375-50BMG wildcat

PDA

Matt304
September 5, 2008, 10:58 PM
Just what is this 375-50 BMG Ackley Improved wildcat that I have been seeing on barrel and die making lists?

It has to be some form of shortened version. I can't picture any powder being slow enough for a full-length version.

If you enjoyed reading about "375-50BMG wildcat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strongbad
September 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
State Arms used to actually build a 375/50. I'm sure it didn't sell well and, they didn't offer it after the first few years. I believe Klaus (the owner) called it the "Mach 5" and he sold custom made lathe turned 375 bullets for it. Either way, the 375/50 is nothing new.

General Geoff
September 5, 2008, 11:10 PM
.22 eargesplitten-loudenboomer is much cooler :)

though I'd imagine the 375/50 would be more useful, heh

JesseL
September 5, 2008, 11:27 PM
Sounds like the kind thing that would need a long barrel and really heavy for caliber bullets (400gr+ ?)to make any kind of sense.

mgregg85
September 5, 2008, 11:50 PM
When are they gonna neck the .50 BMG down to the .17 caliber?

I'm tired of waiting, it would be the perfect squirrel/small critter rifle. A 17 grain, .17 caliber bullet going ~8,000 fps, what more could you want?

I want my .17/50 BMG Mall Ninja Magnum! And I want it in a breakdown NEF handi-rifle(small enough for a briefcase for my three man rapid tactical team).

Matt304
September 6, 2008, 12:36 AM

I'm tired of waiting, it would be the perfect squirrel/small critter rifle. A 17 grain, .17 caliber bullet going ~8,000 fps, what more could you want?

I want my .17/50 BMG Mall Ninja Magnum! And I want it in a breakdown NEF handi-rifle(small enough for a briefcase for my three man rapid tactical team).

Right...glad you could add your thoughts. :rolleyes:

So, I'm still asking the same question. What is this cartridge? A shortened BMG case? If 416 Barrett needs extra slow powder, how can a 375 in a 50BMG case come anywhere near workable pressures? The powder, one would think, would have to be much slower than the slowest BMG powders.

JesseL
September 6, 2008, 12:41 AM
There are some really slow surplus powders available. The kind of stuff they use in 20mm+ cannons.

Tarvis
September 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
Really really long barrel and a short barrel life, or that's what my tiny brain comes up with. It would give the opportunity for a super long bullet with a ridiculous ballistic coefficient because it is an a-typical bullet in the first place, so nothing from the major manufacturers will be available. If you're gonna have to shoot a custom made bullet, it might as well be the most efficient bullet comprehend able. With a case the size of a 50 bmg case, you can tailor extreme performance in either direction caliber wise, but it seems that 375 is getting pretty close to the bottom of the usefulness end of the spectrum.

Deer Hunter
September 6, 2008, 01:17 AM
A guy on this board produced a .243-50 wildcat. It's the lowest he could go without the bullets ripping themselves appart.

mgregg85
September 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
A guy on this board produced a .243-50 wildcat. It's the lowest he could go without the bullets ripping themselves appart.

How about machined, tool steel bullets for my .17/50 BMG MNM?

Now I've just gotta figure out where to buy some 2" diameter, .223 caliber barrel stock and .17 to .223 sabots.

Wes Janson
September 6, 2008, 11:20 PM

The trick is going to be finding the right barrel length such that you can fully copper-plate the barrel with each shot, without running out of bullet before you run out of barrel.

Matt304
September 7, 2008, 12:13 AM
I can't imagine a 375-50 having a throat life of more than 500 shots, with a full BMG case unshortened. That is over 250 grains capacity. Even the .416 Barrett was shortened to around 200 grains capacity. To get anywhere near proper charge density with a .375 bullet in a full BMG case would mean pressures far greater than BMG pressures with even the slowest BMG powders. So I'm curious to know how it would even be remotely possible to neck a BMG to .243! How would you choose the correct surplus powder to even make an attempt at doing that?

slzy
September 7, 2008, 07:31 PM
top fuel and funny cars are re-ringed and respringed,at least,after every run.

all these 50bmg wildcats will be based on your ability to pay as you play.

If you enjoyed reading about "375-50BMG wildcat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!