Does this idiot qualify for a Darwin Award?

PDA

Preacherman
September 6, 2003, 12:44 AM
Given that he seems to have removed himself from the gene pool, even though still alive, he seems to qualify... :D

From Ananova, 9/4/03 (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_816233.html?menu=news.latestheadlines):

Jackass warning after horrific firecracker accident

Doctors in Australia have urged people to not to attempt Jackass style stunts after a man burnt his genitals in a firecracker accident.

The 26-year-old Australian man suffered a fractured pelvis and severe burns when a firecracker exploded between the cheeks of his buttocks.

The incident has left the man, from Illawarra, New South Wales, incontinent and unable to have sex and he is expected to remain in hospital for several months.

Dr Robert McCurdie, who operated on the man when he was taken to Wollongong Hospital, likened the man's condition to "a war injury".

Dr McCurdie said he believed the man had stumbled while the firecracker was in his buttocks, and fell down on it.

"By virtue of the fact that the explosion was confined in an upward direction, it went up into his pelvis, blasted a great hole in the pelvis, ruptured the urethra, injured muscles in the floor of the pelvis which rendered him incontinent. His pelvis was also fractured."

It is not known whether the man was imitating the cult prankster film Jackass in which men place firecrackers in their buttocks and shoot them into the air.

Acting Senior Sergeant John Klepczarek said the danger with movies like Jackass was that some people were tempted to try the stunts at home.

"They're putting themselves at risk, and other people. We do caution people strongly against following these acts," he said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does this idiot qualify for a Darwin Award?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chugach
September 6, 2003, 12:50 AM
What the heck was he playing with, blasting caps or M-80's?

Isn't "reality" TV wonderful?

garrettwc
September 6, 2003, 12:50 AM
It is not known whether the man was imitating the cult prankster film Jackass in which men place firecrackers in their buttocks and shoot them into the air.

They apparently can't tell the difference between a firecracker and a bottle rocket either. :D

Orthonym
September 6, 2003, 01:08 AM
Ow.

C.R.Sam
September 6, 2003, 01:42 AM
We do caution people strongly against following these acts," he said. Awww....that guy wants to take all the fun out of life. I say, let em do it. Makes the commute less crowded.

Sam

Archie
September 6, 2003, 01:53 AM
a local 'gentleman' won a bet by holding a firecracker in his mouth until it went off. He lost several teeth and burned the tar out of his mouth and tongue. But he did collect $5 or $10 on the bet (this in the 1950s...)

No one suspected alcohol had anything to do with the incident. It was a certainly.

We all thought he was a couple bricks shy of a load to begin.

The rectal carrier here takes the cake, I think.

MagKnightX
September 6, 2003, 02:07 AM
According to the Darwin Awards official rules, the person just has to do something tremendously stupid that prevents them from reproducing in a normal fashion. So yea, he qualifies.

Unisaw
September 6, 2003, 02:47 AM

I'd hate to think there could possibly be another reason!:what:

uglymofo
September 6, 2003, 02:56 AM
Don't watch TV enough to have heard about "Jackass", but I think I just fell in love with the show. Do they take donations?:cool: :D

LiquidTension
September 6, 2003, 03:03 AM
At least the guy can't procreate anymore.

Duncan Idaho
September 6, 2003, 03:24 AM
I would like to take a moment to properly thank God for continuing to work his magic, and thinning the herd one moron at a time. Or in this guy's case, by however many morons he may have had - if in fact he could have found a female moron to breed with. :p

Justin
September 6, 2003, 07:58 AM
No sympathy...for either the perpetrator of said jackassery, or an OT thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does this idiot qualify for a Darwin Award?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!