Possible to add carrying handle to DSA FAL?

PDA

dodging230grainers
September 6, 2008, 01:21 AM
Just wondering, would it be possible to add a carrying handle to a DSA FAL 16" Carbine that normally did not come with one? Is the process to add one simple, or does it need gunsmithing?

Can I just buy this and be good to go?

http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?928.htm&1

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible to add carrying handle to DSA FAL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frightener 88
September 6, 2008, 02:07 AM
I think it depends on if there is a cut in the reciever to accept the carry handle. If it isnt there, then Id imagine it isnt going to be a drop in feature. im no expert, just own an fal.

wayne in boca
September 6, 2008, 04:44 AM
DSA makes their receivers with and without carry handle cut.If it is carry handle cut,just loosen the gas tube (and maybe remove the spacer)to install a new handle.Costs around 15 bucks.
If it is not already cut for one,would not be worth the expense to change it,IMHO.

Bwana John
September 6, 2008, 10:06 AM
It's Not a Bloody Purse! :cuss:

hksw
September 6, 2008, 12:23 PM
Eh, the carry handle comes in handy at times.

dodging230grainers
September 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
thanks for the replies.

Also, can I swap out the STG58 handguards for authentic FAL handguards? I like the 3-slotted original look better.

Can this be done myself?

kfranz
September 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
HG's are a quick swap. StG58 HG's ARE authentic, unless DSA is running US versions.

dodging230grainers
September 6, 2008, 01:51 PM
cool.
Would I need this handguard, since my DSA FAL is a 16" carbine?

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=US021M

Bwana John
September 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
Would I need this handguard, since my DSA FAL is a 16" carbine?
That would depend on if you got the short gas system or not.

The short gas system tends to be more reliable with 16" barrels, but you loose sight radias.

dodging230grainers
September 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
That would depend on if you got the short gas system or not.

How do I know? Mine is the standard DSA STG-58 16" Carbine. Don't all of DSA's carbines have the short gas system?

TexasRifleman
September 6, 2008, 08:41 PM
I guess my question would be why you want a handle on such a short rifle anyway :)

powermad
September 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you have the metal handgaurds on it now, it is a normal length gas system that will have a short gas tube. Not to be confused with a short gas system.

DSA has carbine (16") normal & short gas system rigs.

powermad
September 6, 2008, 09:02 PM
Here is a 16" barreled short gas system rig to compare with.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/powermad69/fal.jpg

dodging230grainers
September 6, 2008, 10:37 PM
Powermad,

that makes me jealous. Nice gun.

On my DSA carbine now sits the STG- style handguards, not the 3- slotted Belgium style handguards. I don't think the STG's are that short.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible to add carrying handle to DSA FAL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!