would you shoot it

PDA

broken
September 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
well i got my 109.00 grease stick cleaned up and dang,its a nice rifle,never seen so much grease,action was stuck shut, 1944 kkale turk,feeds and ejects fine,alittle tight on opening and closing bolt,and i have cleaned the bolt out it was full too.pushed a grease snake out of the barrell ,still cleaning on it,but rifling looks good,but ive no access to no go gauges ,2 shops said if it closed on a live round shoot it and check case for any abnormal markings.it does,but it looks almost as nice as some persians ive seen.think its safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "would you shoot it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crazy Fingers
September 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
I personally think people are way too paranoid of old rifles. The dangerous ones are the hack jobs, which you can usually spot. If it was rechambered to .300 Mag or something, then I would watch out. But in its original form, shoot the damn thing.

rondog
September 6, 2008, 03:20 PM
IF you can find ammo for it, blast away!

broken
September 6, 2008, 03:28 PM
yeah im gonna do it this evening,im gonna clean the barrell one more time,wish my computer would post pictures,it is slick,seen alot of turks in the past but this one was well worth the troubleof bringing back to life..thanks.

scrat
September 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
im in agreement. get some ammo and start shooting

Vaarok
September 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
It's a '98 action, there's very little to no risk so long as you got the grease out of it. The majority of headspace issues come with stretching of reloaded brass. If you're shooting surp ammo, go have fun.

A good field test is take a piece of scotch tape on the base of a cartridge. If the rifle will still close without force, you probably have loose headspace.

45B@cav
September 6, 2008, 10:50 PM
I've seen 98 actions attached to erroded and pitted chambers splitting cases left and right. The owners still shot them daily. The packing cosmoline is hard to remove but make sure you get it all off. It's not a lubricant.

Daryl Licht
September 7, 2008, 12:01 AM
I have a kkale marked Mauser from 1944 also. I've shot it several times, with surplus Turk ammo. The pucker factor was high for the first few rounds, but I didn't have any problems with it.

paintballdude902
September 7, 2008, 12:13 AM
id scrub the chamber real well but i do that with anything that is(or was) full of cosmo

Der Verge
September 7, 2008, 11:11 AM
If you are worried about headspace, like so many warn about on old guns......

Tie a 15 foot string to the trigger, mount the gun to a bench with a strap, load it, get behind a barrier, and pull the string..........

If the gun is still in one piece.....extract the spent round, pull out some calipers and take a few measurements. Compare the measurements to a dimensional drawing of what the cartridge "should" measure. If everything is real close ( 1 maybe 2 thousandths) you should be fine.

If the gun self destructs, you will probably use a longer string next time.....

oneshooter
September 7, 2008, 11:43 AM
Or you could take it to a gunsmith and have him check the headspace. Most should have guages in 8mm Mauser, and it should not cost more than $20 or so. PLUS it takes a lot of the pucker factor out of shooting your new toy!!!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

rodregier
September 7, 2008, 06:30 PM
The other technique for test-firing an unknown condition rifle is tying it to a tire and using a long cord to pull the trigger while sheltering behind cover.

However, Oneshooter's gunsmith suggestion is a good start.

Der Verge
September 7, 2008, 09:45 PM
The only reason not to pay a smith $20 to check it with gauges is because.... you can buy a no-go gauge for $16.

If you enjoyed reading about "would you shoot it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!