Strips or Loaders?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 2, 2008, 02:53 PM
Are you a speed strip or speed loader kind of guy or gal?

I like strips because being thin, they lie flat in a pocket, etc. - easier to conceal. and 99.9999% chance, you won't need more shots that those already in your gun, so the speed of the speed loaders is just not justified over the bulkiness.

If you enjoyed reading about "Strips or Loaders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
george29
September 2, 2008, 03:16 PM
Don't like the rattle of speedloaders, also take up more room and they have a tendency to shake loose if not kept in some type of poich which I hate. I currently use a 6 round plastic wallet.

rswartsell
September 2, 2008, 03:21 PM
HKS Speedloaders, familiarity reasons.

simpleguy
September 2, 2008, 03:29 PM
Speed strips, bought them through the local law enforcement supply store. Funny thing is, they hadn't heard of them.......I LOVE EM.

novaDAK
September 2, 2008, 05:44 PM
When carrying I normally carry either one or two speed strips, or have a cartridge slide (nylon, but works great) on my belt that holds another reload, or both.

loneviking
September 2, 2008, 06:29 PM
Speed Loaders. They are much faster than strips. Bulky? You're kidding--right? I just toss 'em into my coat or pants pocket without a pouch. The pouch is what makes them bulky. And loose? Something is wrong with your speed loader. I use HKS and mine never come loose.

Gator
September 2, 2008, 06:59 PM
I like strips because being thin, they lie flat in a pocket, etc. - easier to conceal. and 99.9999% chance, you won't need more shots that those already in your gun...

You got it! :D

Purple95
September 2, 2008, 10:54 PM
I use, carry, and train with both.

Speed strips and speed loaders are tools. Use the right tool for the job.

I carry a strip in my strong hand back pocket. This is used for "topping off" the cylinder if time and circumstances dictate and allow. For full reloads, the strip is slower for me than the speed loaders so.......

I carry two speed loaders. One in the strong hand front pocket under the J-frame holster and another in the strong hand cargo pocket. These are used for full reloads as rapidly as possible; the front pocket first, the cargo pocket second.

Stay safe,
dan :)

Ala Dan
September 3, 2008, 04:28 AM
Bianchi Speed-Strips~! :scrutiny: ;) :cool:

Brian Williams
September 3, 2008, 08:38 AM
I use both speedstrips and speedloaders along with an occasional moonclip.

nj.piney
September 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
i use a 2x2x2 belt pouch, fast reloads and it rides flat on my belt. if im wearing a coat i drop a couple of hk speedloaders in my left hand pocket . im right handed but i load the speedloaders left handed, much quicker.

Loyalist Dave
September 3, 2008, 01:45 PM
SECOND GUN! Then moonclips after that!

LD

Rexster
September 3, 2008, 03:18 PM
This is not an "either-or" thing! Speed Strips are a VERY fast way to load two rounds, but a quite slow way to load a full five or six. A speedloader is almost as fast as loading two with a Speed Strip, but of course is a complete reload. Large, bulky stocks (grips) can complicate speedloader use.

The fastest way back into action is multiple handguns, and I find it quite easy to tote multiple SP101 snubbies, or one SP101 and something bigger. I like HKS speedloaders for their durability over the Safariland loaders, and I find the twist-to-release very natrual and simple. I mostly use speedloaders with my larger sixguns, and use Speed Strips always, except on the rare occasions I am only using autopistols.

Another favorite of mine is a 2x2x2 ammo pouch. With practice, that is FAST. It beats a Speed Strip for a complete reload, but of course does not beat a speddloader.

Striker
September 3, 2008, 04:12 PM
Like Purple 95, I use, carry, and train with both.

I prefer Safariland Comp I or II speedloaders carried in a Safariland splitbelt type pouch in front of my holster (which I wear just behind my right hip.) I also carry a speedstrip in Simply Rugged drop pouch worn just forward of my left hip.

Here is my Colt Agent EDC set up:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84102&stc=1&d=1220473842

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 3, 2008, 05:11 PM
Boy, I had no idea that a lot of you guys swung both ways! :D :p

308win
September 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
I use speed strips for my snubbie and speed loaders for my Model 19. I have tried one of my M19 speed loaders with my Jframe and experienced clearance issues though if I tried a speed loader made specifically for a jframe clearance might not be an issue (?).

ArchAngelCD
September 4, 2008, 04:07 AM
I use both.... And the occasional pouch too.

Purple95
September 4, 2008, 09:33 AM
Here is my Colt Agent EDC set up:

Stirker,

That's a good looking, no nonsense, rig you have there.

It's plain to see you have put considerable effort into your carry equipment. I'm sure this setup works perfectly for you. A well thought out and implemented rig such as yours combined with regular training is an excellent approach to personal defense efforts.

Your Agent and leather appear to be well used and well cared for.

Bravo!

Cheers,
dan :)

Drgong
September 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
I am more of a speed loader type, but nothing wrong with the strips. After I get my CCW I might just carry both ;)

machinisttx
September 4, 2008, 01:23 PM
Moon clips

SAWBONES
September 4, 2008, 09:05 PM
It depends upon your priorities.

I agree with the "New York reload" (BUG) concept as a first step past the primary gun, then going to reloading if necessary.

If you seriously wish to be prepared to reload your revolver with reasonable quickness and reliability, and care more about that readiness than about the convenience of a flat package (Bianchi Speedstrips), get and carry speedloaders.

Those who carry Bianchi speedstrips in preference to speedloaders have chosen convenience over genuine readiness. That's OK if that's what they really want, but anyone who's actually needed to reload a revolver fast has thrown away their "Slowstrips".

Having carried and practiced with both, I carry (Safariland Comp I) speedloaders.

SimpleIsGood229
September 4, 2008, 11:29 PM
I use speed strips for my snubbie and speed loaders for my Model 19. I have tried one of my M19 speed loaders with my Jframe and experienced clearance issues though if I tried a speed loader made specifically for a jframe clearance might not be an issue (?).That's due to the difference in physical size between the J- and K-frame cylinders.

Johnny Guest
September 5, 2008, 12:02 AM
I have tried one of my M19 speed loaders with my Jframe and experienced clearance issues . . . AND, it COULD also have something to do with the attempted use of a six-round loader to feed a five-round cylinder. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I have one HKS J-frame speedloader, but more often carry a couple of Speed Strips in my hip pocket.

HB
September 5, 2008, 12:37 AM
http://colonos-vista-del-lago.com/pancho_villa.jpg

308win
September 5, 2008, 07:57 AM
AND, it COULD also have something to do with the attempted use of a six-round loader to feed a five-round cylinder.

That's what it was! Seriously, the speed loaders I have are too bulky; I expect the speed loaders made for the Jframes are smaller in dimension (as well as capacity:D).

The speed loaders I use for the M19 are HKS and they don't really work all that well with the M19.

Evyl Robot
September 5, 2008, 11:39 AM
SECOND GUN! Then moonclips after that!

Moon clips

HB - LOL!!!

Two 7-shooters with .38 Spl +p Hydroshoks and then four extra moonclips loaded with 158-gr .357 HP's - ought to get the job done.

OK. So that's just opinion, but I am very opinionated, if that counts for anything. Currently, I only carry the one gun, and have no way to really carry reloads. I'm working on it, though.

--Michael

RandomMan
September 5, 2008, 11:46 AM
Los Dos!!

I usually opt for the following:

Speed loaders in one pocket, speed strips in a different pocket. I'm all about reloading, I figure a couple of things here are important to remember. I reload with my strong hand, if injured I can reload with my weak hand (and I do practice it). It is much easier to reload a revolver one handed, with a speed loader. It's easier to do "tactical" reloads with a speed strip. So both serve a purpose.

That said, I think I opt with the guys who say a second gun is faster. I'm usually a six-shot Colt Agent with one speed loader, and a five-shot Smith 642 with one speed loader as a backup. I often carry two speed strips as well.

-Rob

Gunner4h1r3
September 5, 2008, 12:18 PM
Depends on the gun I am carrying.

I carry two speedloaders with my Bulldog (gotta love them Silvertips) and two speed strips for my BUG, a S&W 638. Also have some loose .44 Specials in another pocket for a partial reload on the Bulldog.

If I am just carrying my 638, I carry a speedloader in the pocket opposite the gun and the strips in my back pocket.

Speedloaders for complete reloads, strips for partials.

steak-knife
September 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
It really depends.

If I'm carrying GP100 hand cannon, I use Safariland Comp 2 speedloaders because I'm already making efforts to conceal the 4" barrel, which means it's not much more effort to conceal two speedloaders (and some times a New York reload). Also, the Comp 2 is easier to use when you're fine motor skills are challenged under stress (no twisting, like on the HKS).

If I have a J-Frame in the front pocket of my shorts, than speed strips are the way to go.

By the way (giving away my age), I've also carried using "dump pouches". In essence a cartridge box on your belt that flips open and drops all 6 rounds in your hand. Back in the day, I became so proficient, that it got to the point where all 6 rounds landed in my hand properly indexed for a 2x2 loading.

dairycreek
September 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
Actually, both! No matter what your choice (strips or speed loaders) practice reloading your gun with both of them so that you are competent with each. It will pay off in the long run.

mnw42
September 5, 2008, 02:33 PM
I carry both when I'm toting my Cobra around. I'll have a speedstrip or two in my pocket and a speed loader on my belt.

http://www.docstech.com/pertinax/arms/cobra3-50.jpg

Arrogant Bastard
September 5, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have both HKS speedloaders for my 640, and speedstrips. I practice with both when I'm at the range. I load the speedloader, or speedstrip by hand, then after I shoot all five, reload the revolver from the speedloader. Definitely faster than the strips. I carry one speedloader in my left pocket, and a speedstrip in my right rear pocket, if I'm carrying the revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Strips or Loaders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!