Help, My 870P needs more wear marks...

PDA

DaleCooper51
September 3, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have an 870 police gun I bought new about 6 yrs ago, but dont shoot all that much because of the heavy trigger. I put about 2500 rounds through my wingmaster since June, but only shoot a box or two of shells a year through this gun. I would really like to lessen the trigger pull and use it more as it is a nice gun and fits me well. After looking at numrich schematics, it looks like I would have to change the sear spring. Is this difficult to do? Are there any tricks I should be aware of? Is there anything else that should be done?

Any help is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help, My 870P needs more wear marks..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
September 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
Yep.

One of the much vaunted "advantages" of the 870P is heavier springs in some areas- to include the sear spring. That yields a famously heavy trigger pull.

It's not uncommon for folks to swap out the 870P sear spring for the 'ordinary' 870 spring. And while I am among the last to suggest an owner tearing into a trigger plate assembly, it is do-able in this case without disturbing anything that is factory staked/riveted.

Number one, order yourself a standard weight spring from whatever source you choose.

Number two, PM me your mailing address and I will try to get you a set of instructions with pictures by mail. I am not about to try and transcribe all that here and now, pictures make it MUCH easier to follow and besides, i have too much meatworld stuff to do just now 8^). (Hint- take a look out into the Atlantic on the weathermap)

hth,

lpl

PJR
September 4, 2008, 11:07 AM
The sear spring swap isn't hugely challenging (if I can do it most anyone can) and a definite improvement to the trigger pull of an 870P.

While on the subject does anyone know when Remington started putting the heavier springs in the Police models? I have and older one that didn't have the heavier spring.

Milkmaster
September 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
How about finding a beater in a pawn shop and using the trigger group out of it? That way you can keep your original trigger group stock. Not the only solution, but one that is possible. I took a trigger group apart one time. I won't be doing that again!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help, My 870P needs more wear marks..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!