Cool Historical Photo

PDA

DRZinn
September 1, 2008, 10:41 PM
http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/iudl/archives/cushman/screen/P05734.jpg

Here (http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do;jsessionid=E98C99218F8EBD31955025D38EB89F62?query=state%3A%22California%22+AND+city%3A%22Los+Angeles%22&page=1&pagesize=20&display=thumbcap&action=browse&pnum=P05734) in context.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cool Historical Photo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
September 1, 2008, 10:48 PM
Rifle Range learn to shoot. That is so cool

Kind of Blued
September 1, 2008, 10:48 PM
My my how things have changed... for the worse.

RecoilRob
September 1, 2008, 10:50 PM
Heavens!! There are CHILDREN right in front of the Rifle Range! Oh...the horror. Surely they were warped for life.

DRZinn
September 1, 2008, 11:09 PM
Did I mention that's Los Angeles?

thunderstorm
September 1, 2008, 11:11 PM
22 Automatic rifles!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cool!

armoredman
September 1, 2008, 11:32 PM
Awesome!

contenderman
September 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
Nice. Brings back memories.

Now let's turn the clock ahead to the present .....

Same scene, except the range is long gone due to the good works of the "Liberal" crowd. However the "money to loan" operations are still there and thriving in our present day economy. If fact what was the range is now yet another loan operation sticking it to the folks that can least afford the massive fees and interest rates.

Moral of this (if there is one) the "powers to be" feel much safer (especially during tough times) when the populace does not have access to guns.

:banghead:

rondog
September 2, 2008, 12:35 AM
I wonder how the ventilation was.....I took PAL .22 rifle training at the local PD indoor range, and their ventilation sucked, if there was any. I still remember the crud in my throat from all that smoke. But that's a great concept, only photo I've ever seen like that. Def. unique for the day.

DRZinn
September 2, 2008, 12:49 AM
Checking Google Street View, that building to the far right, that you can just barely see, is still there but the rest is parking.

Gator
September 2, 2008, 01:50 AM
And its right by three pawn shops, where deals on .22s might have been found.:D

Aaryq
September 2, 2008, 02:18 AM
Where da hood at?

ArfinGreebly
September 2, 2008, 02:30 AM
What's the newest car in that picture?

1951? 1953?

Do we have the actual date (year) of that photo?

ants
September 2, 2008, 02:31 AM
Amazing. The vehicle traffic is actually stopping for pedestrians in the middle of the street!
This isn't real, it's Photoshop, isn't it?

1951? 1953?

Do we have the actual date (year) of that photo?
Click the link. It says February 1952.

Colt46
September 2, 2008, 10:06 AM
Maybe Korea, but that was a police action.
Since we've declared war on Drugs, Poverty, Terror and(in some cities) guns things are a little differerent.

Duke Junior
September 2, 2008, 10:15 AM
Amazing. The vehicle traffic is actually stopping for pedestrians in the middle of the street!
This isn't real, it's Photoshop, isn't it?

California has been very strict on stopping for pedestrians for at least 60 years.
Even today it's a quick way to get a ticket if you don't.Californians grow up being kind to pedestrians.It's one of the good things in life there.

pbearperry
September 2, 2008, 10:30 AM
I wonder if it was wedged in between all those money lending stores for a purpose?

koginam
September 2, 2008, 11:59 AM
I remember when nearly every carnival had a shooting booth. I used to buy my ammo and guns at the barber shop and hardware store. Each year the third grade class would go to the local police station on a field trip, we went through the jail and went into a cell, then went into the basement and a officer demonstrated the pistol and shotgun, then if a kid wanted to the officer would let you shoot the S&W model 10 while he held your hands in his.
That day was in 1950's and still one of my best memories.

feedthehogs
September 2, 2008, 12:36 PM
Looks like the range is 7 shots for a quarter if I make it out correctly.

Fairly expensive back then. That would explain the pawn shops.

MT GUNNY
September 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
Money Loan, Pawn Shops every other store.

Golden Hound
September 2, 2008, 03:25 PM
Back then "automatic" really meant semi-automatic...the Browning Automatic Rifle...not actually automatic, but was for the people who were used to bolt actions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cool Historical Photo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!