You just can't fix stupid

PDA

.cheese.
September 1, 2008, 08:43 PM
The following took place 20 minutes ago in Walmart:

I was at the sporting goods counter getting 3 Remington UMC boxes of .40 S&W (the big 250 round boxes). A guy standing there was looking at the display and said to the salesman, "You don't have any 9mm Smith and Wesson?" The salesperson not knowing much himself, looked at the display while I just stood there for a moment wondering what the heck the guy was talking about and whether he knew something I didn't. The salesperson turned around and said, "Sorry, we don't have that." The guy turns to me and says, "I can't believe they don't have any 9mm."

I looked at the display and pointed and said, "There's 9mm right there in 100 round value packs."

(now I'll change into dialog mode)

The guy: No, that's not 9mm Smith and Wesson. I need 9mm Smith and Wesson.

Me: What gun is this for? I've never heard of 9mm Smith and Wesson, is this an old gun? (I was still thinking perhaps he knew something I didn't and was giving him the benefit of the doubt)

The guy: It's a Smith and Wesson Glock.

Me: Wait. Is it a Smith and Wesson, or is it a Glock?

The guy: No, it's a Smith and Wesson Glock

Me: Ok. I think there is some confusion here. You either have a Smith and Wesson, or you have a Glock. There is no such thing as a Smith and Wesson Glock.

The guy: Well, obviously you just don't know about it.

Me: I don't discount that there are plenty of things I don't know, but in this case, I'm fairly sure there is no such thing as a Smith and Wesson Glock. You see, Smith and Wesson is a trademarked brand name. Glock is also a trademarked brand name. What you're saying you own is basically like calling a car a Toyota brand Honda, or a shirt a Ralph Lauren brand Calvin Klein. They're both brand names.

The guy: Well, I know it's a Glock that takes 9mm Smith and Wesson.

Me: Ok. This can be made easier. What model Glock is it.

The guy: It's a Glock 16.

Me: Alright. Now I know there is some confusion. Gaston Glock's first model was the Model 17. There has never been a Model 16.

The guy: (now getting rude) Well, I guess I have the only one.

Me: The Glock 17 was named either because it was Gaston Glock's 17th design or 17th patent, I can't remember which right now, but look - if you really have a Glock 16, then it's some kind of really old prototype that was never released and is probably worth a small fortune. I'd say that it's more likely you have a Glock 17 or a Glock 19 if you're saying you have a 9mm. Glock only supports 9mm, .40 Smith and Wesson, .45 ACP, .357 SIG, .45 GAP, and 10mm Auto. They technically also support .380 ACP, but here in the U.S.A it's not sold to my knowledge. That might be also marked 9mm x 17. Is that what you have somehow?

The guy: No, I have a Smith and Wesson Glock in 9mm Smith and Wesson. I'd show you my license if I had it on me, it says the gun I have. I have a special state issued license.

Me: What kind of license is this? (at this point I've more than realized the guy has no idea what he's talking about, but I'm still trying to help out of the kindness of my heart)

The guy: It's a special license only certain people can get that allows me to carry a gun.

Me: Well sir, I'm always glad to see when somebody takes their safety seriously. I too have a concealed weapons permit, but it does not say on it what gun you can carry if it's a Florida license. I'm trying to help you here.

The guy: I appreciate your trying, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Me: Ok. Well, all I can say is that I tried. I suggest that you go home and check to see what gun you have before you go anywhere else to buy ammunition because most places will not take returns on ammunition. I think what you have is either a Glock in 9mm Luger, or in .40 Smith and Wesson, OR you have a Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm that looks a little like a Glock I suppose hence the confusion. Have a nice day.

Around this point I've purchased my ammo and start walking away. I can hear the guy asking the salesperson if they can special order 9mm Smith and Wesson ammo.

All I can say is wow..... just wow..... :barf:

ETA: honestly folks... I couldn't make this crap up if I tried. That's what makes it so sad.

If you enjoyed reading about "You just can't fix stupid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zedicus
September 1, 2008, 08:46 PM
Sounds like a Darwin Award Candidate....

Hands of blue
September 1, 2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe he had the Glock 7 :)

gp911
September 1, 2008, 08:50 PM
I love how argumentative he got, questioning your knowledge to cover his BS... Yeesh...

gp911

General Geoff
September 1, 2008, 08:52 PM
It was probably a Glock 26, .40S&W. Didn't remember the 26, and called it a 16, and didn't recall what exact caliber, just that it had "Smith & Wesson" in the name. Then he thought, "must be 9mm," and went from there.

This case isn't stupidity, it's stubbornness.

edit; Glock 26 is a 9mm, so even this can't be right. This guy is all over the map.

jerkface11
September 1, 2008, 08:53 PM
Maybe it's a Sigma. That's pretty much a S&W Glock.

.cheese.
September 1, 2008, 08:54 PM
It was probably a Glock 26, .40S&W.

Entirely possible. I forgot to mention that he also said something at some point like, "It takes something-teen rounds." which is why I ruled it out. I don't recall where that came up though so I didn't include it. Although what does the 26 take - 11/12 rounds in the mag which would make 12/13 with one chambered? Maybe you're right then if it's 13 rounds total. It could have been a 26.

ETA: Nope. I just checked Glock.com. 10 rounds +1. I did realize just now though that I forgot about the 34.

MachIVshooter
September 1, 2008, 08:56 PM
Sounds like the same kind of idiot that puts E-85 in a non-FFV. People like this spend a great deal of time and money paying for their ignorance. Sometimes the cost is even higher.

Artiz
September 1, 2008, 08:57 PM
Sounds like he doesn't even knows what he is carrying, sounds he doesn't knows calibers and firearms neither.
Sounds like I would have been laughing enough to make him pretty angry.

Rokyudai
September 1, 2008, 08:58 PM
.cheese,

Wow, that is just....wow.

SomeKid
September 1, 2008, 09:00 PM
About the time he got rude I think I would have gone low road, but then, I really hate stupid people who are also rude, and stubborn.

4xfourfun
September 1, 2008, 09:01 PM
Stupid is as stupid does....

Man, this world is in trouble.....

I hope he doesn't reproduce......

guntotinguy
September 1, 2008, 09:02 PM
Sounds like he doesn't even knows what he is carrying, sounds he doesn't knows calibers and firearms neither.

And that,amongst all the laughs,is exceedingly scary!

Loomis
September 1, 2008, 09:03 PM
I have a s&w glock.

BTW, if your refrigerator is running, you better try to catch it.

cheese, I think you were just the victim of a practical joke. was this a young kid?

Bartkowski
September 1, 2008, 09:05 PM
Some people are just stupid and never want to learn.

I would really like to know what gun he had though.

fluffy
September 1, 2008, 09:06 PM
And,he probably makes six figures a year selling cat food or something.

SSN Vet
September 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
sorry to say it.....but....

attempting to instruct a fool doesn't sound like a wise endeavor.

Picard
September 1, 2008, 09:12 PM
What, you don't know about the Glock 16? *sarcasm*

What a fool. It's funny how stubborn he was. I bet he'll figure it out and end up feeling like an idiot.

Starship1st
September 1, 2008, 09:14 PM
I am laughing so hard right now. All I can say is to give this guy a wide space. It is a wonder he has not hurt himself or others?

You were very patient with him and trying to help but there is no help for that guy. :banghead:

.cheese.
September 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
was this a young kid

Not at all. Guy was in his 40's or 50's and was dead serious.

JesseL
September 1, 2008, 09:26 PM
Just imagine how guy felt when he got home, looked at his pistol, and (hopefully) realized what an idiot he was.

I've had some amusing conversations about Glock 22s (in .40 S&W of course) and Smith and Wesson model 357s (in .41 Magnum). Reminiscent of "Who's on First?"

FieroCDSP
September 1, 2008, 09:29 PM
Trust me.... being a customer next to one of these people isn't nearly the same as dealing with them as an employee, one after another, all day. I try to enlighten when I can. Some people just can't be helped.

FieroCDSP
September 1, 2008, 09:30 PM

Most dangerous type. They don't know, and no one's going to change their mind.

Mr White
September 1, 2008, 09:37 PM
Cheese, I'm proud of you. You made it through the whole encounter without calling him a moron or an idiot as you walked off.

moooose102
September 1, 2008, 09:41 PM
HEY, I KNOW THAT GUYS BROTHER !!!!! some peoples kids! just think, if, i mean IF, that guy REALLY had to try to make up his mind in a real emergency whether or not to use his gun! oh man....

langenc
September 1, 2008, 09:46 PM
As 4xfour and Forest noted- stupid is as stupid does.

Sometimes you just cant help. Good thing you were going to different ranges. Or did he show up where you were shooting??

Rubber_Duck
September 1, 2008, 09:49 PM
This reminds me of all the times I've argued with some know-it-all that says a Glock 22 is a rimfire pistol, and then call me an idiot for trying to convince them that it is in fact a forty caliber. :banghead:

ArmedLiberal
September 1, 2008, 09:51 PM
Kudos to you .cheese for offering to assist a stranger.

I wonder if that guy is a little off, like beyond mall ninja. A fairly functional mentally ill guy who learns about guns reading online and with no real life experience. Living on another planet while walking among us.

But then again, sometimes I find out that something I've 'known' for years is completely wrong. I thought that Bob Seger was Pete Seeger's son (like Arlo and Woodie Guthrie) until I was reading about Pete Seeger's life and looked him up on WikiPedia. I would have bet fifty bucks on this, but I can be an idiot with the best of them I guess.

AL

Hardtarget
September 1, 2008, 10:03 PM
Almost makes you want to ask to go home with him just to actually see what the gun really is! You know...for you own education! :evil:

We know he would never go for that idea!

Mark.

Darthbauer
September 1, 2008, 10:04 PM
Am i the only one that gave the other customer a Larry the cable guy voice while reading that?

Treo
September 1, 2008, 10:04 PM
How can people be that stupid ? I mean come on the gun usually says right on the breech what it chambers.

I ran into a guy at Rampart Range in Co Springs, once that was having a devil of a time trying to load .308s in the magazine for his M-1 carbine, I think he gave me the box when I showed him my model 94

oneshooter
September 1, 2008, 10:09 PM
Remember these wise words when dealing with that type.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experence! :D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

MIgunguy
September 1, 2008, 10:14 PM
Now I don't feel so bad about when I was just learning about guns when I was a teenager 20 years ago and I asked a guy at a gun store "what's the difference between a 9mm Luger, 9mm NATO, and 9mm Parabellum?" At least I got an honest answer... "not much."

I decided to buy a 9X19 instead ;)

elChupacabra!
September 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Reminds me of a quote from Stephen Colbert -

I don't trust facts - facts change. But my opinion will NEVER change! ;)

MachIVshooter
September 1, 2008, 10:22 PM
This reminds me of all the times I've argued with some know-it-all that says a Glock 22 is a rimfire pistol, and then call me an idiot for trying to convince them that it is in fact a forty caliber

Which is why I've learned to separate "Glock" and "22" with the word "model"; I've had far too many people say "I didn't know Glock made a .22".

SaMx
September 1, 2008, 10:28 PM
wow, that's just... wow

SamG.
September 1, 2008, 10:31 PM
"Oh, my dear Benson. You are so mercilessly free from the ravages of intelligence."

Josh Aston
September 1, 2008, 10:49 PM
Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experence!

I was gonna say this, but oneshooter beat me to it. I guess great minds think alike :D

Anyway, this special license he has, it wouldn't happen to be a Form ID-10-T would it?

bigjohnson
September 1, 2008, 10:56 PM
I work in a gun store three days a week. It's a fairly good-sized store, with over 300 handguns and about 250 long guns in stock. We usually get guys like that in the store about two or three times a month. They have absolutely no idea what they have, how to use it, or what kind of ammunition it takes. My favorite was the woman who walked in and asked for some 8mm ammunition for her pistol (No. She didn't have a Nambu.). When I asked her if she meant 9mm, she got really belligerant and accused me of making fun of her because she was female. I finally explained to her that the best thing to do was to bring the pistol in, and we would make sure that the ammo we sold her was correct. She went out to the car, got the pistol (a Walther PP .380) and brought it in and handed it to me. It had a full magazine and one in the chamber.

Officers'Wife
September 1, 2008, 10:57 PM
Hi .cheese,

I've heard many times that everyone has a God given right to screw up their lives as they see fit. From the sounds of it, this guy has raised it to an art form.

Selena

Dope
September 1, 2008, 10:57 PM
You have the patience of a saint. I would have gotten about 10% through that before I started laughing or walked away. Or both. I have no time for willful ignorance and rudeness to that degree.

Dope

Loomis
September 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
hardtarget:

"just to actually see what the gun really is!"

He said he had a permit, so he shoulda had it on him.

doc2rn
September 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
Anyway, this special license he has, it wouldn't happen to be a Form ID-10-T would it?

I would have sent him looking for keys to the Hummer or to the store for 50' of GIG Line.:evil:

Loomis
September 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
MIgunguy:

"I decided to buy a 9X19 instead"

Hey, that's what I shoulda done too. But no. Unfortuneatly I got talked into a wop9 instead.

Treo
September 1, 2008, 11:12 PM
I would have sent him looking for keys to the Hummer or to the store for 50' of GIG Line

How about checking the air pressure in the road wheels , or picking up a gallon of track tension while he's at it?

Box of grid squares anyone?

Savage Shooter
September 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
Did he leave his sign at home or could you just not see it.(Bill Engvall google it if your not a fan):D
It should be a crime for these people to have kids.

theken206
September 1, 2008, 11:49 PM
problem is is he needed to use a id-10T wrench to measure his bore properly I think treo

GigaBuist
September 1, 2008, 11:54 PM
Now I don't feel so bad about when I was just learning about guns when I was a teenager 20 years ago and I asked a guy at a gun store "what's the difference between a 9mm Luger, 9mm NATO, and 9mm Parabellum?" At least I got an honest answer... "not much."

I actually got a phone call asking about that a few months ago. It was from my buddy that's in Army EOD, and he's a pretty serious gun nut. Seems he placed a bet with the an armorer that 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum were different. Called me to verify.

He lost the bet.

insidious_calm
September 2, 2008, 12:01 AM
It was probably a Glock 26, .40S&W.

Except that if it was a glock 26 it would be a 9mm, and if it was a sub-compact glock in .40 S+W it would be a glock 27. ;)

I.C.

SiNNiK
September 2, 2008, 12:06 AM

They tried to get me with that one, I just gave them a sly smirk and didn't respond.

10 minutes later they got me with pounding on the track park with a rubber mallet lookin for "weak spots".

:o

Ghost Walker
September 2, 2008, 12:12 AM
:) Cheese, I have that gun! It's a SmithamaGlock in 9mm S&W kurz. Geeze, I thought you'd know that! :rolleyes:

.cheese.
September 2, 2008, 06:02 AM
Good thing you were going to different ranges. Or did he show up where you were shooting??

Thankfully this was just in Walmart and not at a range. If it were at a range, I'd probably call it a day and get out of there ASAP to be safe.

Except that if it was a glock 26 it would be a 9mm, and if it was a sub-compact glock in .40 S+W it would be a glock 27.

Aren't they capable of swapping barrels like the 17/22? Or does this not apply to sub compacts?
General Geoff's idea would be a pretty good explanation if they're swappable. Still doesn't explain a lot of other things, but at least would explain where 16 came from.

Guns and more
September 2, 2008, 10:40 AM
Next week he'll be working at the store selling ammo.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 2, 2008, 10:50 AM
That is rough. Way beyond just mere ignorance. That's ignorance to the point of being a danger to himself and others. Sooner or later, he's gonna shoot a 9mm mak or 9x19 in .40 pistol and bad things could happen.

Robby
September 2, 2008, 11:02 AM
I know they are every where! But I am so glad, that I do not live close to that one!

Yes there are people who should not have a gun!!:banghead:

Scoutsout2645
September 2, 2008, 11:14 AM
With any luck he shot his first round at the range by sighting down the "scope-hole" in the long end of his pistol.

The scary part is, THAT could be the guy in the port next to you in the range tomorrow....

Sleep tight.

jahwarrior
September 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
hey, i have a glock 16. i bought it from...this guy. yeah. my girlfriend was with me. you wouldn't know her, i met her over the summer. at niagara falls. yeah. i drove there.....in my hummer. well, it wasn't mine...i rented it. yeah...

pbearperry
September 2, 2008, 11:40 AM
Let's go easy on the poor guy.Maybe he has just turned from being a flaming liberal wingnut to a center of the road guy who finally realized that it's up to him to protect himself?Hopefully he has a friend or relative that can take him under their wing and show him the ropes?

zoom6zoom
September 2, 2008, 12:50 PM
You know, if Florida mandated that you take a class before you could get your permit, these things might not happen.

XDKingslayer
September 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
I have to admire your patience. I have none for stupid people. My half of the conversation would have ended at him insiting it was a Smith and Wesson Glock.

texas bulldog
September 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
you would think the guy at the gun counter (yes...even at wal*mart) would have been able to tell him there was no such caliber as 9mm S&W. maybe he would have taken his word for it since he's the "expert".

brassdog
September 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
Totally speechless!!!:what:

I would have just stared at him with my best Clint squint, thinking "a man has got to know his limitations.":scrutiny:

I certainly hope he didn't reproduce any offspring!

shdwfx
September 2, 2008, 01:33 PM
What a specimen.

Carrying a handgun should not require a license, but reproducing should.

bcp
September 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
The guy: No, that's not 9mm Smith and Wesson. I need 9mm Smith and Wesson.

Maybe this is what he had. Now he wants more, but doesn't know there are others that fit.

http://store.vintagepaperads.com/catalog/AR0960.jpg

http://www.municion.org/9para/Sw9mmG.jpg

ColinthePilot
September 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
I would have sent him looking for keys to the Hummer or to the store for 50' of GIG Line
How about checking the air pressure in the road wheels , or picking up a gallon of track tension while he's at it?

I usually ask for a spool of flight line or a bucket of prop-wash. Make sure you guys remember to get the winter air put in your tires in the next month or two.

Oohh. That reminds me, I need to get some 9mm Sig for my P6 and some 9mmTaurus for my other pistol. I wish I had a Luger or a Parabellum, cuz ammo seems to be much cheaper for those!

SSN Vet
September 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
I usually ask for a spool of flight line or a bucket of prop-wash. Make sure you guys remember to get the winter air put in your tires in the next month or two.

Put him into a foul weather suit and send him into the control room with a 15 foot boat hook so he can catch the "mail buoy". This gets the best affect when the submarine is submerged.

Claude Clay
vintage S&W 9MM......he must not buy ammo often

'seeing' that ad--i do have a partial box of 38spc. probably came to me with my dad's cobra from the late 60's.

...washer fluid is fine but your radiator is low a bucket of steam

Albatross
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Its pretty commendable for you to continue to try and help. I know I would have evacuated a long time before you did.

NG VI
September 2, 2008, 02:35 PM
Almost makes you want to ask to go home with him just to actually see what the gun really is! You know...for you own education!

We know he would never go for that idea!

Mark.

Who knows what he really had. Probably a Ruger GP-345AT.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 2, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hey, little sidebar:

Actually overheard by me about two weeks ago in my favorite gun store.... Two guys (customers); one asks the salesman "Hey we're wondering, what's the actual diameter of .357 mag bullet?" "Umm, .357". "Oh, ok". Actually it's not THAT dumb of a question, when you consider the confusion created by ".38 special" using the same bullet, but still, I got a smile out of it.

jim147
September 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
Yes my sig line is great.

I really hope he doesn't hurt anyone else with his ignorance.

I'd of sent him after some muffler bearings. The platinum ones last long and go faster.

dhoomonyou
September 2, 2008, 04:32 PM
Who's on First?

boomvark
September 2, 2008, 04:33 PM
ArmedLiberal said: I thought that Bob Seger was Pete Seeger's son (like Arlo and Woodie Guthrie) until I was reading about Pete Seeger's life and looked him up on WikiPedia. I would have bet fifty bucks on this, but I can be an idiot with the best of them I guess.

Hey, that's not so bad. I once convinced a co-worker that King Diamond was Neil Diamond's brother.

Admittedly his, ah, misunderstanding was at least half my fault. :D

ARS1911
September 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
PLEASE PEOPLE DO THE WORLD A FAVOR, SPEY AND NEUTER YOUR IDIOTS- this has been a public sevice announcement

MacTech
September 2, 2008, 06:00 PM
And don't forget to top off your blinker fluid...

.cheese.
September 2, 2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.municion.org/9para/Sw9mmG.jpg

Very possible. The only thing that makes me think it wasn't the case was that he mentioned that he can buy it at Outdoor World (another line I failed to mention).... so with Outdoor World over here only existing for a few years, that would rule it out too.

My best guess thus far is that he has a Smith and Wesson M&P in .40S&W, assumes that all black pistols are called Glocks just like how most of us call all plastic bandages bandaids, or facial tissue kleenex. The number 16 comes from the number of rounds that the gun will accept (15+1 = 16).... and assumes that all handgun ammunition is a manufacturer specific version of 9mm.

Deanimator
September 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
Usually in order to be that invincibly ignorant, a person has to be discussing computers, or the Holocaust, Hiroshima, or 9/11, or...

Deanimator
September 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
I ran into a guy at Rampart Range in Co Springs, once that was having a devil of a time trying to load .308s in the magazine for his M-1 carbine, I think he gave me the box when I showed him my model 94
I was an OPFOR instructor in Korea. There was always a genius in the class who "knew" that you could shoot 7.62x51mm NATO in an AK-47. We used to give them a Kalashnikov magazine and a .308 round and let them have at it.

.cheese.
September 2, 2008, 06:36 PM
Usually in order to be that invincibly ignorant, a person has to be discussing computers, or the Holocaust, Hiroshima, or 9/11, or...

asking their attorney why they can't bail out after a violation of probation.......

911Boss
September 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
I no longer try to "help" people unless they show some sign of wanting help, regardless of how much they need help...

Deanimator
September 2, 2008, 06:51 PM
Most dangerous type. They don't know, and no one's going to change their mind.
There's a guy pretty active in usenet (and FidoNet before it) who's heavily into the "father's rights movement". The guy's a pure-d whacko, Walter Mitty type and a pathetic, misogynistic bully.

One day in FidoNet he went on a rant about how we need gun control to protect us from "AK47s with 500 magazines". I dared him to find ANY reference, ANYWHERE to a 500 round magazine for the Kalashnikov. He started blowing smoke about how he'd been in "Air Force Special Forces in Vietnam" when "all of the Special Forces were together". Being a Kurt Vonnegut fan, I posited that it was far more likely that he'd been in the "Parachute Ski Marines". It stuck.

Then he got into an argument over how many B-46 bombers were produced. Those of us with actual KNOWLEDGE said "nothing but prototypes". The blowhard couldn't leave well enough alone, and insisted that the skies of '50s America were practically black with squadrons of B-46s that blotted out the sun. A friend of mine in rural Oregon drove ONE HUNDRED MILES to a library to confirm his source, the Rand-MacNally(sp?) atlas of aircraft. Turns out that's he'd quoted the first edition of the book... which had a misprint, citing the B-46 instead of the B-45 Tornado. My friend rubbed his nose in it for weeks. From then on, in addition to being a hero of the "Parachute Ski Marines", he was "B-46 Kenny".

45Guy
September 2, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ah, how I miss my comrades of the Parachute Ski Marines, they were great men. You should've seen it, one time there were 3 of us against 3,000 chinese at Bunker Hill, we got them all when those big B-46's came in and bombed them, then the Cobra's came in and picked us all up and took us back across the river to Cu Chi for some R&R with the Playboy bunnies. :D

Those were the days!

Evenflo76
September 2, 2008, 07:54 PM
This is exactly why I limit my conversations to the employee ONLY while at the sporting goods counter at Wal-Mart///:cuss::banghead::eek:

jerkface11
September 2, 2008, 07:59 PM
What no one else thinks the guy has a Sigma? You know the S&W COPY of a Glock.

tblt
September 2, 2008, 08:08 PM
I had one of those guns years ago but sold it because it was hard to find ammo for.
I sold it and got me a ZC IMAR in M.M.9
I also got a REGUR 59-P for home defence

JTW Jr.
September 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
"I am the only one in here qualified , that I know of to carry this 9mm S&W Glock.... even fitty cent aint got of these "

somewhere there is a village , with its idiot all over the side of expired milk cartons...and he was right there all along , shopping in WalMart ( could have been the gun counter manager off duty ).

:)

jonmerritt
September 2, 2008, 08:23 PM
I was asked to get a box of grid squares once. It took me awhile, but I came back in about an hour, and handed my platoon sgt a box of grid squares. I found a map and a pair of scissors, cut it into the little squares, put them in a box, (not the whole map), and handed it to him. He stood there for several minutes slack jawed, looking in the box. He closed the box, put it under his arm, and never screwed with me again.

.cheese.
September 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
What no one else thinks the guy has a Sigma? You know the S&W COPY of a Glock.

another possibility. 16 round capacity in 9mm too.

Was it produced around the same time as S&W having their own brand of ammo? If so, that would totally explain the confusion.

Claymore1500
September 2, 2008, 08:27 PM
you would think the guy at the gun counter (yes...even at wal*mart) would have been able to tell him there was no such caliber as 9mm S&W. maybe he would have taken his word for it since he's the "expert".

The guy at the gun counter is probably trying to "Special order" the ammo as we type.

scrat
September 2, 2008, 08:32 PM
omg this has got to be the funniest thread i have read all day long. fantastic

KiltedClaymore
September 2, 2008, 08:32 PM
wow, this made me laugh pretty hard. at least you didn't get upset and blow your top on them (as i think their gun may).

scrat
September 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
REminds me of when i used to work in an auto parts store. One time we had a lady coming in asking for the cap that goes on the top of the engine. Apparently she lost hers. her old had 710 on it. So she wanted one that had 710 on it. After i went and cleaned my shorts i explained to the lady if you flipped the cap the other way it says OIL

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 2, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ah, how I miss my comrades of the Parachute Ski Marines, they were great men. You should've seen it, one time there were 3 of us against 3,000 chinese at Bunker Hill, we got them all when those big B-46's came in and bombed them, then the Cobra's came in and picked us all up and took us back across the river to Cu Chi for some R&R with the Playboy bunnies.

Those were the days!

:D Ahhh yes.... Sam Bam, Ding Dong, I was all over that place; Agent Orange, that's me - Agent Orange. (Question: What movie was that line from?)

george29
September 2, 2008, 08:41 PM
I can see this guy now, talking to the coroner's inquest, " I thought it was my Winchester Cattle Prod, honestly!"

wrc
September 2, 2008, 08:49 PM
It's interesting how men act in pursuits like guns and cars. Often, someone who is definitely wondering and looking for information will pick a "story" and stick to it in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Face, of course, is the key here.

The same skills that will help you guide someone who is advancing a line of ignorance or BS (often with full knowledge of what it is) seem to be useful in de-escalating physical confrontations.

Nozoki
September 2, 2008, 09:16 PM
This reminds me of the time I was waiting to get into a parking garage behind some woman who kept trying to shove a dollar bill into the machine that spits out the tickets. The attendant finally had to come over and push the button for her, hand her the ticket, and told her she could pay when she left.

Or the lady in Taco Bell that asked for her tacos without mayonaisse.

noeyedeer
September 2, 2008, 09:22 PM
And one pound of water makes how many pounds of steam?

Evenflo76
September 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
(Question: What movie was that line from?)

Trading Places...:D

.cheese.
September 2, 2008, 10:27 PM
And one pound of water makes how many pounds of steam?

Is this a conservation of mass question, or a question about PSI?

Stevie-Ray
September 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
Maybe he had the Glock 7Is that that porcelain gun that doesn't show up on security devices and costs more than you make in a month?:D

akodo
September 2, 2008, 11:31 PM
okay that guy was a real moron.

It is also easy to get good ideas of how to interact hours after, how about this one.

Look, some of these ammos are known by a dozen different names. Some people call it 9-by-19, some call it 9mm luger, some call it 9mm parabellum, or just 9 para. It is possible some companies even call it 9 smith and wesson (which isn't technically a lie) so maybe whoever sold it to you was showing off by stating a real obscure name for it.

See, now he isn't wrong, AND blame is switched to some other guy.

evan price
September 3, 2008, 02:52 AM
Don't forget the bag of squelch.
When I was an auto mechanic we would send people to the store for camber oil.. we've got plenty of CASTOR oil, no CAMBER oil...

I also worked at Japanese plants, and kept odd tools, so I was the guy who usually spoiled the fun when the other guys would send a newbie out for a metric crescent wrench- I have a H.I.T. TOOLS 200MM crescent wrench...marked as such.

Walkalong
September 3, 2008, 08:31 AM
somewhere there is a village , with its idiot all over the side of expired milk cartonsReminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers.

"Your villiage called. They want their idiot back"

With those folks, you just have to quit, and hope they figure it out. You just can not help some people.

CNYCacher
September 3, 2008, 08:59 AM
Sounds like the same kind of idiot that puts E-85 in a non-FFV
Or those people who think Flex-Fuel vehicles are something new and special, that didn't exist before "Flex-Fuel" became a tailgate badge and a marketing tool.

ShunZu
September 3, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thought this pic would be appropriate :)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee194/ShunZu/Smile_wait-for-flash.jpg

BruceRDucer
September 3, 2008, 09:19 AM
I've enjoyed this topic very much in the last week.

The same thing happened to me at Wal-Mart some time back. Some KNOW-IT-ALL was trying to tell me that there was no such thing as a Smith & Wesson Glock. Go figger!

:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what: (((( ducks )))

/

Wopasaurus
September 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hey, that's not so bad. I once convinced a co-worker that King Diamond was Neil Diamond's brother.

Admittedly his, ah, misunderstanding was at least half my fault.

Well... I can see how that would be a common misunderstanding... Their singing voices are so similar...

*sigh* ;)

plainsbilly
September 3, 2008, 01:01 PM
dont forget the lead chisel or the aluminum magnet:neener:and last but not least the infamous pipe stretcher:evil:

Tarvis
September 3, 2008, 02:20 PM
You really can't fix stupid. I was talking to a guy I had just met, he was thinking about having me load him some ammo for his 30-06.
Dialog:
Me: What kind of rifle is it?
Him: It's a Winchester model 70 Springfield in 30-06
Me: Is it a Winchester or a Springfield?
Him: It's a Winchester Springfield. It's both.
Me: Hmm, I've never heard of anything like that, how old is it?
Him: I bought it 10 years ago.
Me: Are you sure it's not a Winchester mod 70 in 30-06 Springfield?
Him: Yeah, I'm pretty sure.

Gun knowledge seems to be easy to come by I guess. Just like the guy selling AR fold up sights was telling me that BUIS makes a good back up sight. He ain't never heard of no acronym before.

mr.72
September 3, 2008, 02:24 PM
I bet the guy has a S&W Sigma 9mm, which is relatively often referred to by gun bubbas as a "Smith and Wesson Glock".

Maybe the 16 has to do with the magazine capacity.

However I would say the OP was not exactly skilled at the art of argument or persuasion. No matter. But at the Wal Mart ammo counter is not the place to try and antagonize someone who is likely just making an honest mistake. I know you just thought you were trying to help but simply, arguing about what kind of gun he has is kind of a moot point. Simply saying "9mm Smith and Wesson is not a normal ammo designation, but there are a lot of Smith and Wesson guns that take standard 9mm ammo". I mean, odds are nobody with a .380 or a .40 is going to come in asking for 9mm. Has S&W ever even made a 9x18 pistol?

But frankly the only good advice for the guy would be to just say "9mm standard ammo is probably what you are looking for, but you should go check the manual or stamping on the side of your particular pistol to be sure before trying to use any ammo."

Last thing you want is to talk the guy into buying some 9x19 and then finding out that it's a poly Bersa .380 and it kabooms on him. Wrong ammo in the gun can be dangerous. There is no good solution other than encouraging him to double check his own gun.

I kind of agree, anyone who is so obviously not knowledgeable about guns may well be a recent convert. Nice going making him feel like an idiot and then posting it on the internet.

CountGlockula
September 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
Classic.

Scoupe
September 3, 2008, 02:48 PM

I got one of the GFX interns to go ask the house engineer for cartridge of blue pixels for my monitor. I thought the engineer was gonna suffocate laughing.

atblis
September 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
Metric Hammers.

Tarvis
September 3, 2008, 03:04 PM
Here's a question: Is there a good/effective way to tell somebody that you know what you're talking about when it comes to guns without sounding like a mall ninja? I mean, I'm not gonna tell someone I know I'm right because I'm a senior member of THR or anything. So how do you tell someone that the gun knowledge you have is far superior to theirs without sounding like them? ("them" of course referring to the guy that told you he has a S&W Glock 16)

Bufford t. Justice
September 3, 2008, 03:12 PM
:eek:What's scary is somebody thought this guy wise enough to carry a gun and issued a ccw.:eek:

jim147
September 3, 2008, 03:22 PM
:banghead:How did we all miss it.
It's gecko45's dad.

larry_minn
September 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
While the orig story was funny. I am amazed that none of the posters here EVER got caught in the "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" They never started a new job/career/hobby/etc where there were well known (to those involved) "truths" that the new guy didn't know.

Lets see Glock has a .40 S&W so this guy buys the 9mm Glock and THINKS it must also be "S&W" since the .40 was... (Yes it wouldn't have hurt if he would have admitted "maybe it is only 9mm") Thing is most guys (esp that post here) want everyone to believe they were born knowing the model numbers/calibers/volicities/cap/accuracy of any gun made in last 75yrs.
BTW regards E-85. When they have (open houses/promotions) for E-85 if its where I will be going I put E-85 into my pickup (that is not flex fuel) :)
First time the "rep" came running over "Sir you need a flex fuel truck to run E-85" I assured him it was ok. "If you replace gas lines with Stainless steel braided/the connections with ........" He was amazed and walked off. I then put E-85 (26 gallons) into a 30 gallon drum. I also put 6 gallons in each fuel tank (then filled with regular/E-10%)
See this truck is approved for E-20 (thats 20% and normal gas in MN is E-10 So I was slightly over % but not much. I then put the 26gal in a tank and put 250 gallons of E-10. See during the promotion E-85 was $1.40 cheaper then gas. (this was before gas went up so dang high as well. it was $.85 a gallon for E-85... ) Truck has 108k miles on it (15k since then)
So you CAN burn E-85 in non flex in limited amounts. I did plan/did change fuel filter after tanks on truck dry. (it tends to clean the crap out of tanks/fuel lines but filter actually "seemed" ok.
I would NOT suggest running strait E-85 in car not set up for it. (I do know some people who do and none seem to have any problems) IMO it is too dry,lack of lube, hard on seals, burns slightly hotter for me to want to attempt that.

another fun thought. I love the folks that say a .38+p is cats wiskers but think the 9mm is a wimpy waste of time. IIRC the 9mm is a .355" bullet of anywhere from 90-147 grains (common loads) at around 1000fps.
The .38 is a .357" (thats TWO ONE-THOUSANDS of a inch larger) again bullet weight of 90-158 grain being common with speeds in upper 850fps.
(both have much heavier/lighter as well as faster/slower loads available but on average I don't think I am too far off) :)

The real point (if there is one) is we all have our areas we know "something" about. The OP tried to help out another person. Some people don't want to be helped. (and send me some blinker fluid as the left blinker seems to be sticking)

Franksterm1
September 3, 2008, 04:10 PM
the left metric adjustable wrench. One foggy morning at Graf I told the same Private to go to the tower and have the 1SG turn on the range fans to blow the fog off the range. He came back about 10 minutes later and said "Top said he'd do it right away and he needs see you in the tower". When I got there I did pushups until Top was tired, but he was smiling.

.cheese.
September 3, 2008, 04:16 PM
mr.72 says:

But at the Wal Mart ammo counter is not the place to try and antagonize someone who is likely just making an honest mistake.

followed by

However I would say the OP was not exactly skilled at the art of argument or persuasion.

followed by

Nice going making him feel like an idiot and then posting it on the internet.

Argument? Antagonize? Making him feel like an idiot?

At no point did I call him any names. I was polite at all times.... and I was trying to help him. I guess I'm guilty of posting it to the internet afterwards, but it was too bizarre not to.

Bufford t. Justice
September 3, 2008, 04:16 PM
"When I got there I did pushups until Top was tired, but he was smiling."
Sounds about right.:p

brassdog
September 3, 2008, 04:44 PM
My favorite is from my wife. It seems as a child she had a devious streak for earning ice cream money in the third grade. She would go around selling litle ziploc bags of dehydrated water to the second graders. All you had to do was add water!:)

JTW Jr.
September 3, 2008, 07:37 PM
Nice going making him feel like an idiot

in case you hadn't notice , the future darwin award winner brought that on himself with:
It's a Smith and Wesson Glock.

Dont worry though , the guy eventually gave up on finding his ammo and went to the electronics department in search of a DVD rewinder and strings for his air guitar.

;)

BruceRDucer
September 3, 2008, 08:20 PM
I kind of agree, anyone who is so obviously not knowledgeable about guns may well be a recent convert. Nice going making him feel like an idiot and then posting it on the internet.---Mr. 72

Thanks. At least somebody agrees that I was right.

It was in fact a Smith & Wesson Oil Glock, and all I really wanted was some 40MM ammo for it until that guy humiliated me! :mad::mad::mad::what:

((((((ducks)))))

/

brigadier
September 3, 2008, 08:35 PM
Oh, people like that are actually not that bad. They just need a little friendly break in. I know some pretty sharp gun guys who started out that way.
It just takes someone skilled in this to ease them out of their arrogance and rebuild their brain correctly without the ego for boundary.
The guy who thinks the Black Talon was meant to kill cops and starts screaming obscenities at you when you tell and prove him wrong is the guy you need to watch out for.
The situation in the store most likely would have gone allot differently if he had his gun with him.
Last time I ran in to a situation like that, the guy followed me around like a puppy dog afterwords and eventually became the guy who is pumping some sense in to newbies.
Again, the guy who starts cussing at you over being disproved about a less obvious misjudgment is the guy you really need to worry about. It's the hot heads who hold on to their ego for dear life and it's easier for them to do so when defending a less obvious mistake.
Guys like the Wal Mart guy are the most impressionable and easy to educate once they crack, and cracking them isn't all that hard. If I were you, I'd try making a new friend if you see him again. You'll probably prevent a shooting accident and find yourself with a good new shooting buddy in the process.

TRGRHPY
September 3, 2008, 09:36 PM
I wonder if he found the ammo he was looking for?

What state lists the actual firearm SN on your carry permit? Or was that just some bs he was spouting?

mr.72
September 3, 2008, 11:40 PM
I have seen quite a few references on gun boards and in reviews referring to the S&W Sigma as a "Smith and Wesson Glock". To know that this is not a literal, factual designation requires you to know what a Glock is to begin with, and to know that the Sigma is remarkably similar. However if you have no real idea what a Glock is, but you have heard some people refer to a gun as a "Glock" and you recognize Smith and Wesson as a brand name for guns, then it may be perfectly reasonable to presume that when someone on a gun board refers to your gun as a "Smith and Wesson Glock", they could be calling it by its correct name.

I think a lot of gun owners come off as elitists or jerks quite by accident. They just don't realize that people who didn't grow up around guns do not have the same set of experiences or way of thinking as they do, so in my experience, they can sometimes unintentionally wind up really alienating new gun owners.

Poor East Texan
September 3, 2008, 11:54 PM
Been a while since I LMAO so hard!!!

There's some people you just can't reach.

brigadier
September 3, 2008, 11:59 PM
I wonder if he found the ammo he was looking for?

Though they never used that name, S&W DID make a 9mm round. It was not listed as "9mm S&W" though. It was listed as: ".38 S&W"

TCB in TN
September 4, 2008, 12:06 AM
problem is is he needed to use a id-10T wrench to measure his bore properly I think treo

Sounds like dude was beaten with the thing already! :what:

Never had an argument like that, but have listened to a couple. Possibly the best coming in a little gun shop outside Orlando where a particularly tacticool customer was lecturing on the finer points of the AK47 sniper rifle and how great they shot on the 1000 yard range! :rolleyes: I mentioned that most of the long distance shooters I knew used bolt guns in .308 or similar and he gave a wonderful breakdown on how the AK round (7.62 x 39) had better ballistics! Another guy in the shop tried to set him straight but it was quickly apparent that he was just "out gunned" in this particular discussion!

Blackbeard
September 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
I think you missed an opportunity to become THE 9mm S&W connection in town. Can't get these at Wal-Mart, man!

Of course they'd bear a striking resemblence to WWB 9mm, with a different package and a $50 price tag for 50 rounds.

Tarvis
September 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
Oh, people like that are actually not that bad. They just need a little friendly break in..
How many times do you have to mention that there is no cartridge called 9mm S&W and no pistol (literally) called a S&W Glock before he listens? We were all there at one point in our lives, but when someone told you something did you immediately write it off as nonsense and tell them the "truth" or did you listen and have a conversation?

evan price
September 4, 2008, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah, regarding E85:

Right before cold weather, I run my Jeep empty almost, then put in 5 gallons of E85 and 16 gallons of E10.
Cleans the crud out of the injectors, and it clears the water buildup out of the system for winter. Better than using Drygas. Why pay extra for drygas, when you can actually spend less on fuel for the same effect?

It used to start hard due to a sticking backflow valve in the fuel pump letting the pressure drain back to the tank when you shut it off. A few tanks of my alco-blend and it cleared right up.

Oh, and 250,000 miles and counting on the original 4.0 motor. MPG ranges from 16-19 depending on season.

bogie
September 4, 2008, 12:54 AM
Sometimes the ammo is right, but it's wrong...

Ran into a guy at sight in day a while back - he had some sorta semi-auto hunting rifle. About all I remember is that it wasn't a Browning... and that it was a .30-06...

And he was having problems getting it to shoot. IIRC, the box of ammo he had, fresh from the store, was 220 grain factory loads - maybe 200, but I wanna say 220... Big noses on those suckers. Just would not chamber (probably a good thing) because I'm guessing that the jam point with 'em was likely interesting.

I told him to go find some 165-180 grain loads and that they'd kill Bambi just as well, because they're faster.

Jamie C.
September 4, 2008, 01:08 AM
Y'all need to quit with this "you can't fix 'stupid'" stuff, because, you most certainly can fix it.

You just have to hit it really, really hard, and maybe multiple times. ;)

But in the end, you can fix it. Both Capt. Murphy and Prof. Darwin say so. :D

J.C.

Realbigo
September 4, 2008, 01:13 AM
My favorite was the new guy who was sent for 200 feet of flight line. He was gone all day, and pulled in right before we secured for the evening. Driving a semi and a flat bed loaded w/400 ft of pierce steel plates used to patch a runway stolen from the USAF. He told them he was Navy General, and they turned it right over.

.cheese.
September 4, 2008, 07:51 PM
My favorite was the new guy who was sent for 200 feet of flight line. He was gone all day, and pulled in right before we secured for the evening. Driving a semi and a flat bed loaded w/400 ft of pierce steel plates used to patch a runway stolen from the USAF. He told them he was Navy General, and they turned it right over.

I would imagine he's in federal prison now?

KiltedClaymore
September 4, 2008, 08:05 PM
on what charges (other than impersonating a superior officer)? if he's in the military, and he "stole" it from the military (USAF) FOR USE BY THE MILITARY, is it stealing?

Blues Brother
September 4, 2008, 08:45 PM
OMG!!! LOL!!! THIS STORY IS HILARIOUS!!!!

Cheese, your a saint for putting up with that idiot that long.

the scary part is, that idiot owns a pistol. he is part of the group of morons that give responsible gun owners a bad rap.

Blues Brother
September 4, 2008, 08:52 PM
Oh man, I am still laughing about this moron with the Smith and Wesson Glock.

I am going to use that one!!!! thats just too funny to let that go. thanks for sharing that Cheese.

Kind of Blued
September 5, 2008, 02:10 AM
He sounds like the new guy at my catering company that I had searching through dry storage for a half-hour trying to find some "left-handed tongs".

KiltedClaymore
September 5, 2008, 08:23 AM
why does everyone like to mess with the new guy?! now, i agree if someone is making an @$$ of themself, by all means mess with them. but if they are just ignorant because they are new, dont hate, educate!

SCKimberFan
September 5, 2008, 08:56 AM
KiltedClaymore

He was trying to edumicate (yes I meant to say that) him, but the moron wouldn't listen to anything he was saying.

Grey_Mana
September 5, 2008, 11:20 AM
Reminds me of a time when I gave somebody directions, he drove off, shows up again half an hour later and asks for directions again. Keeps telling me I'm wrong, and that he wants to take special nonexistant short-cuts he has heard about to get where he wants to go.

greenr18
September 5, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'd just like to point out that this WAS AT WALMART, which last time I checked was a hang out for trailer trash who, in my opinion, don't exactly tend to be the most educated or intelligent people. (That's not to say EVERYONE who goes to Walmart is trailer trash, however.)

mr.72
September 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'd just like to point out that this WAS AT WALMART, which last time I checked was a hang out for trailer trash

wow. just wow.

greenr18
September 5, 2008, 12:03 PM
Wow yourself buddy, it's true :neener: I was merely saying that's the kind of person he was probably dealing with. I'd also like to reiterate I said "That's not to say EVERYONE who goes to Walmart is trailer trash, however."

hhersh
September 5, 2008, 12:21 PM
The posts you are making are definitely not the " High Road " There is no stigma attached to being a Walmart regular shopper, no matter what you think of their intelligence....:fire:

Geronimo45
September 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
Greenr, don't know about your neck of the woods - but around here, practically everybody goes to Wal-Mart. Doctors, lawyers, construction workers, drywall folk... you see 'em all there.

greenr18
September 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
Guess it's only like that here then :p

bogie
September 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
on what charges (other than impersonating a superior officer)? if he's in the military, and he "stole" it from the military (USAF) FOR USE BY THE MILITARY, is it stealing?

If you are an officer, it is considered "expedient procurement." If you're enlisted, it's called "scrounging."

And it is more or less permitted. As long as one doesn't get caught.

Creativity is rewarded.

And almost every unit has a guy who is good at it.

Franksterm1
September 5, 2008, 02:27 PM
We used to call it an undocumented interunit equipment transfer. If it stayed in the system it wasn't considered theft.

The Deer Hunter
September 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hey I guess when people "know" what they are talking about they "know" what they are talking about.

Rustynuts
September 5, 2008, 07:37 PM
dont forget the lead chisel or the aluminum magnet
Jokes on you! You can make a magnet out of aluminum if it's an electro-magnet, AND they make magnets FOR aluminum, except they repel instead of attract. They're called eddy-current magnets.

SCKimberFan
September 5, 2008, 07:40 PM
How about the left handed screw-driver?

bcp
September 5, 2008, 07:46 PM
How about the left handed screw-driver?

https://secure.leftys.com.au/html/products/miscproducts/mm12.jpg

Poor East Texan
September 5, 2008, 07:50 PM
Why just a short while ago I used a left handed air impact wrench.

To tell the truth it's ambi......

When I was a pup at the chemical company where I first worked after school, I was told (when transferring half the stuff from one drum to another empty) don't let that overflow. And by golly I stood there watching!

Scoupe
September 5, 2008, 09:32 PM
why does everyone like to mess with the new guy?! now, i agree if someone is making an @$$ of themself, by all means mess with them. but if they are just ignorant because they are new, dont hate, educate!

There is a long long history of hazing new and/or prospective members of a group. Fraternities are probably what come to mind, but you'll find the same in military units or job classifications today. There was also a strong hazing tradition in many trades. I knew old printers that went through hellish apprenticeships to keep their jobs. The end result is a strong bond among the group that didn't wash out.

Realbigo
September 6, 2008, 12:45 AM
There is a long long history of hazing new and/or prospective members of a group. Fraternities are probably what come to mind, but you'll find the same in military units or job classifications today. There was also a strong hazing tradition in many trades. I knew old printers that went through hellish apprenticeships to keep their jobs. The end result is a strong bond among the group that didn't wash out.
That's how I always looked at it. A lot of what was done to me at my first units would be considered hazing now, but I'm none the worse for wear, from any of it. As a matter of fact, I still have my "Axe Qual" cover in the box w/ my first chevrons, range coach board, first set of orders and the like. The young Jarhead in question turned out to be a pretty good Marine, and a Damn Good Scrounger. As anyone who has ever been in knows, "official Channels" rarely work as well as they should and you often need someone w/ the innate ability to find things and relocate them as needed to the more deserving. In '91-92 when the Army and airforce insisted that the CNO pass orders requiring Marines to begin wearing Name tapes, a big part of the reason was that since the Army, airforce and Navy couldn't be bothered to assist them w/ their Billeting, messing and transportation needs at the begining of Desert Shield, the Marine Corps was(as they had been many times in the past) forced to beg, borrow, and steal what was needed to complete the mission. As a brand new USMC private, I was often involved in these midnight requisitioning operations, and after stealing from the Army and airforce cities that popped up in a matter of days, I feel no shame what so ever at the small comforts I took for myself and my fellow Marines in our little shanties . "We the Unwilling led by the Unqualified have been the impossible for so long, for the Ungrateful, that we are now qualified to do anything with Nothing!".

JTW Jr.
September 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
I tell the noobs to install the software and test it and give me "
a full list of specific unknown problems we might encounter "

.cheese.
September 7, 2008, 07:15 PM
Realbigo, KiltedClaymore, and Bogie -

I didn't realize the individual whose actions were being discussed was in the military. I assumed this was a civilian stealing from the military...... but even if I had caught that part, I would have still probably made an erroneous assumption thinking that it was a crime. I didn't realize it was somewhat routine.

<---- has never been in the military.

I always love learning new stuff. So thanks for the correction. :)

Also, in general to those who think I was trying to pick on the guy - don't get the wrong idea. I really genuinely was trying to help and was polite throughout the entire event. I posted the story as it was somewhat funny and bizarre, but also because I will admit I walked away a little nervous that this guy knew so little but was claiming to have a permit.

In his defense, I didn't even think of the possibility of the weapon in question being a Sigma which seems highly likely at this point. You hardly ever hear about Sigmas and it seems like the whole concept was one of S&W's biggest failures. Despite this, it's still somewhat scary that the conversation went the way it did with somebody claiming to be a CWP holder, but the Sigma possibility along with the possibility of him owning old S&W brand ammo makes the confusion somewhat understandable. I just would prefer that people who have CWPs know at least a minimal amount about guns such as:

A) What caliber it is in
B) What manufacturer made it

My father who didn't know squat about guns when he bought his home protection gun, and still knows very little about guns at least knew that he had a Smith and Wesson revolver chambered in .357 magnum. That kind of basic knowledge and capacity for understanding to me is essential for people who carry weapons. I don't expect everybody with a CWP to know how to detail strip a gun, or make repairs, or replace parts - nor do I expect them to know the small differences between different ammunitions or different types of ammunition (FMJ vs HP). That kind of knowledge would be great and helpful, but fortunately gun store salesmen can often help with those who are unfamiliar with it.

The concept of somebody claiming to have a CWP, yet not truly knowing the manufacturer of the gun or the caliber it is in - seems to me to be ludicrous and scary. All it required to know those bits of information was to read the engraving in the gun's slide.

Anyways, that's my take. Nonetheless, even realizing how odd the situation was, I genuinely tried to help the guy and had he not been so stubborn, perhaps I could have successfully shared my limited knowledge of guns (but apparently more extensive than his own) with him and helped him both in the short term and long term.

Owens
September 7, 2008, 07:32 PM
These are not aimed at anyone in particular, but this thread reminded me of a few quips on the concept of stupid.

Some people just don't know and aren't willing to learn or be taught. An old saying...to learn, one must first want to be taught.

Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together.

He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier.

When his IQ reaches 50, he should sell.

Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.

If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.

If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you'd get change.

Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled.

He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle.

Ben86
September 9, 2008, 01:28 AM
The sad thing is this guy will never find the ammo he is looking for. :)

KC0QGL
September 9, 2008, 02:16 AM
Brain hurts now, lost I.Q. points, need to hold gun.

Being a HAM I get the same thing about radios ALL THE TIME!!! I always explaine that "Your $20 FRS
will not work with my $800 Motorola MTS2000." If anyone has any questions why they won't work together just PM me.

mljdeckard
September 9, 2008, 07:19 PM
I just emailed this story to everyone I know. (At least everyone I know who knows more about guns than the guy in the store.)

KiltedClaymore
September 9, 2008, 09:04 PM
Realbigo, KiltedClaymore, and Bogie -

I didn't realize the individual whose actions were being discussed was in the military. I assumed this was a civilian stealing from the military...... but even if I had caught that part, I would have still probably made an erroneous assumption thinking that it was a crime. I didn't realize it was somewhat routine.

<---- has never been in the military.

it's all good, cause i haven't been in either! :D

i just learned it by listening to stories told by older relations who served.

Archie
September 10, 2008, 12:20 AM
The ignorant (in the precise meaning of the word) gentleman is somewhat pitiable.

As an 'adult' who has probably made his own way in the world for some several years now, he is probably just a little reluctant to rely upon the word of a total stranger against his own memory. He is wrong of course, or at least confused, but still has the normal ego of most adult men.

Just curious, .cheese., how much younger than him are you? Could he have possibly looked upon you - wrongly - as a 'smart kid'?

Gads. Hopefully he went home, checked the firearm in question and mumbled an apology to you.

I once knew a fellow who liked guns but didn't know much about them. He had several handguns and kept a sample live round for each to take to the store when he bought ammo. He was smart enough to know what he didn't know, and in his world, taking a couple samples with him was simpler than memorizing the names. One of his handguns was a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Could you imagine the argument had he requested a box of .30 Carbine ammo for his pistol?

On the other hand, I know - work with still in fact - a fellow who made possibly the silliest claim I've ever heard. He claimed to have been once in "the Army" in his homeland. His issue rifle was an M16 in .30-06. Yup.

Being caught off guard, I blurted out no such weapon exists. He, of course wanted to argue. I explained how the M16 rifle has an action much too short to accept a cartridge or magazine for such cartridge. His reply was they were modified. To which I pointed out that removes it from being an M16. Making such modifications to the action, barrel and gas system disqualifies it from being an M16 - that designation is a rather specific bit of machinery with rather specific dimensions and characteristics.

He kept insisting - and even asked me how I could make such a statement without having seen the weapon in question. I simply said, "I haven't seen all the Ford automobiles in the world, either, but there are no Ford Cadillacs."

He still didn't get it. Oh, well.

halfbreed808
September 10, 2008, 02:02 AM
Go get that guys info. I can sell him some of my Smith & Wesson 9mm, but it's real expensive cause it's so rare. $500 for a box of 100. If he buys 10 boxes I'll throw in a free bridge of his choice anywhere in the US.:neener::D

If you enjoyed reading about "You just can't fix stupid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!