Getting Ready to Argue

PDA

Jayhawker
September 4, 2008, 12:51 PM
It looks like FedEx has lost or allowed to be stolen my Model 629, 6 1/2", Classic DX (with lock) that I was sending for action work. I insured it for $1000 feeling that would cover it. I've looked at various sites to get an idea what actual worth is. It's my understanding that the "Blue Book" of guns says it's worth only $500 but the current market indicates more like $650-$800. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing FedEx is going to argue every last penny. Could group members give me some idea of what they think its worth? I'd like, if possible, also to hear from anyone who has had to make a loss claim from FedEx and what their experience was.

Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting Ready to Argue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earplug
September 4, 2008, 01:52 PM
Check the price on past auctions, from various completed auctions

almostfree
September 4, 2008, 01:53 PM
I started a claim on a broken stock one time. All they wanted to see was how much it costs to replace. When I used to work in shipping that was generally what they wanted to see. You probably won't have any trouble with them and they generally will give you close to replacement cost.

I didn't follow through with my claim because I was not the shipper and they really want to hear from the shipper. I hate to ask, but did you ship it in accordance with their policies? Priority Overnight with notification to the agent receiving it? That may come up.

Be sure you report this to the local police or ATF, so there is a record of it having been stolen. Don't leave it up to them to do it, because they won't.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
September 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
Had to make a claim once but the item was not a gun, but huge stereo speakers. From UPS, not FEDEX though.

Actually it was the Ebay seller who had to make the claim as he was the shipper, then he refunded me.

I believe the seller was able to claim to the full amount of the coverage he bought, but he refunded only the amount I paid.

Basic principle of insurance is to help you recover your loss, that is, to replace the item you lost. Insurer may ask you for a receipt, or they may look elsewhere for the value of similar items.

You may have to argue that guns of the same model/type are not all the same, that this was a special piece that was fitted particularly well you handpicked out of the dealer's stock, that the piece had special features (if it had any) etc. That's why it is worth $1,000.

Or you may get lucky and receive the full insured value.

However, since you'll probably want to send the replacement 629 for action work anyways, I suppose a similar piece will suffice, as long as FEDEX pays for it.

rcmodel
September 4, 2008, 02:16 PM
I can't speak for FEDEX, but USPS insurance pays whatever you insured it for. All you have to do is prove the item was broken or missing during shipment.

rcmodel

absolute0
September 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
Since they were more than happy to collect the extra charge for $1000 worth of insurance it would seem reasonable they should deliver $1000 worth of compensation to you, but I'd bet they'll balk at anything over "blue book"

Funny how that works isn't it?

4xfourfun
September 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
I would stick to the going rate. I had UPS damage a shotgun in shipment, it took a little extra arguing but we settled on my price. UPS made me provide a "replacement" cost(even though they weren't made any more) and I supplied numerous ads of similar guns for sale. I just cruised the net printing ads for guns off GunsAmerica and others. They even wanted me to get a appraisal from an expert which I agreed to as long as they paid the appraisal fee which they decided they didn't need and paid me.

Good Luck and hang in there, it takes a little time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting Ready to Argue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!