I need a new rifle.

PDA

The Tick
September 5, 2008, 02:37 PM
So maybe you can help me out. I am after a bolt action or semi auto rifle that is good at range i.e. 300yds+. I would like to spend around $500. I was looking at the cz 527 carbine as I already have an AK and an SKS both in 7.62x39. I just thought that I would get some additional input before I took the leap. This will be my first non-battle riffle purchase so I don't really know much of anything.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a new rifle." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rifleman 173
September 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
Think about purchasing a Swedish Mauser rifle in 6.5 X 55 for a bolt action rifle. They are supposed to be the most accurate rifles that you can buy all the way out to 600 yards. Should meet your needs and be within the price range your talking about too.

The Tick
September 5, 2008, 03:05 PM
I also had ammo availability in mind.

NASCAR_MAN
September 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Tick,

You specify a range of 300yds+. So, what do you want the rifle to do at 300yds+? Shoot paper. Take out a Ground Squirrel? Knock down Cape Buffalo?

Thanks.

NASCAR

The Tick
September 5, 2008, 03:17 PM
I was thinking more something with a little more power behind it. Not so much a Cape Buffalo but something that I could feel comfortable with end-of-the world style.

altez
September 5, 2008, 03:29 PM
Do you really need a new rifle? :D

saikoryuujin
September 5, 2008, 04:05 PM
What a preposterous question!! ;)

I say get a bolt in 30.06 if you wanted knockdown power and range of use. (Get into reloading)

I myself have a .308 win and 30.06 bolt.

strat81
September 5, 2008, 06:00 PM
A Savage in .308 or similar caliber should be adequate.

rino451
September 5, 2008, 06:20 PM
Mosin, Mauser, and what's wrong with the SKS?

T-Mac
September 5, 2008, 06:29 PM
$500 to spend
good out at 300 yds.

You need a USED rifle w/a good scope
:D

KBintheSLC
September 5, 2008, 06:31 PM
I need a new rifle.

Thats EXACTLY what I said to my wife... she didn't buy it for one second.

Remington 700 or Savage comes to mind. Keep in mind that you will have to spend almost the same on the scope as you do on the rifle if you want quality.

W.E.G.
September 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
.308 bolt gun, ready to hunt, under $500

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78507

Savage 11 11FXP3 Hunter .308 Win 3-9x40mm Scope

upgrade the glass when you can afford

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/78504.jpg

W.E.G.
September 5, 2008, 07:37 PM
...another

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/54061

even cheaper

$368

Threeband
September 5, 2008, 07:46 PM
Obviously you need a Field Grade Garand from the CMP:

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

--------------------------------------

jnyork
September 5, 2008, 07:46 PM
Do you really need a new rifle?

What does "need' have to do with it? ;):D

If you like the CZ, get the CZ, you will be mighty happy with it regardless of what exact model you wind up with.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 5, 2008, 08:04 PM
Keeping it within your price limit, you are not going to get very good quality, unless you consider Tasco's $49 scope from MallWart "high quality."

The only Tasco I ever had (straight 12 power) would not move the crosshairs properly at the range when I tried to sight it in. I would move it 12 clicks one way and 20 another, then tap the turret screws with the base of a spent cartridge to "set" the crosshairs in place.

Shoot, look in spotting scope, see that the point of impact moved the OPPOSITE DIRECTION! Then, I would get it nearly to zero and move it two more clicks to finish and the shot would be off the target. :banghead:

I called Tasco in Florida and arranged to have it shipped back to have it checked over. They got it, tested it and shipped it back to me telling me the scope is perfect, no problems:rolleyes:. I called them and asked if they had worked on it. No, they didn't work on it, the guy remembers it well, it needed nothing, according to THEM:cuss:. I sold the scope and bought Leupold and will never EVER buy anything but a LEUPOLD scope! I don't have the time to be playing around, shipping stuff back, burning up a bunch of ammo to try to get the scope to do what I want it to do (only to leave the range wondering IF I CAN TRUST THE SCOPE STAYING WHERE I SET IT), etc.

That was my experience, other's may vary. I'm not saying that all scopes are junk, there are a lot of excellent scopes out there, my preference just happens to be Leupold.

Unless you buy USED, you can buy a rifle (not glass-bedded for accuracy) and one that has a trigger that is rough and feels like the gun is never going to go off, and a Tasco scope, and perhaps you will have the same headaches I did (or, maybe you won't:rolleyes: - or perhaps, DIFFERENT PROBLEMS:banghead:). If you want accuracy out past 300 yards, then you might want to consider a gun that you can slowly put some money into to accurize it (eventually, a glass bedding job, trigger job or Timney Trigger, high quality optics, etc.).

Heck, a new Leupold scope can cost you around $500 (JUST FOR THE SCOPE!).:eek:

Maybe get just the rifle now and save for the optics and install them later or, buy the optics now and that will give you incentive to save to BUY THE RIFLE!

If you really want accuracy, think about a gun, but also consider getting into reloading.:)

benzy2
September 5, 2008, 09:01 PM
I love my little CZ 527. It certainly is a rifle I will keep forever. There are a lot of great rifles in the $500 range, especially if you are willing to try used. If you picked any of the big names you see I'm sure you could end up with one that makes you happy. There are just too many good rifles out there to really have one to go to if I run into $500. Find what feels best to you and what has the size/weight you are looking for. As for caliber, 300 yards isn't that far for most chamberings. If you are looking for paper punching I would say to go with a .243 Win. At 300 yards you will have an easier time with the wind than with a .22 diameter bullet and you really don't step into .308s longer range advantage it holds at closer to 1000 yards. The .243 Win really shines at 300-600 yards and is really usable out to 1000 yards for punching paper. At 300 yards its still moving with enough energy to take a lot of game as well. I have read quite a few articles as to why the .243 would probably be a better round than the 7.62x51 for out troops but that is a totally different argument. End of the world come and I wouldn't want hit with a .243 at 300 yards, not that I would really want hit with any round. Factory ammo is abundant and the recoil is mild. For paper punching its amazing how fast a bit of kick from a rest turns into open groups. While hunting is a little different story where you hopefully take only one shot a full day at the range can get a bit painful shooting a bigger bullet. With that in mind though you could just as easily go for something in .223 which at 300 yards will do fine. It is a little worse in the wind than the higher BC .243 bullets but people shoot them a lot farther than that with great accuracy or you could go to the other end and shoot .308 and have just as much fun. It is totally up to what you want.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a new rifle." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!