bullet mould for NAA companion cal 22 BP

PDA

flibuste
September 5, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hello,

I have this small revolver cap and ball but need the bullets .
I live in France so it is difficult to buy the bullets so I am looking for a mould to cast them.
The other option would be to use the bullets from the 22LR cartridges but is it possible ?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet mould for NAA companion cal 22 BP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Voodoochile
September 5, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'm on my wife's PC here in DC so I'm limited in my searching abilities but if you can acquire #4 Buck shot pelets they should load quite nicely in those pistols being that they are .24" diameter.

scrat
September 5, 2008, 06:47 PM
ooohhhh im telling. she is gonna be mad
:neener:

scrat
September 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
Do it molds 1/4 should be .250. should be good for a cap and ball that would give you a good ring when loading.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=88

bonza
September 5, 2008, 08:26 PM
Flibuste, I used to have one of those revolvers, it was a lot of fun. It came from the factory with a supply of bullets that were the same as those used in .22 Short cartridges (29gns). I was living in Australia at the time, & when I ran out of bullets I contacted our local Winchester rep. & he got a box of a 1000 for me. Of course, Winchester had an ammo plant in Melbourne, so a source of components was readilly available. Finding a source for those may be difficult were you live, but you may want to check with the Winchester/Remington/Fiocchi, etc. distributors to see if you can buy some.
As far as molds go, there is a guy in England that makes very nice molds at a reasonable price & exports worldwide. He mainly makes roundball molds but may be able to help. His name is Jeff Tanner & he is a muzzleloader, so I'm sure he'd know what you need. Here's his email address jeff.ballmoulds@talktalk.net

Good Luck.

scrat
September 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
Bonza Good info very good. Thanks for sharing

1858rem
September 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
is that the same little .22 you can get off cabellas for about $250? it looked interesting. how well does it shoot-accuracy/range? how many grains of powder do you load up in it?

scrat
September 6, 2008, 01:52 AM
not the one that shoots with a primer only. i think its different. you see them alot on gunbroker
]

flibuste
September 6, 2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

I will try first with 22 Short bullet that I will extract from cartridges.
But this bullet is heeled based (I mean smaller diameter at the bottom than at the top) and made of hard lead : is not it a problem ?

If it works I will let you know the result of the shooting ( but probably not at 25 meters as I use to do it !!!!)

Thanks again to all

bonza
September 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Yes, the .22 Short bullets are heeled, as were the ones that came with the revolver from the factory. While they aren't pure lead, I'm sure they are soft enough to load easily into the chambers.
My revolver was made by Freedom Arms in Wyoming, the NAA (North American Arms) revolvers are made in Utah & are quite similar. Mine came with some bullets, a loading tool, & a powder scoop that would throw either 2gns of 3Fg or 1gn of Bullseye (as recommended by manufacturer), ignition was with #11 caps. They are not real user-friendly.....they have a tiny birdshead grip that you can barely get one finger around, & a spur trigger.....but a lot of fun! I think shooting them for 'accuracy' at 7 yards would be about right.

1858rem
September 7, 2008, 01:00 AM
wait a sec.. bullseye? it shoots smokeless as recommended by the manufacture????? cool!!!!! not a typo right?:eek:

1858rem
September 7, 2008, 01:02 AM
:scrutiny:

bonza
September 7, 2008, 11:30 AM
1858Rem, No not a typo Freedom Arms stated that either powder could be used. Actually, when you think about it, the percussion mini revolvers are the same gun as the .22LR versions only with a percussion cylinder & a different hammer (no firing pin), so pressure wouldn't be a problem.

RyanM
September 7, 2008, 11:33 AM
I've fired a magnum mini with the chambers completely stuffed with a couple different smokeless powders, no problem. Someone else I know has tried it with Bullseye. No problems, and a surprisingly low-pitched report. "BOOOOOOOM."

I've also used plated .22 LR bullets that I pulled. They worked fine, though they didn't shave any lead, so the chambers most likely were not sealed against the elements.

Chawbaccer
September 7, 2008, 12:32 PM
Would it be possible to have a hammer operated swage made for those small bullets? I don['t think it would take much force to massage such a small amount of lead.

bonza
September 7, 2008, 05:56 PM
You probably could, however unless you have machining capabilities, or know someone who does, cost may be prohibitive. Another possibilty may be to use .22 air rifle pellets(?).

1858rem
September 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
ok im really interested in one of these now! before i go burn up my money on one of these though... anyone have some actual numbers, as far as group size within 10 yd or so, velocity, and if you could machine a swag for the bullets that would be awesome too, but a simple bullet mold would be way easier.... i saw a primer cap maker in SAM FADALAS black powder pistol book that uses aluminum cans and kids caps, get all this together and it would be an awesome super cheep to shoot little plinker!:D

mike101
September 8, 2008, 09:46 PM
I have the larger one (Super Companion). I loaded it with a scoop full of Bullseye, and it managed to penetrate a 4" thick phone book, and the bullets flattened out on the metal backstop. It also bent the rear of the cylinder pin.

The gun still worked fine, and I could still remove the cylinder pin. I read of another guy on NAA's forum who had the same experience, but he had difficulty removing the pin.

I bought a new pin ($25), and I'm going to switch to Unique. Others on NAA's forum have tried it, and no complaints that I'm aware of.

My own gun was a real mess as it came from the factory. The chambers were so oversized that the bullets would just fall out. The bore was so oversized that most of the bullets would bounce off the phone book. The ones that didn't usually key-holed, and only penetrated about 1/2" into the phone book. Not one of them exhibited any rifling marks.

The accountant (Sandy Somebody) who owns NAA, tried to defend this apalling lack of quality control by saying that Dick Cassul designed the gun as a novelty. We got into a big back and forth over the matter, and I pretty much told him he was full of crap. He's an arrogant little cuss, and I'll never buy another NAA product. If he didn't have Jennifer (customer service) cleaning up after him, I don't think he'd be in business.

I had NAA replace the cylinder, and the new one was OK. They replaced the ultra cheesey cast barrel with the laughable rifling too, but I didn't even bother trying it. I sent it out and had a forged barrel installed, with real rifling. Then I got the results posted above.

PS- They do make oversized grips for them, and I strongly urge anyone who has a mini to give them a try.

http://www.naaminis.com/maggrip22.html

Clermont
September 9, 2008, 01:05 PM
The two North American Arms percussion revolvers shown, the Super Companion and the Mini Companion, were a limited edition of 3,000 that included gold highlighting and pearlite grips. Both have the same serial number 01XX/3000 and fluted cylinders that are normally found on the cartridge revolvers. Also shown, for comparison, is the earlier Freedom Arms percussion revolver. The cylinder locking notches on the Freedom Arms model are located more forward on the cylinder than on the North American Arms models.

sundance44s
September 9, 2008, 01:10 PM
If you want groups ...Get a large number of people together and take turns shooting it ...LOL

mike101
September 9, 2008, 06:35 PM
You ain't kiddin'. It took a while before I could hit a 50 foot pistol target consistently at 10 feet!

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet mould for NAA companion cal 22 BP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!