Opinions, please

PDA

jnyork
September 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
I am the range officer and match director for my club. We shoot three time a week. I have made up my mind to get a GOOD set of electronic ear muffs, I am tired of taking off and putting on the regular muffs. I am interested in getting the highest possible Noise Reduction Rating and, since almost all of my shooting is done offhand, they need to be of a slender design. I am also interested in the best quality for the money along with long term dependability. I guess you could say I want the most bang for the buck, or in this case, the least bang for the buck.:D

I would be interested in comments from folks who have actually USED some different models and your reactions to them. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doc2rn
September 2, 2008, 07:24 PM
I personally like the full in your ear ones with noise reduction tech. You can get a good set for under $150.

JCMAG
September 2, 2008, 07:34 PM
I personally like the full in your ear ones with noise reduction tech. You can get a good set for under $150.

For this price, for this technology, I would be very interested in knowing the manufacturer and model. Not that I doubt your word -- more so that I am very pleased of it and would like to know about this product. :)

WoofersInc
September 2, 2008, 07:59 PM
The Pro Ears Dimension series carries a 33 decibel rating. This is currently the highest out there. I have the Dimension I's and love them. It has dual mics so you get stereo sound and can tell which direction the sound came from. They cut out all noise above 85 decibel but continue to let lower sounds through. Having used them during a training class I can tell you that it was really helpful to be able to still hear the instructors even with firing going on around me.

scrat
September 2, 2008, 08:05 PM
i got so tired of using ear muffs. really tired. my older son still uses his. he actually puts on his ipod head sets then puts the earmuffs over them. Teenagers what can you do. I just got tired off having sweaty ears all day long. So i purchased a whole bunch of 3m ear plugs. i actually got a good deal and got about 2000 pairs of them for 60.00. You cant beat it. put them in no more sweaty ears or pressure against your head all day. Then during a sieze fire i just pull them out a tad. Ever since then my ear muffs have been hanging in the garage

Howard Roark
September 2, 2008, 09:17 PM
Peltor makes an excellent product. Do not buy Radians. I have a pair and they are junk. They have a lot of hiss and have too much amplification.

CombatArmsUSAF
September 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
Here is the set that I use:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=103666

THese are quite nice, but the NRR is only 20. I use them on a daily basis and haven't had any issues yet.

Golden Hound
September 2, 2008, 09:49 PM
+1 for Peltor "Combat Arms" (the green-and-yellow ones.) You can get them here. (http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Combat-Arms-Earplugs-970790/dp/B000W2CPCC)

Those are all I ever use. I've never used the big earmuff type and would not want to.

basicblur
September 2, 2008, 11:00 PM
I've got Peltor 7S (http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Tactical-Hearing-Protector-970390/dp/B0007IKGB8/ref=reg_hu-wl_list-recs) myself-only complaint I might have would be they may get in the way when shooting rifle (only had 'em on the range once with the rifle, so didn't give 'em a real tryout).
No complaints AFA using on the pistol range.

I see Amazon has 'em for $117 and free shipping-cheaper than Botach Tactical or Midway ($153).
Note the 7S uses 9v battery vs AAAs of some others-I also seem to recall some were a PITA to change batteries, but no problem on these.

EDIT: Been browsing Amazon as I may be in the market for another pair of electronic muffs-I notice one reviewer said the 7S get in his way when shooting his AR-same thing I noticed my only time on the rifle range with 'em. Reviewer said Comtac model had cutouts to prevent interference, but I didn't see any Peltor Comtac models for a reasonable price!
Check Amazon's prices-I notice they're quite a bit cheaper on a few models I'm looking at.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!