purchasing a mossberg soon...questions

PDA

ElPrez231
September 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hey all, I'm about to venture into the shotgun world soon and will be purchasing a Mossberg 500 Marinecote w/pistol grip and adjustable stock. I am wondering if it is possible to mount a ghost ring sight on it because I do not believe that the 500 uses a picatinny rail system and have seen most ghost ring sights only available mounted on a picatinny rail. Does anyone know? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "purchasing a mossberg soon...questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mikkeeh
September 1, 2008, 05:21 PM
I believe Mossberg sells a GR sight kit. The rear sight should mount on the receiver if it is already drilled and tapped. I think the front sight will have to be silver soldered or brazed by a gunsmith...and in the end I think you would have to probably have the barel refinished. I checked into adding rifled sights to a MB barrel, and opted for buying a new barrel instead.
There may be another way....but thats the way I understand it.
Best of luck!

scythefwd
September 1, 2008, 06:42 PM
My 500 came pre-drilled and tapped. All you have to do is mount a rail and you can add the ghost ring. The front might require a bit more work.

bwavec
September 2, 2008, 02:13 AM
The Marine version of the 500/590 is one that you do not want to bugger with the finish of my installing the Mossy GR front sight on. The receiver is tapped for the rear sights, so nothing to worry about there....just bolt them in place. Trying to find someone to refinish the barrel is a bit of a chore (I am a 590 SP Mariner Owner so I have looked into it). If you are really sold on Ghost Ring sights, there are a couple of choices:

1) Buy a standard black/parkerized replacement barrel and have the front GR sight put on that. It looks a little odd since the barrel is now black, the mag tube, action and receiver are the beadblasted Marine finish. Or after you have a smith install the GR front on the barrel, send it off to get something like an NP3 coating (similar in look finish and function to the Marine finish) on it to refinish it.

2) Another choice is the Meprolite oversized tritium bead that replaces the existing bead (it is threaded to use the same hole). That with the Mossberg Ghost ring rear (and a little time at the range to get this somewhat non standard set sighted in properly) has been great for me. The Ghost rings are easy to pick up and the oversize bead works nicely with it. I can hit quickly out to about 75 yards with slugs (with the sights optimized for about 25 yards). This choice pretty well eliminates the need to have a gunsmith do work on the weapon, and is probably the cheapest option price wise.

Titus
September 2, 2008, 01:41 PM
Mossberg sells a GR kit that includes a barrel with the front sight installed, but I don't know if it's available in Marinecote.

stiletto raggio
September 2, 2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109021244

I would buy it myself, but damn if I don't already have 12 12's.

mgregg85
September 2, 2008, 04:41 PM
Seems like it would just be easier to buy a new rifled barrel instead of paying to have a rifle sight brazed on.

If your gonna be using the ghost rings you probably wanna use slugs anyways so this might be the easiest way to go.

Does anyone know if you can use a regular mossberg 500 barrel on a mossberg 590?

stiletto raggio
September 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
I don't think barrels are interchangeable, and I am against a rifled barrel on anything that will use buckshot. A rifled barrel is made for sabot slugs, not Fosters or Brennekes, so unless he is planning on shooting deer with it, I would stick to a smooth bore. And if you are planning on deer hunting, get the hell away from a nine-shot, nickel plated, heavy-barreled shotgun.

Like I said, I would get the one on gunbroker that already has GR sights. It costs less than most of the Mariner 6-shots with no sights at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "purchasing a mossberg soon...questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!