S&W Model 60 and 686

PDA

JeffDilla
September 3, 2008, 10:09 AM
Can someone tell me what the differences between the Model 60 and 686 are? I understand that the 60 is a small frame where the 686 is a medium frame. Does that mean a 686 would be better suited for a person with larger hands? Sorry for the noob questions. I'm still trying to learn the in's and out's. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 60 and 686" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hexidismal
September 3, 2008, 10:19 AM
Well, theres quite a few differences really. As far as hand size.. well, I don't know if that's really so important as the gun's intended purpose. The model 60 being a J frame gun is more popular in general for concealed carry.

J frame size vs. L frame size: The frame sizes of smiths from smallest to largest being J, K, L, N, X

Capacity: Model 60: 5 rounds vs. 686: 6 or 7 rounds

Most variants of the 686 have a full underlug barrel.

springfield30-06
September 3, 2008, 10:29 AM
What will be the primary use for this revolver? Are you willing to consider anything other than these two, or is this a general inquiry?

The 686 is a Medium 'L' frame, 6 round, .357 Magnum.
The 60 is a Small 'J' frame, 5 round, .357 Magnum (assuming you're talking about the newer models).

The Model 60 would be a better choice for CCW but shooting full house .357 will be a lot harsher on your hand than the 686. Since it seems that you are new to handguns, you can shoot both .38 Special & .357 Magnum out of guns chambered for .357 Mag.

I have a S&W 686-1 and it's one of my favorite, if not the favorite of mine to shoot.

JeffDilla
September 3, 2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually just got back from the gun shop and got to hold both the 60 and the 686 and the differences became quite apparent.:) Then I held the GP100. I think its going to come down to the GP100 and 686. I'm not trying to start a flamewar, it's just that both guns felt great. I haven't had the chance to shoot either yet though.

jjohnson
September 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
I can't kick on any Ruger I ever owned - but to many, they feel a little "chunky" compared to the S&W. I don't own a GP100 yet, but my 686+ (the 7 shot model) shoots like a house on fire. I'm sure the Ruger is a bit more sturdy in places where it counts - it's build like a tank. I don't think you can go wrong with either if they "feel good" in your hand.

greyling22
September 3, 2008, 01:45 PM
my ruger feels more solid, and I feel safer testing my handloads in it. my smith has a better trigger after both have had action jobs and gets shot more.

csmkersh
September 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
A bit more info on the L frame. Yes, the frame is beefier, but uses K frame grips.

ArchAngelCD
September 4, 2008, 04:13 AM
JeffDilla,
Both the GP100 and M686 are great revolvers. Both will serve you well and I would suggest buying the one that feels best in your hand. I own a S&W M686 and like shooting it a lot but I have nothing against a Ruger. It's a little like Ford and Chevy or a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. It all comes down to which you like best.... You can't go wrong with either.

gwnorth
September 4, 2008, 08:02 AM
I've shot 686's and GP100's and when it came time to plunk money down, I ended up with a 6" blued and a 4" stainless GP100 (both factory new). Have been extremely pleased with both of them, no regrets at all. The 4" had a better trigger out of the box then the 6" (actually as good as any of the S&W's I've rented or used from friends). Even shooting Winchester 145gr silvertip .357's out of them is not bad at all (and I generally find the silvertips give a pretty good snap to .357 recoil). I'm sure the hogue monogrips have a play in that feel - I know many people miss the older style GP100 grips, but I've shot both, and the hogue's are better, IMO.

'Course, this month, I'm seriously thinking of getting my shop to order me a S&W 620 too, as I really like the feel and balance of it :)

JeffDilla
September 4, 2008, 08:49 PM
gwnorth, to me, the 686 and gp100 felt almost the same in my hand and they both had the same grips, but the price of the S&W has me leaning towards the gp100 when it comes time for me to buy something. I also like the beefier build of the gp100, and since I don't plan on carrying, it wont make a difference. Maybe someday I'll have one of each and not have to worry about it:)

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
September 4, 2008, 09:48 PM
but the price of the S&W has me leaning towards the gp100 when it comes time for me to buy something. I also like the beefier build of the gp100, and since I don't plan on carrying, it wont make a difference. Maybe someday I'll have one of each and not have to worry about it

You got the idea, eh? Agree with you on getting the GP100 first. Then wait for a sweet deal on a 686.

JeffDilla
September 4, 2008, 09:58 PM
I'm going to a gun show this weekend. I'm interested in seeing what the prices are there. I don't expect to find a deal or anything, and I know its not a good place to get ideas of prices, but you never know. I'm leaving my wallet home...

Catherine
September 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
I have owned BOTH the S&W Model 60 and 686. Bought NIB between 1998-2001. NO S&W lock deal.

They are both great guns. SWEET guns! Straight shooters!

I still have the Model 686 and if I had not gotten INTO "single action revolvers" so much... I would have kept the Model 60. (I sold and gave away some guns after my late husband died. I kept the Model 60 until about 1 year or so ago. I did not HAVE to sell it but I was changing my own firearms around in my personal life.)

My Model 60 had a 3 inch barrel - I would NOT choose any gun that was LESS than 3 inches long in a barrel. Mine was in a 38Special ONLY - Uncle Mike's grip, 6= stainless steel. At the time, S&W was discontinuing the 38Special Plus P only and going to 357Magnum for their Model 60 and I got a DEAL on it plus an instant rebate. My choice on barrel lengths and what I like after trying other guns. I sold the gun, it sold in 10 minutes or less and I made money on it.

My Model 686 is a SWEET one as I said. It is a 6 shot, not plus - not ported, Hogue grip and I like WOOD too, full lug (Correct word?), SS as I said before and has a 6 inch long barrel.

The S&W frame sizes are pretty obvious on their website and when you TRY one out in YOUR hand!

http://www.smith-wesson.com

Best wishes on choosing what you love... Ruger is very nice too!

Catherine

Catherine
September 4, 2008, 11:11 PM
PS:

I have small but not tiny hands and I am only 5' 3" tall. I am not a big woman. My left arm/hand is weak from an old injury plus arthritis is setting in.

I can shoot some large frames, medium frames and small frames (J frame in S&W for example.). It depends on how the GUN FEELS in my hand and not just the 'frame size or caliber'.

Most of the guns that I bought (1998-2001) and the one gift that I was given were guns that I could not 'rent' at my former local gun store back east. I did rent a SWEET Model 629 and did own a Model 29 though. Nice!

I have tried out, shot and handled, many OTHER guns because someone that I knew owned one and let me shoot it to see HOW I liked it and how it FIT my hand.

Best wishes again!

Catherine

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 60 and 686" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!