Good deal on a 32 Vaquero?

PDA

mr.trooper
September 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
Local dealer has a pair of lightly used 4" Ruger Vaqueros in 32 H&R Magnum for $260 each. Finish is like new: No nicks or scrapes and no holster ware. Lockup is tight, and all of the chambers are in good shape, but you can tell they were previously fired.

I already own two 38spl Snub guns and semi-compact 9mm, so I'm not looking at it as a primary carry piece. I like its size and weight. I want to use it primarily as a pack and trail gun, but I may carry it once and a while.

I have no use for a matching pair so I would only be buying one. Ammunition cost isn't a big concern for me, because I reload. i already have the powder and primers i would need. Additionally, 32 S&W long is still a popular cartridge here; there are 4 gun shops in driving distance that stock it, and even some of the Walmarts carry it.

this would be my first single action revolver. Is $260 a fair price for a lightly used Vaquero?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal on a 32 Vaquero?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stainz
September 5, 2008, 12:53 PM
They are likely 4 5/8" SSMs - and have fixed sights with either a shortened Blackhawk-style grip or a Bird's Head Grip. I had a SS BHG SSM like that. The barrel was off - it hit 1.5"L and nearly 2" low, with commercial .32 S&WL ammo - closer - still a bit off at 12-20yd with my mild .32 H&RM homebrews, 115gr LRNFP @ 800fps.

My biggest gripe was the poor QC of my new closeout buy - it was $269 + s/h. Took some work - and then, like the 4" .32M SP101 that followed, it had .337+" ID chambers - commercial ammo and homebrews are .334" OD max. The expanded cases were hard to extract in both guns. Still, they were fun plinkers - until I did the math - .32 lead is the same price as .38 Special - which is easier to find, too. I sold my .32s this past Spring. BTW, that SP101 was even worse, QC-wise.

Now, they are a good buy at that price - if you want a .32. If, by chance, they are real older SSMs - and have adjustable rear sights - they are a steal!

Stainz

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal on a 32 Vaquero?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!