High quality AR15 magazines

PDA

Timradcliffe345
September 6, 2008, 10:35 PM
If YOU were to buy 20 high quality AR15 magazines, what would you get?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "High quality AR15 magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Picard
September 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'd mix up a few PMags with some C Products magazines. PMags are extremely reliable from what I have read. Aimsurplus is having a sale on the C Products ones. I just ordered a few as well.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR_15_M16_Magazines.html

jerkface11
September 6, 2008, 10:40 PM
P-Mags 20 and 30 round

cbrgator
September 6, 2008, 10:42 PM
What's the purpose of a 20 round magazine over a 30 rounder?

FlyinBryan
September 6, 2008, 10:44 PM

benchrest shooting is one reason, 30s are too long for most bipods

ForneyRider
September 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
Check around for bulk deal on PMAGs. I got some from Cheaper than Dirt.

They have a new see-through slot model.

Daryl Licht
September 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
The last batch of AR mags I bought were Pmags and C-Products. There are a lot of good ones out there.

I saw some new Okay Industries 30 round mags with green followers at a show today for $10 each. They were from the ban era, and were marked as such, which may be why they were that cheap. A couple of dollars each for some Magpul followers and I'd be tickled pink with them.

The magazine section over at arfcom has some good info.

marineman
September 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
Buy in bulk from Bravo Company USA. They are probably the least expensive new teflon coated 30round magazines you will find.

HorseSoldier
September 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
P-Mags

possum
September 6, 2008, 11:11 PM
mag pul pmags. period nuff said

mgregg85
September 6, 2008, 11:16 PM
pmags

nalioth
September 6, 2008, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry folks. USGI pattern AR15 mags just don't cut it in my book. OKay, C-Products, etc, they're all USGI pattern.

Magpul P-Mags are top drawer with a distant second choice of H&K High Reliability mags

model 649
September 6, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have 10 c-products mags now and they have all been FLAWLESS.
Josh

Safety First
September 6, 2008, 11:21 PM
Magpul 30 and 20 rounders with or with out window in the 30 rd...gotta luv um

mgregg85
September 6, 2008, 11:23 PM
H&K High Reliability mags

Aren't those things ridiculously expensive compared to any other mag? I think I remember seeing them for $50 to $60 a piece. Maybe that was during the AWB?

nitesite
September 6, 2008, 11:24 PM
Best 20-rd mags I've purchased recently were D&H Industries black teflon, marked for military/govt/law enforcement only.

Strangely, they are dated '06.

MMcfpd
September 6, 2008, 11:27 PM
I've got some of everything mentioned so far, and most are pretty good, but my "Don't leave home without 'em" mags are NHMTG straight 20s.

ir3e971
September 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Brownells and PMAGs

twofourthree73
September 6, 2008, 11:42 PM
P-Mags are the only mags I own.

HorseSoldier
September 7, 2008, 01:48 AM
distant second choice of H&K High Reliability mags

I get the HK mags issued for free, and still prefer good condition USGI aluminum over them (and P-Mags over either). Seen entirely too many HK uber-mags fail to perform due to bent feed lips. I know enough to keep them running, but why something so easily 100% deadlined by Joe being a bit too energetic loading them would be preferable to a USGI mag is beyond me.

For mags I'm paying out of pocket for, four USGIs or PMags are definitely more value than one HK mag.

basicblur
September 7, 2008, 01:58 AM
Might wanna read this (http://www.ar15.com/content/products/magazines/information.html)?

Doing some research myself, and based on the article above I'm kinda leaning towards the black Teflon ones from 44mag. (http://www.44mag.com/)

'Course, wadda I know-I've got a bunch of Orlites I bought before a lot of posters here were probably born!
Sounded like the ticket back then, but I've since been informed by many they're junk.
Strangely, never had a problem with one yet!

mljdeckard
September 7, 2008, 02:29 AM
Pmags, BUT ALSO, if I find any USGI mag shell in good shape with good feed lips, I'll rebuild it with magpul spring, follower, and floorplate and throw it in with the rest of them.

Phelptwan
September 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
PMags, just bought 20...

briansmithwins
September 7, 2008, 09:26 AM
Pmags or CProducts stainless steel 30s.

I ran the stainless steel mags for 2 years of rifle matches and a class and never had one fail. They are pretty darn tough. That said, The Pmags are tougher.

Either is way more durable than USGI. BSW

Shung
September 7, 2008, 09:43 AM
pmags. nothing beat it.

paratroop23
September 7, 2008, 09:46 AM
Pmags!!

onebigelf
September 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
+1 on all the P-mags and C-products stainless. I like the Pmags and think a couple loaded ones with the covers on are a great thing. I'm not about to bet my butt on ANY plastic mag as my sole or even primary magazine. Particularly something that hasn't been out but about a year and thus has no real longevity history. C-products stainless mags are flawless, durable, and are less than $13 each with magpul followers. No brainer.

John

MMcfpd
September 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
I use C Products mags, but I had this experience with one of their stainless ones about a year and a half ago:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/misfeed.jpg

It dropped that way after an FTF jam. While C Products did replace it, that and a few minor malfunctions have kept me from thinking of them as my primary magazines.

No explanation ever surfaced for the above, but somebody on arfcom did note that viewing the pic gave him a craving for french fries.

M110
September 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
I have a buttload of USGI style mags in aluminum, and stainless steel. Some are c-product, D&H, NHMTG, HK's. All work.

I cant stand tupperware, so wont own any of the p-mags.:p

basicblur
September 7, 2008, 03:26 PM
I cant stand tupperware, so wont own any of the p-mags
I keep hearing 'bout how good P-Mags are...anybody got any info that would justify it or is P-Mag just the Kool-Aid flavor of the month?

Got quite a few Orlites myself, but back when I bought them there wasn't nearly as much info/choices as there are now. I read the Israeli Orlites were designed to be more reliable, 'specially in a sandy environment, and since there seemed to be so much trouble with existing mags I took a chance on 'em.

I'm getting ready to load up on some more mags, and I find it hard to believe you can "beat" USGI mags (unless somebody can point me to some info). Over at 44mag.com and the link to the magazine article I posted earlier, sounds like the latest USGI issue is the black Teflon.

I’m probably going to get away from plastic this go ‘round and go with the black Teflon units-still haven’t decided on which brand-probably D&H (formerly Labelle) or possibly CProducts.

SoCalShooter
September 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
(jokinly) you could buy the HK ones but if your not an operator they wont sell them to you but they get your cyclic rate up to 8000 rpm :)

I order the sale mags on midway usa and have not had any issues they are STONER mags.

Creature
September 7, 2008, 03:30 PM

Most single boxes of ammo come with only 20 rounds in them...

SamG.
September 7, 2008, 03:31 PM
Pmags or Easy mags.

wcwhitey
September 7, 2008, 03:38 PM
I have Cproducts 30 rounders, NHMTG 20 rounders, a few OK and Imperial. All work flawless. The only GI mags I have ever had a problem with are some old Colt Vietnam era with metal follower. Rebuilt them with new springs and followers and they are now good to go. I also agree if you are going to get new ones might as well get the black Teflon coating. The mags stay looking better longer. JMHO Bill

P.S. 44Mag.Com has all the current combo's at competitive prices as well as spare parts such as base plates, followers and new spings. They also sell every brand mentioned above so you can compare for yourself.

SoCalShooter
September 7, 2008, 03:39 PM

Well standard issue used to be 20's CMP and highpower rifle matches require you used 20 rounders not 30 and not 10 unless its a 10/20

Tully M. Pick
September 7, 2008, 03:45 PM
I keep hearing 'bout how good P-Mags are...anybody got any info that would justify it or is P-Mag just the Kool-Aid flavor of the month?

Flavor of the month. When someone starts calling USGI magazines that have worked flawlessly since I borrowed them from Uncle Sam 16 years ago "junk" because they aren't made out of plastic and have a window cut into them, I tend to disregard their opinion.

That being said, I may get a few, just for testing purposes.

Z-Michigan
September 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
For starters, I wouldn't limit myself to just 20.

Cammenga Easymags are my #1 pick right now. They are tough, and their function has been flawless in my testing in several AR's, including a friend's POF piston AR. (However, they were not reliable in an FN FS2000 - for what it's worth.) They have their own videos showing them surviving the same kind of abuse that Magpul does to Pmags. They are pricey, but very good. Best price I've seen is $25 each at CDNN.

I have an HK high reliability mag. It will sit in its bag unused as a collector item, or to resell at a 500% profit if there's another ban. They're too expensive to take seriously for real use, and I don't perceive any significant benefit to them.

Pmags are good, but I'm not gulping the kool-aid. They look nice and fit well. Big issue is the unknown question of how that polymer will hold up in 10-20 years. Magpul won't tell you what it is or how long it will last, and their own statements indicate little confidence beyond 10 years. Oh, maybe it will last longer, but why take a chance? I think they would be good if you shoot a huge amount and view mags as a consumable, but I wouldn't store them away in anticipation of a ban or use 30 years from now.

CProducts stainless steel mags are very good, especially for the price. You MUST, MUST, MUST test every single magazine you buy from CProducts, as their quality control is poor and many mags are out of spec. I say this both from personal experience and literally dozens of threads on AR15.com. They are good about replacing defective mags, but you have to find the defective ones first. If you're willing to test every single mag with a full 30rds, they are one of the best values for durability to price.

For nice simple GI mags, the DPMS aluminum mags with teflon coating are quite nice, and in my experience have functioned 100% of the time. I have not had any problem with the green GI followers, either.

Thermolds by Master Molder are an option, but for about the same price Pmags are probably better. All the same comments about plastic apply.

Absolutely avoid Promags, USA, and Triple-K, I don't think I need to explain why.

Timradcliffe345
September 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
For starters, I wouldn't limit myself to just 20

Then what is a good number to keep for (1) one rifle, anticipating they might not be available in the future? Thanks.

Fast Frank
September 7, 2008, 04:36 PM

It's not that the GI mags are junk. I've got some of them and they work.

The Pmag has a follower that won't tilt, and it moves very smoothly in the body of the mag. In my eyes, it's better.

The Pmag lips are made in such a way as to allow the round to be stripped out with about half the effort required of a GI mag. If you slide a round out of a Pmag and a GI mag with your finger, you will be amazed at the difference. In my eyes, it's better.

The Pmag comes with a cover that snaps over the lips to protect them. this cover keeps trash out of loaded mags, removes the spring tension from the lips to prevent deforming them, prevents impact damage, and includes a "Go-No go" gage to inspect the lips with. It also can be used as a tool to dis assemble the mag and strip rounds out. In my eyes, it's better.

The Body of the Pmag is substantially stouter than the aluminum GI mag. It won't dent and bind the follower. In my eyes, it's better.

The appearance of the Pmag is neater, and looks good when it's inserted in my expensive rifle. In my eyes, it's better.

When you weigh the pros and cons (I'm not aware of any cons) against the fact that the Pmag cost the same as the GI mag, the Pmag is a clear winner.

If you wanna call that Kool-Aid, go ahead. I don't mind.

The next mag I buy for my AR will be another Pmag.

Z-Michigan
September 7, 2008, 04:43 PM
Well, no magic number. I would probably start out with:
4 Cammenga Easymags
6-8 Cproducts stainless 30rds
2-4 Cproducts stainless 20rds (straight 20's)
10+ quality GI aluminum mags - I mentioned DPMS, but I think they were probably actually made by either D&H or NHMTG. Most GI style aluminum mags are made by one of those companies, and if they aren't from those two or Cproducts, they're probably junk.
? some Pmags for fun and color-coordination

44mag.com is a good bet for all but the Easymags, where CDNN seems to be the best bet.

BTW, I forgot to say in my first post that Pmags won't fit in most GI-style magazine pouches, or if they do you'll be getting 2 Pmags in the space that otherwise holds 3 GI mags. The Cammenga mags and stainless steel Cproducts mags are basically the same size as GI mags and don't have this issue.

kcshooter
September 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
Colt

CB900F
September 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
Fella's;

So what's the read on Brownell's AR mags? They say, of course, that they're the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. What's the board say?

900F

HorseSoldier
September 7, 2008, 09:10 PM
I don't know if P-Mags are just flavor of the month. I do know I've been using them for a while now with zero issues from any of the 7-8 I have yet, including some heavier shooting than most do either on .mil ranges or at classes I've attended. I do think, looking at them, that they are a better thought out design than USGI or HKs, though both of those are quite workable when in good condition.

M110
September 7, 2008, 11:05 PM
So what's the read on Brownell's AR mags? They say, of course, that they're the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. What's the board say?

900F

I know that at one time c-product was supplying brownells with AR mags. But I think they make there own now. But I dont own any.

USMC_2674
September 7, 2008, 11:14 PM
I ordered 100 Cproduct stainless steel mags two+ years ago.

I had to return them 3 times. First return was 70+ of the 100. Next return was 45 of the 70+. Last return was 23 of 45.

Failure to feed. Mag spring getting caught. Not fitting into the mag well.

I still haven't gotten the 23 back from LJ (Larry Jr). And they stopped returning my phone calls and emails.

I will never order from CProducts again.

PMags have been flawless.

I'm not the only one with huge problems with CProducts either.

RockyMtnTactical
September 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have USGI mags and PMAG's. Both are excellent.

That goes for 20's and 30's.

BIGRETIC
September 8, 2008, 02:06 AM
All of the PMAGS I bought run smooth.I will buy more!!!!

ForneyRider
September 8, 2008, 02:08 AM
There is a video of guys running over various magazines and then testing them. The PMAG was the only one to survive the torture test. I believe Orlite, H&K, and some of the metal mags were tested.

I use PMAGs, they work great, but I am not an AR afficionado. I buy good mags: Wilson 47D and Metalform for my 1911, and factory stock for the Bersa.

Oohrah
September 8, 2008, 02:49 AM
Any combo that 44 Mag will put together. Favorite MagPul but have
a couple of different brands rebuilt with MagPul springs and followers.
Read about the same tests as above plus other torture tests including
sand burrials (tap out and fire !!!)

G.A.Pster
September 8, 2008, 02:53 AM
Buy Cproducts mags with magpull followers from these guys.

You get free shipping over $200.

They’re $10.49

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CP30

sadp40
September 8, 2008, 02:56 AM
all the way. they are the pinnacle of ar mag development. i won't say that pmags are not good as i have had good luck with those as well. i just prefer the hk maitime mags.

rob_s
September 8, 2008, 05:33 AM
CProducts magazines are iffy at best and the company is run by a nitwit. I have had nothing but problems with the 5.56 and 9mm AR mags I've bought from them. They must have monkeys making the magazines over there, 'cause I know a monkey is in charge.

Camenga Easymags are a solution looking for a problem. Get one of these (http://www.betaco.com/details.asp?rid=564&weapon=M16/M4%20TAN) and don't look back.

HK mags have proven not to be the godsend that everyone thought they were. Among other things, the fact that they are from HK screws them up pretty royally. You CANNOT get spare parts from HK. Spring goes bad? chuck it. Follower problems? chuck it. In addition they have proven not to be the uber-reliable solution that they were expected to be. Many people that are actually issued the damn things ditch them for other options.

GI mags were, are, and will be more than sufficient. I prefer to get mine from Bravo Company USA (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-magazines-beta-s/21.htm) which sells the D&H magazines with their own floorplates. If you buy in lots of 100 (get a few friends to go in with you) they can be had for $10/ea with the green followers or $11 with the Magpul anti-tilt followers. Best deal going anywhere.

As to the Pmags, I like them just fine. I find the debate over them somewhat humorous, as most of the detractors refer to "the kool aid" which is usually a sign to me that it's time to put that person on ignore if the forum has that feature. Those that lack facts and knowledge resort to cliches, and interweb cliches like "drink the kool aid" are the worst.

I have 11 Pmags and like several things about them. As mentioned above, the effort required to strip a round out of the magazine is much less than an aluminum or stainless magazine. Also, you can load 30 rounds and still reliably seat the magazine on a closed bolt. The wide floor plate also makes a good gripping surface for certain kinds of reloads.

Z-Michigan
September 8, 2008, 10:37 AM
Camenga Easymags are a solution looking for a problem.

The slide open front is basically a novelty for loading, but is extremely handy for unloading and cleaning. I also think their construction and strength would be worth the price without the slide open feature. CProducts' stainless mags originally sold for almost $20 and aren't nearly as good. I wouldn't be surprised if the Easymags come down in price within a few months.

Cammenga Easymag torture test videos are here:

http://www.cammenga.com/cammenga-products.php?category=5

Get one of these and don't look back.

Is there something that makes that $22 device in tan work better than this black version of the exact same thing for $11?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=926403&t=11082005

I have two, they work great. Promag's magazines are usually poor, but this loader is so simple the Promag version works 100%.

nalioth
September 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
You CANNOT get spare parts from HK. Spring goes bad? chuck it. Follower problems? chuck it. ORLY? MagPul followers work fine in them. So do high quality replacement springs.

These items are probably less expensive than what H&K would charge for "their" stuff.

/nalioth doesn't chuck anything that is repairable/

rob_s
September 8, 2008, 12:12 PM
Is there something that makes that $22 device in tan work better than this black version of the exact same thing for $11?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...403&t=11082005
No, I just went to the website and clicked on the first one that popped up. Wasn't too concerned with the price.

RockyMtnTactical
September 8, 2008, 01:23 PM
HK mags are like many things HK. Overpriced and overrated.

CProducts are fairly suspect much of the time as well. I wouldn't buy 'em.

D&H mags and PMAG's are all I have been buying lately.

jerkface11
September 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
A lot of the guys on AR15.com have already worn out the HK mags.

SoCalShooter
September 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
all the way. they are the pinnacle of ar mag development. i won't say that pmags are not good as i have had good luck with those as well. i just prefer the hk maitime mags.

But you have to remember you have to be an OPERATOR to use HK magazines and weapons. HK nicht fur die volks

Lonestar.45
September 8, 2008, 06:25 PM
P-Mags, no question.

I had been running D&H teflon coated mags w/magpul followers, and some c-products w/magpuls, some GI w/green followers thrown in as well. I had no problems with any of them.

I tried PMags to see what the fuss was about and really like them. No question they are tougher, I think they are much much more resistent to damage and will last longer personally. I will only buy PMags from here on out unless they go out of business.

dispatch55126
September 8, 2008, 08:29 PM

Easier to shoot from a bench, don't stick out as far to catch on things, less weight in the rifle and they just look better. I have both 20's and 30'ss, but my 20's are used most often.

For 20's, stick with USGI and pmag. The pmag's are virtually indestructible but haven't been around long enough to show endurance. The USGI 20's have been around for 50 years and still run great.

Rokman
September 8, 2008, 08:37 PM
P-Mags!

Crunker1337
September 8, 2008, 08:44 PM
PMag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc

matrem
September 8, 2008, 09:08 PM
I've owned quite a few & tried far more brands.As of right now being sold the "best/most reliable for the $ with ZERO modifications are AR Stoners.
That is based on full top to bottom tests on about two dozen 20 rd & about fifteen 30 rd mags.I have NOT had any failures with P-Mags,and as far as I can recall,have never shot an HK mag.
My point being,I'd certainly not say that Stoners are any better than P-Mags or HKs,but they're FAR cheaper than HKs,at least as cheap as Ps & have never let me down.

If you enjoyed reading about "High quality AR15 magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!