MP340 for Personal Protection

PDA

kkebs
September 2, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have been reading a lot about the subject of a j frame in .357 for PP. There
are a lot of folks who comment on the brutal recoil of the MP340 with ....357
mags and I agree, but suggest that for personal protection shot placement is
most important. Whats wrong with a .38 or +p for the first round so recovery is at an acceptable level with the 2nd shot a .357 to stop the threat. Any thoughts on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "MP340 for Personal Protection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DAdams
September 2, 2008, 06:27 PM
Whats wrong with a .38 or +p for the first round so recovery is at an acceptable level with the 2nd shot a .357 to stop the threat. Any thoughts on this.

Hey there kkebs.... how you doing.

Why not indeed. Just make sure your practice sequence incorporates what you carry.

If you plan on the first round standard pressue Buffalo Bore (20C) and the next round Speer Gold Dot for Short Barrel Plus P 135 gr, and the next round Buffalo Bore 158 gr 20A Plus P and the next SGDFSB 135 gr .357 and the next 158 grain full house .357....well you get the idea kind of a ramp-up to last nuclear .357 round :D. Any of those rounds will work....but will you have the cylinder lined up properly, will you practice with the same sequence.
Good in theory.

Then go do the Old Fuff, five, five, five drill until you can pull it all off no matter what you carry.

911Boss
September 2, 2008, 08:29 PM
Everything I have come across suggests that recoil, flash, and blast really don't register much in an actual gun battle.

Whatever gun I happen to be carrying, and I have several I choose from, I want it to be 100% should I need to use it. That means loaded to capacity and with full power loads.

I am of the mind that I want the best possible chance of the first shot being the last shot. If it isn't, then I want the "next" shot to be the last shot. I want every round I send at the threat to carry the greatest possible potential to end the confrontation. I don't think the cylinder of my 5 shot snubbie is the place to gradually escalate until "enough" power is used.

I practice with .38's for cost/comfort issues. But I always end with a cylinder or 2 of my carry .357 loads. I shoot frequently enough that I am used to the gun/ammo combination and can control and put the shots where they need to be (which is the primary concern before caliber/capacity issues).

If I couldn't consistently shoot well with .357 loads, than I would carry .38's or .38 +P's until I learned to control the .357. I don't think mixing them up is a good idea though.

If you enjoyed reading about "MP340 for Personal Protection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!