Too many closed threads!!!

PDA

hithard
September 7, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm a bit dumb founded by the amount of threads that are locked out to further replies. It just defines the fact that the first ammendment died here while the second lies ready to rot on the vine.

No doubt I will be scolded or banned for this post. But that will just prove even further that this type of tyrany is worth standing up against.

"John wears a long mustache"

"Can you describe the ruckus?, Sir"

It's been fun boy's, see you on the other side.

\

Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Too many closed threads!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
janobles14
September 7, 2008, 03:32 AM
here here

ants
September 7, 2008, 03:42 AM
Just for the sake of gentlemanly discussion, I will cut-and-paste from the Forum rules:

The First Amendment is greatly respected here on The High Road, as are all other Amendments that the Second Amendment defends. However, The High Road is private property and requests that members adhere to all forum policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who become members of The High Road. Those who break forum rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue to frequent or start your own board.

Thank you for allowing me the priviledge to contribute constructively.

I'm Thinking...
September 7, 2008, 04:54 AM
hithard, didn't you really mean to say "Too many closed threads"?

There is a very considerable difference in meaning between how you
wrote your Subject-line, and how I would have written [it].

CajunBass
September 7, 2008, 08:30 AM
Obviously you didn't read the forum rules when you signed on. Don't worry. A lot of other people didn't either or they figure "they don't mean ME." That's how threads get locked.

Raccoon
September 7, 2008, 09:02 AM
With every right comes responsibility. It is the duty of the moderators to keep this site both a positive atmosphere for its members and on-lookers, and to keep it useful with only quality discussion both topical and worth reading.

There are more than 6 pro-gun forums and many people choose The High Road because it offers the best signal-to-noise ratio on the market. It is perhaps the most effective forum in taking a borderline anti-' and turning him pro-'. For that reason, it remains necessary for certain discussions to be ended when they've reached their half-life.

Odds are the NY Times wouldn't publish it either, so complain to them about your 1A rights. Then shoot up a police station to affirm your 2A rights. :rolleyes:

Schmidlin
September 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
also forums are not a democracy its a dictatorship. Bitch and moan all you want about that but its true. The owners of the forums are the right to, for a lack of a better word, "censor" the forums. They created a set of rules that everyone who joins must follow.

Follow those rules and you are fine. Break the rules and the mods have every right to delete/lock the threads. Also in creating rules they are able to keep the topic of discussion on track and suitable for all ages to read.

cassandrasdaddy
September 7, 2008, 10:28 AM
too many people who napped in school when thet discussed the constitution. some have poor understanding of the first amendment.

donato
September 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think this is one of those threads that should be locked!

misANTHrope
September 7, 2008, 11:07 AM
I think your post has committed an act of tyranny against the English language.

Harvster
September 7, 2008, 11:13 AM
Everyone is free to start their own forum and run it however they choose. These fine folks here have set the rules for their game. Or alternatively, find a public square, get an old milk crate, climb up, and exercise your first amendment rights all day long.

Chuck Dye
September 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
House rules: if you don't like them or wish to abide by them, don't enter the house.

I have often thought that the search function should allow for calling up locked threads so that new members might read them and learn the dimensions of the envelope. In addition, there is some entertainment value in how threads get closed, especially by Lawdog and Art Eatman.

Claude Clay
September 7, 2008, 12:40 PM
to paraphrase Lazarus Long
if this community is getting too crowded for you; especially with rules you dont like--go start your own. or fix this one. but if you are just going to complain--dont
just another way of saying: lead, follow or get out of the way

evan price
September 8, 2008, 12:26 AM
The First Amendment deals only with what the government may not do- it has no bearing upon how individuals deal with each other.

Feel free to leave, we won't notice.

sm
September 8, 2008, 12:33 AM
Please read again the Rules of Conduct.

You ain't supposed to fuss at Mods on Sunday!
Sunday is re-stock the fridge day.

*yep*

Mrs. Armoredman
September 8, 2008, 12:35 AM
to paraphrase Lazarus Long
if this community is getting too crowded for you; especially with rules you dont like--go start your own. or fix this one. but if you are just going to complain--dont
just another way of saying: lead, follow or get out of the way

I AGREE 100%

geekWithA.45
September 8, 2008, 01:23 AM
Ahhh!

I just *love* closing threads complaining about closed threads.

It's very self referential you know.

We moderators do it for fun, with malice aforethought, usually while gleefully cackling over noxious concoctions boiling in a great iron urn.

ArfinGreebly
September 8, 2008, 01:26 AM
Sometimes a little study of history will explain much.

Yes, I know that digging around in the archaeological portion of The High Road is a lot like work, but there's a wealth of fossil threads that would explain (once you assembled enough of the skeleton) what had happened to the tribes of the once great nation of Legal & Political, and you can even unlock the secrets of how The Round Table sank beneath the waves.

Things that are mere customs now, like having your posts locked or deleted for political content, are merely the symbolic rituals that remain from the great Flood of Incivility and Noise that saw the entire Round Table banished, and the Great Thread Pollution Catastrophe that ended the "& Political" forum in what many believed was a volcanic eruption.

Several of the gods and titans of those days have retired, taking with them the Banstick of Ultimate Suffering and the fabled Clue By Four. Even the Goddess of Snark is seldom seen any more, and is rumored to have been a myth -- after all, who ever heard of a five-foot-twelve-inch celestial being as terrible as she was beautiful?

Yes, those heady days of two-fisted moderators, laying about themselves with cudgel and club, deleting not only awesomely stupid threads, but also the trolls, morlocks, and other subterranean dwellers who wrote them . . . those days are, sadly, gone . . . sensed only at a distance of time as mere shadows of past greatness and glory.

Now and again some brave soul will venture into the halls of lore and discover the truth of the upheavals and cataclysms of olden times, and come away humbled and enlightened, with a new understanding of why today's Guardians of the Road close "apparently" harmless threads: for in these innocuous, seemly benign, if somewhat clumsy and petulant missives, are the seeds of yet another Armathreaddon that could bring about The End Of The Road As We Know It.

Seek wisdom if you must, but have a care: the Truth is a dangerous thing -- should you ever discover it, you must never, ever turn your back on it.

So, right, then. What was the question?

If you enjoyed reading about "Too many closed threads!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!