Overactive cylinder stop. Help!!

PDA

Pulp
September 4, 2008, 12:15 AM
I've been noticing on my '51 Navy Knock-off that the cylinder bolt or stop comes up at half cock. It's really pinging the cylinder, and makes it hard to load, since I can't unlock it to rotate the cylinder. I just took it apart and re-cleaned and inspected everything. Hammer notches look good, mainspring looks good, trigger looks good. I'm leaning toward the little wedge thing on the side of the hammer. It appears to be worn quite a bit.

Does this mean a new hammer is on order??

If you enjoyed reading about "Overactive cylinder stop. Help!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pohill
September 4, 2008, 12:30 AM
On a few of my revolvers, the bolt will come up at half cock if the trigger/bolt spring is too tight. Try backing it off a little at a time until the bolt stays down.

Pulp
September 4, 2008, 12:33 AM
Good idea, I've read about folks putting a leather washer under the spring to lighten it a bit. It is a new spring by the way. That shoulda been a clue.

Smokin_Gun
September 4, 2008, 05:53 AM
The Hammer cam should not be worn out as it is case hardened, the leg of the bolt that hits on that cam is more than likely worn or broken. You can stone or file it a bit t see if it will hold to the cam, is the mainspring real stiff, back off the screw 1/4 turn on the back of grip to see, or try a new bolt.
But first I'd do what Pohill said to try.

SG

scrat
September 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
Same time i would order a new bolt.

Omnivore
September 4, 2008, 09:19 PM
The mainspring should have nothing to do with it. It's all a matter of the hammer and bolt. The bolt/trigger spring would only be an issue if there's a poor interface between hammer and bolt already. Check the portion of the bolt that interfaces with the hammer cam and make sure it's nice and square where the hammer cam pushes against it upon cocking. Also make sure the bolt's two "fork tangs" are not pinched together. The bolt should be pushing sidways against the hammer at all times.

Scrat's right-- probably a good idea to go ahead and order a new bolt. Also check the hammer cam and make sure it's not rounded off where it presses to open the bolt.

Pulp
September 5, 2008, 12:30 AM
On closer examination I've found the hammer cam appears to have a face cracked off of it. At any rate, the bolt does slip past the cam. I had to hold a flashlight in my mouth to verify that.
I've lightened the mainspring a bit, and it has temporarily solved the problem, but I will be ordering a new hammer and bolt pretty quick.
Thanks for the replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Overactive cylinder stop. Help!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!