This is beyond cute...

PDA

MicroBalrog
September 6, 2003, 12:01 PM
http://www.afghanwar.spb.ru:8101/12/7oni.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "This is beyond cute..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark Tyson
September 6, 2003, 12:05 PM
You back from basic training already?

MicroBalrog
September 6, 2003, 12:09 PM
Short 2-day leave, was back last week, too, and even posted in the Rifle Forum.:D

Oleg Volk
September 6, 2003, 12:11 PM
Funny, I was about to post that same picure and comment...reminds me of a 9yo who borrowed my M1 carbine at a range in Minnesota. All adults throught he was so cute with his cut-down .243 bolt action that folks would actually get 10-round boxes of ball for him to keep plinking.

TarpleyG
September 6, 2003, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's cute. He shouldn't have to keep that rifle to fight for his life day in and day out. It's sad, really. Children shouldn't have to fight our adult fights. Kids shooting for fun/instruction/future planning, sure, knock yourself out.

GT

Oleg Volk
September 6, 2003, 01:08 PM
He's carring that rifle for an adult. He's most likely looking up at the rifle's owner.

MicroBalrog
September 6, 2003, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure of that. At least that's not what the original photographer thought.:confused:

seeker_two
September 6, 2003, 01:14 PM
MB: That's a cute picture, but I didn't think IDF let you go through Basic barefoot.... :D

Tarpley: I agree with you. It's barbaric when children are made to fight men's wars while the old mullahs & such smoke their hookas & plan the suicides of others...:fire:

...but I hope this was a pic from a better time. :)

MicroBalrog
September 6, 2003, 02:03 PM
This one's cute, too

http://www.afghanwar.spb.ru:8101/10/we9.jpg

Shane
September 6, 2003, 02:10 PM
I don't think it's cute. He shouldn't have to keep that rifle to fight for his life day in and day out. It's sad, really. Children shouldn't have to fight our adult fights. Kids shooting for fun/instruction/future planning, sure, knock yourself out.

I agree. I don't think its cute. IMO, the kid has a scared look on his face.

If he was having a good time and target shooting for fun, thats one thing. But that picture looks like the kid is scared and has the rifle to defend himself from those that would harm him. A kid shouldn't be forced to fight the battles of adults, IMO.

repsychler
September 6, 2003, 02:16 PM
Anyone have a copy of the pic hosted elsewhere? I'm at work and can't make a connection on port 8101.

Bob R
September 6, 2003, 03:14 PM
Try this site, it is the site for a collection of Soviet Afghan War pics.

http://www.afghanwar.spb.ru:8101/index_e.html

bob

Standing Wolf
September 6, 2003, 03:16 PM
The lad looks old enough to start shooting to me, although I hope he doesn't have to start defending his life in the near future.

Sisco
September 6, 2003, 05:54 PM
Cute is a nine year old plinking tin cans with a .22.
A nine year old hugging an AK wondering what his future will be like is sad.

repsychler
September 6, 2003, 06:33 PM
Try this site, it is the site for a collection of Soviet Afghan War pics.
http://www.afghanwar.spb.ru:8101/index_e.html
bob

That's the same site that the original image is linked from, and requires one to connect to port 8101 instead of the standard web port of 80. It's blocked here at work, and I was just wondering if anyone know if it was posted elsewhere.

As an aside, I deal with people hotlinking my images into their blogs and forums all the time, and I find it quite rude when people steal my images and bandwidth without so much as a credit link back to my site. Not trying to flame anyone, just some food for thought.

Skunkabilly
September 6, 2003, 07:18 PM
http://www.petermore.com/Family/Jeff/c5.jpg

Me behind the wheel of a C5 Galaxy.

"Okey dokey Doctah Jones, hold onto your potatoes!" :p

seeker_two
September 6, 2003, 08:27 PM
Now THAT'S scary.... :what:

Skunkabilly
September 6, 2003, 09:58 PM
Yeah, just look at the artificial horizon....

ed dixon
September 6, 2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Sisco pegged it. Who knows what that boy saw before or after that pic was snapped.

Chipperman
September 6, 2003, 10:45 PM
I always wondered what happened to "Short Round".
Now we know he grew up into our own Skunk. :D

Even if the pic was totally staged, it's sad that this kid may have to defend himself with that rifle in the near future.

voilsb
September 6, 2003, 10:54 PM
And just think, that picture of skunk was only taken two days ago ...

spacemanspiff
September 6, 2003, 11:02 PM
in our American society, it is rare that our children have to be tasked with defending the home or their families. but the pictures microb posted are from an entirely different reality. they grow up seeing more reality firsthand than our kids do.
reality to Americans? often thats comprised of watching 'making the band' on tv, or gathering around the watercooler at the office at 8 am to discuss whos the newest sensation on american idol. for our kids it is wondering who is going to be the next wrestling superstar, or whether or not the new girl will go out with so-and-so.

i wouldnt call that first picture 'cute'. i'd say its a good dose of true-reality though.

Chipperman
September 6, 2003, 11:06 PM
The Kid is very cute, and the photograph is visually beautiful, but the circumstances are sad.

berettaman
September 7, 2003, 11:22 AM
What kind of tactical armament was on the C5?:evil:

HarryB
September 7, 2003, 11:28 AM
and was the C5 black, with lots of carbon fiber?

If you enjoyed reading about "This is beyond cute..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!