Does the FFL do the ordering, or do you?


September 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
Just a quick question. I've never bought a non-muzzleloading gun off the internet and I am thinking about doing so soon. But i'm not really sure how FFL transfers work, exactly.

I found (via a gun store that will do a transfer for $15 plus tax, and this is the best price in my area. So do I contact the FFL and arrange a transfer, and then order the firearm myself and list the FFL as the shipping address, or do I have to ask the FFL to order for me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does the FFL do the ordering, or do you?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Aguila Blanca
September 1, 2008, 01:03 PM
It depends.

If the FFL does the ordering, it comes into his business as a business purchase, and you are "buying" the gun from him. If your state charges sales tax, you will pay sales tax on the full purchase amount -- but there won't be a "transfer fee" because he gets to mark up the price (unless you have a prior agreement otherwise).

If you buy the gun and pay the seller directly, specifying shipment to your FFL, then all you pay the FFL is the transfer fee.

I've done it both ways, depending on circumstances.

September 1, 2008, 01:06 PM
I ordered the gun myself, less chance for the FFL to claim he's done additional work for you, or to charge you his retail price as has been mentioned on this site before.

As far as the tax issue, since the seller is selling to him, he may very well charge you tax on the price you paid.

September 1, 2008, 01:11 PM
If the seller charges you the price you paid to someone out of state as Speedo says, cancel the sale. The FFL is trying to shaft you. You pay sales tax on what you purchase in state, which would be the FFL service.

IOW, if the FFL charges you $25 for the transfer, you pay sales tax on that 25. My FFL charges 25, plus sales tax on 25, plus 10 for the TICS check (required by the state of TN) totals up to around 37-38 bucks per transfer.

September 1, 2008, 01:14 PM
To me it is often a "new" versus "used" question.

If I have located a used firearm that I want, then I go ahead and purchase it from the seller, including sending S&H and whatever. Then I have the seller send it to my FFL, where he only charges me for the transfer.

If I see a new firearm that isn't in his display case, I will tell him that I am interested in getting one and let him look at his suppliers and find the best deal he can - then he tells me how much he can sell it to me for and gets it. I don't pay any 'transfer fee' because he has located the firearm from his distributor and placed his mark-up on it and I pay State and local taxes, but not utually S&H.

That;s just the way I do it.

September 1, 2008, 01:17 PM
I've always made the arrangements, all the ffl does is ship the seller his license.

September 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
To keep the FFL holder from doing more work than necessary:

When buying guns from distributors:

1) find the gun you like ( on CDNN, for instance ).

2) call your FFL holder and ask them if they've sent a copy of their license to CDNN lately. If yes, go to step 3. If no, ask them to please do so ( offer their mailing address/fax number/whatever so s/he doesn't have to look it up)

3) Call CDNN with your plasticard ready. Order your item(s) and have them send it to you, care of your FFL (you'll have to give them the FFL holders info, so they can find their license).

A call to your FFL to tell them you have a gun on the way keeps the confusion down.

When buying guns from individuals:

1) Get a USPMO/cashiers check/certified check/whatever and put it with a pre-addressed (to whomever you're buying the gun from) stamped envelope.

2) Take above items to your FFL holder and kindly ask them to place their license inside and mail it for you.

If your FFL holder charges you tax on a gun you've paid the distributor for directly (or traded for), they are cheating you (in most states).

September 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
hey stevekl are you getting it shipped to Green Top? cause i want to ship a gun there soon.

September 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
Actually I don't know what Green Top's transfer fee is. I can't find it on gunbroker. I'd call but they're probably closed today. Does anyone from Richmond happen to know?

September 1, 2008, 05:30 PM
You need to check with the FFL dealer first. You will need a copy of his FFL and his permission that he will receive the firearm and complete the transfer to you.

I suspect the only sales tax that the FFL is required to collect is on the money they receive. You are technically responsible to pay the sales tax on the gun itself unfortunately if purchased out of state. Notice I said technically.

September 1, 2008, 05:32 PM
In Tennessee...

You order the gun, then have your FFL send his info to the seller, pay the seller for the gun (no tax involved), pay the FFL the transfer fee...and wait form your gun to arrive, pay the FFL for the background check, then take your gun home.

I've only bought one gun off Gunbroker...but thats the way I did it.

September 1, 2008, 05:50 PM
I custom ordered a 50 BMG rifle from state arms, paid for it, and only paid for the transfer + tax from one dealer.
Also, I have purchased a new Cobb BA-50, a new DPMS LR-308, and a used 1919a4 off of gunbroker paid for each myself and only paid $25 each for the transfers to the same dealer. The 3 rifles were purchased at different times of course.

September 1, 2008, 06:03 PM
maybe if they get thier site up soon it will have the info but it's been unfinshed for months so don't hold ur breath.

September 1, 2008, 07:32 PM
I guess I would prefer to do the actual ordering and payment myself.

September 1, 2008, 08:54 PM

If you enjoyed reading about "Does the FFL do the ordering, or do you?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!