Taking the plunge

PDA

VetteV12
September 2, 2008, 01:04 AM
I've always been an auto guy and have carried my 1911 for a couple years now, but I think it's time for a change. I've been doing a lot of research and have decided on the S&W 686 3" 7shot for my new CCW. My question to you guy/gals that carry revolvers (BTW this will be my first revolver EVER) is:
Do you have any problems with the hammer getting snagged or anything like that?
If so, is there a hammer shroud to solve this issue? (I've been looking but can't find one)
Is there any problems with the rear sights getting snagged, and is there a fix for it (like a rounded one)?
Finally, what are some good tips for a first time revolver owner?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking the plunge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Loomis
September 2, 2008, 01:09 AM
Extreme duty fixed sights from cylinder and slide.

Hammer shroud from W.W. Waller & Son.

Or just get the hammer bobbed.(chopped off)

Elvishead
September 2, 2008, 01:18 AM
Somebody made a shrouded grip for the J and K frames at one time, but they may be hard to find.

James T Thomas
September 4, 2008, 07:55 PM
VV:

You will feel much more adept with the revolver if you find a competent instructor to teach you the correct and simple way of manually reloading the wheelie.

Even if you will use speed loaders, you will avoid much awkwardness if you take the time to reload slowly but correctly until it becomes familiar to you.

The other thing I would recommend is also getting instructions in double action trigger manipulation. Some call it control. For that reason I would recommend to you a manufacturer who's pistols can be dry fired without damage. Double action shooting is a challenge, but when you accomplish it, return to your auto and see if you haven't improved your accuracy by the new motor skill you have aquired.

B36
September 4, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hard to find but sometimes available on one of the auction sites.

Will not fit my L frame round butt 44 specials.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking the plunge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!