Movies

PDA

ieszu
September 3, 2008, 11:50 AM
I am looking for some great pro-gun movies... not necessarily accurate, but ones that support the idea. There is Equilibrium and 3:10 to Yuma. Anyoen have any others?

If you enjoyed reading about "Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
big_bang
September 3, 2008, 12:13 PM
Of recent vintage, I thought "The Brave One" was interesting. It really got to the flesh of a gun being an equalizer. It did have some weirdness to it, but it's Hollywood...:rolleyes:

Actually, there are a whole lot of good gun movies out there. Some foreigners say that we as a culture are gun-crazy and movies tend to prod that along...agree or not, there is a lot of gun action in Hollywood, and most of it's not really anti.

dogmush
September 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
Serenity, Red Dawn, Quigley Down Under, Way of the Gun (maybe), Desperado, Commando (with Arnold), Shooter, Sniper, any Steven Segal movie, Aliens.

I'll think of more later

blackcash88
September 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
Bill's Gun Shop

Last of the Mohicans

OOOXOOO
September 3, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you for Smoking and Lord of War

Golden Hound
September 3, 2008, 06:44 PM
The Postman.

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user/akentisa/Filemanager_Public_Files/vlcsnap-3936546.jpg

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user/akentisa/Filemanager_Public_Files/vlcsnap-3941214.jpg

A vastly underrated movie that a lot of people ignored because it was "too long." Well, sometimes you have to have a long movie to get the message across.

jahwarrior
September 3, 2008, 07:01 PM
what, nobody mentioned "Boondock Saints"?

Golden Hound
September 3, 2008, 07:03 PM
There's a difference between movies that proactively advocate the ideology of the right to bear arms, and movie that simply contain a lot of guys shooting each other. The latter frequently display horrible safety practices and technique, and feature a lot of bullets being thoughtlessly sprayed everywhere.

Black Majik
September 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
Robert De Niro and his 1911 in Ronin.

Pacino's commander in HEAT

I am Legend shows the need to be well armed.

Red Dawn

Tom Cruise with his USP45 in Collateral

The Kingdom shows the need to use firearms too, and scavenging for arms when they were ambushed after being disarmed earlier in the movie.

The Brave One, I'm mixed about. It shows the strong need for one, but goes on a vigilante spree after acquiring one illegally. Haven't decided if it's a pro-gun or anti-gun slant to the movie.

blackcash88
September 3, 2008, 07:25 PM
Star Wars...the original one before the bastardized Lucas remake (Han shot first in the Cantina!). One of the best "good versus evil" sci-fi movies ever. Used everything from swords (light saber) to guns (laser pistol/rifle) to aircraft (X/Y-wings and the Millennium Falcon) to ultimately crush evil (Grand Moff Tarkin/Death Star).

Also, no mention of any of the Terminator movies? They used any and every thing firearms related they could get their hands on. Another "good versus evil" type movies.

Dr.Mall Ninja
September 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
i know people said it already but RED DAWN

BruceRDucer
September 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
"In Bruges":):):) :uhoh::uhoh: :what::what::what:

6_gunner
September 3, 2008, 09:29 PM
Sergeant York is a must-see. Its not overtly pro-gun, but it explores the the question of how one can be a peaceful person and still be willing to protect oneself and others.

Not a movie, but the Firefly series was very pro-gun.

Lord of War always gets mentioned, but I have to disagree. I thought it was a terribly anti- movie. Guns are depicted as tools of crime, genocide and oppression. When are guns ever portrayed positively in that movie? I don't see how anybody could see it as a pro-gun movie.

I'd have to disagree with Collateral, too. Wasn't Tom Cruise a hit man in that movie? How does that promote responsible gun ownership?

I'm wary of vigilante movies in general. They show gun ownership as an effective crime deterrent; but do we really want gun ownership associated with vigilantism? Death Wish and Taxi Driver are outstanding movies, but they're not what I would show someone in order to convince them of the virtues of gun ownership.

.38special
September 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
Dirty Harry

brigadier
September 3, 2008, 09:55 PM
Believe it or not, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, made a point in favor of the right to own weapons.

"Women of this land learned long ago that those without weapons can still die by them."

Not specific to guns, but in favor of the general 2A concept.

brigadier
September 3, 2008, 10:01 PM
The Postman.
A vastly underrated movie that a lot of people ignored because it was "too long." Well, sometimes you have to have a long movie to get the message

I never thought about it but you're right. They did do a spectacular job of demonstrating the importance of being armed and ready to gain peace by force from those who would take it by force.
It's interesting to see these points so well made in a movie about disgruntled postal workers with battle rifles.
I thought the postman was an excellent and entertaining movie from beginning to end. Kevin Costner's best film if you ask me. I have no idea why people dislike it.

Reddog1
September 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
the "Death Wish" movies with Charles Bronson.
the "Magnificent Seven" movies with Yul Brener.

brigadier
September 3, 2008, 10:10 PM
"The Pianist" is a movie about one of the titanic examples of gun control VS gun rights. One of, if not THE most realistic war movies I have ever seen as well. Even more so then "Saving Private Ryan!"

The movie gives you a feel for what it's like to have a real war going on in your neighborhood unlike any other movie I have ever seen.
It's also the only movie I have ever seen where gun blasts and bombs (with surround sound) sounded perfectly real, even to the point that they are intimidating.

Duke Junior
September 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
A favorite subject.
#1 Red Dawn, 1984
#2 Dirty Harry,1971
#3 The Searchers,1956
#4 High Noon,1952
#5 Gettysburg,1993
#6 The Big Red One,1980
#7 Shane,1953
#8.To Hell and Back,1955
#9 The Train,1964
#10 The Alamo,1960

All very inspiring.
Thank you for the thread,ieszu.:)

scrat
September 3, 2008, 11:25 PM
Kelleys heros

Dr. Fresh
September 4, 2008, 01:59 AM
Open Range

Eleven Mike
September 4, 2008, 03:15 AM
Way of the Gun - DOES NOT SUPPORT RKBA. I love that movie, but the guns are mostly being used by criminals to fight other criminals.

Lord of War - DOES NOT SUPPORT RKBA. what 6_Gunner said. And watch the bonus features about the Tools of the Trade. Until I saw that, I didn't know that the M16 was a belt-fed 7.62. :uhoh:

Collateral - DEFINITELY DOES NOT SUPPORT RKBA. As guns are mostly used by a hitman to murder in cold blood, or by other criminals.

Desperado, Equilibrium, Commando, and other formulaic lone hero with some guns movies DO NOT SUPPORT RKBA. The viewer does not see these stories as having any connection with his own life or personal protection. Typically, the hero is in some kind of bizarre situation most people cannot relate to, and is often highly-trained to boot. Such movies do NOT get across the point that ordinary people should carry guns to guard against everyday dangers.

Golden Hound
September 4, 2008, 03:24 AM
The Postman (originally a novel) was specifically written to counter that last example of yours - the cliche of the lone hero in a post-apocalyptic world. The message of the story is that survival in such a scenario lies with a democratic community, and that the people united and armed is the only way to protect against power-crazed and evil men who will try to take advantage of the lack of government in order to oppress others.

Duke Junior
September 4, 2008, 03:24 AM
OK,Eleven Mike,we read you.Now for the positive side. What movies in the past 100 years do feel positively support the RKBA's?

VARifleman
September 4, 2008, 03:34 AM
Collateral is always mentioned because the gun handling is done well, but you are right that it is not necessarily a pro-RKBA movie.

jackdanson
September 4, 2008, 03:36 AM
Planet of the Apes.. we can't have the apes taking over!!!

tntwatt
September 4, 2008, 03:44 AM
The Brave One is pretty RKBA. What's funny is Jodie Foster is staunchly anti gun. She even admits she did the movie hoping to get the message of gun control out.

The Postman, Sgt York, and Red Dawn all 3 seriously promote the positives of guns.

sernv99
September 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
since when did Hollywood start producing pro-gun movies? LOL there are no pro-gun movies, Hollywood makes a ton of gun-violent movies then turns around and complains about all of the senseless gun violence in the US, so I don't see how they are making "pro-gun" movies

TonyB
September 4, 2008, 07:24 AM
jackdanson:finally someone has the courage to speak the truth.....this whole"evolution thing" is just a way to get us to accept the apres as "like us":uhoh:
back to the gun movies:
Second hand Lions (old guys w/ shotguns)
Death wish(just the 1st one,the rest suck)
Unforgiven
Way of the Gun
these have nothing to do w/ 2A,but have good gun play

Kentucky-roughrider
September 4, 2008, 10:04 AM
I can't believe noone has brough up Tom Selleck's other movies. Crossfire Trail is a good, Last Stand at Sabre Creek that plus a man dealing with the horrors of a war.

Serny99, most westerns were made back before pro-gun was a issue.

The Rifleman had an esisode that dealt was gun control, A sub. sheriff was appointed while Macha was gone. Someone pulled a gun and shot into the air. The sheriff ordered all guns to be placed into the sheriff's office. And a band of outlaws ride into and put the sheriff in a jail cell. Lucas ride into town, being the only one who don't turn in his rifle, and ends the problem. The town was safe because, every man was well armed and ready to back the sheriff at the drop of a hat.

Mr. D
September 4, 2008, 11:29 AM
I second Sgt York, Shane, Mag Seven, and High Noon. I haven't seen most of the movies mentioned, but I have seen those, and they are all great.

Gettysburg is a good on as well, as is Gods and Generals. Also check out The Proud Ones - one of my all-time favorite pro-gun movies.

Good call on the Rifleman. Awesome show to boot.

~Dale

blackcash88
September 4, 2008, 01:13 PM
Seraphim Falls

Lewis130
September 4, 2008, 01:25 PM
C'mon guys! DAWN OF THE DEAD. The people who live longest are the people with guns. Zombies=damn good reason for the second amendment.

Lewis130
September 4, 2008, 01:27 PM
Oh, and A History Of Violence. It starts of quite well, with a 1911 being used to cap a couple of murderous criminals, although the arguments seems to disapear later...

blackcash88
September 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
What, nobody's mentioned Tremors yet?

deaconkharma
September 4, 2008, 02:07 PM
Alexa 'Lex' Woods: [Rousseau is loading a pistol] Seven seasons on the ice, and I've never seen a gun save someone's life.
Adele Rousseau: I don't plan on using it.
Alexa 'Lex' Woods: Then why bring it?
Adele Rousseau: Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one. :cool:

They knocked her off waaaayyy to early!

BruceRDucer
September 4, 2008, 02:20 PM
"The Brave One is pretty RKBA."

Yes and its very interesting. It's basically a remake of the "Death Wish" them, but it is still a great movie.

Did you notice how the scripts for both movies create a lot of contradiction and confusion about the proposition for Self Defense. They've got people supporting the main vigilante characters but also, to contradict all common sense, they present arguments indicating that the vigiliante is not justified at all. That's almost laughable. Lots of movies do this, failing to sensibly identify a clear value. In that way, "wisdom" is presented as being confused by the issues.

In the Brave One though, the cop becomes part of the cover up. I loved it. Never saw that coming. Thought the vigilante was going to get vicimized twice!

:what:
/

blitzen
September 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
how about Shoot em Up !

yesit'sloaded
September 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry is about a black family in the deep south and shows a woman with what appears to be a 94 winchester waiting to shoot up the klan. Very rare these days to see a movie with intelligent black people using guns responsibly. Too bad there are not more.

blackcash88
September 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
For those disagreeing about the movie, Lord of War, being anti-gun... Yes, it had a strong undertone, but what I got out of it was the bad guys will always be armed, no matter what, so the other side will always need firearms as well (underlying pro-gun message). Yuri/Cage just didn't care who he sold arms to...just that he sold them...didn't matter either way.

Dr. Fresh
September 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
how about Shoot em Up !

I found that movie to be very anti.

CountGlockula
September 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
The Wind that Shakes the Barely; Enfields galore.
Rambo (2008)
The Matrix
Band of Brothers, HBO series.
Shoot 'Em Up
Tropic Thunder
Pineapple Express
Planet Terror
Army of Darkness
Robocop

Calibre44
September 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
Harry Potter substitute wands for guns and you have the same principle for self defence.

notbubba
September 6, 2008, 12:48 AM
What about movies with no gun.
"Fear"
Mark Wahlberg terrorizes Reese Witherspoon and her family.
Her family needed to "keep and bear arms" but didn't.

Movies with guns:
The Dawn of the Dead type zombie movies.
In all of them it was either have a gun or end up a zombie.

Eleven Mike
September 7, 2008, 02:11 AM
OK,Eleven Mike,we read you.Now for the positive side. What movies in the past 100 years do feel positively support the RKBA's?

I can't think of any off-hand.

LAR-15
September 7, 2008, 02:26 AM
Deacons For Defense

strangelittleman
September 7, 2008, 05:30 PM
High Noon
Uprising (mini-series about the Warsaw ghetto 1939)
Key Largo
The Train
Nevada Smith
Magnificent Seven
The Bravados
Open Range

Oana
September 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
I fifth (?) Sergeant York. Great movie that isn't so much pro-gun as it is pro-defense of what is right. If you pick one, pick this one and skip all the shoot-em-ups.

Indiana Jones isn't "pro-gun", but you can't beat the swordsman scene. :)

Most older movies will show guns in a positive light, FWIW.

BIGRETIC
September 8, 2008, 03:23 AM
Rambo....the best use of a .50 EVER!!!!!

John G
September 8, 2008, 04:06 AM
The Jesse Stone series starring Tom Selleck. Good gun handling, pro-RKBA.

VirgilCaine
September 8, 2008, 07:33 AM
Deacons For Defense

Seconded.
I was surprised they were able to get ahold of AR's so quick, it being the mid-sixties, IIRC! ;)

CountGlockula
September 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
I just saw AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem.

I love this quote:

Dallas: Eddie, people are dying. We need guns.
Morales: The National Guard'll be here soon.
Dallas: Not soon enough.

mr.72
September 8, 2008, 01:37 PM
I think "The Brave One" is definitely pro-RKBA, and part of the reason for the "vigilante" response is guilt and anguish over not being equipped to have defended herself the first time around. Very pro-gun message, IMHO. Also this is a very good movie.

The other one I saw the same week was "Vacancy" which I thought had a very "we need guns to defend ourselves" message.

A lot of the movies you guys have listed are either very old, or not very good movies, or both. I mean, Steven Seagall? Come on!

sm
September 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
Innocents Betrayed

If you enjoyed reading about "Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!