Few questions about Century Arms Golani Sporter. (Galil)

PDA

dodging230grainers
September 1, 2008, 06:40 PM
1. I have heard from an IDF vet, that at least the IMI versions, you have to re-zero the weapon whenever you take the gun apart, do to the rear sight being receiver mounted? Is this true?

2. Is the folding stock high quality

3. What is the twist rate on the Century Arms Galil? Barrel length?

4. Has anyone made a decent optics mount yet for it? Can I change out the stock handguards for wooden Israeli ones? how hard would it be?

5. What are some advantages of this weapons system over an AR-15?

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Few questions about Century Arms Golani Sporter. (Galil)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MIL-DOT
September 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
No expert, but no one else is chiming in,so....I can't see how the rifle would need re-zeroing after field stripping, makes no sense, IMO.The receiver,barrel and sights are essentially one solid piece. Removing the top cover and bolt shouldn't have any affect at all.
The folding aluminum tube stocks, essentially copies of the FN stocks, are pretty solid, not at all like the Tapco faux-Galil junk out there.
Not sure about barrel twist, but can't be too hard to google up that info.( I think a company called Green Mountan makes the barrels, IIRC).
I'm thinking the plastic forgips were only on the .223 version, the wood was on the .308, at least that's how I've usually seen them, so not sure about interchangeability.
The advantage of the Galil over the AR platform,as I understand, would mostly be in the reliability area, since the Galil is essentially an AK-47 variant.
Other than that,the Galil is lots more expensive (at least the IMI version) , heavier,the magazines harder to find and more expensive, the AR-mag converter is also hard to find and very expensive.Plus, spare parts and accessories are not nearly as plentiful.
I personally love the Galil, and have always wanted one, but the AR would be immensely more practical, and from most of what I've heard and read, the Century Galils fall somewhere between problematic, and outright junk. YMMV.

mgregg85
September 1, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think he meant about the sights being mounted on the top cover, and thus they would be jostled around whenever the weapon was field stripped.

I would think the Galil would have a nice reliability advantage over the AR15 but thats about it. I've never held or shot one so I really cannot say, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

dodging230grainers
September 1, 2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, I'm still trying to clear up the issue of field stripping the gun affecting the zero.

How is the accuracy with iron sights? I believe they are peep sights like the AR?

stiletto raggio
September 2, 2008, 01:02 AM
The top cover on a Galil locks up much more tightly than on a standard AK. If you can get one on the cheap (JG Sales has them for $699) they are great rifles. Pick up plenty of 35 round Orlite mags (Brownells has them for $12.10 if you buy five or more) and one 50 rounder for range fun.

My rifle was built by Dave at Elite Firearms. It was not perfect when I got it, but he stands behind his work. The trigger is by far the best I have ever felt on an AK-type rifle. The triggers on the Centruy guns are grittier, which is to be expected, but it should be easy enough to polish.

I love my Galil, and it is probably the most popular among my friends out at the range. showing a bunch of Army guys an AK type that is accurate and well-made is a blast.

Also, the barrel is 1:7", or at least it is on the real ones.

dodging230grainers
September 2, 2008, 11:50 AM
The one at Elite Firearms does look cool. If there's anything wrong with the Galil's from them, do they take them back or fix them? On their site it said something about using mostly IMI parts, but the receiver is still ORF.

hksw
September 2, 2008, 12:48 PM
I can't see how the rifle would need re-zeroing after field stripping, makes no sense, IMO.The receiver,barrel and sights are essentially one solid piece.

The rear sight of the Galil is on the receiver dust cover and is not entirely solid with the receiver and barrel. The sight comes off every time you disassemble the gun.

The folding stock of the Century guns have been a mixed bag from what I've seen. Some are tight, others are pretty loose (a lot of side play) in both open and closed positions. All of the true Galils I've seen have been pretty solid in this area.

armoredman
September 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
I was under the impression it is NOT the Century drunken monkeys actually building the Galil clones, that they contracted outside. Truth?

dodging230grainers
September 2, 2008, 01:29 PM
The rear sight of the Galil is on the receiver dust cover and is not entirely solid with the receiver and barrel. The sight comes off every time you disassemble the gun.

So do you actually have to re-zero the gun every time you field strip/clean it?

BTR
September 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
Elite firearms doesn't seem to have a great reputation. I would ask around before ordering anything from there.

wally
September 2, 2008, 01:51 PM
The folding stock of the Century guns have been a mixed bag from what I've seen. Some are tight, others are pretty loose (a lot of side play) in both open and closed positions. All of the true Galils I've seen have been pretty solid in this area.

My best advice about Century guns is to never buy one sight unseen. I've had good luck with all my Century guns but I knew what to look out for and on average looked at three or four before finding the one I actually bought. This makes for pretty bad odds on a blind purchase and transfer.

Mine is a very early one that was subject to the recall. I never shot it before I heard about the recall. The repaired gun has functioned fine and shoots well although the sights were pretty far off initially. Stock locks up tight in both positions.

Being basically an AK, I still haven't cleaned mine :)

--wally.

stiletto raggio
September 2, 2008, 03:46 PM
It is true that there are mixed opinions on Elite, and while I think his prices are a bit high, the end product is about as close as you are going to get to a new rifle. Red Stick also makes "Galil-like" rifles, but on a standard AK receiver. It has been well over a year since I bought mine, but it is a heck of a shooter, and Dave has stood behind his product. I am actually about to send mine back for a "tune-up" since the buttstock is a bit loose in the folded position, but the thing locks up and functions beautifully. He even put a safety stop in my grip so that the rifle will go on safe, but not lock up so tight that it is awkward to release the safety.

hksw
September 2, 2008, 08:31 PM
So do you actually have to re-zero the gun every time you field strip/clean it?

In truth, you really won't be too far off but it is pretty rare that the gun will shoot exactly where you left it before taking off the dust cover. I've always re-zeroed my Galil ARM after every cleaning but then again I always check zero every gun I take to the range in the event it got banged around since the last time I shot it and to check for changes due to conditions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Few questions about Century Arms Golani Sporter. (Galil)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!