Anyone ever done this? Glass-bed, THEN pressure-bed

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 7, 2008, 07:02 AM
Anyone ever done this to a turnbolt rifle:

-Acraglas bed action & chamber, & freefloat, with "meh" results, then
-Pressure-bed at the front of the forestock, and then get actually better results?

??

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone ever done this? Glass-bed, THEN pressure-bed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Horsemany
September 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
I've done it on sporter weight barrels that liked a little pressure. It's certainly not the majority of guns that prefer this. And the best part is the pressure point is easily removed if it doesn't give gains in accuracy. I would prefer to do it in reverse order if possible. Meaning bed the action and leave the factory pressure point(if the gun has one.) Then remove the pressure point if desired(float the barrel).

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 7, 2008, 06:11 PM
Horsemany, thanks. Well, it worked today. I got a 0.366" CTC group at 78 lasered yards with this rifle - that computes to 0.448 MOA (sub-1/2 MOA), when previously could not get better than 2.25 MOA. This is with ye olde folded-wax-paper pressure-bedding trick. Also done with plain vanilla factory ammo (Win Super X). I'm happy, but not ecstatic, since this was with a 3-shot group. My two serious attempts at 5-shot groups each had 1 or 2 mini-fliers and thus came in around 1 MOA. P.S. Yes this is a sporter weight barrel also.

skinewmexico
September 7, 2008, 07:55 PM
I've heard that about sporter barrels too. I've known some people who just put an o-ring in the forearm and tightened it up.

Ratshooter
September 7, 2008, 08:11 PM
Its sorta funny how everyone thinks that floating a barrel is an accuracy trick. When I first read about this in the early eighties the pupose was to keep a wood stock from warping and moving your and POI.

Ross Seyfried wrote the first article I read about doing this and the reason for doing it was for consistancy in grouping no matter what the weather did. He said the accuracy may fall off a little but the POI would be the same even if the stock picked up moiture of dried out.

I have an 8x57 mauser my grandfather sporterized and gave to my father in 1963. I received the rifle from father about 15 years ago. I tried floating the barrel because the stock had warped and the gun was shooting left.

The barrel is thin because it is the military barrel with the steps turned off. It didn't shoot worth a darn free floated. I had to go back and bed the whole barrel channel. It shoots fine now and has not changed POI in 15 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone ever done this? Glass-bed, THEN pressure-bed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!