Unfreakinbuleeeevable!!!

PDA

theNoid
September 1, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ok, so my bud lives out on the prairie, about 30miles out from my little remote town of Rock River. The other day some cows got into his land so he was running them back where they belonged. He was on his 4-wheeler, looks over his shoulder and sees a grey/sagebrush colored pouch/baggie thingy. He swings around and picks it up...it's kind of heavy. He unzips it and low and behold...a Cimmaron/Uberti 7.5" barreled 45 Colt SAA copy. It rusted pretty good and we figured it had been out there for quite a while. So he takes it home and cleans it with soap and water first. Looking better, so he soaks it in oil overnight and he does a real good cleaning job this time, inside and out. The original wood grips are in pretty damn good shape, the bluing is all gone, and there is minor pitting here and there and the bore is like new looking. The mechanical aspects of the gun are very tight, and excellent overall.

You know I have spent so many hours out there in that exact area walking and shooting pDogs and jacks and did I ever find it...HELL NO!!!! He goes in this particular area for the first time in two years of his living there and BLAMMO!!!! there it was.

Oh well, win some lose some I reckon...nice find Ken!!!

Noidster

If you enjoyed reading about "Unfreakinbuleeeevable!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schmidlin
September 1, 2008, 04:39 PM
internet rules....no pics doesn't exist.

22-rimfire
September 1, 2008, 05:18 PM
Just like finding arrowheads, some folks just have an eye to find things.

Has he checked to see if it was stolen?

presspuller
September 1, 2008, 08:49 PM
Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.

Loomis
September 1, 2008, 08:55 PM
That would instantly become my favorite gun in the entire world, if it were me that found it. I wouldn't even try to restore it or refinish it. Just clean it up real good and make it work real good.

Dam, I wish I could find something like that.

Now he just needs to walk around a little until he finds a holster!

GRB
September 1, 2008, 09:14 PM
Maybe I have just been a skeptic too long, but I do not believe in faeries leaving bags full of goodies for me. Did anyone think to call the police to determine, among other things:

1) Who lost the gun and bag?

2) If the person who lost it is maybe a missing person?

3) If the area around the gun and bag was a crime scene or held evidence of a missing person?

4) If the gun and bag were evidence that could have led to finding a missing person or solving a crime?

People don't usually leave such things laying about for others to find them. Sure someone could have just lost it, and maybe 'finders keepers' is a good thing. Of course, there could be other important things to consider too in finding it, like maybe someone disposed of a murder weapon, or maybe some poor slob of a hunter or target shooter dropped it there and his bones are nearby bleaching in the sun. Surely it was not left there by the Tooth Faerie for your friend to find. Maybe, just maybe, he might want to contact law enforcement authorities about it, even at the risk of losing it.

Edited to add: If you think what I said is far fetched, here is just one example of an unsolved shooting in WY: http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/unsolved_cases.html#20. Could that be the gun? Laramie county is the next one over, isn't it? Maybe someone was just left cussing over losing a fine handgun, maybe it should be checked further. I figure it is probably more far fetched to find a gun like that without 'significant history' atatched, as it would be for it to be a lucky finders keepers type of thing that need not be checked out further.

All the best,
Glenn B

Gary in Pennsylvania
September 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
Very well said, Glenn!

kcshooter
September 1, 2008, 10:36 PM
Like Glenn said, it's worth calling it in. I found a Glock once on a river bank. It was stolen. Had the cops check it and they found an open case on it, so they kept it. If they had found it on me and I said "oh, I found that, it was down by the river" I'd have probably been on the hook for quite a few more questions.

But since it was a Glock, I wasn't real upset about giving it up.

19-3Ben
September 1, 2008, 10:57 PM
But since it was a Glock, I wasn't real upset about giving it up.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I hear that.

Elvishead
September 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
Cool, I wish I could find a murder weapon like that. That is so cool you cleaned all the evidence off too.

Maybe I being cynical, it's just probably stolen.

Schmidlin
September 1, 2008, 11:47 PM
Elvis i was thinking the same thing....good deal on the nice clean job.

Elvishead
September 2, 2008, 04:06 AM
Schmidlin

Elvis, I was thinking the same thing,....good deal on the nice clean job.

I cleaned up your post a little, sorry.

Even if it wasn't a murder, or stolen weapon. I'm sure the cops wouldn't give it back. Good way to be implicate though, if it's already to late.

It's out, that his buddy found a gun on his property. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get a knock on the door by a LEO.

presspuller
September 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
People can lose guns just as well as they can lose anything else. Just because its laying out in the middle of nowhere doesn't mean that it was a murder weapon or that it was stolden.
Doesn't mean that I wouldn't give the local cops a call with the SN but I would not turn it over to them until I learned some history.

MCgunner
September 2, 2008, 10:06 AM
Actually, I dream of finding a bag full of hundred dollar bills, but a gun would be better'n nothin' I guess. :D

Virginian
September 2, 2008, 12:30 PM
I think the tooth fairy left it.

SR_
September 2, 2008, 01:07 PM
The gun is registered to someone.

I happened to be reading the NC statutes looking for a specific issue on firearms - NC actually has a law on the books. Turnover found firearms to law enforcement. If owner is not located within a specified then the person that found the firearm gets it. If they don't want it, then the LE agency gets it (can sell, destroy, whatever).

I'm with Glenn -

Old Grump
September 2, 2008, 01:11 PM
When I was stationed at White Sands many moons ago my division officer found an old rifle half buried in the desert while out hunting. He spent nearly a year cleaning it, restocking it and got it back to working condition. Don't remember what it was but it was a beauty. All I ever found was an unexploded HE artillery shell and ordnance blew it up. No souvenir for me.

theotherwaldo
September 2, 2008, 03:14 PM
I've usually just caller the local police jurisdictions and just say that I've wound up with (X) firearm, (X) serial number, and asked them if there are any problems or reports. This has led to the return of a Taurus revolver to a service station owner and a 1911 clone to a man whose wife threw it in the river.

Of course, this was after I had returned two P 220s to the local police after they had dropped them and their cc holsters in the mall parking lot. One had a gold badge in the attached folder, by the way. He sure got ragged!

scrat
September 2, 2008, 03:40 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/smilies/BSMeter1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/smilies/bsflag.gif

scrat
September 2, 2008, 03:41 PM
or how are these

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/smilies/CopyofBSMeter2.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/smilies/needpics.gif

The Bushmaster
September 2, 2008, 04:53 PM
Bull!!! Probably fell off someone else's ATV...Didn't know it was missing until he got back to his pickup...

This paranoia about all ownerless guns found here and there are all crime scene murder or robbery weapons is just Bull!!! Real people DO loose things ya know...

BlackJackal
September 2, 2008, 05:02 PM
was it loaded???

TallPine
September 2, 2008, 05:31 PM
Too bad there wasn't a note left with it:

It was a good gun. It kilt the bar that kilt me.

GRB
September 2, 2008, 05:46 PM
As to this: This paranoia about all ownerless guns found here and there are all crime scene murder or robbery weapons is just Bull!!! Real people DO loose things ya know... There is absolutely no paranoia. I am however imbued with a certain amount of reasonable concern about why a firearm would be left unattended like that by its owner; and by the way it is not an ownerless gun so to speak.

As I said, it COULD HAVE BEEN used in a crime and disposed of in the countryside,

OR

it COULD HAVE BEEN dropped by someone who was injured and wound up a missing person

OR

it COULD HAVE BEEN lost by someone who was careless

OR

it COULD HAVE BEEN that the free gun faerie left it there.

I recommended checking up on it with local law enforcement, there is no amount of paranoia in such a suggestion. Rather it is an ethical thing to consider doing, and something that probably would be done by a responsible adult who gave the matter some thought. Even if you totally disregard the possibility it is evidence of some sort in a missing person (like a hunter), or evidence of a crime, it is still the lost property of someone else. Many states have rules, regulations and laws concerning the reporting of lost/found firearms. Regardless of whether or not Wyoming has such laws on the books, the ethical thing to do would be to search out the owner and return it to him.

As to this all being BS and those BS meters in another reply:

Now if this is all BS, well I see it as Being Sensible because I just do not believe in faeries and ownerless guns, and I find the story overall believable unless proven false. As for pictures, why are pictures needed to make this thread any more believable than another thread, and what would make any of you find it more believable with photographs? I can take a photo of any old gun, and then claim I found it, and post here about it. Is there some other reason you are doubtful of the thread starter's veracity. Without some factual indication that the person is lying, why exactlty is this story any more unbelievable than anything you have ever posted here without pictures? Then again, is the posting of 2 BS meter pictures supposed to make the claim that this thread is false any more believeable?

All the best,
Glenn B

theotherwaldo
September 2, 2008, 09:01 PM
They weren't saying you were BS-ing them, they were pointing at me.

I'm used to it.

I will say that it was a very strange year, running a street sweeper at University Mall in Tuscaloosa at night and working on my Master's during the day. The local cops parked in one area down by the mall office and apparently were using an undercover holster that would get wiped off by getting in the car.
I hope that they've changed holsters.
I found the Taurus .357 and holster in the men's room of a service station. It turned out that it belonged to the station's manager, who looked kinda like Junior Sample's big brother. Apparently it came loose when he used the john and he hadn't noticed.
The last one came out of the Black Warrior river during some kayaking exercises. This find inspired me to further check this area with drag magnets and led me to find three other firearms, one of which was usable (a Norinco 213, which I still have), and a lot of rusty metal.

I don't need to lie - reality really is that strange!

Tribal
September 2, 2008, 09:24 PM
I do not believe in faeries leaving bags full of goodies for me.

Have you never played Wolfenstein, Doom, Halo, or Half-Life?

Loomis
September 3, 2008, 12:46 AM
SR says: "The gun is registered to someone. "

Why is that? I have lots of guns. they aren't registered to anyone, not even to me!

wyocarp
September 3, 2008, 12:55 AM
Well, Noid, we are almost neighbors. Rock River is pretty near the heart of Nowhere, Wyoming. 30 miles from there is nowhere. There aren't a lot criminals driving around out there because it would be hard to be a criminal where the only thing you can kill or steal is sagebrush. Someone lost the pistol and would be forever grateful to have it returned.

ziggy222
September 3, 2008, 02:44 AM
by now that gun is reported as lost or stolen and if your caught with it you may have a hard to convincing the police that you did'nt steal it.remind me not to ever leave anything valuable laying around if we ever meet.

Myles
September 3, 2008, 11:46 AM
Finders, keepers.

jjohnson
September 3, 2008, 01:24 PM
I wondered where I'd left that. Can you send it home, please? I'll pay postage.:D

M14/11B
September 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
I would try to find the owner, by running the SN by the cops. Would'nt you like to get your gun back if you lost it accidentally? Us gun guys generally are a law-abiding lot who look out for each other anyhow.

Glenn

f4t9r
September 3, 2008, 02:04 PM
Actually, I dream of finding a bag full of hundred dollar bills, but a gun would be better'n nothin' I guess.

That is my dream !!!!!

CowardRubi06
September 3, 2008, 05:05 PM
In tuscaloosa.....I can actually picture these things occuring. The finding of the PO's guns I bet was priceless.

SR_
September 3, 2008, 06:18 PM
SR says: "The gun is registered to someone. "

Why is that? I have lots of guns. they aren't registered to anyone, not even to me!

"registered" might have been the term.

I understood that every gun has a paper trail and can be tracked to the gun shop that made the initial sale. They have records (at least for a time period) showing who purchased the firearm.

I hope I never lose a firearm and I hope one is never stolen. If someone were to find it, it would be really nice if they took efforts to find the rightful owner.

I believe that many states are like NC and have statutes on the books that found property should be turned over in the hope the owner can be found.

'Finders keepers, looser weepers' is not a legal concept, and I my mind, it is not an ethical approach.

Loomis
September 3, 2008, 07:39 PM
SR;

What makes you think every gun ever made has only had one owner? Once the gun is passed on to the second owner...no more paper trail.

Well, unless you sell your firearms through an FFL. But I've never done that, and most people don't. For the most part, there's no records of who owns it anymore than there are records of who owns a cordless drill. So why hand it over to the cops?

No point in letting a good firearm go to waste by letting some cops confiscate it. That's how I see it.

theotherwaldo
September 3, 2008, 11:50 PM
Hey, CowardRubi06! Give it a shot - check the old lock face down at the foot of McCorvey Drive, between the University and the river!

I was always finding stuff there. Just watch out for all those old tow cables that are laying on the bottom. Sometimes the propwash from the tow boats will dig them up and the magnets really grab onto them. If you finally get the magnets loose they'll be covered in needle-sharp rusty chunks of cable.

It's fun, but you've been warned - get a tetanus shot first!

Logan5
September 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
If I found this revolver 30 miles outside of Rock River, WY, I would try to find the owner by running the SN by the local gunshop (or gunshops, if there are more than one out there ;) ). It's absurdly unlikely that it's a hot gun with Rock River crip or blood bodies on it, but it's a nice thing to try to return lost wallets, ubertis, etc.

phoglund
September 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
Ye Gods! Here is the lesson: If ya find something, don't post your find on the internet. :rolleyes:

ArchAngelCD
September 4, 2008, 04:02 AM
Glenn Bartley has said exactly what I was thinking....

theotherwaldo
September 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
Blair's bodyguard loses a Glock in the john:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,416461,00.html

Meeteetse
September 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
The smart thing to do is talk to the Albany Count Sheriff. Your friend probably knows him anyway. Is there still a deputy in Rock River or has the WHP taken over for him? Anyway, talk to him, give him the serial number, not the gun, and ask him to run the thing on NCIC for lost, stolen or whatever. He will know in two minutes if anyone has reported it lost, etc. Personally, I think it was probably lost by a snowmobile driver (protected in a bag) last winter who has given it up for lost.

Chuck Spears
September 4, 2008, 06:33 PM
I would have just left it alone. I'm not messing with Anton Chigurh and some No Country For Old Men stuff.

KiltedClaymore
September 4, 2008, 08:13 PM
1) who leaves a stolen gun in the middle of no-where?
2)what criminal uses a Uberti SAA with a 7 inch barrel? or even knows what .45LC is...

i say keep it. some folks have all the luck.

Iggy
September 4, 2008, 09:18 PM
I have a ranch at Rock River. Noid knows it well. We both know that it is wide open and wild country. There are hundreds of antelope, prairie dog, deer, and coyote hunters all over that country every year.

They walk, they ride dirt bikes, ATV's, and snow mobiles, and they lose things all the time. I fortunately haven't lost a fire arm yet, but I know of several that have.

Those who have been there know that the odds of ever finding lost items is about hopeless.

Hell, we lose 5-6 head of 800 pound cattle each year. Some are probably rustled but many die and are eaten by coyotes before we know they are gone.

So finding a gun out there isn't that unusual.
Finding one in a functioning condition is unusual.

I am sure Noid and his friend will check with the landowners in the area to see if some hunter left word of his loss, but in most cases hunters don't ever check in with the landowners or get permission to hunt, so reporting the loss would be an admission of trespassing. The chances of the gun ever being identified are slim.

Virginian
September 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
Tell me more about this free gun faerie. This sounds like someone whose friendship I need to cultivate. :)

Drgong
September 4, 2008, 09:42 PM
heck, I would be happy to find the free AMMO faerie...

mgregg85
September 4, 2008, 09:48 PM
Can someone post that image of R. Lee Ermey saying 'you forgot to post pictures of your new weapon scumbag!!!" i want to save that thing.

theNoid
September 5, 2008, 04:57 PM
Ok ok ok, he did call the sheriff and according to them there is no reports/no problems with the gun according to them. I have no pictures of the gun because I have not been back out there as of yet...sorry...they will come eventually.

ziggy222 said:by now that gun is reported as lost or stolen and if your caught with it you may have a hard to convincing the police that you did'nt steal it.remind me not to ever leave anything valuable laying around if we ever meet.

No sir mr. ziggy222, it has not been. And for that matter, if you are so closeminded to have based your opinion about me and my trustworthiness on this little story of my friend finding a gun in the middle of the prairie...then I have no aspirations to meet you anytime soon, so no worries bro'.

Noidster

GRB
September 5, 2008, 05:25 PM
Tell me more about this free gun faerie. This sounds like someone whose friendship I need to cultivate.

The Free Gun Faerie is a mythical being akin to the Tooth Fairy except this one is an adult, who usually looks like your wife or girlfriend if only because she possesses them for a short while while doing the Free Gun Faerie thing. She leaves presents like guns for you at appropriate times of the year like on Christmas, your birthday, BAG day, your anniverssary, and so forth just to say she loves you because you are a real man and a gun guy. Once uppn a time I thought my wife gave me a gift certificate to buy a gun. Well I thought it was my wife back then, but when I gave it more thought I figured it must have been the Free Gun Faerie because my wife had never before, and has never again, done that. If I remember right I had slept the night before with a copy of The American Rifleman under my pillow, the next day was my birthday, and there was this gift certificate for the local gun shop in a card signed by my wife.

I wish she would come by again, but nothing I do seems to bring her back to me. I suppose she is kept busy by all the rest of you.

GRB
September 5, 2008, 05:30 PM
Ok ok ok, he did call the sheriff and according to them there is no reports/no problems with the gun according to them. As rare an occurence as it is, I suppose it was the work of the Free Gun Faerie after all. Lucky guy, your friend; and he did the responsible thing by checking - good for him.

GRB
September 5, 2008, 05:38 PM
heck, I would be happy to find the free AMMO faerie... The Free Ammo Faerie bestows gifts upon me more often than does the Free Gun Faerie, but is much uglier than the Free Gun Faerie. The Free Ammo Faerie usually possesses a guy, with a pot belly, who is a firearms enthusiast, who got some ammo in trade, or from another old timer, or found in a foot locker, for which he has absolutely no use, and he needs room so he dumps it on you. In order to assure the Free Ammo Faerie visits you, the truth be told, you must visit him, or at least the type he tend to possess. You must talk nice to him, defer to his wisdom on all things gun guruish, buy him coffee and a doughnut now and again, and listen to all the drivel he cares to tell you about how it was in the old days - even if he is younger than you. It also pays to hint to him that you believe he is an expert on all things related to firearms and ammunition, and you should seek him out as a font of knowledge now and then (or at least make him think that is why you are seeking him out). You must also be able to put up with his know it all buddies, and with foul smelling winds that seem to cloud up the room each time they show up someplace. Of course giving him a six-pack now and again is also a good way to assure you stay on this faerie's good side. Oh, by the way, never let him know that you have referred to him as a faerie. I did so recently, and a great source of ammo just seemed to disappear as if into thin air.

bcp
September 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
Everytime I hear of a "Gun Free Zone" I rush there but I'm always too late and they're all gone.

Chuck Spears
September 5, 2008, 06:01 PM
Do these faeries have FFL's? I don't feel like getting caught up in a legal battle.

GRB
September 5, 2008, 06:07 PM
Here is a composite view of a Free Gun Faerie and Free Ammo Faerie - you figure which part is which.

theNoid
September 5, 2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84229&d=1220652558

Now that's some funny sh*t, I don't care who ya are.

Noidster

SaxonPig
September 6, 2008, 12:28 PM
If you find a gun it doesn't belong to you.

Someone lost it.

Or it is stolen.

The serial should be turned over to police so they can try to trace it.

If they can't, and nobody asks about it in a reasonable amount of time, then you keep it.

daorhgih
September 14, 2008, 11:40 PM
THAT would be the absolute LAST thing to do overtly. Mebbe check informally to clarify things. As for "no pix, no facts", it is true. It is impossible to prove a negative, especially in a grey forum like this one. Go take a picture; prove it. I'm not sayin it's a lie, just that I'm a skeptic.

phoglund
September 15, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm inclined to believe the story. What advantage to make such a story up to tell online? I've found many things of value over the years and have lost valuable things as well. I've not lost a gun thankfully nor found one but could easily imagine it occurring. Such is life.

theNoid
September 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
Boy I tell ya, once I get out to my bud's house again I might remember to take a pic or tow of the gun. As for those who think it's all a story I made up, so be it, I could give a rat's arse if you believe or not. It's was a neat happening and I felt like sharing it with ya, end of story.

Wow, it must really suck going though life not trusting anyone or anything unless you see a picture of it. Pics prove nothing, I can easily go to google and conjur up some pics for ya if thats what you want...lol.

Oh and daorhgih you can say "I'm not sayin it's a lie, just that I'm a skeptic." but the fact is that you are indeed saying it's a lie and you don't believe it, at least that is what I get from your post anyhow, don't bother trying to butter it up brother, just speak your mind....lol....it's all good.

Noidster

bflobill_69
September 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
Quote: "Now he just needs to walk around a little until he finds a holster!"

LOL!!! Awesome Loomis...

Bflobill

Thernlund
September 15, 2008, 08:12 PM
Wow, it must really suck going though life not trusting anyone or anything unless you see a picture of it. Pics prove nothing, I can easily go to google and conjur up some pics for ya if thats what you want...lol.

The lack of good faith you've seen in your thread is not uncommon on THR.

Me? I'm all about the pictures. But not for proof. I'll take your word until I have a good reason not to (rather than the other way around). I just like pictures. ;)

It's was a neat happening and I felt like sharing it with ya, end of story.

I, for one, thank you for the story. http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

-T.

crebralfix
September 15, 2008, 08:28 PM
You did say it was a farm? Maybe he's growing ammo. I need some fresh picked 357 Magnum JHPs.

Savage Shooter
September 16, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hey this it perfectly belivable one time I found three 20 dollar bills in the center Isle of walmart i'm not makin this up I was just walking right alone and seen this little bill on the ground all folded up I just thought it was a dollar man was I suprised. Keep your eyes open and your be suprized what you find in life.

rondog
September 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
FWIW - I recently laid my 1911 Compact on the bumper of my pickup, then proceeded to drive all over my gun club's property for several minutes. Probably about 1 to 1.5 miles through pastures, over cattle guards, and down dirt roads.

I nearly died when I remembered my pistol, but there she was, clinging onto the bumper still!

So, that could very well have turned into my "lost pistol story", and someone else's "found pistol story". It really can happen, and it could happen to YOU!

rondog
September 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
Can someone post that image of R. Lee Ermey saying 'you forgot to post pictures of your new weapon scumbag!!!" i want to save that thing.

These are for mgregg85, since he asked....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/rlee.gif

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/gunny.jpg

KiltedClaymore
September 16, 2008, 05:55 PM
I just like pictures

i agree :D

as for losing things/finding things/leaving things ontop of the car, ive got some good stories. once left a potted pumpkin on the roof of my truck. went deer hunting this one time and i ended up leaving my short-range radio, a full box of handloads, and my GPS sitting on the back bumper for about a mile.

im glad i didn't lose any of this stuff, but i wouldn't hold it against someone for keeping something i lost due to me being hurried/distracted/stupid/forgetfull. finder's keepers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unfreakinbuleeeevable!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!