Safe 200gr 45 Colt load?

PDA

Nickelboy
September 7, 2008, 10:08 AM
I just cast my first 200gr LSWC, unfortunately all the loads listed for 200gr are for powders I don't have. Does anyone have a safe recipe using AA#7 or H110 or HS6? I'll be using a BlackHawk so I have some wiggle room in terms of Safe too.

Thanks,
Nickelboy

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe 200gr 45 Colt load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
September 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
200 gr. starting with 10.3 of HS-6. Lyman 47

ArchAngelCD
September 8, 2008, 02:13 AM
H110 and AA#7 are both a little slow for use in a standard pressure .45 Colt load. Even HS-6 is a little slow for such a light bullet and would work better with a 250/255gr lead bullet.

Listen, if you are going to load for the Colt why not buy a pound of powder that will be more appropriate for the caliber? W231/HP-38, AA#2, Unique and a few others are in the correct burn rate range for the .45 Colt. You will get better results with the correct powder.

mkl
September 8, 2008, 10:03 AM
I agree that buying a pound of a more appropriate powder would be the best way to go.

I worked up a load for Unique a couple of weeks ago that gave excellent results.

Gun: S&W 25-5 with six-inch barrel
Bullet: 200 grain lead SWC
Powder: 8.5 grains Unique
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol (Regular)
Average velocity (12 feet to 1st screen): 877 fps
Extreme Spread: 20 fps
Standard Deviation: 7.6 fps
Number of shots: 6

Mild recoil, very good accuracy.

scrat
September 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
try 6 grains of trail boss. Works really good

Nickelboy
September 8, 2008, 10:16 AM
I gave up on what I had and picked up some HP-38. Now I'm getting picky I guess, but I don't like using powder that a double charge would fit into the case, is there something fluffier? I'm trying to use up the HS-6 for the same reason.

rcmodel
September 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
Can't double charge it?
You're talking about a .45 Colt here!

Finding a powder that you couldn't double-charge is a pretty tall order.

The only one I know of is Trail Boss, as scrat already suggested.

rcmodel

scrat
September 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
yep. even with 6 grains of trail boss it fills about 1/2 the case. its a really good powder though. Anyone who has used it will tell you

jim147
September 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
If your worried about a double charge go with black powder.
It's what that case was made for.

ArchAngelCD
September 9, 2008, 02:10 AM
If you use Trail Boss just be careful not to over-charge even a little. Trail Boss is such a fast powder the pressures can spike quickly when you use even a little too much. (I'm not telling you not to use it, just warning you to be careful)

On a lighter note you chose the powder I like to use in the .45 Colt. You will like the results you get with W231/HP-38. As for using up your supply of HS-6, I see on your list of guns you have a .357 Magnum. HS-6 will provide you with very accurate medium to heavy .357 Magnum rounds for your SP101. Great powder that HS-6 is, especially with lead bullets... Very accurate and low flash!

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe 200gr 45 Colt load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!