Mk. 211 Raufoss

PDA

skariaxil
September 5, 2008, 08:15 PM
How exactly does it work?
I've been to the Mk. 211's wikipedia article, but that didn't really help.
I've looked around on google, but aside from some wikipedia copies (or what what wikipedia has been copied from for all I care), there was nothing that helped me out either.
There was, however, this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCJFI7T6Zc. Taking the marine's word for true, apearantly the WC penetrator is launched into the target with about 1350m/s (or 4000 fps for those who don't see the use of SI units) upon impact because the incendiary mixture forms a cone and generates some kind of pressure (according to me, he said "eightyabatic pressure", But I'm pretty sure "eightyabatic" isn't a real word). I don't really see why pressure in front of an object makes the object fly in the direction the pressure comes from at speeds as high as mach 3.5 (unless the pressure is a vacuum, but that would put the pressure source behind the penetrator).

If you enjoyed reading about "Mk. 211 Raufoss" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jimmie
September 5, 2008, 08:40 PM
Sure it wasn't "adiabatic?"

Nolo
September 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome, Skariaxil!
If I am right, the Raufoss works a lot like shaped-charge warheads in anti-tank rounds.
The explosive mixture is ignited by a fuseless detonator and then acts as a sort of "second gun", propelling the tungsten projectile.

skariaxil
September 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
@Jimmy;
I guess to. Didn't know the word.
Even so, I don't see how that gets the penetrator to be launched outwards.

@Nolo;
If the explosive charge is to propell the penetrator out front, shouldn't the charge be behind the penetrator? I mean, seeing it's in front of the penetrator, the penetrator should shoot backwards, and not forwards, as it's intended to.

Nolo
September 9, 2008, 04:16 PM
The charge in the front, Skariaxil, is an igniting charge, not an explosive charge, by my understanding.
There are multiple charges in the Mk. 211, and the actual propellant charge is behind the peetrator, cupping it.
Strange...
According to the diagram in Wiki, the charge is indeed in front of the penetrator.
Maybe it is designed so that it is behind the penetrator after all the impact forces are "done".
Also, you should set your location, so that people know you're speaking English as a second language.

Owen
September 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
its a tungsten penetrator with a pyrotechnic train in front of it. If it hits a hard target the force ignites the pyrotechnic train, while the penetrator does its thing. By the time the train has burned through to the explosive, it is about 40cm beyond the impact point.

If it hits a person in the open, the charge goes off after the bullet has left the individual. If the person happens to be inside a vehicle...

50 Shooter
September 9, 2008, 07:30 PM
Here's a good explanation of the Raufoss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Explosive_Incendiary/Armor_Piercing_Ammunition

If you enjoyed reading about "Mk. 211 Raufoss" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!