Transporting your Toys?

PDA

oneshooter
September 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have a question for our UK and other "out of state" shooters. With the draconian laws concerning firearms there, how do you transport from home to range and back, armoured car? Or do the weapons remain at the range? This pertains mainly to BP PISTOLS, PISTOLS being treated as the devils own tools by the govment.:cuss: But some laws refer to rifles also.:banghead:
This holds true for a few of the states also.
Here in TEXAS I just case them, if they will fit in a case, and away I go. :D :D
Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

There I FIXED it!!!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
— Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Not so lean
Not so mean
STILL a Marine!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Transporting your Toys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
September 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
Same way i treat all my guns. Long arms i always put them in the zipper style soft padded carriers. All handguns regardless of type go in my lock box. i have one of those hard cases. Supposed to hold 4 guns. i have actually had 5 inside it at one time. 2 1851, 1 1860, 1 WALKER and 1 Ruger Mark II. pretty big case. so My bp guns get put in a case then i put a small lock on it. So they are all in compliance. Then the case gets put in the trunk.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=915564

theotherwaldo
September 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
I picked up several old-time Panasonic video camera cases from the local police. After carving some new foam liners, I find that these lockable instrument cases are ideal for carrying short guns, ammo, targets, and supplies to the range. Long guns go in the case, or in the closet if I take the old motor home to the range.

Calibre44
September 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
In the UK you can carry your BP pistol(s) to the range anyway you want to (walk, car, bus, bike, motorbike, train etc etc) so long as the pistol(s) are cased. I transport mine to the range in my car.

At home though, they must be stored in a gun safe except when you are cleaning or repairing them. (sometimes it takes me all day to clean and repair mine!;))

I have heard of a few UK shooters being challenged by over officious officials on our trains but so long as you have your Firearms Licence with you and the guns are cased there isnít usually a problem.

Here are a couple of pics of a nice case I picked up from Bass Pro in Orlando earlier this year:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/case.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/case1.jpg

oneshooter
September 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
Caliber44, are soft cases allowed, or do you have to have hard cases with locks. Just in case your PISTOL decides to go on a killing spree?:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Calibre44
September 7, 2008, 05:37 AM
:D:D:D
soft cases are fine but they must have a 'sturdy zip' just in case the gun trys to make a break for it:D

oneshooter
September 7, 2008, 03:43 PM
Heck Fire!! Thats easier than in New Jersey, or New York City!! There you have to have a locked hard case, seperate ammo, permit to own, and in NWC a permit to move it out of your home!!!!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas
And D**n glad of it!!!

Calibre44
September 7, 2008, 04:02 PM
Rifle are slightly different whereby the ammo should be kept separate in transit and if you leave your gun in the car it must be out of sight with the Bolt and/or Mag removed Ė but thatís it.

You do need a permit to buy, store and transport the BP however, because it falls under some explosives law. The permitís to make sure that you have the facilities for safe storage at home (wooden box chained to a wall) and that it is correctly labelled should your house catch fire so that any Firefighters are aware of whatís in it and can take whatever precautions they need to take.

The irony is that you can buy as many fireworks (which contain BP of course) as you like and store them anywhere in the house without any permit at all!

But I'm sure the Gov know waht they are doing:rolleyes:

hildo
September 8, 2008, 05:31 PM
In The Netherlands rules are quite stricked, probably even more so than in the UK.

We can carry guns to and from the range in any kind of transportbag, hard or soft, that you want. Wrapped in cloth, it makes no difference.
Car, motorcycle, walking, it's all Ok.
Guns may not be loaded.
You may not carry your guns on your body (concealed).
The trip to the range, back home or to the gun shop, must be the shortest route possible, any diviations are not allowed, neither are visits of any kind during that trip.
You may never leave your guns unattended in your car.

So, transport is not really that much of an issue, but some of the rest is.

All guns require a permit, unless they are antique BP.
AK47 of Pedersoli Brown Bess, there is no difference for the law.
You may not have more than 5 licensed guns (!), if you want another you will have to sell one of your guns first. That kinda sucks most in my perspective.
You need to shoot a minimum of 18 times a year or you will loose your gunpermit. It used to be 35 times a year for a total of 5 guns (!)
At home the licensed guns must be stored in a safe that is bolted to the wall, floor or both.
Nobody else may have access to the keys of your gun safe at any time.
Guns and ammo must be stored separately in your safe, the ammo must be locked separately.
You may not have ammo for guns you do not own.
The police can stop by your home to check your papers & guns, officially they should make a visit every year but sometimes it takes them longer... they have better things to do (catching criminals and such). Police visits are always in a friendly manner though, and if you do not have time at that moment they will make an appointment to come back.

You may have a max of 2kg BP in your home, or 3kg smokeless or 1kgBP + 1kg smokeless.
Max 10.000 rounds of ammo, total. Round balls are not 'ammo' and require no license anyway, but all other bullets do.
You may carry a maximum of 2000 rounds of ammo in your car, to the range or from the gunshop to your house.

Holland is not a bad country at all, and I wouldn't trade it for the US, but as a US gun enthousiast you can consider yourself very fortunate indeed.
But if you ever feel the need to smoke a joint, Holland is the place to be:)

Hildo

oneshooter
September 8, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hildo, My Brother in Law is Dutch. He had some kinpeople over last year for a visit. I took them out to the range for a little funtrigger time. They had a BLAST!!! However they never seemed to get used to me carryung a concealed handgun.:D

They enjoyed my flinters a lot, and I could not keep any of my percussion revolvers loaded.:D :D :D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

hildo
September 9, 2008, 04:26 PM
Oneshooter, you did a good thing to give them the experience.
People from Holland sure will have a blast shooting in the States.
I had one in the States as well, and will remember it!

Was in Lacrosse, Wisconsin a year ago, following a course for work.
Just had to visit a gunshop, and got to talking with this friendly guy and he invited me to have some fun at the range.
We went to his house to collect some guns, the man had a massive amount of them, and as much as would fit into his car were taken to the range.
I had a blast! Amongst others he let me shoot his full auto P90 and even with a .50 caliber Barret... both of which are not allowed here.
http://www.twolefthands.nl/Zwart%20Kruit/page10/Hildo_goes_usa/20070501Barrett.50.jpg
I am a true BP shooter, but even so it was great fun to be able to handle smokeless guns like that for once. An experience I will not forget.

I mean, even shooting open air is a problem here since we may only shoot at a range, and our ranges are indoor for safety. Holland is just too small, some 200 miles high and 100 miles wide, with way too many inhabitants (16 million) with just 40.000 licensed shooters amongst them. We are an absolute minority and have to be very carefull to not to give anybody a reason to pull the strings on gun ownership even further, something that happened in the UK where handguns were banned to a large degree.

Being able to buy as much replica BP guns as you have money to spend, it must be great.
I envy you guys in that respect, I really do.

Hildo

scrat
September 9, 2008, 04:34 PM
wow great story and pics Hildo

oneshooter
September 9, 2008, 10:58 PM
They are suposed to come over again this year and are alredy sending me E-Mails about taking the Garands, Enfields, and Mausers this time!! I do believe that I have a few converts!! :D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

If you enjoyed reading about "Transporting your Toys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!