Texas Kills Home Intruder With His own Gun Duplicate Threads Merged

PDA

jm159
September 3, 2008, 09:28 AM
Home Invasion suspect is shot and killed by homeowner:

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/880230.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas Kills Home Intruder With His own Gun Duplicate Threads Merged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lewis130
September 3, 2008, 09:39 AM
Good.

hhersh
September 3, 2008, 10:37 AM
I know that family who was invaded is going thru a lot of trauma now, but they did the right thing by fighting back. More of us need to do this and maybe the criminals will get the message !!:fire:

tuckerdog1
September 3, 2008, 11:30 AM
Happened in TX. Good. No grief from the authorities.

Hose off the driveway, and get back to business as usual.

Tuckerdog1

Old Grump
September 3, 2008, 11:44 AM
Another good example of what happens when somebody refuses to be a victim. Its not what you got but what you do with what you do have.

W.E.G.
September 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
[Filter VIBE]
That's why I say, "Hey Man...nice shot."
[/VIBE]

kjeff50cal
September 3, 2008, 11:50 AM
Darwin Award goes to....

Both men ran, but the one later identified as Benoit came back to fight again.

"That's when they dispatched him," Cain said.

Chuck Spears
September 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
Why were those two even walking the street with criminal records like that?

Omaney
September 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
Great! Another thug is gone.

texas bulldog
September 3, 2008, 01:17 PM
looks like a good shoot.

Josh Aston
September 3, 2008, 01:44 PM
Maybe next time they'll have their own gun instead of having to fight one away from the thugs.

IndianaBoy
September 3, 2008, 01:51 PM
<-------- I love happy endings.

BruceRDucer
September 3, 2008, 01:54 PM
God bless that family. They had to fight for their very lives. No joke.

Any one crashing my door like that, won't live beyond 3 seconds, I guarantee.

Z-Michigan
September 3, 2008, 02:06 PM
I like this note:

The weapon's barrel, he added, had been illegally chopped down to 17 inches.

Brilliant! They commit another felony (along with the 20 others) while getting no tactical advantage! I know most criminals are dumb, but wow.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 3, 2008, 02:19 PM
DEATH BY BUCKSHOT [...]

Both men ran, but the one later identified as Benoit came back to fight again.

"That's when they dispatched him," Cain said.

:D :evil:

romma
September 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
Wow! Good job homeowners...

Travis McGee
September 3, 2008, 03:41 PM
"Death by Buckshot"

I love the writing in this article.

doc2rn
September 3, 2008, 03:44 PM
Good Guys +2

Another reason why Castle Doctrine works.

scott22
September 3, 2008, 03:47 PM
I said good out loud before even clicking the thread. Then it opens and the first comment is "Good" hahah

SSN Vet
September 3, 2008, 04:23 PM
the eternal principle of sewing and reaping played out in one act.

RobertRogers
September 3, 2008, 04:33 PM
If these thugs thought most people were armed, there would be far fewer home invasions, robberies, rapes, etc.

SCKimberFan
September 3, 2008, 04:33 PM
Best line of the story:

"It seems like they weren't in their full faculties."

Obviously not.

Bailey Boat
September 3, 2008, 04:39 PM
We just had one of those here in Charlotte yesterday. Homeowner comes home, strange car in the driveway, finds side door kicked in, confronts intruder inside the house, intruder charges homeowner, homeowner drops his sorry azz on the spot, DRT........ Intruder has a sheet as long as my leg, why is he even out on the street???? Won't happen again......

ColinthePilot
September 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
Great job, but wouldn't it be easier to have your own shotgun? Sounds like the 12yo son was the only one remotely prepared, grabbing his young sister and hiding with the best defensive tool he had. The whole family seems to be able to think on its feet.

scott22
September 3, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sounds like the 12yo son was the only one remotely prepared, grabbing his young sister and hiding with the best defensive tool he had. The whole family seems to be able to think on its feet.
Not to be nitpicky but you kinda contradicted yourself there....

Anyway, they did good and the fact that the son grabbed his younger sister and the shotgun shows that he not only had skills in shooting but also parenting.

rugerman07
September 3, 2008, 05:43 PM
"Keith Hoehn probably won't face charges for killing Benoit, although it is common for a grand jury to review such a case."

Re: What's to review? The Hoehn's were defending themselves. It's a clear cut case of self defense!

jakemccoy
September 3, 2008, 05:45 PM
Holy crap, this case deals with almost every issue discussed on gun forums about home invasions.

bdickens
September 3, 2008, 05:51 PM
"Keith Hoehn probably won't face charges for killing Benoit, although it is common for a grand jury to review such a case."

Re: What's to review? The Hoehn's were defending themselves. It's a clear cut case of self defense!

Every shooting in Texas goes to the Grand Jury.

JImbothefiveth
September 3, 2008, 05:57 PM
Holy cow, this case deals with almost every issue discussed on gun forums about home invasions
It looks like the buckshot wasn't a one shot stop either time. (One guy drove away, the other charged after the first shot, then was stopped by the second.)

And remember, train in weapon retention!

tigre
September 3, 2008, 06:27 PM
Wow, I know right where that is! My brother lives about two miles away. I'm sure glad they fought back. Nobody should have to go through that, and who knows how many other people they saved from having to deal with these thugs.

I did laugh at the part where she whacked the guy in the head with the candle. Good thinking. :D

RobNDenver
September 3, 2008, 06:27 PM
Great story!! Never give up, never give in to this kind of threat. Take the fight to the bg who has less mental stamina than a determined honest man and woman protecting their home.

FourTeeFive
September 3, 2008, 06:32 PM
Not to switch the thread, but this is a good example why some of us LIKE having manual safeties on guns.

Starship1st
September 3, 2008, 06:56 PM
Now I hope both home owners go out an buy self defense weapons and get get defensive training for themselves and their spouses. This could of easily ended in the deaths of two families by these scum.

It is fortunate that the second family decide to fight back. :fire:

jakemccoy
September 3, 2008, 06:59 PM
I just sent this article to a friend who's gun-ignorant. He has a wife and two kids and lives in Dallas. We'll see how it goes...

ProficientRifleman
September 3, 2008, 07:31 PM
Cain said he was preparing an arrest warrant for Pierson on a charge of burglary of a habitation with intent to commit another felony.

***, over?

Sean Dempsey
September 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
I am glad it was a shotgun and not a .45, or half the city might have been obliterated.

Terrifying story though. I have my .357 model 28 under the bed in a gunvault, and then 2 J-frames in the closet, and a pump action 12g there too. I still don't know how to make the guns more accessible with a 3 year old son, so in a midnight frenzy though, I just hope the .357 in the gun vault can be reached fast enough.

But, I do have a highly advanced German early warning alarm system. 2 actually.

3KillerBs
September 3, 2008, 09:27 PM
There can't be too much praise for this family who dared to fight back.

I loved the part where the wife let go of the shotgun just long enough to pop the bad guy on the head with a candle. If more people were determined to do what they could instead of whining about what they couldn't do our society would be a better place.

And an extra dose of back-patting for the boy doing his best to protect his sister. He may only be 12 but he's more of a man than many male persons two and three times his age.

jakemccoy
September 3, 2008, 10:53 PM
It's possible the Hoehns had a gun but didn't get to it in time. The article doesn't say. Also, it sounds like the husband may have had at least some experience with an 870.

Mickstix
September 3, 2008, 11:17 PM
Soon as I read "Sawed off shotgun" I thought, oh no, the homeowners are in trouble.. Was very glad to read they actually took it off the BG's, and shot their azz with it!! :D

gidaeon
September 3, 2008, 11:42 PM
that little boy will grow to keep and bear more than pellet guns when he is of age.

ChrisVV
September 3, 2008, 11:52 PM
"they dispatched him" Everybody dies, some get dispatched.

daddy-o
September 4, 2008, 12:08 AM
This is exactly what my wife was tellng me "never happens" last week. Needless to say it's in her inbox.

Happened right near her hometown too.

rbernie
September 4, 2008, 01:02 AM
In case the link gets pulled:

Blue Mound couple: 'We're fighting for our lives'
By BILL MILLERwmiller@star-telegram.com

BLUE MOUND -- Grappling over a shotgun with a 300-pound man who had just burst into his home and threatened his wife, Keith Hoehn had but one thought. "It was like a horror movie," he said. "I thought I was a dead man. We're fighting for our lives."

The overnight crime spree began late Tuesday when two suspects robbed a family in north Fort Worth and then drove the family's van to Blue Mound where they tried to do the same thing at the Globe Street home of Keith and Kellie Hoehn. "Very overt, very crazy" is how Blue Mound Police Lt. Thomas Cain described the fracas.

The Hoehns, both 34, feared that they and their children were about to be killed, so they battled the suspects.Keith Hoehn struggled to get the sawed-off shotgun, while his wife grabbed the muzzle, trying to keep it pointed away from the rooms of the couple's son, 12, and 5-year-old daughter. That went on for about five minutes, Keith Hoehn said. He finally managed to get the shotgun away from the larger of the two attackers and turned it on both of them.

Dakota Scott Benoit, 20, of Richland Hills was fatally wounded and John Garland Pierson, 25, of Haltom City was in critical condition and police custody at the hospital. Keith Hoehn, a subcontractor who works with water filtration systems, stood on his blood-sprinkled porch Wednesday and wearily retold his story to a steady stream of journalists. His knuckles were scraped raw and his back and legs were marked by cuts and bruises. Kellie Hoehn preferred to let her husband do most of the talking.

"We have been crying for hours, wondering how we even survived," Keith Hoehn said. "How could I have fought off a 300-pound man? When he got shot he kept coming. I got to figure he wasn't sober."

Public records show that Benoit and Pierson both have extensive criminal histories. The Blue Mound incident was the second home invasion they tried to pull off late Tuesday and early Wednesday, investigators said. The first one was reported at 11:11 p.m. on Calico Rock Drive in Fort Worth, about a mile east of the home in Blue Mound, according to police reports. Cain and Lt. Paul Henderson, Fort Worth police spokesman, said they didn't know how the robbers chose which houses to hit.

Keith Hoehn said he didn't know the robbers or why they targeted his home.

Perhaps, Cain said, they were "crimes of opportunity." "Just snatch and grab and go," he said.

In the first incident, the gun-wielding men entered the home on Calico Rock Drive through an open garage door and went to a bedroom where they confronted the 38-year-old homeowner and his wife, Henderson said. They demanded valuables, Henderson said. The homeowner, Henderson said, is a participant in the police department's Code Blue crime watch program, and the gunmen took his police radio. They also got a laptop, a wallet, a jewelry box, and the family's van -- a red Honda Odyssey, Henderson said.

"Children were inside the house asleep and were not harmed," Henderson said. "There were no reported injuries during this robbery."

The men took the loot and drove the family's red van to the home in Blue Mound. They kicked in the front door there at about 12:23 p.m., police said. "I was sleeping and all of a sudden they busted through the door," Keith Hoehn said. "My wife had a 12-gauge in her face, and he told her 'Don't you scream, bitch, or I'll blow your F-in head off.' "Well ... she did scream." "I screamed for my husband," Kellie Hoehn said. The gunman turned the Remington 870 pump-action shotgun toward Keith Hoehn. "I thought he was going to blow my head plumb off," Hoehn said. But Kellie grabbed the muzzle, and the struggle began. "We just tackled him," Keith Hoehn said of the man, who probably outweighed him by about 90 pounds. "I'm 220 (pounds)," he said. "All I could do was try to hold onto that shotgun. "My wife was trying to keep the muzzle away from the kids' rooms. I looked down and I saw he was pulling on the trigger the whole time. "I found out later that the safety was on -- praise the Lord." Kellie let go long enough to grab a jar candle, Keith said, "and she popped him in the head."

Then she started battling the attacker's accomplice who had a handgun, Keith said. The couple's son grabbed his little sister and they hid in a closet with a pellet gun, Keith said. The fracas spilled out onto the front lawn, where Keith Hoehn finally seized the shotgun. He fumbled with the safety and then shot at Pierson, who was already in the van, wounding him. "My wife said he had a gun," Keith said. "I didn't know if he was going to shoot us." Then he fired at Benoit. "He got right back up," Keith said, "and started charging me again. "Well, I shot him again, and I guess that was it." Police and ambulance crews arrived and took Benoit to John Peter Smith Hospital. He died at 1:13 a.m. in the emergency room from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office. Pierson, meanwhile, ran to the office complex for Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, 2600 Lou Menk Drive in Fort Worth, about a mile north of the home on Globe. Railroad police found him trying to clean up in a company fountain, Henderson said. Pierson was turned over to Fort Worth police and was then taken to JPS where he was in critical condition Wednesday, Henderson said.

Cain said he was preparing an arrest warrant for Pierson on a charge of burglary of a habitation with intent to commit another felony. Henderson speculated that Keith Hoehn probably won't face charges for killing Benoit, although it is common for a grand jury to review such a case. Tarrant County records show Pierson has nine convictions dating to 2000 on drug charges, theft, assault and unlawfully carrying a weapon. He was most recently sentenced to 45 days in jail on July 17 on a misdemeanor conviction of possession of marijuana, records show. Benoit was sentenced to three years deferred adjudication probation in May 2007 on two charges of possession of a controlled substance, one out of Haltom City and the other out of Euless. Court records show he also had a misdemeanor conviction for criminal trespassing.

Cain said he couldn't explain why Benoit, having been hit once with buckshot, would come back to fight some more. "A person in (his) right mind wouldn't do that," Cain said. "This (was) very overt, very crazy. "It seems like they weren't in their full faculties." The Hoehns on Wednesday were left with questions that may never get answered. "Why couldn't he just steal my car?" Keith Hoehn asked. "Why come into my house? You wouldn't have gotten anything more." He concluded that his family was alive Wednesday through God's protection and his wife's courage. "She's the one who set things in motion," he said. "Most people would probably say 'Take what you want,' but we thought we were going to die.

"I'm sorry it had to happen, but I can't help the way people are."

XD Fan
September 4, 2008, 01:09 AM
Good on the Hoehns.

ArfinGreebly
September 4, 2008, 01:11 AM
I was gonna make a cute remark about "see, they'll just take it away and use it on you."

There ain't nothin' cute about this.

Man did what he had to do, his family is alive, and a very bad dude is off the streets.

That's self defense in spades.

Ain't no victims in that family.

I'd be right proud to call a man like that "friend."

jakemccoy
September 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
Well, as I said above, I told my friend in Dallas about this case. His response was that the homeowners may not go to the grand jury in Texas but they'd definitely got to the grand jury in other state. He completely glossed over my point, which was that he should consider becoming a gun owner to protect his family, which includes a wife and two kids.

tigre
September 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well, as I said above, I told my friend in Dallas about this case. His response was that the homeowners may not go to the grand jury in Texas but they'd definitely got to the grand jury in other state.
Well, the case is going before a grand jury in Texas, but it's pretty much just a formality. Is there actually a place in this country where someone could be in legal trouble in a situation like this? That would be insane.

On another note, I sent this one to someone as well, my mom. I told her to look up the streets the incidents occurred on, and she was stunned. I used to take a shortcut around that neighborhood to avoid the freeway interchange, and I know she has too, so we know right where it is. Right across the highway from the movie theater and several restaurants we've both been to plenty of times. The seeming randomness of it really got to her, and she said she was thinking it would be a good idea to get a gun. Her cousin had told her to get a pump-action shotgun and not to bother with ammunition, which I hopefully convinced her was a very bad idea. The conversation was good though, and I finally told her I'd bought a gun myself and sent her to A Human Right and Cornered Cat to do some reading. Good stuff. This story just seems to be one that hits a nerve.

chris in va
September 5, 2008, 01:49 AM
I like this quote...

"My wife was trying to keep the muzzle away from the kids' rooms. I looked down and I saw he was pulling on the trigger the whole time.

"I found out later that the safety was on -- praise the Lord."

CHEVELLE427
September 5, 2008, 03:58 AM
1 gone and many more to come.

alsaqr
September 5, 2008, 06:19 AM
Hose off the driveway, and get back to business as usual.

Way to go, Texas.

This is where OK has it over Texas. In OK the prosecutor does not have to take the case to a grand jury. Our prosecutor has declined to take two righteous shooting cases to the grand jury in the past year.

Suppose the prosecutor declines to take the case to a grand jury in OK: If the family of the deceased scumbag wants a grand jury they have to collect thousands of signatures on a petition.

Raccoon
September 5, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm curious how this would play out in an anti-gun state. Would the home-owners be charged with possession of a weapon that a home invader brought into the home? Civil suits aside (from the families of the attackers), I'm curious which states would have the gull to put Keith Hoehn behind bars for protecting his family.

"Well, once he took the gun, he didn't -have- to shoot the attacker... blah blah blah..."

I just want a list of states to avoid living in.

shdwfx
September 5, 2008, 12:28 PM
I just want a list of states to avoid living in.

I know the secession option was ruled null and void 143 year past, but is there a way to KICK OUT states from the union: NY, NJ, MA, CA, IL? Purging ourselves of those five would be a.w.e.s.o.m.e.! (apologies to THR members living in these Western Bloc states).

Go TX!

Chuck Spears
September 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
Glad to see that this story made the "Most Popular" section on Yahoo News. It's number nine on the "Most Recommended" part. I'm going to help bump it up. Would be nice if others do the same.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/intruders_shot;_ylt=ArCPU7yeW2ILetObrIeHdtUDW7oF

Raccoon
September 5, 2008, 01:33 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/30beqgn.gif (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/intruders_shot)

Click these links beneath the story. It also helps if you IM or Email the story to someone (or yourself).
The Yahoo Buzz link is most important; it only has 31 clicks so far.

macadore
September 5, 2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417122,00.html

Thursday , September 04, 2008

BLUE MOUND, Texas ó
When two gunmen smashed through the glass front door of her suburban Fort Worth home, Kellie Hoehn didn't think twice.

The 34-year-old mother of two grabbed a shotgun that had been pointed at her face early Wednesday, starting a struggle that ended with one intruder killed with his own weapon and another in the hospital.

"I wasn't going to let them get to my babies," she said, recalling the moment when she pushed up the muzzle of the shotgun, pointing it away from her children's rooms.

Although the intruders told her to keep quiet, she screamed for her husband. She told her 12-year-old son, who was awakened by the sound of the shattering glass front door, to get his 5-year-old sister and hide.

"It was like a horror movie," her husband, 32-year-old Keith Hoehn, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I thought I was a dead man. We're fighting for our lives."

With Kellie Hoehn clinging to the weapon's muzzle, her husband tackled the man who held the shotgun. She knocked the intruder in the head with a jar candle, giving her husband a chance to wrest the shotgun.

By then the tussle had spilled out onto the front lawn. Keith Hoehn shot one of the men who had a pistol, police said. Wounded, that man ran away.
Then the intruder who initially had the shotgun charged Keith Hoehn.
Kellie Hoehn told The Dallas Morning News that she screamed at her husband, "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him."

Her husband fired the shotgun and the man fell to the ground. Then the shot man lunged a second time.

"Well, I shot him again, and I guess that was it," Keith Hoehn said.
Dakota Scott Benoit, 20, of Richland Hills, was pronounced dead at a hospital. John Garland Pierson, 25, of Haltom City, was in critical condition and in police custody at the hospital.

"I am not happy that someone is dead," Kellie Hoehn said. "But I am glad that my family is alive."

Police said Pierson was shot in the left arm and the bullet pierced his diaphragm and other organs but his condition was improving. He will face charges of burglary of habitation with intent to commit another felony, police said.

Investigators say the couple were just defending their family and probably won't be charged.

MakAttak
September 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have very little to comment on the article except, isn't the article mis-titled?

Seems to me the husband, Keith, shot the intruders. She fought them off, but, unless the criminal died from a candle to the head, the husband did the killing.

Why the misleading title? (This is a question for Fox News, not for the original poster.)

mbt2001
September 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
Police said Pierson was shot in the left arm and the bullet pierced his diaphragm and other organs but his condition was improving. He will face charges of burglary of habitation with intent to commit another felony, police said.

uhhhh

I was really worried about that... Yeah, I wonder who pays the med bills? Yeah, thank uhhhh goodness he is uhhhhh making a uhhhh speedy uhhhh recovery.

:barf:

Poper
September 5, 2008, 01:53 PM
"I'm sorry it had to happen, but I can't help the way people are."No doubt.
Unfortunately, there are a lot more scumbags like that running around loose. :mad:

Stay safe... And prepared!

Poper

SN13
September 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
Investigators say the couple were just defending their family and probably won't be charged.

This one word ruins the article.

PROBABLY WON'T? ***. How about:

Investigators say the couple was (the couple were is improper. ONE COUPLE WAS not ONE COUPLE WERE... MORONS) just defending their family; they won't be charged. The burglar who survived will be billed for hospital expenses, the cost of repairs to the home and will be charged with manslaughter for being part of a crime which resulted in death.

(I'd Like to see criminals who survive crimes, where they used a gun, charged with attempted murder, or in this case, manslaughter as they were part of the cause of death.)

mbt2001
September 5, 2008, 02:15 PM
(I'd Like to see criminals who survive crimes, where they used a gun, charged with attempted murder, or in this case, manslaughter as they were part of the cause of death.)

I think that this generally goes to the point that the DA's and what not are not serving the people anymore.

He should charged with manslaughter, burglary, criminal mischief, felony discharge of a firearm, criminal possesion of a firearm, assualt (4 counts), brandishing, breaking and entering, vandalism, disturbing the peace, vagrancy, trespassing, extortion (4 counts)... and anything else they can possibly throw at him.

EDIT

If punished all of them like this, we might not have such an accute problem. Instead, Jack McCoy at the DA's office offers him Criminal Mischief as a plea with 2 weeks in prison and 5 years probation or something...

Fred Fuller
September 5, 2008, 02:53 PM
Folks, this isn't Legal- it's S&T.

Keep it on topic or it'll be gone.

lpl

lowracer
September 5, 2008, 02:55 PM
That settles it. I'm frickin' moving back to Texas. :)

I can only imagine what kinds of trouble these people would be in, had this happened to them here in California.

Headless
September 5, 2008, 02:55 PM
Just re-enforces the idea that fighting for your life is probably the best choice you can make in a situation like this.

OFT
September 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
There will be no charges. It's Texas.

macadore
September 5, 2008, 04:39 PM
What impressed me was the womanís strategy and tactics. First, she pushed the muzzle up and away from her family. Then she screamed and alerted her family. Finally, she attacked with a candle jar. She was the consummate frontier warrior. Surprised, outgunned, and overpowered, she responded with enough intensity to turn the situation to her advantage. When her husband finally got the gun she screamed "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him". There was no hesitation and no doubt in her mind what needed to be done. After the shooting, she said, "I am not happy that someone is dead, but I am glad that my family is alive". That was the prefect response. We should all have such presence of mind.

545days
September 5, 2008, 08:14 PM
The investigator stated that they "probably" wouldn't be charged because it is not the investigator's decision to make. In Texas, the case will be presented to a grand jury, with or without a recommendation to charge by the DA. The grand jury then decides whether to charge them.

Remember, sometimes an out and out murder is claimed as self defense, and many cases of legitimate self defense take place without witnesses. The grand jury system is a check and balance built into our legal system, not a conspiracy to target gun owners.

Titan6
September 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
I was completely amazed that one unarmed female was able to over power two armed men who had the drop on her. That is a serious woman to contend with there. But if you read the article and not the headline you can see it is the husband who shot both men, not the wife. Amazing that some of the worst reporting consistently comes out of Texas, I wish there was some explanation.

The only down side is that it proves what the anti's have been saying all along.... you are 28.7 times more likely to be killed by your own gun that an assailant takes away from you.... maybe this isn't what they had in mind.

JackBurtonJr
September 5, 2008, 09:10 PM
Always remember... a gun is just a tool... YOU are the weapon...-----------------------------------------------------------

BLUE MOUND, Texas ó When two gunmen smashed through the glass front door of her suburban Fort Worth home, Kellie Hoehn didn't think twice.

The 34-year-old mother of two grabbed a shotgun that had been pointed at her face early Wednesday, starting a struggle that ended with one intruder killed with his own weapon and another in the hospital.

"I wasn't going to let them get to my babies," she said, recalling the moment when she pushed up the muzzle of the shotgun, pointing it away from her children's rooms.

Although the intruders told her to keep quiet, she screamed for her husband. She told her 12-year-old son, who was awakened by the sound of the shattering glass front door, to get his 5-year-old sister and hide.

"It was like a horror movie," her husband, 32-year-old Keith Hoehn, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I thought I was a dead man. We're fighting for our lives."

With Kellie Hoehn clinging to the weapon's muzzle, her husband tackled the man who held the shotgun. She knocked the intruder in the head with a jar candle, giving her husband a chance to wrest the shotgun.

By then the tussle had spilled out onto the front lawn. Keith Hoehn shot one of the men who had a pistol, police said. Wounded, that man ran away.

Then the intruder who initially had the shotgun charged Keith Hoehn.

Kellie Hoehn told The Dallas Morning News that she screamed at her husband, "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him."

Her husband fired the shotgun and the man fell to the ground. Then the shot man lunged a second time.

"Well, I shot him again, and I guess that was it," Keith Hoehn said.

Dakota Scott Benoit, 20, of Richland Hills, was pronounced dead at a hospital. John Garland Pierson, 25, of Haltom City, was in critical condition and in police custody at the hospital.

"I am not happy that someone is dead," Kellie Hoehn said. "But I am glad that my family is alive."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417122,00.html

SCKimberFan
September 5, 2008, 09:12 PM
Duplicate thread, but still 1 for the good guys. Another threat ended.

Bw2k2000
September 5, 2008, 09:36 PM
thats my kind of woman!!!!!! Any woman who will wrestle a guy with a loaded shotgun is on hell of a woman.

kentucky_Dave
September 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
+1 more for the good guys

FieroCDSP
September 5, 2008, 09:57 PM
You fight and keep fighting until the fight is done. Good work by the mother. She gained the initiative quickly, which the BGs weren't expecting, and didn't let it go. Once you have the enemy reacting to your actions, keep them there.

scrat
September 5, 2008, 09:59 PM
there is a movie on something like this i saw a few weeks ago. think called felon. guy hits someone with a baseball bat that was breaking in his house. The guy dyes on his front lawn. then the police have to arrest the victim because the suspect died in the front yard not in his house. so he was in prison for i think like 5 years

M2 Carbine
September 5, 2008, 10:17 PM
My friend lives in Blue Mound. He said there was a lot of excitement.

A few months back a 80 year old man took the shotgun away from a home invasion punk and shot him with it.

Then there was the Grandmother that fought a carjacker, took his pistol and shot him in the stomach with it.

There's been a number of other criminals shot and killed in Texas lately.

JackBurtonJr
September 5, 2008, 10:22 PM
A few months back a 80 year old man took the shotgun away from a home invasion punk and shot him with it.

That's one of the reasons why I am a little hesitant to go with the idea that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon.

Blofeld
September 5, 2008, 10:31 PM

This is the part that annoys me. Probably.:fire:

macadore
September 5, 2008, 10:32 PM

Another interesting point on stopping power. The man had to be shot twice at close range with a shotgun before he stopped. Apparently he did not know he was supposed to run when he heard the sound of a shotgun slide racking.

I agree with what others have said about the writing. Itís disgraceful.

M2 Carbine
September 5, 2008, 10:51 PM

This is the part that annoys me. Probably.

They will absolutely not be charged.
IF an "investigator" in fact said this he is an idiot.
You can't really believe the news media's facts reporting anything.

In the newspaper account of an accidental shooting at the local gun store, the ONLY thing the newspaper got right was the Sheriff's name.

JohnKSa
September 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
I can't believe these folks survived. An unarmed couple taking on two armed men (one article said the other attacker was armed with a pistol) and not only surviving but also triumphing is pretty amazing.

What I want to know is what the other attacker with the pistol was doing while his buddy was wrestling with the couple?

Anyway, the moral of the story is that it's always better to have your own gun. It's a lot of work to take your attacker's gun from him...

oneshooter
September 6, 2008, 10:54 AM
A lot of stopping power depends on what the shotgun was loaded with. Criminals are not very choosy on thier ammo. They tend to use the weapon for the fear factor.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

SCKimberFan
September 6, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thread #3 on this story. Doesn't anyone use the search feature?

FourTeeFive
September 6, 2008, 11:38 AM
Public opinion poll regarding this story. Please vote:

http://news.aol.com/article/texas-couple-turns-tables-on-gunmen/161549

FourTeeFive
September 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
Public opinion poll regarding this story. Please vote:

http://news.aol.com/article/texas-couple-turns-tables-on-gunmen/161549

Blofeld
September 6, 2008, 11:53 AM
Voted. As it is, 2525 people out there think they weren't justified.:banghead:

I have attempted to have rational, logical discussions with people like the 2525 who think they should be charged.

I have always regretted the attempt.:banghead:

SaxonPig
September 6, 2008, 12:16 PM
Suspect?

Patrick Henry
September 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
I am glad it was a shotgun and not a .45, or half the city might have been obliterated.

Exactly. If that had been a .45 instead of a wimpy 12 gauge :p, you would have seen the mushroom cloud for miles. :D

scastle
September 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
Wow! What an amazing story. I had a smile from ear to ear while reading it. One less thug to worry about. I am so glad this family made it through such a dreadful situation. Now maybe they will go out and buy a shotgun of their own. Hopefully others will learn from this story too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas Kills Home Intruder With His own Gun Duplicate Threads Merged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!