Technical term for jagged "door breaker" thingy...

PDA

Orion8472
September 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
Okay, I'm sorely outside of my nomenclature here, but I was looking for one of those metal jagged things for the end of shotgun barrels used to break doors or something. I have no idea what the technical term for them is.

Can anyone help with the name and some good places that would have them for a Remington 870?

If you enjoyed reading about "Technical term for jagged "door breaker" thingy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 3, 2008, 03:13 PM
Breaching Standoff.

VangComp also makes one that screws on in place of the magazine cap.
https://www.vangcomp.com/Standoff_Device.html

rcmodel

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
September 3, 2008, 03:38 PM
you may know this, but its a little unclear from the wording of your post. The breaching standoff doesn't break the door it only holds the barrel in position so the projectile can do its work.

kingjoey
September 3, 2008, 03:45 PM
You mean a breaching attachment/standoff? They hold the muzzle in place when using a shotgun to blow out a lock or hinge. And yeah, we might know something about them ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/kingjoey/KA%20Stuff/KA-72608059.jpg

shevrock
September 3, 2008, 03:55 PM
Their needs to be a small pneumatic thing you can attach to the magazine tube on your shotgun. Put a round into the door handle, then use the pneumatic thing to bust the door handle if it stays in place. :)

rcmodel
September 3, 2008, 03:55 PM
The most important thing they do is allow a place for the bore pressure to escape.

In the excitement of blowing a door off it's henge's, you don't want direct muzzle contact blowing the end off the barrel too!

rcmodel

Hawk
September 3, 2008, 04:01 PM
I believe the "thingy" part is correct as stated.

The word you're looking to replace "jagged" might be crenelated (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crenelated).

I believe Surefire is fond of it when describing certain flashlight bezels. I heard they were originally "little notchy things so's you could see if you left the light on when placed lens down" but it was insufficiently tactical to they borrowed a term from fortress battlements which we all know are more tactical than "holes through which one might see light".

DMR
September 3, 2008, 04:48 PM
http://pro-patria.us/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/590brchrvang.243115657_std.jpg

We call them "teeth".... not that I would know anything about them:rolleyes:

Orion8472
September 3, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yep, that's what I was after. Thanks guys! :)

mgregg85
September 4, 2008, 09:39 PM
Do you have to use special breaching ammo for these things? How bad is the potential for ricochet with a regular , 2 3/4" 00 buckshot shell or 000 buckshot shell?

Orion8472
September 5, 2008, 10:23 AM
Is there some product that can be placed on the end of an existing barrel (870)?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 5, 2008, 10:28 AM
If you're not an LEO who will be breaching doors, then the technical term is "wallet-lightener", sometimes referred to a "poseur-gear". :D They do look cool, though.

Blofeld
September 5, 2008, 10:32 AM
The device I use to place a shot in a precise fashion is called a "bead".

john917v
September 5, 2008, 12:06 PM
On the Vangcomp mag. extension tube, why is the end crenellated (learn something new everyday)? There is no need for it, other than to strike someone, I suppose?

proud2deviate
September 5, 2008, 12:18 PM
On the Vangcomp mag. extension tube, why is the end crenellated (learn something new everyday)? There is no need for it, other than to strike someone, I suppose?

It's meant to function in the same manner as the breaching attachments above. The little jaggy bits are supposed to keep it from sliding off whatever you jam it up against. Stab it into the door frame above the part you wish to disintegrate (lock, hinges, etc,) and pull the trigger.

Of course, I suppose you could also take a core sample of a bad guy, if the situation dictated such action ;)

Rustynuts
September 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
These are a little more like it! A Tromix Shark Break

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/RifleShark.jpg

RonE
September 7, 2008, 05:44 PM
The very best ones have the word "Tactical" in their description.

rantingredneck
September 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
Is there some product that can be placed on the end of an existing barrel (870)?

I believe, that the newest "Desert Tactical Recon" or some such version of the 870 comes with an 18" Remchoke barrel with a breaching extension screwed in via the remchoke threads. So in answer to your question, maybe. If you have a remchoke barrel already.

Call Remington. :D.

Sam1911
September 7, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have a problem with these devices. So far, every one I've seen appears to interfere with the ability to mount a bayonet! In certain situations, the operator may find that he needs to use the forward portion of the shotgun as a weapon and so a bayonet is mission critical.

Why is no one talking about this? I suspect that the manufacturers of these devices have been unable to work out an effective solution and instead of admitting the fact -- that they are knowingly reducing the offensive capabilities of the men on the ground -- are pulling strings with the guys upstairs to have this information withheld from those with a real need-to-know.

Far be it from me to claim collusion, but when the big money has started flowing around the highly lucrative para-security and retail-defense contracts then it can be hard for the real brothers-in-arms to know who has your six and who's in on the conspiracy!

:evil:

DMR
September 7, 2008, 08:35 PM
????

Sam, a few points to look at.

1. the main mlitary use for the shotgun is has a secondary breaching tool. By that I mean the shotguns are carried pistol grip only hung on a sling at the soldiers side. His/her main weapon is the M-4 carbine or M-16A4 if they are Marines.

2. M-203 gunners, M-240 Gunners, M-249 gunners, ect also can not use bayonets. The model of Mossberg Shotguns that are issued to the soldiers and Marines in harms way now do not accept bayonets either. A very small number of the 590's were procured like 10 years ago and are the only ones in use that accept bayonets. The other Type II Shotguns 30,000+ are 5+1 17" or 18 1/2" Mossberg (with out heat sheild) 500/500A1/500A2 or 500MLS depending on the branch of service and time of the buy.

Finaly if you look closely at most units or talk to their soldiers very few Army Units are even carring their bayonets. That has some to do with the stupid over wieght pig of a bayonet that is issued today, and some to do with the differant nature of the current fight.

Since the soldiers on the grond have discarded the bayonet and robbed the defense industrial complex of the oppertunity to make replacements for the bayonet your theroy falls apart preety quickly.:uhoh:

Grey54956
September 7, 2008, 08:56 PM
Bayonet not necessary.

1.) Jam breaching standoff deep into gut of enemy (possible core sample).

2.) Pull trigger.

Sam1911
September 7, 2008, 09:01 PM
Wow. Sorry. I really, REALLY, didn't mean to make a word of my previous post believable. I was really only offering a humorous counterpoint to a couple of previous comments, specifically:

The very best ones have the word "Tactical" in their description
and
If you're not an LEO who will be breaching doors, then the technical term is "wallet-lightener", sometimes referred to a "poseur-gear". They do look cool, though.

I had NO idea anyone would take my faux rant seriously (hence the "evil" smiley positioned at a discreet remove from the conspiro-ninja text)! My humble apologies!

Anyone who needs to find a way to make the forward end of a tactical shotgun more lethal perhaps needs to re-evaluate his priorities! :-)

-Sam

:evil:Hook, line, and sinker!:evil:

Grey54956
September 7, 2008, 09:20 PM
Who needs bayonets...

I want some way to mount an axe head to the end of the barrel...

Blofeld
September 8, 2008, 12:02 AM
Wouldn't Extreme Shock ammo serve? Hold it to the door, tap the primer, Voila!:D

Regolith
September 8, 2008, 12:54 AM
I want some way to mount an axe head to the end of the barrel...

Pffft. You're not thinking tactically enough, man. What you need is a frickin' chainsaw. Now that'd be high-speed low-drag. I mean, it worked in Gears of War, right?

:neener:

Blofeld
September 8, 2008, 01:02 AM
Brass knuckle pistol-:Dforegrip?

proud2deviate
September 8, 2008, 09:02 AM
Brass knuckle pistol-foregrip?

Pffft. Brass is for women and pansies. Real men use tungsten knuckles:evil:

Blofeld
September 8, 2008, 10:05 AM
Tungsten. Ooooooh:eek:

jdh
September 8, 2008, 10:56 AM
I believe, that the newest "Desert Tactical Recon" or some such version of the 870 comes with an 18" Remchoke barrel with a breaching extension screwed in via the remchoke threads. So in answer to your question, maybe. If you have a remchoke barrel already.

Call Remington. .

Yep, just picked up one of the Desert Recon 870s. The choke is marked "Extended Tacticle"

Fred Fuller
September 8, 2008, 10:59 AM
Tactikewl...

lpl

Blofeld
September 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
Is it just me, or does the obviously worn and scarred shotgun with the dull finish evoke more fear than the black spiky lightshow shotgun?

proud2deviate
September 8, 2008, 11:50 AM
Is it just me, or does the obviously worn and scarred shotgun with the dull finish evoke more fear than the black spiky lightshow shotgun?

Not necessarily fear, but certainly more respect. Skill trumps all the ad-ons currently available.

ETA - From Mr. Lapin's sig line,

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF-

DMR
September 8, 2008, 01:39 PM
Outside of LE/MIL breacher realy have no role for use in the civilian sector.

Geronimo45
September 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
Anyone who needs to find a way to make the forward end of a tactical shotgun more lethal perhaps needs to re-evaluate his priorities! :-)
Can you jury-rig a 203 launcher to it? :p

XDKingslayer
September 8, 2008, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't Extreme Shock ammo serve? Hold it to the door, tap the primer, Voila!

NO!

It's a well known fact that Xtreme Shok ammo will blow the entire house down.

Blofeld
September 9, 2008, 12:11 AM
You're right, of course. Guess I was just itchin to see some Xtreme action!

Brett Byers AKA Slow
September 9, 2008, 01:16 AM
The Remington web site says it is there to reduce recoil and muzzle jump...I wonder what % of recoil it reduces?? plus it also has the new recoil pad Supercell...with all that recoil reduction maybe it will feel like a 20GA.

Orion8472
September 9, 2008, 11:09 AM
Where, on their website, do you find barrels for sale?

jdh
September 9, 2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/productpaging.aspx?layout=0&number=3&catalogid=1&categoryid=1038

rantingredneck
September 9, 2008, 11:44 AM
Tactikewl...

indeed......

Orion8472
September 9, 2008, 11:52 AM
jdh, thanks for the page, but I didn't see any door breaching barrels there. :confused:

Brett Byers AKA Slow
September 11, 2008, 02:15 AM
Orion, it's a Remchoke new for 2008, if you don't see it call or email Remington

Blakenzy
September 11, 2008, 04:18 AM
Outside of LE/MIL breacher realy have no role for use in the civilian sector.

Not true, you could install one on your trunk gun, that way should you forget your house keys at work you can still make it to the couch and big screen TV before "Futurama" is over. Because it's such a pain to wait for that locksmith at the end of a long day, right? :neener:

Guns and more
September 11, 2008, 10:48 AM
Any video of doors being "breached" the gun is not in contact with the lock. Maybe two feet away. So the purpose of the teeth on the end is more likely for the citizen they find inside.

Blofeld
September 11, 2008, 11:12 AM
Cheaper than Dirt has the Remington 870 breacher barrel (made by Mossberg?) for $160, if you truly must.:rolleyes:

Orion8472
September 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
I think I will let it pass on by and just do without something that I doubt I'll ever use anyway.

Thanks for all the information and comments everyone! :)

Navon
November 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
It's called a breacher.

If you enjoyed reading about "Technical term for jagged "door breaker" thingy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!