Which is it?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 3, 2008, 12:37 AM
"Color case"

or

"Case color"

Hardening?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Aguila Blanca
September 3, 2008, 12:44 AM
It should be color case hardening, because it refers to (or did, originally) the mottled color that resulted from the case hardening process.

Today, a lot of what is marketed as color case hardening isn't actually a result of case hardening at all, it's just an applied finish. In fact, I think I've seen some ads in which the finish is referred to simply as "color case," which is certainly in innovative way to convey a lie without telling a lie.

Duke Junior
September 3, 2008, 12:45 AM
Which is it?
"Color case"

or

"Case color"

Color case,Regis.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=712&p=4798

Loomis
September 3, 2008, 01:20 AM
Case hardening is when a piece of steel only has it's very outer "skin" hardened. This skin is called the "case". The most basic form of case hardening(that I know of) is flame hardening. that's when you heat the surface up very hot with a flame, then cool it fast with water or oil, simply by blowing air on it.

"Color" case hardening is when the piece of metal is heated up very hot then packed in something that contains high amounts of carbon, and let cool while packed in this carbon containing material. The metal literally "soaks up" the carbon and the outer skin of the metal piece becomes hardened high carbon steel. In the process, the surface of the metal gets that multi colored swirled rainbow like sheen like you see when a really thin film of oil floats on water.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!