My chest SWELLS with Pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDA

SHOOT1SAM
September 3, 2008, 08:08 PM
My 14yo daughter had an impromptu speech assignment today, and the topic was "If I was a piece of sporting equipment, what would I be?"

She stated that she would be a handgun!! :D :D

Her reasons were : self-defense, the relaxation of target shooting, and hunting.

The shirt is tight, as the chest is swollen with pride. :p

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "My chest SWELLS with Pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zedo
September 3, 2008, 08:14 PM
And the teacher didn't have her expelled? Must be one of them there "radical neo-con" schools . . .

W.E.G.
September 3, 2008, 08:18 PM
I hope you don't go from "swolen" to "crestfallen."

Your kid gave this speech at a public school?

Talk of guns in the classroom sounds like just the sort of thing that would be sure to get somebody's panties in a wad these days.

VARifleman
September 3, 2008, 08:52 PM
SHOOT1SAM, good job on raising her right.

. . .

Loomis
September 3, 2008, 09:02 PM
VARifleman:

You may have over reacted. How do you know the kid isn't 18 himself?

john1911
September 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
Congrats on the daughter!

. . .

hankdatank1362
September 3, 2008, 09:19 PM
. . .

SHOOT1SAM; congrats on raising a fine young American woman. Tell her I wish her well.

cslinger
September 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
Good girl. Hooray for freedom. Hooray for parents like you.

Let me know how the visit with local law enforcement goes.:neener:

Duke Junior
September 3, 2008, 09:37 PM
SHOOT1SAM,congratulations.
You are bringing your child up right!
Thanks for sharing the story.

bobbarker
September 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
Good Job Shootisam. It seems entirely too common to me that younger teens often don't think about Guns as anything outside of hunting tools, or in some parts of the country, as things for Police Officers and Criminals. Glad to see that one more has been raised right. Congrats, and if any administrator at the school DOES try giving her a hard time for talking about guns, Give em hell.

jmr40
September 3, 2008, 09:56 PM
. . .

I too have raised a daughter, she is 24 now, and she was complimented in the same way when she was younger. I took it as the compliment it was meant to be.

doc2rn
September 3, 2008, 10:13 PM
Sam congrats! Bravo Zulu, job well done.

Zedo
September 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
On the other hand, when she turns 18, she's legal to purchase and possess a firearm.

What were you thinking? Speaking of mis-reading . . .

Let's focus at the discussion at hand -- which would be in-school discussion of guns. Public schools are expelling elementary kids because they draw images of guns, typically "ray guns" or other non-firearms sorts. (Which makes me wonder about kids drawing pictures of glue guns and staple guns . . . :what: . . . )

Young children in public schools are being expelled for "making pistols out of their fingers/hands."

There's a free speech clause in the Bill of Rights. It comes first, ahead of RKBA. Our founders and "We The People" understand the principles of Liberty. Free speech, RKBA, freedom from unreasonable search, self-incrimination, habeus corpus . . .

The government serves the people and derives its powers from the consent of the governed. We The People are not servants of the government.

It's time for the public schools to start teaching this stuff.

I signed up for a class, at the UNIVERSITY, upper-division/graduate credit, titled "Civil Rights & Civil Liberties." You think the Second Amendment was discussed? Not just "no" but "hell no." I got upbraided for asking in the seminar that RKBA be addressed.

"It's not in the syllabus . . . " And the "rationale" for exclusion was a "lack of SCOTUS case law."

Yeah, well . . . now we have Heller v. Wash. DC. My reading of Scalia's majority decision in Heller is that it's lawful to discuss guns in school . . . to draw pictures of them, to curl your childhood fingers up into a "pistol" and hold off the pre-pubescent "bad guys." -- Second Amendment RKBA, First Amendment free speech . . .

If I could be a sporting good.
I think I'd be a gun.
I'd load myself to SAAMI spec.
'Cause shootin's just plain fun.

Berma Shave :D

t george
September 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
thats a good story. i just graduated high school. i loved doing projects that involved the shooting sports. my parents instilled that passion in me and i hope to be able to do the same for my kids one day just the way it sounds like u have done with your daughter

Dookie
September 3, 2008, 10:33 PM
But what KIND of handgun??? :scrutiny:

Good for her and good for you.

Mickstix
September 3, 2008, 10:46 PM
. . .

Shoot1sam, congrats to your daughter!! She sounds like a good kid!! ;)

ftierson
September 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
SHOOT1SAM, congratulations on a great daughter...

And in the spirit of this thread, let me know when she hits 50 years old...:)

. . .

Again, S1S, you should feel pride...

Forrest

SHOOT1SAM
September 3, 2008, 11:18 PM
Gang,

Thank you for all of the congratulations. Her wonderful mother & I are very proud of her.

In answer to some of the uproar, we found ourselves taking SomeKid's comment along the lines of jmr40 (post # 10); we took it as the compliment we're sure he intended it to be. We didn't think of it the other way until reading the posts responding to it.

That said, it's nice to know that there are so many of us here, looking out for each other and responding the way you all did when you thought the comment was inappropriate. Really, I think this was much ado about nothing; no harm no foul.

In answer to some of the other questions:

She is in a Catholic High School, and she did ask her speach teacher if she could consider a handgun a piece of sporting equipment. This actually surprised me because she loves her rifles, and is not into handguns at all.

As far as what kind of handgun, well, hopefully she'd answer a 10mm.

Sam

Duke Junior
September 3, 2008, 11:45 PM
As far as what kind of handgun, well, hopefully she'd answer a 10mm

Priceless.Hopefully a Glock 29,Sam.:)

cslinger
September 3, 2008, 11:48 PM
She is in a Catholic High School,

Good for her and may God have mercy on her soul. :D 12 years of Catholic school here and let me tell you I was in my third year of college before I started getting a work load equal to my Junior and Senior year of High School. :what: She will be well prepared for college.

At any rate, so sounds like you have a wonderful daughter who will do well in life. Take care and God bless.

Chris

ColinthePilot
September 4, 2008, 12:16 AM
Good for her and may God have mercy on her soul. 12 years of Catholic school here and let me tell you I was in my third year of college before I started getting a work load equal to my Junior and Senior year of High School. She will be well prepared for college.

Same experience here, only with 13 years of Catholic school. College was easy.

And congratulations on her shooting and her presentation. I gave a speech opposing gun control in my freshman English class in high school (99-00), but that was back when "gun" wasn't a vulgarity in schools. My teacher being a gun nut helped, but I didn't find out about that until about 8 years later.

SomeKid
September 4, 2008, 12:19 AM
SHOOT, glad you took it for the intended compliment. Nothing like something over nothing, eh?

camslam
September 4, 2008, 12:41 AM
. . .

As for the OP, congrats on having a gutsy daughter. My hope is mine will be just as anxious to stand up for what she believes in when the time comes.

WOW!

230RN
September 4, 2008, 12:48 AM
May I join the baying and ki-yi-ing?

Congrats, and if any administrator at the school DOES try giving her a hard time for talking about guns, Give em hell.

Er, ah, um, it was a Catholic School. :what:

I wanted to merely observe, but I couldn't resist pointing that out. Hadda laugh at that one. :)

Raisin' her right, SHOOT1SAM. Yer rightly proud.

ArfinGreebly
September 4, 2008, 01:00 AM
Please excuse my clumsiness.

I seem to have knocked some of the posts over in the process of noise tuning.

My apologies.

If some of the posts no longer seem to make contextual sense, it's all my fault. The posts referred to must have gotten bumped in my amateur efforts at noise reduction.

Thank you for your patience, and my apologies for any inconvenience.

soccergod04
September 4, 2008, 02:08 AM
Wow, Arfin you post that just after I read the thread about gun boards becoming too P.C. with overreactive mods. Way to be stand-up and know that maybe you and others read something into a post that wasn't meant to be there.

bogie
September 4, 2008, 11:36 AM
All I know is that the 13 year old from hell is verboten from dating ANY of you folks...

230RN
September 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
If some of the posts no longer seem to make contextual sense, it's all my fault. The posts referred to must have gotten bumped in my amateur efforts at noise reduction.

A net improvement. Pun intended.

Lewis130
September 4, 2008, 12:17 PM
Looks like she's earnt herself a gun for Christmas...

Norinco982lover
September 4, 2008, 03:57 PM
Good job, OP. :D

IllHunter
September 4, 2008, 04:08 PM
Cudos for sending your kids to Catholic School and living with the cost of paying for that and your taxes. BZ!
Good for her and may God have mercy on her soul. 12 years of Catholic school here and let me tell you I was in my third year of college before I started getting a work load equal to my Junior and Senior year of High School.

I also did 12, the last four with Jesuits. I had no problem adjusting to the military when I enlisted, in fact, I thought the boot camp company commander was a loser as he sported 5 red hash marks on his sleeve. If he'd been any good, they'd ve been gold.;)

oklahoma caveman
September 4, 2008, 09:19 PM
let your chest swell. you have a daughter to be proud of!!

deepending on the school and the mindset of the people, you can actually sway people at school, college. my high school teachers nearly all hunted and fished and used guns themselves as did every student in school. so talking about them was not a big deal.

in college speech class i actually did my final speech on the importance of our gun rights, and how wrong the anti gun movmt is. i produced facts from many different countrys, our own states, and some of our big cities. the effect amazed me. most of the students had been around and used firearms all their lives, but some had not. 1 girl in particular surprised me with her blatant distaste for my topic as soon as i said my intro, but by the end was nodding her head in agreement with what i said.

but anyway like i said it just depends on the school, and the locale. my speech teacher latr informed me that she agreedand admitted to having a ccl.

If you enjoyed reading about "My chest SWELLS with Pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!