Thoughts on 12ga slug gun

PDA

tcrocker
September 1, 2008, 06:03 PM
I would like to hear your thoughts on which slug gun is better. Pics would be nice too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on 12ga slug gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ravenwolf71
September 1, 2008, 07:14 PM
Mossberg 695 bolt action (discontinued)

ReloaderFred
September 1, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have a Remington 870 Express all set up for slugs, with a rifled barrel and scope. I cast the Lyman wasp waist slugs and load them in AA hulls, over a healthy dose of Blue Dot (according to the Lyman Shotgun Manual), and they will hold 5 shots into about 3" at 100 yards. It kicks like a mule, but gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

Fred

mgregg85
September 1, 2008, 07:45 PM
The mossy 695 works pretty damn good but it has a nasty kick to it. I'd love to know what the recoil impulse of that thing is with 3" mags.

Lon371
September 3, 2008, 06:02 AM
H&R Ultra Slug 12 or 20. The 12 kicks hard (i was told) The 20 shoots like a 410. Really easy on bum shoulders. I have the 20 just under 2" 75 yards. The gun would do better, I am to lazy and to cheap to try. Plus our shots have always been under 75 yards.

Buddy of mine, shoots 1.5 at 100 yards with his Ulltra slug 12.

only down side really is the weight of these. They have a bull type barrel. The 20 is drilled from a 12 guage stock, and the 12 from a 10 guage.

Good luck.
Lonny

Taurus44
September 3, 2008, 10:43 AM
I've got the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 12ga and it puts three slugs touching at 100 yards with Lightfield Hybrid Sabots. I'm almost out of the Lightfields now (I bought a LOT of them years ago because they grouped so well in my gun), but I'm having pretty good luck with the new Hornady SST slugs.

scythefwd
September 3, 2008, 02:43 PM
My mossy 500a will overlap the slugs at 50 using winchester platinum sabots. Its got a trophyslug rifled barrel at 24 inches, and a 3.4 x scope (might be a 2.4, it came with the shotgun). I haven't shot past 50, I can't see that far in my hunting grounds. The holes in the plywood target backer were the size of quarters (or a little larger).

ImARugerFan
September 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
Anything will work really. I prefer a wingmaster. The Ithaca deerslayer is an awesome gun, but it comes with an annoying rattle. Heck, I shot the biggest buck of my life with a browning sweet sixteen with mod choke. It's really hard to find a shotgun that won't kill a deer within 50 yards.

huntsman
September 3, 2008, 07:25 PM
Another vote for the H&R mine is a twenty.

http://http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

Beagle-zebub
September 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
For what it's worth, I am really intrigued by those bolt-action slug guns that Savage sells.

The Deer Hunter
September 3, 2008, 10:32 PM
I received a Remington 1100, 20 gauge with an all rifled barrel, synthetic stock and a Bushnell Banner scope from my father upon graduation. I haven't shot it a whole lot but with those Hornady SST slugs I shot 3 rounds through the same hole at 100 yards.

From what I have found Remington makes a darn good slug gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on 12ga slug gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!