack? No, it's for my fanny.

MIL-DOT
September 1, 2008, 08:00 PM
"No, I'm just happy to see you !! "

Hot brass
September 1, 2008, 08:11 PM
I did not bother me that he asked. I thought that it was telling that he stated "LEOs" come into the store wearing fannypacks and have told him that a gun was in the FP. I had on a t-shirt that was tucked inside of my britches. Usually the t-shirt is out and over the t-shirt. I was trying not to embarrass the wife.:rolleyes:

dalepres
September 1, 2008, 08:34 PM
The sales guy was probably just a wannabe gun nut who wished he could afford a gun and had his concealed permit. He probably just wanted to talk about guns and concealed guns.

If he had a permit, he would probably have known never to ask the question. If he was a High Road member, he certainly would have known better.

dalepres
September 1, 2008, 08:38 PM
(If asked by law-enforcement during car-stop or any other situation, while my hands are motionless and in plain sight): "Officer, I have a legal carry permit, and I am carrying today. Tell me what to do next."

Ok, we just had this thread, and yes, if asked by a policeman be sure to tell him the truth but why add "Tell me what to do next"? I don't get it. Do you think he won't tell you what to do if he wants to? Do you think you should imply to him that there is something to do other than to tell you to have a nice day? If I were a cop, and if someone told me that when I simply asked if he had a weapon, I'd get very suspicious that something was wrong.

tinygnat219
September 2, 2008, 09:17 AM
Witty response: Why are you looking at my crotch?

mike101
September 2, 2008, 10:41 AM
"Just say NO". ;)

kentucky_Dave
September 2, 2008, 11:12 AM
I still like the "No. It's a colostomy bag. It's still warm. Ya wanna feel it?"

Thanks a lot Bushmaster... now I have to clean coffee from my keyboard / monitor.

woodybrighton
September 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
obligatory brit laughing fanny pack bwhahahahahha:D

pbearperry
September 2, 2008, 11:28 AM
I wear a fanny pack during the summer.Putting a lot of stuff in my shorts with the drawstring thingy won't stay up with heavy stuff in the pockets.And it's an ordinary fanny pack that looke like a camera or whatever may be inside.

Drgong
September 2, 2008, 11:29 AM
my repose would of be eh??

Caliban
September 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
i think the guy is just one of those people who is scared/awed by guns, and somehow feels "safer" if he "knows" he's in the presence of one. which is stupid, really. he's not accomplishing anything by asking if you have a gun. if you walked in there to rob the store or kill someone, you're not going to answer yes even if you do have a gun; and if you have a legit ccw permit, he should be thrilled that someone with a gun is in the store in case it DOES get robbed or shot up. it all goes back to the way people are taught nowadays that it is dangerous simply to be in the same room as a gun.

moooose102
September 2, 2008, 11:56 AM
just tell him it's none of his buisness. because, unless the store is being robbed, it really isnt!

Catherine
September 2, 2008, 12:25 PM
I can't imagine anyone asking someone if their fanny pack had a gun in it or not. Most likely, I would say that it was none of their business. I used fanny packs for years in NO ccw states and when I traveled in many states back east. I had NO gun in it - I obeyed the stupid/wrong 'laws'. UGH. I had the fanny pack on me because I wanted to be safer if I was alone, had a purse or briefcase in my hand but my wallet, checkbook, chap stick, comb, hankie and spare eyeglasses were in the fanny pack. The KEYS were in my hand and/or in my pocket or fanny pack if I needed my hands to be free. I walked to and from my vehicle with my KEYS in my hand - the pointy end out. If someone tried to rob me or I had to fly on an airplane... I had my IMPORTANT/GOOD stuff on me and the other purse and/or briefcase had my other STUFF needed for the trip. I usually omit a purse and use a briefcase. Sometimes I put a small purse INSIDE of the briefcase if I will need one for a 'dress up event'. Leave the briefcase at the hotel or visiting home and use the evening purse or smaller purse for the non business event.

I do LIKE the idea of a fanny pack and having your gun on you - with you. I prefer an open carry HOLSTER style but if you live in a no OC STATE... it is a great idea to me especially for some of us.

I open carry.

Sometimes I carry in a fanny pack/use it as a purse - over the shoulder (NOT a great idea to many as those gun purses.) or as a 'fanny pack - traditional carry' in the woods along with carrying another gun on me or a rifle which I do not carry THAT often. We usually have a rifle or two along with our other guns when we travel though. MT law is different for a purse too.

My husband carries concealed and open. I would like to get him a 'fanny pack' even though he has ALL kinds of holsters and rifle slings. He has one but it is more of a grab/go bag set up deal. I do not know if he would even use one anymore. I think that in some cases especially for travel for women and men... it makes sense.

Spring Mom, I have had grocery bag boys/girls say that to me about targets when I lived back east. In one car - I had a real trunk. In the truck - I had an extended cab. I could not CCW or have a loaded gun back in that 'state' but it could be apart - you know what I mean. I used to keep ALL of my targets from my indoor and outdoor ranges too. I used to write the dates on them, how many feet away I shot or my distance, what gun I used, what ammunition I used, etc. I had so many targets!!! I was proud of my targets! I used my perp paper targets aka silhouette ones more back east. When my friends came to visit I showed them my targets and progress. My late husband used to get a kick out of it too. Proud of me even though I am NO expert or great FAR away shooter aka rifleman.

Take care,

Catherine

OOOXOOO
September 2, 2008, 12:31 PM
Fanny Pack+Man=Gun

retgarr
September 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
Just tell 'em that's where you keep all your dungeons and dragons gear in case a game breaks out. Then the person will quickly drop the subject. Unless they are a nerd (sorry D&D players) at which point you consider fleeing to avoid ensuing conversation.

scurtis_34471
September 2, 2008, 12:56 PM
I think fanny packs are fine if you are involved in an activity where fanny packs are commonplace. Jogging and biking come to mind. Tourists in beach towns use them a lot too.

Most of the people who associate fanny packs with guns are gunnies or cops. The general public is pretty clueless.

I am still not a fan of fanny packs because they CAN raise the question (as the OP found out) and because gun access can be awkward and slow compared with IWB carry.

Arrogant Bastard
September 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
obligatory brit laughing fanny pack bwhahahahahha

My ex-wife told a pair of mutual friends (who are from Britain) that I got my CHL. Next time i saw her, she asked me about it, how I carry, etc. I told her a lot of people carry in a fanny. :evil:

She replied, "How horribly uncomfortable that must be."

bdickens
September 2, 2008, 01:29 PM
"Nunya."

"Nunya?"

"Nunya damn business!"

Arrogant Bastard
September 2, 2008, 01:51 PM
Just tell 'em that's where you keep all your dungeons and dragons gear in case a game breaks out. Then the person will quickly drop the subject. Unless they are a nerd (sorry D&D players) at which point you consider fleeing to avoid ensuing conversation.

I am a nerd, and I support this post.

Soybomb
September 2, 2008, 02:04 PM
This thread has a bunch of really snide responses and there is a time for them, but also consider giving an honest answer. Are you going to see this guy again? We need as many pro-carry people as we can get, never underestimate the value of letting the public know that normal people carry concealed weapons. It isn't something just gun nuts do, its something the average guy and his wife out buying furniture do too. Consider saying "yeah I do. You have one to protect you and your family when you're out too don't you? You can't be too safe!"

thebucket
September 2, 2008, 03:46 PM

Actually, I keep my dice in a little pouch that can clip to my backpack or to my belt. :p The pouch would also be the perfect size to carry a Bersa .380 or PPK. But which is in there? You never know....

The Bushmaster
September 2, 2008, 03:58 PM
Concealed is concealed. No matter what you may think of my "snide response". It's a fact. None of their business...

230RN
September 2, 2008, 04:02 PM
Maybe he figured, correctly, that it was a CCW technique, was just curious about concealed carry in general, and didn't know how else to approach the question.

"Are you curious about concealed carry?" might have worked, without going into the actual pack or rebuffing him.

Just my take on it.

But, then again, I'm sorta known as "Johnny Concealedcarryseed."

Blues Brother
September 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
Tell them that is where you keep your Amway membership applications and thank him for the opportunity to tell him the good news about the Amway corp.

:D

TallPine
September 2, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think I would have said "is this how you usually start a conversation?"

Good one!

Works best if you are wearing a black mask. ;)

Halo
September 2, 2008, 05:40 PM
You could have just told him you're from Germany. European tourists still sport "the pack" with regularity. Bonus points if you wear a Baywatch shirt.

myrockfight
September 2, 2008, 05:42 PM
Tell them that is where you keep your Amway membership applications and thank him for the opportunity to tell him the good news about the Amway corp.

LOL. That is the best response on here. You got a good laugh out of me on that one, BluesBrother!

mgregg85
September 2, 2008, 05:51 PM
I would think the fanny pack would bring more hysterical laughter than questions about guns.

Treo
September 2, 2008, 06:01 PM
Tell them that is where you keep your Amway membership applications and thank him for the opportunity to tell him the good news about the Amway corp

He'll never buy it, they train the Amway ( now Quickstar) people never to say Amway until they have you at a meeting

FLA2760
September 2, 2008, 06:21 PM
No, the pack contains my antipsychotic meds. I need to carry them because strangers asking me dumb questions may trigger an episode.

rondog
September 2, 2008, 06:23 PM
Just tell him "nah, the gun is holstered on my hip, the fanny pack is for all my medications that keep me balanced".

I went into a bar in Texas once, with a Buck knife on my belt. The guy at the door told me I had to put the knife back in my car, so I did. As I walked by him again, and he thanked me, I said "no problem, but I'm keeping the gun", and kept on walking. He sure had a bewildered look on his face. No, I didn't have a gun on me, but I couldn't resist.

Travis McGee
September 2, 2008, 06:58 PM
Tell him it's your colostomy bag, and burst into tears at his rudeness.

eclarsen
September 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
I think the Brits have some great slang. Fanny packs and what you put in them, just keep them in stitches.

With respect to this thread--
Folks in Chicago were trying to get lots of people to wear "tummy" packs to an outdoor gathering. Just trying to make the cops crazy with a ton of folks walking around, potentially with concealed weapons.

Don't recall what came of it.

KBintheSLC
September 2, 2008, 07:40 PM
Geez, you are much nicer than I am in general. You even opened it and showed him the contents of your fanny pack? I most likely would have told the guy to mind his biznass.

Lashlarue
September 2, 2008, 07:46 PM
I actually got patted down once, there had been a robbery and the security guard thought he was doing his job, since he patted down the customer in front of me, I simply palmed my NAA mini and he never even saw it.Once he cleared me, I slipped it back into my pocket, and went about my business.BTW it was my bank located in a supermarket.When I regularly carried my P-11, I always thought someone would spot it, but they never ...

jonmerritt
September 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
Hey, why don't you just ask how many inches my (edited) is.

Catherine
September 2, 2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:

Just tell him "nah, the gun is holstered on my hip, the fanny pack is for all my medications that keep me balanced".

I went into a bar in Texas once, with a Buck knife on my belt. The guy at the door told me I had to put the knife back in my car, so I did. As I walked by him again, and he thanked me, I said "no problem, but I'm keeping the gun", and kept on walking. He sure had a bewildered look on his face. No, I didn't have a gun on me, but I couldn't resist.

~~~~~

Rondog,

That was VERY good and funny. I almost gagged on my coffee from laughing so hard!

Catherine

Guns and more
September 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
Don't be silly. Anyone can ask. You don't have to answer.

touro1979
September 3, 2008, 12:07 AM
I often carry my xd-9 in a fannie pack. Frankly, I dont give a crap if people think I am carrying a gun so long as I am concealing it and am compliance with NY state law. If I could open carry legally without harrassment I would but we all know that will never happen in NY state. I dont put the pack around my waist though, I put it over my neck and under my arm like a messenger bag. This keeps it more secure and closer to my hand in case I need to get it out in in a pinch. It is really a great way to carry a large frame handgun legally if you live in an no open carry state. So people either think I am a fruit or I am carrying a gun, either way I dont care.:)

Don't forget to still put your pistol in a holster when you carry in a fanny pack. Youn don't want your keys causing a negligent discharge in the checkout lane at wallly world.

Halo
September 3, 2008, 12:48 AM
I think the Brits have some great slang. Fanny packs and what you put in them, just keep them in stitches.

Aye, and the slang works the other way too. I remember a British exchange student in my organic chemistry lab talking about her roommate having to "knock her up" that morning. Amusement and befuddlement ensued. Two peoples divided by a common language....

10 Ring Tao
September 3, 2008, 01:17 AM
Lol, a fanny pack on anyone except a middle aged, overweight, disney world tourist SCREAMS gun.

B yond
September 3, 2008, 01:40 AM
Them: Do you have a gun?

Me: Don't you?

Steve Raacke
September 3, 2008, 04:17 AM
I wore a fanny pack to carry my pistol for a while. Then I got so fat that I couldn't buckle the thing. I've lost some weight but now I mostly open carry. I don't even remember where I put the fanny pack.

Loosedhorse
September 3, 2008, 11:08 AM
Regarding "What would you like me to do now?" in talking to LEOs asking whether I'm carrying:

I live in a gun-unfriendly state (I remember when I signed up for a class at Thunder Ranch, and the lady on the phone asked me to send a letter from a judge as character reference, I said, "Can't I just send you a copy of my CCW license?" After a pause, she said: "Sure. I've just never seen one from your state.") and there is a lot of "gun=cop or bad guy" mentality here. You hear (mythical?) stories of admitting you're carrying to a municipal LEO followed by the cry "GUN!" then getting dragged from the car, hood-slammed, handcuffed, and THEN we'll have a conversation.

My own experience has been that (the one time a Statie asked if I was armed) he was cautious and courteous--ended up asking me advice about a back-up gun.

Still, I think cops do a tough job (I'VE NEVER wanted to do a late-night vehicle stop!) and if I can make their job easier, and make them AND ME safer by turning on the cabin light, keeping my hands in view, and demonstrating with my "What do you want me to do now?" that I understand that--out on the street--they're in charge and I will follow directions (whether or not I'm carrying at the time), well, doesn't that make everything easier? (I'm sure it's gotten me out of a couple of tickets, too!)

I won't volunteer I'm carrying, until the LEO asks, or if he/she says, "I need you to step out of the car"--my state does not require you to inform LEOs unless asked.

Is my response more "gettable" now? 'Preciate the opportunity to clarify. :)

Sean Dempsey
September 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
I would have said "No" and left it at that. Any other response is a confirmation that you do have a gun. Clever answers are funny, but are all essentially a "yes".

secamp32
September 3, 2008, 02:13 PM
When people ask me (mostly my liberal, anti-gun family) I respond "I need one to protect myself from you eeevil liberals"

I was in Florida last week and saw a 2 guys with fanny packs. One was almost definitely a gun.

ilbob
September 3, 2008, 02:16 PM
You can either:

- tell him the truth
- tell him it is none of his business
- ask him why he cares one way or the other

skywarp_
September 3, 2008, 05:00 PM
Like ive said a million times here.

It's not just gunnies that know fanny pack = gun

jahwarrior
September 3, 2008, 05:16 PM
the one time i wore a fanny/gunny pack, someone asked me the same thing. i neer wore one again. i only conceal when i have to, but when i do, i doesn't help when everyone knows what's being concealed.

and when anyone ever asks me if i have a gun, i ask them if they're wearing lacey underwear. it's none of their business.

anythingshiny
September 3, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have carried a bag (not a fanny pack) for the last 20 years. Being the uber-outdoor dad, I have either carried a mountainsmith bag or more recently the maxpedition stuff slung over a shoulder. I've never had anyone ask or even appear to notice or care about it. Its not the fastest draw but its always with me.

In cooler weather, sure an IWB/OWB and a hoodie or light coat is perfect, but in the heat with shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt..hiding a HK is difficult. I could carry a smaller BUG..but I like my .45

I would prob notice a fanny pack..but only because "we" look for them. I don't really think the general populace or the BG's for that matter are really paying attention.

lucky_fool
September 3, 2008, 06:00 PM
"Is there a gun in there?"

"Why, are you planning on robbing me? I knew your prices were high but I thought 'highway robbery' was a joke."

SDG
September 3, 2008, 11:13 PM
I went to a dinner theater a couple of weeks ago with my wife for our anniversary. Before we went, I decided to tuck in my shirt - but I don't have a tuckable holster. I got a little creative though and when I checked with my wife, she said that it was not noticable.

When we got to the theater, we were greeted by an older lady who, when she found out what we were there for, looked directly at me and said, "Are ya packin'?" I said, "What?" and she repeated, "Are ya packin'?" I was totally caught off guard since I thought that I was well covered and I figured that honesty would probably be the best policy and looked directly at her and said, "Yes." And that was the end of it. It was a murder mystery dinner and I guess that was just part of the program. She actually had no idea that I was carrying and even when I told her, she didn't believe me.

And then, as part of the program, one of the female actors was pretending that she had some sort of romantic interest in me and kind of ran her hand from my chest to my waist. She came very close to finding the gun but I kind of turned away and her hands stayed an inch or two away from it. That would have been a rather interesting situation since there were several stage guns that were being used at the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Asked if I had a gun on me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!