O/U and SBS prices

PDA

shevrock
September 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
Why are over unders and side by sides so expensive?

If you enjoyed reading about "O/U and SBS prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blitzen
September 1, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm no expert but I think that the good ones are very labor intensive to build.

oneounceload
September 1, 2008, 05:26 PM
Both require more hand-fitting, hand regulating of the barrel assemblies, and sideocks require more hand-intensive inletting and finishing....(and I'm not talking about the really cheap SXS or O/U)

The higher end guns usually have some really well-executed hand engraving as well as having a beautiful balance to them

shevrock
September 1, 2008, 05:36 PM
What's the price of the basic ones [that are still good. but no engraving and such]?

TexasRifleman
September 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
Academy has the Yildiz line of shotguns, both O/U and SxS.

I have a 20ga OU and I'm going to look at their SxS for my son.

They are budget but quite serviceable. I paid 399 for the OU 20 last year.

400-600 range from what I understand but I haven't seen the pricing on the SxS, its not on their website.

oneounceload
September 1, 2008, 10:30 PM
price is relative, IMO, to overall quality

a nice Spanish SXS, like AYA, are 3,500 to 5,000 for their 4/53 or their #2

Used older American guns like Fox, Lefever, Parker, et al can be had for anywhere from 500-5,000 and up

more modern SXS like SKB, Browning (Japan), Savage/Fox - 700-2500

I have no personal experience with the Russian or Turkish guns; that being said, I shoot regularly with folks who do own then - their general consensus is the same - for a little hunting, they should do OK - for serious clay or high volume shooting, they do not recommend them....again, just what my friends have said....I am sure others will have glowing reports on them

shevrock
September 1, 2008, 10:35 PM
So theirs nothing cheap that's good to see if i like the general idea of an OU/SXS. oh well. What would you then suggest for an introduction to clay and such?[OU/SXS wise]

ArmedBear
September 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
I have a Lefever SxS I picked up recently for under $250. It had a stock with a huge comb added, and a little crack in the wood. It's shaping up with some work.

That said, I'd forget SxS for your purposes.

If you really want a break-action gun without taking out a mortgage, I'd recommend an SKB field O/U. Strongly recommend. Probably the lowest-priced gun that's worth buying, quality and durability are up there with any good production guns. Balance and handling are excellent, as well.

By "clay and such" what do you mean?

Sporting Clays? Trap? Skeet?

To shoot American Trap, an 870 will work just fine, for a lot less money. They last forever, too.

3pairs12
September 1, 2008, 11:05 PM
Not to hi jack this thread but do you ever shoot in Redlands ArmedBear?

RandomMan
September 1, 2008, 11:28 PM
400-600 range from what I understand but I haven't seen the pricing on the SxS, its not on their website.

Yildiz SxS are just about $490. They are $486 or $489.99 I can't recall which off the top of my head. They used the same chokes as the O/U guns. I recommend the 20-gauge though, because the 12 only weighs about 5 pounds....

-Rob

Speedo66
September 2, 2008, 08:27 AM
"So there's nothing cheap to see if I like the general idea..."

There is, there are thousands of used Stevens, Savage, Springfield 311, 5100 SxSs(pretty much all the same guns) out there in the $200-300 range.

Inexpensive enough to see if you like them.

PJR
September 2, 2008, 10:14 AM
There is, there are thousands of used Stevens, Savage, Springfield 311, 5100 SxSs(pretty much all the same guns) out there in the $200-300 range.

Inexpensive enough to see if you like them.
Inexpensive enough to soon learn why good o/u are expensive. ;)

oneounceload
September 2, 2008, 02:37 PM
for quality used SxS or O/u - I would look for SKB, Browning, Beretta - there are others, but these have such a volume available that - 1) you'll find one, and 2) you'll be able to get it fixed/worked on

Franchi's, Fausti's, and some Rizzini's, along with Ruger might fit your budget as well

ArmedBear
September 2, 2008, 03:21 PM
Inexpensive enough to soon learn why good o/u are expensive.

Yup.

People think it's "gun snobbery", but it's not. If you have to ask how much the gun costs, I figure you can't afford a $500 lesson at the school of hard knocks. But people insist.

I'm on a budget -- soon to be a good deal tighter. That's why I WON'T buy an inexpensive O/U. I can't afford to throw away money like that.

Steve C
September 2, 2008, 03:40 PM
Why are over unders and side by sides so expensive?

2x the parts, 2X the barrels, 2x the chokes, 2x the lock work. More hand fitting.

ArmedBear
September 2, 2008, 03:49 PM
Note also that the 870 was designed to be inexpensive to mass produce, and the repeaters that have followed it, followed its example.

The old Remingtin Model 31, Winchester Model 12, and for that matter the Ithaca Model 37, weren't so cheap. Again, hand fitting.

shevrock
September 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
I just like the idea of a double barrel [O/U/SXS]. Also no offense i'm a Mossberg guy. But when i get a chance i'm gonna hit up the gun stores for a nice little DB. thanks guys [err girls. whatever].

If you enjoyed reading about "O/U and SBS prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!