Question on Scope Mounting

PDA

Kestrel
September 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
Years ago, an experienced hunter and rifle shooter showed me how he would put a small strip of electrical tape inside the scope rings on his rifles, to prevent slipping from recoil. I've never seen anyone else do this. Is that a good idea?

I'm mounting a couple of Leupolds in some Badger rings and was going to lap the rings and put some kind of compound in the rings for more grip. Is the compound a good idea? (I don't remember the name of the stuff offhand.)

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Scope Mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
September 6, 2008, 01:19 AM
Lap the rings for proper fit to the scope tube. If you're worried about the scope slipping, degrease the scope tube and inside the rings with alcohol. Then use a drop of blue locktite between the lower rings and scope tube.

CRITGIT
September 6, 2008, 02:29 AM
Lots of ring manufacturers supply a bit of tape material just for this purpose.

CRITGIT

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Scope Mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!